HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
deal, you can have eberle

Old
04-23-2013, 06:19 PM
backhandsauce

vCash: 500
Hemsky and a second at the draft for Ryan Miller?

Miller/Dubnyk tandem. Only has one year left on his deal, won't interfere with our cap concerns.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Koto

no..

Old
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
SaxMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Hemsky and a second at the draft for Ryan Miller?

Miller/Dubnyk tandem. Only has one year left on his deal, won't interfere with our cap concerns.
Miller is washed up. Dubnyk is light years ahead.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ryan Miller seems like team/lockerroom poison. Always blaming his teammates for goals being allowed. Horrible attitude. He seems like his stats have been on the decline for years. His GAA and SV% are both worse than dubnyks.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Everyone and their dog had Pitlick as the best pick at #31... he was a faller from a sure 1st rounder but I distinctly remember the conversations after the first round was completed... by media and even some scouts... and they felt Pitlick was the obvious best player left on the board at that point.

You can argue they should have been able to see that Pitlick wasn't going to develop and turn out well... but that's 20-20 hindsight stuff when he was the consensus pick at that point. I have no problem with the Pitlick pick even if he busts.. and it's trending that way but who knows, he could still turn the corner.

Moroz on the other hand... retarded pick that early and everyone and their dog knew it. No excuses on that one.

2010 Marincin/Martindale/Hamilton... the dman is looking good... forwards... not so much. If they get one legit NHL player out of those though... that's probably a success. It's not as if 2nd/3rd rounders are guarantees.

2011 Musil/Perhonen/Ewanyk... still early but Musil looks "safe".. and could be a solid bottom pairing dman... maybe better. Ewanyk and Perhonen... who knows... goalies take forever and defensive forwards obviously can't be judged solely on stat lines. Even if just Musil works out... that's decent.

edit to add... I REALLY wanted the Oilers to pick Kucherov with their 2nd rounder in 2011... they chose to go safe with Musil though and I understand why... but I wanted that elite skill that Kucherov showed. So if it was up to me they'd have yet another small skilled forward and one less stay at home solid dman.

2012 Zharkov/Khaira... obviously way too early to tell. I would definitely have taken Zhairkov there though... in fact I'd have taken him with the Khaira pick so no way I can complain about him even if he busts. Khaira... didn't know enough about him but I think it was a decent long shot bet... looks to have size and skill and once you get into 60+ territory the odds get a lot longer anyway. I don't have a problem with that pick either.

I agree with most of this. Once you get into the 3rd round and beyond, it's hard to know how a guy is going to develop and translate his game. Obviously scouts shouldn't be given a free pass to pick guys like Troy Hesketh but they should be given some rope.

Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, Musil, and Lander weren't big reaches at the position we drafted them (maybe should have been drafted 5-10 spots later).

The thing that scares is me is the Moroz pick. It was clearly against BPA and went for need. This isn't how you draft.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:49 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If Mac-T insists on a a bold move to bring a new player in, I think the first thing he should do is bring in a #1 defenseman.

That being said, it's a tough move to make, but the following legitimate top-4 defensemen would suffice IMO:

Zbynek Michalek - solid RHD who plays a Smid-like shutdown game, with better ability to move the puck. Would be great for any top4 role
Proposed trade: Hemsky+ for Michalek

Toni Lydman - underrated LHD who has been solid for 10+ years now. Great compliment to young developing offensive defensemen, and could be ideal partner for Justin Schultz.
Proposed move: Sign to 3yr, $3.25M deal

Luca Sbisa - emerging LHD who has been used in 2nd pairing role alongside Lydman/Allen/Lovejoy this season, never looking out of place. Similar potential to Tallinder, but much younger (2008 draftee)
Proposed move: Gagner for Sbisa+

Johnny Boychuk - going to be tough to get out of Boston, but he's looked good paired with a true #1 defenseman in Chara, and not out of place with Ference on #2 pairing. RHD with a big shot, physical play, and good defense. No real place for our roster though unless one of Petry/Schultz is moved.
Proposed move: Hemsky+ for Boychuk

