HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Willing to die on Mars?

Old
03-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Indeed! Those heading out to explore had no way of knowing if they'd make it to land before they ran out of water or even food, but they went anyway. Unfortunately, there's a lot less oxygen, more radiation, less food and water and less ability to get more, though. They also don't have the Native American trails and agricultural fields to take over and use once they're all dead of disease.

They need to bring a huge drill to get to the core. Then they can use a series of nukes to get the core spinning again, like in The Core. Then they can plant a bunch of ferns and let them make succulent oxygen without fear of solar winds stripping it away.
Correction, zero food, zero o2, zero water. Big difference from explorers who traveled over a body of water to traveling to a whole new planet that is just a big rock with nothing on it.

Unless you can eat the planet? Im not sure what Mars is made out of

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:44 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Unless you can eat the planet? Im not sure what Mars is made out of
A creamy caramel filling with soft nougat and crunchy almonds, all covered in a layer of sweet, sweet milk chocolate...

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
So pretty much they are asking, "Who willingly wants to spend the rest of their life locked up like a criminal who committed murder?"

But then again at least those guys get fresh air and visitation rights.
Quote:
Where will they be going once they arrive? Right to their pods or whatever they will call them. Seems like a jail cell to me. Can't leave, cant go anywhere. They won't be outside on the planet making huts and cabins and starting a new civilization
Quote:
6 Months or the rest of your life, yea that sounds very similar. And at least your getting back to use all that money you will make.
People are motivated by different things. Some people will be motivated to take this chance (assuming it actually happens) to be part of the history of space travel.

If you're not motivated by that, it's perfectly fine. I know that I'm not interested in the slightest to sign up for this.

But you can at least make an attempt to see this situation from their point of view.

---

You could make similar arguments for everything you're saying about the people who signed up for military service during wartime. Many of them were heading towards their own deaths as surely as these eventual people are. And there's not much way to spend money when you're dead in a trench.

A one-way trip to Mars may be similar in many ways to prison. Life as a soldier during the WW1 may be similar in many ways to being taken out behind the shed and executed by a firing squad. But there are real differences that matter to a lot of people.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
People are motivated by different things. Some people will be motivated to take this chance (assuming it actually happens) to be part of the history of space travel.

If you're not motivated by that, it's perfectly fine. I know that I'm not interested in the slightest to sign up for this.

But you can at least make an attempt to see this situation from their point of view.

---

You could make similar arguments for everything you're saying about the people who signed up for military service during wartime. Many of them were heading towards their own deaths as surely as these eventual people are. And there's not much way to spend money when you're dead in a trench.

A one-way trip to Mars may be similar in many ways to prison. Life as a soldier during the WW1 may be similar in many ways to being taken out behind the shed and executed by a firing squad. But there are real differences that matter to a lot of people.
Merci and well put. We each have our own interests and for some financial reward is not as big of a motivator as being part of an adventure etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:30 AM
MarkGio

You could die on Earth a million ways without dignity or you can make a sacrifice for all humans and history.

Still, count me out.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:31 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
I don't think this mission will go ahead. It'll get cancelled.

I wouldn't want to go. It sounds like a crappy life in return for a little fame (I personally don't believe the reaction will be similar to the first manned moon mission).
Oh I don't know about that...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Was talking to my mom about this yesterday and she said she would actually do it. She would love to be part of the history and to see another planet. She also has bad rheumatoid arthritis and the lower gravity on Mars would actually be good for her and her joints.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:01 PM
El Gato Bodegero

If I could smoke during the whole trip I would do it without thinking twice about it.

El Gato Bodegero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

So apparently the reality show is just to choose the astronauts.

With the recent confirmation that Mars has the same compounds as earth (just not the same exact amounts) - it would be cool if they could be harnessed to make Mars livable at some point in the distant future.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
for those who want immortality in the annals of history, this is definitely one way to do it. The first guy to die (and walk) on Mars is going to be remembered for as long as Neil Armstrong will be for being the first to walk on the moon
Longer than Neil Armstrong. This is like Columbus big.

04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
She also has bad rheumatoid arthritis and the lower gravity on Mars would actually be good for her and her joints.
Tell her to look into Anatabloc, it's expensive but works, my mom takes it for her arthritis, I take it for sinus relief.

http://anatabloc.com/home/

reviews from GNC,

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18604166

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Dado

vCash:
I agree that the odds of this mission actually happening are very remote. But it's still pretty cool to dream about...

