HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#46 Sharks vs Stars 7PM CSNCA TSN NBCSN KFOX "Prepare yourselves, awesomeness ahead"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  #101
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Hannan is barely NHL caliber, and he's on the decline. The fact that he's bounced around the league constantly over the last few years and spent much of that time on the bench pretty much tells you what you need to know.

It's just a 6th, but would you be ok if the Sharks just said "We don't like 6th round picks, we don't want them anymore give them to someone else". No, because it's a pointless waste, just like acquiring Hannan was. But whatever.
"barely NHL caliber" is still NHL caliber to a degree. And when the price of slightly less crappy d-men at the deadline was picks 2+ rounds higher, the fact that we got someone who can play the role of a 7/8 d-man passably well for a handful of games isn't that big a deal.

I'm not saying that Hannan is going to be a linchpin to playoff success or should be getting 10-15 minutes a night or on the PP or anything like that. But look at the alternatives in terms of traded d-men this season:

Davis Driewiske went for a 5th
Robyn Regher was 2 2nds
M-A Bergeron was a 7th and a depth roster player
Jordan Leopold was a 2nd and a cnd'l 5th
Murray fetched the Sharks a 2nd and a conditional 2nd
TJ Brennan was worth a 5th
Ben Lovejoy was a 5th.
Marc Fistric was a 5th
Keaton Ellerby was a 5th

Yes, those guys are for the most part better than Hannan to a reasonable degree. But really, I don't know if that justifies the higher price.

and I'm not saying "it's ok to throw away a 6th". It's not OK to throw it away for nothing. But this isn't nothing. This is several regular season games and some playoff security of having Hannan on the roster. Considering that the chances that a 6th rounder makes it to an NHL career are probably easily less than 10%, I'm ok with gambling that whatever minimal value Hannan provides the Sharks now will be greater than or equal to whatever value the hypothetical 6th round selection they would've made with that pick would provide over the next few seasons.

It's not ideal. I would like a better depth option obviously. But I'm willing to accept whatever Hannan provides given the low price.

__________________

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
  #102
Kegsey
#joeMONEY
 
Kegsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
snog

4-1 Sharks
Jumbo, Loco, Havlat, Boyle
Whitney

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
  #103
Tkachuk4MVP
25 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
That was more on Stuart than Hannan in my opinion.

That's because Stuart had to take on the role of puck mover/offensive defenseman on that pair (just like he did with Murray), and he's not particularly good at it.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  #104
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
"barely NHL caliber" is still NHL caliber to a degree. And when the price of slightly less crappy d-men at the deadline was picks 2+ rounds higher, the fact that we got someone who can play the role of a 7/8 d-man passably well for a handful of games isn't that big a deal.

I'm not saying that Hannan is going to be a linchpin to playoff success or should be getting 10-15 minutes a night or on the PP or anything like that. But look at the alternatives in terms of traded d-men this season:

Davis Driewiske went for a 5th
Robyn Regher was 2 2nds
M-A Bergeron was a 7th and a depth roster player
Jordan Leopold was a 2nd and a cnd'l 5th
Murray fetched the Sharks a 2nd and a conditional 2nd
TJ Brennan was worth a 5th
Ben Lovejoy was a 5th.
Marc Fistric was a 5th
Keaton Ellerby was a 5th

Yes, those guys are for the most part better than Hannan to a reasonable degree. But really, I don't know if that justifies the higher price.

and I'm not saying "it's ok to throw away a 6th". It's not OK to throw it away for nothing. But this isn't nothing. This is several regular season games and some playoff security of having Hannan on the roster. Considering that the chances that a 6th rounder makes it to an NHL career are probably easily less than 10%, I'm ok with gambling that whatever minimal value Hannan provides the Sharks now will be greater than or equal to whatever value the hypothetical 6th round selection they would've made with that pick would provide over the next few seasons.

It's not ideal. I would like a better depth option obviously. But I'm willing to accept whatever Hannan provides given the low price.
just seems like a cover your ass trade.

it looks liek colin white all over again, except hes never really posted even halfway decent numbers. in his entire career.

if they ice hannan with stuart against the kings, i will have lost faith in the staff.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
  #105
Fistfullofbeer
#RALLYCAT
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,248
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There are no benefits to Hannan.

We can't ice Hannan, Irwin, Stuart, and Vlasic in the same lineup. We need a puck mover on every pairing, and Irwin isn't being iced without Boyle. Tennyson may make a couple mistakes, but he drives play the right way, he has a good shot and is smart about using it, he has the puck skills to get the puck out of the zone, his skating is very good and he's got good size too. Hannan is another Colin White, except not quite as bad. I'd rather ice Stuart-Tennyson than Hannan and Stuart.



The Vlasic-Stuart pair was terrible. No puck skills. Couldn't get the puck out of the zone. Constantly forced to play in the defensive end. Just no.

We need a puck-mover on every pair. We need a puck-mover on every pair.
I swear every time Jux says 'just no' TMac goes ahead and proves her wrong just to spite her.

Thanks for nothing Jux.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
  #106
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,526
vCash: 500
I was joking with my Hannan 4 goals SNOG, in all seriousness, Dallas is going to be hella hungry. It's going to be close.

3-2 Sharks.
Couture, Torres, Stuart
Benn, Goligoski

Dallas gets off to an early lead but Stuart notches one, then Torres ties it up and Cooch gets the GWG. Game has a playoff feel to it and Niemi keeps us in it with some huge saves. That's how I see it going. It's gonna be fun.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
  #107
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
That's because Stuart had to take on the role of puck mover/offensive defenseman on that pair (just like he did with Murray), and he's not particularly good at it.
That doesn't take away the fact that it was more on Stuart than Hannan. It's not Hannan's fault that Stuart had to be offensive, it's whoever chose to put them together. You can't criticize Hannan for just doing his job (which is to be a stay-at-home defenseman).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There are no benefits to Hannan.

We can't ice Hannan, Irwin, Stuart, and Vlasic in the same lineup.
We need a puck mover on every pairing, and Irwin isn't being iced without Boyle. Tennyson may make a couple mistakes, but he drives play the right way, he has a good shot and is smart about using it, he has the puck skills to get the puck out of the zone, his skating is very good and he's got good size too. Hannan is another Colin White, except not quite as bad. I'd rather ice Stuart-Tennyson than Hannan and Stuart.
I was talking about in the playoffs, when Demers is healthy, Hannan over Tennyson and Irwin.
And wasn't Irwin paired with Braun a couple of days ago?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
  #108
couturefan39
Registered User
 
couturefan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
2-1 Sharks
Pavelski, Torres
Benn

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
  #109
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
TV for tonight's game

I have been told that NBCSN and TSN will be showing the game tonight along with CSNCA. So for those outside the Sharks usual viewing area in Canada and the USA, you should be able to watch it.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  #110
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
That doesn't take away the fact that it was more on Stuart than Hannan. It's not Hannan's fault that Stuart had to be offensive, it's whoever chose to put them together. You can't criticize Hannan for just doing his job (which is to be a stay-at-home defenseman).



I was talking about in the playoffs, when Demers is healthy, Hannan over Tennyson and Irwin.
And wasn't Irwin paired with Braun a couple of days ago?
i agree with the stuart thing. these coaches can really be braindead at times.

we just dont need defensemen like hannan on this team unless hes paired with someone useful, and he checks people like no tomorrow. we might as well call pelech up, at least hes scarier.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
  #111
drunksage
Moderator
#88: The Savior.
 
drunksage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,051
vCash: 500
Sharks win 3-2

Couture, Pavelski, Wingels
Eriksson, Whitney


Last edited by drunksage: 04-23-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: injury
drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
  #112
Oppa
#
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
SNOG 5-0 Sharks

Cooch, Burns, Pavs, Jumbo, Havlat

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
  #113
Kcoyote3
Registered User
 
Kcoyote3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,608
vCash: 500
Sharks 3-1

Pavs, Marleau, Hannan (yeah it's happening)
Eriksson

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:06 PM
  #114
sharkbite3
Custom boozer title
 
sharkbite3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,749
vCash: 500
Huge game tonight. Should be a thriller. Predicting a wild one in both score and chippiness.

Sharks 6-3
Couture x2, Thornton, Torres, Pavelski, Burns
Benn, Nystrom, Whitney

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
  #115
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 30,762
vCash: 500
Dallas 4
Sharks 3

Chiassion with 4

Havlat Thornton and Hannan

Surely this will be it.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:52 PM
  #116
Mafoofoo
Jawesome
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 500
Dallas 6
Sharks 2

Whitney, Chiassion, Benn, Hannan x3 own goals
Thornton x2

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
  #117
Evincar
I have found the way
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
4-2 Dallas

Stars: Benn, Whitney, Daley, Eriksson
Sharks: Marleau, Stuart

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
  #118
bluefunnel
Registered User
 
bluefunnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 1250
SNOG:

4-2 Sharks.

Torres, Havlat, Burns and Couture.

Benn and Whitney.

bluefunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
  #119
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,612
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I swear every time Jux says 'just no' TMac goes ahead and proves her wrong just to spite her.

Thanks for nothing Jux.
Ur welcome bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I was talking about in the playoffs, when Demers is healthy, Hannan over Tennyson and Irwin.
And wasn't Irwin paired with Braun a couple of days ago?
Not for long, he wasn't.

Okay in the playoffs, I'd consider icing Hannan over Irwin, but I think I'd still go with Irwin. He hasn't been great lately, but he's had success this season and brings elements to our blueline we don't have.

In the regular season, especially after we clinch, there's no reason not to ice Tennyson. I know he's raw defensively, but he made maybe one or two glaring mistakes in 3 games, and Stuart and Niemi handled them. Boyle's made a ton of blunders lately, but he gets a pass because he's a veteran with a history of good play.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
  #120
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton
 
McSkittlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
SNOG: Sharks win 3-1.
Patty, Cooch, Burnzie
Benn

McSkittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
  #121
beertelescope
Registered User
 
beertelescope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I have been told that NBCSN and TSN will be showing the game tonight along with CSNCA. So for those outside the Sharks usual viewing area in Canada and the USA, you should be able to watch it.
For some reason, the Comcast guide has the game starting at 7:30, and not 7, and NBCSN still has the Bruins/Flyers on with 11 minutes to play. I feel like I'm probably going to miss the beginning of the Sharks game now.

beertelescope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:56 PM
  #122
nabbyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Yay for getting to miss the start of the Sharks game because a meaningless Flyers game still has 11 minutes left. Maybe this will be the time NBCSN wises up and changes the game early. It's 5-2, this game is over!

nabbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
  #123
beertelescope
Registered User
 
beertelescope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbyfan View Post
Yay for getting to miss the start of the Sharks game because a meaningless Flyers game still has 11 minutes left. Maybe this will be the time NBCSN wises up and changes the game early. It's 5-2, this game is over!
NBC will never switch away from a Boston/Philly game for a non-Chicago/Detroit western conference game.

beertelescope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #124
Danish Pastry
this is dream!
 
Danish Pastry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
argh this is freaking annoying....

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
  #125
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$
 
spintheblackcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 43,472
vCash: 500
http://www.********1.eu/watch/182775...las-stars.html

__________________
Changes come. Keep your dignity. Take the high road. Take it like a man.
spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.