Andrej Sekera - solid LHD playing 2nd pairing role in BUF behind Ehrhoff. Played really tough minutes with Regehr earlier in the season and looked like the better of the 2 defensemen. Again - a guy suited to 2nd pairing role. Has never spent extended amount of time in top-pairing role.
Proposed move: Hemsky+ for Sekera

Niklas Hjalmarsson - He's playing the toughest minutes amongst Chicago defenseman alongside Oduya and the pair has kept its head out of the water. He's emerging into his own, and would be a perfect partner for Justin Schultz as he develops.
Proposed move: Hjalmarsson for Gagner

Brenden Dillon - big-bodied 23 year old that's been playing impressively alongside Robidas on Dallas' top pairing. He's definitely not looked out of place, and has been great in a defensive role. A LHD, he's another guy we could throw with Justin Schultz heading forward.

Jonathan Ericsson - he's really come into his own since Lidstrom's retirement, and is a big reason why that inexperienced blue line in Detroit hasn't fallen apart. Arguably more reliable than Kronwall at even strength, and has been playing on the top pairing at LHD.
Proposed trade: Hemsky+ for Ericsson

Brian Campbell - he's had a rough year, but numbers don't tell the whole story for him this season. Florida is a terrible team with terrible goaltending, and all of their defensemen have struggled because of this. He's faced the toughest competition on the team and his -20 is still better than 2 other defensemen on his team. A risk, but could be had for a Hemsky-like player. Puck-moving LHD.
Proposed trade: Hemsky for Campbell; Horcoff for Campbell if Tallon is looking for a cheap(er) buy-out

Kevin Klein - one of those under-the-radar guys in Nashville that's been playing in the shadows of Hamhuis/Weber/Suter/Josi in past years - Klein has shown an ability to win matchups in a 2nd pairing role. He possesses some decent offensive ability as well
Proposed trade: Hemsky for Klein+

Travis Hamonic/Andrew MacDonald - I'm dreaming with this, but Hamonic has settled into a top-pairing role alongside Andrew McDonald in NYI this season, and both have somewhat kept their heads up out of water (similar to Smid/Petry). If NYI is hunting for a 2C in the off-season, either of these solid defensemen would probably be available for a Gagner-like package.
Proposed trade: Gagner+ for Hamonic, Gagner for MacDonald

Marc Methot/Eric Gryba - I don't know what OTT would possibly want from EDM, but these guys have been playing top-pairing minutes for the Sens this season and have been doing well. 6'3, 200+ LHD/RHD, they'd be serviceable in a top-4 role.
Proposed trade: Gagner+/Hemsky+ for Methot, Hemsky for Gryba

Matt Niskanen - has been a versatile defenseman throughout his career, and as a LHD would look good alongside Justin Schultz as the kid hones his game. I doubt PIT makes him available, and they'd probably opt to move the overrated Orpik instead.
Proposed trade: MPS for Niskanen

Karl Alzner/John Carlson - both are useful defensemen that woudl require an overpay to pry away from a suddenly resurgent WSH franchise. But if Mike Ribeiro bolts this off-season, they'll be in the market or a 2C, and with Mike Green re-emerging, may be willing to part with one of these 2:
Proposed trade: Gagner++ for John Carlson/Karl Alzner

Old
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If Mac-T insists on a a bold move to bring a new player in, I think the first thing he should do is bring in a #1 defenseman.

That being said, it's a tough move to make, but the following legitimate top-4 defensemen would suffice IMO:

Toni Lydman - underrated LHD who has been solid for 10+ years now. Great compliment to young developing offensive defensemen, and could be ideal partner for Justin Schultz.
Proposed move: Sign to 3yr, $3.25M deal

Johnny Boychuk - going to be tough to get out of Boston, but he's looked good paired with a true #1 defenseman in Chara, and not out of place with Ference on #2 pairing. RHD with a big shot, physical play, and good defense. No real place for our roster though unless one of Petry/Schultz is moved.
Proposed move: Hemsky+ for Boychuk

Niklas Hjalmarsson - He's playing the toughest minutes amongst Chicago defenseman alongside Oduya and the pair has kept its head out of the water. He's emerging into his own, and would be a perfect partner for Justin Schultz as he develops.
Proposed move: Hjalmarsson for Gagner

Brian Campbell - he's had a rough year, but numbers don't tell the whole story for him this season. Florida is a terrible team with terrible goaltending, and all of their defensemen have struggled because of this. He's faced the toughest competition on the team and his -20 is still better than 2 other defensemen on his team. A risk, but could be had for a Hemsky-like player. Puck-moving LHD.
Proposed trade: Hemsky for Campbell; Horcoff for Campbell if Tallon is looking for a cheap(er) buy-out
Good list and I left the 4 that seem the most realistic.

If the Oil could do something around Hemksy+ N Schultz for Campbell, then possibly add Orpik in a deal for picks as has been previously discussed, we would look good going into next year.

Smid-Petry
Campbell- Fistric
Orpik-Schultz
Klefbom

Old
04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
40oz

Looking back at some old trades. I can't believe that Tallon traded Andrew Ladd for Ivan Vishnevsky and a 2nd round pick.
What a steal.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

If the Oil could do something around Hemksy+ N Schultz for Campbell, then possibly add Orpik in a deal for picks as has been previously discussed, we would look good going into next year.

Smid-Petry
Campbell- Fistric
Orpik-Schultz
Klefbom
*shudders*

Old
04-23-2013, 07:06 PM
oilerfan17

Belanger + EDM 3rd 2014 for Derek Morris? He's playing top-4 minutes for them this year.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Looking back at some old trades. I can't believe that Tallon traded Andrew Ladd for Ivan Vishnevsky and a 2nd round pick.
What a steal.
To be fair, Ladd looked like a good 3rd liner at that point. He'd repeatedly been chances to crack the top6 in Chicago in the 2-3 years earlier and had failed to really shine in the role.

He went back to his Carolina swag when he went to ATL.

Old
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

Smid-Petry
Campbell- Fistric
Orpik-Schultz
Klefbom
A top pairing of Smid/Petry in combination with Fistric inside our top 4 would still leave us with an uncapable defence.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Belanger + EDM 3rd 2014 for Derek Morris? He's playing top-4 minutes for them this year.
Yeah, and he's somewhat stabilized the defensive mess that is Keith Yandle. Why on Earth would they move Morris for that crappy of a package?

Old
04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Yeah, and he's somewhat stabilized the defensive mess that is Keith Yandle. Why on Earth would they move Morris for that crappy of a package?
One can hope

In all seriousness though, he could be a good one to look in to.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
One can hope

In all seriousness though, he could be a good one to look in to.
He's been solid in a 2nd pairing role alongside Yandle - but I'd rather set my eyes on a better, younger defenseman in Michalek.

He's been a big part of why OEL has been Norris-level dominant this year. Great RHD.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Ringo13

If I was Mact...
Offer our 1st and Pajarvi for Lucic (pipe dream)
Offer Hemsky for Ott (both have one year left)
Sign Clowe and Mcgratton as FA
Buyout Belanger and Smyth
Let jones, and Whitney walk

Next year:
Hall Gagner Eberle
Lucic RNH Yakupov
Ott Horcoff Clowe
Mcgratton Smithson Brown

JSchultz and (FA. Not sure who)
Smid Petry
Fistric Klefbom

Oh yeah, get rid of Nschltz for anything)

Old
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
40oz

Quote:
To be fair, Ladd looked like a good 3rd liner at that point. He'd repeatedly been chances to crack the top6 in Chicago in the 2-3 years earlier and had failed to really shine in the role.

He went back to his Carolina swag when he went to ATL.
That's the key, and I guess the point I'm trying to make. He was a very good third liner capable of putting up 15+ goals and 40+ points while only 24. Ladd also had the draft pedigree and the benefit of some great playoff experiences early in the season. It was clear that at worst he'd be a top end 2-way third liner with great leadership abilities.

I'm hoping this summer the Oilers can be on the right end of trading a player waiting to break out. And looking at teams who might having some cap issues next year, there are some RFA's who should be of interest.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
If I was Mact...
You just broke our cap
Quote:
LOL Regier hangs up laughing.
Quote:
I don't mind these moves, but is Clowe and his anticipated over-paid UFA contract (likely 3.5-4M+) worth it?
Quote:
Neither make 3M+ - I'm not 100% on this but some posters are saying there's a 3M minimum on compliance buyouts - I'd opt for buyout out Horcoff/N.Schultz instead
Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Next year:
Hall Gagner Eberle
Lucic RNH Yakupov
Ott Horcoff Clowe
Mcgratton Smithson Brown

Smid Petry
Fistric Klefbom
Yikes. Kid has been failing miserably in a 2nd pairing role and suddenly he's a top-pairing defenseman?

I think a top-2 C set of Gagner-RNH is terrible if you're going to compete against Sedin-Kesler, Thornton-Pavelski, Kopitar-Richards, Getzlaf-Holland, Hanzal-? next year. Gagner needs to be replaced with a bigger 2C (yes, even if it means losing his offensive touch).

Old
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
*shudders*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
A top pairing of Smid/Petry in combination with Fistric inside our top 4 would still leave us with an uncapable defence.
Ok then how about..

Orpik-J Schutlz
Smid-Petry
Campbell-Fistric

It blows my mind that people think offering Streit 5.5 long term is a great idea, but then discount the idea of bringing Campbell in. Campbell is younger and better, and has playoff experience.

I think the Campbell-Fistric would be a good bottom pairing.. Fistric can break up the cycle well, and he'd never have to pass more than 10 feet while playing with Campbell. Singing Fistric at 1.5 would also allow for the rest of the D core to be well-payed.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Soundwave

Just throwing it out there, since in Lowe we tended to spend more of our cap on the back end ...

Hemsky
Gagner
ANA 2nd (2013)
for
Ott
Myers

N. Schultz
EDM 2nd 2014 (becomes a 1st if Oilers make playoffs)
for
Jay Bouweemester

Oilers sign UFA Nik Antropov (depth center/winger), Oilers draft (C) Elias Lindholm (2013 1st). Oilers sign UFA Bryan Bickell

Hall RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Ott Yakupov
Bickell Horcoff Antropov
Smyth Smithson Brown

Smid Myers
Bouw J. Schultz
Petry Fistric

Antropov is kind of a throw away signing, but he could play 2C in a pinch with Yakupov + MPS if RNH isn't good to go for game 1.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Just throwing it out there, since in Lowe we tended to spend more of our cap on the back end ...

Hemsky
Gagner
ANA 2nd (2013)
for
Ott
Myers

N. Schultz
EDM 2nd 2014 (becomes a 1st if Oilers make playoffs)
for
Jay Bouweemester

Oilers sign UFA Nik Antropov (depth center/winger), Oilers draft (C) Elias Lindholm (2013 1st). Oilers sign UFA Bryan Bickell

Hall RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Ott Yakupov
Bickell Horcoff Antropov
Smyth Smithson Brown

Smid Myers
Bouw J. Schultz
Petry Fistric

Antropov is kind of a throw away signing, but he could play 2C in a pinch with Yakupov + MPS if RNH isn't good to go for game 1.
Ott isn't good enough to be a 2C.

I'm concerned about Myers's contract and terrible play this season. That's a good third line though.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Soundwave

I wonder if Dustin Byfuglien gets put on the market if the Jets miss the playoffs.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:03 PM
shogun99

I can't wait to see all the compliance buyouts this summer. There will probably be some names no one expects with the cap dropping to 64 million.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
If I was Mact...

Next year:
Hall Gagner Eberle
Lucic RNH Yakupov
Ott Horcoff Clowe
Mcgratton Smithson Brown

Smid Petry
Fistric Klefbom

Oh yeah, get rid of Nschltz for anything)
That puts alot of pressure on the young guys.

I would think

**** Petry
JShultz Smid
**** Klefbom
Fistric

If by a miracle we get Seth Jones then even that changes

Closed Thread