Old
04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
To test your resolve, candidates must spend a year camping in the arizona desert and not leave their tent. 8 years of training for what? How to not get so bored and go nuts and kill yourself? Send this guy;
Is there internet access? That's all some people need any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I wish I were so rich I could amuse myself by firing people into space with no intention of bringing them back.
I could picture this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Hmm lets see.
Or this:

Not fair. That's like the most beautiful place on the planet.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Is there internet access? That's all some people need any more.
You could take a world of warcraft hardcore raider and they probably wouldn't even notice the lack of gravity

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

It does look like they are moving forward with the idea. Of course does not mean it will ultimately happen but someone wants to at least try.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...lications.html

Quote:
Want to spend the rest of your life on Mars? You can apply to do so now.

Mars One, a non-profit organization that plans to send humans on a one-way trip to establish a permanent settlement on Mars in 2023, began accepting online applications Monday.

"We are very excited about launching the selection program," said Bas Landorp, co-founder and CEO of the Netherlands-based group, in a statement announcing the start of the selection process. "This is an international mission and it is very important for the project that anyone anywhere can ask themselves: Do I want this? Am I ready for this? If the answer is yes then we want to hear from you."

The program is looking for applicants 18 and older "who are both mature and interesting," but there is no requirement for any particular academic or professional background, as astronauts will spend seven years learning all the skills they need, said a Mars One news release.

Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical officer, said because the mission involves a permanent settlement, the organization is more concerned with "how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges" than whether they have traditional astronaut qualities such as bravery or experience piloting a supersonic jet.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-24-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: copyright
Old
04-24-2013, 12:24 AM
MarkGio

So many things could go wrong. What if the person hates their fellow crew mate? You could murder them, and the police ain't coming.

Or what if the supplies crash landed off course, and it would take another 5 years before more come?

What if you get hurt, or sick? What if something goes wrong with a critical component of the oxygen system?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:02 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Hoping the selection process runs as smoothly as this one:

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
So many things could go wrong. What if the person hates their fellow crew mate? You could murder them, and the police ain't coming.

Or what if the supplies crash landed off course, and it would take another 5 years before more come?

What if you get hurt, or sick? What if something goes wrong with a critical component of the oxygen system?
What if while walking across the street tomorrow a bus runs you over?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:31 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
What if while walking across the street tomorrow a bus runs you over?
I would go to a doctor... down the street.

But my life isn't dependent on establishing a colony on another planet. My point was not the potential hazards, rather I was identifying the lack of risk management.

I was hoping someone would ask why random people, not nurses or millwrights at the very least? Someone who could mitigate the impact. Obviously Engineers, Doctor's, physicists, etc would be the ideal candidates.

You know, rather than someone shooting off rhetoric

Old
04-25-2013, 07:08 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Well the plan is to have these people train for 7 years so I am sure if there is going to be doctors and nurses and everyone will likely have a specific role within the program. As interested as I am to see this take flight, I am also a little skeptical if it will actually go ahead as planned.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:13 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Well the plan is to have these people train for 7 years so I am sure if there is going to be doctors and nurses and everyone will likely have a specific role within the program. As interested as I am to see this take flight, I am also a little skeptical if it will actually go ahead as planned.
I think most astronauts have 2 doctorates or 3 bachelor degrees at least. I'm sure even then there's extensive training. 7 years for someone who graduated with a diploma ages ago wouldn't cut the mustard IMO.

Plus what about security measures? What about Contingencies?

Old
04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Looks like 20,000 applicants have tossed their names in already.

http://travel.yahoo.com/blogs/compas...205216264.html

Quote:
The organization plans to have people vote on TV for the candidates they like the best. So yes, this process seems more reality show than "Right Stuff." In fact, over the span of a two-year televised competition, viewers will help sift through the candidates until 24 are chosen.
"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," said Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical director and a former NASA senior researcher, in a statement.
He added, "For this mission of permanent settlement, we are more concerned with how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges."
These lucky chosen colonists -- who must be at least 18 years old, be 157 cm (roughly 5-foot-2) tall, and have 20/20 vision -- will then endure six to eight years of training and will be grouped into teams of four, who will train together in simulated living conditions of the planet. And yes, an audience decides who will be the first four to settle on Mars.
Only four people at a time will travel to Mars. Then the plan is to launch four more settlers every two years.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
JuicyJ*

I don't quite see the need to point out everything negative that "could" happen. Just because something bad might happen isn't reason enough to not do it

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I will be applying, but no have no realistic expectation of being chosen given my fitness and eye sight.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Buzz Aldrin has a new book out on getting to/exploring Mars. Nat Geo preview.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote