HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Oduya

Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_so_saad View Post
i just got sick and tired of seeing him try and poke check in our own zone instead of taking the body. Every time he stick checked it poked the poke back to van player allowing them to re-establish a forecheck/beging cycling on us. If you dont have a direct play sometimes the best is to pin a guy till a winger or someone can get in there and support play.
You must hate all of Chicago's Dmen then, because none of them consistently take the body.

This thread is oh so sad.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
i just got sick and tired of seeing him try and poke check in our own zone instead of taking the body. Every time he stick checked it poked the poke back to van player allowing them to re-establish a forecheck/beging cycling on us. If you dont have a direct play sometimes the best is to pin a guy till a winger or someone can get in there and support play.
I agree and this is my biggest criticism of Oduya as well, basically this plus the fact that he wilts when pressured near the boards by the opposing forward. It's great having a high powered offensive team but I guess the by product is everyone having a couple guys they just don't care for. No way this guy should be paired with Brookbank though, that's setting up for failure. Best is Rozsi, like IU and a few of us have suggested.

Switching him out for Monty is something I think would be a good idea the last few games, if only for the sake of rest and to see where Monty is at. It's simply not going to happen though and we all know that.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Oduya takes massive hits to make the safe play.

Almost every depth dman in the league doesn't handle tough pressure very well...not even the great Roszival.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Montador couldn't even establish himself as a Dman at the end of last year, before suffering his final concussion. He's not an upgrade on Oduya, especially when he hasn't played in the NHL for a year.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

Nonetheless, wouldn't it be a good idea to get him up here for a couple games just in case injuries hit in the playoffs? I feel a lot better knowing he got a couple games in rather than throwing him into an NHL playoff series.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Nonetheless, wouldn't it be a good idea to get him up here for a couple games just in case injuries hit in the playoffs? I feel a lot better knowing he got a couple games in rather than throwing him into an NHL playoff series.
Sure..but what does that have to do with Oduya? If he's replacing Oduya for good..I imagine we are giving up on the year.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Sure..but what does that have to do with Oduya? If he's replacing Oduya for good..I imagine we are giving up on the year.
It doesn't really. Oduya will have every opportunity to play every game in the playoffs. I guess the point is that with the depth we have on D, I think we need to get everyone as ready as can be so if ANYONE, be it Brookbank, Oduya, Rozsi just isn't cutting it, well, insert someone else. Not to dig up old bones and I know with that team, it didn't make a difference, but I think most teams would have scratched Oduya before the end of that series. This year we have the luxury of depth so we don't have to be married to any single guy.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

If Montador is playing in the playoffs, that means 2 of Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hammer, Oduya, Roszival have gone down and that likely means Chicago's not going anywhere in the playoffs. The best case scenario is Chicago doesn't have to use Montador. If they do, it's because their backend has been decimated by injuries. Preparing Montador for a situation you hope not to be in, doesn't seem like a good idea.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Oh_so_saad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
You must hate all of Chicago's Dmen then, because none of them consistently take the body.

This thread is oh so sad.
yes i hate all of chicago as a team in fact.

keep trollin

Oh_so_saad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

the playoffs isn't the time to re-introduce montador to the roster. what an asinine idea.

he shouldn't be playing at all, tbh. we can't buy him out while injured. he should just sit.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
yes i hate all of chicago as a team in fact.

keep trollin
How was it a troll attempt? You singled out a player for doing something the entire defensive core does.

Keep making pointless threads though.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
the playoffs isn't the time to re-introduce montador to the roster.
Agreed, but I don't subscribe to the "oh well, guys got hurt, we lost" whatever the **** that it is...I'll tell what it isn't, NHL hockey. You have this depth to use it if need be. Montador would be scratch in Rockford if the contract situation mattered. What happens if two D-men can't play? Montador needs to be ready. We're lucky to have him just in case.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Agreed, but I don't subscribe to the "oh well, guys got hurt, we lost" whatever the **** that it is...I'll tell what it isn't, NHL hockey. You have this depth to use it if need be. Montador would be scratch in Rockford if the contract situation mattered. What happens if two D-men can't play? Montador needs to be ready. We're lucky to have him just in case.
It's not like we don't know what Montador is, he's a 5/6 Dman and he's played in tons of NHL playoff games. He'll be able to get himself ready, if he's called upon. If you dress him and he gets hurt, your depth suffers a blow. Again, there's no point dressing a guy you hope not to have to use. Seems like a jinx.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

I can see that for sure. I just feel like the AHL is just as physical and as much a risk.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:04 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
I agree and this is my biggest criticism of Oduya as well, basically this plus the fact that he wilts when pressured near the boards by the opposing forward. It's great having a high powered offensive team but I guess the by product is everyone having a couple guys they just don't care for. No way this guy should be paired with Brookbank though, that's setting up for failure. Best is Rozsi, like IU and a few of us have suggested.

Switching him out for Monty is something I think would be a good idea the last few games, if only for the sake of rest and to see where Monty is at. It's simply not going to happen though and we all know that.
After a decent start, it became quite obvious to several of us that JO was not the type of dman this team needed at the time, and to this day we still don't have that dman. One who can play the physical game for more than 15 minutes+ a game. The frustrating part is that Oduya seems capable enough, but a chicken**** (to call a spade, a spade). I blame Stan for failing to recognize that need and then compounding it by giving him a generous contract. Stan then tried to patch that mistake with bargain players, Rozy and Brookbank, but is that patch enough? Doesn't appear so. I'd rather that Monty get the nod ahead of Brookbank in the post season and I won't be surprised if Q feels the same and that happens. If he can play like he is capable, that could take some minutes away from Oduya if he proves to be true to form. And I see nothing to think otherwise.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
After a decent start, it became quite obvious to several of us that JO was not the type of dman this team needed at the time, and to this day we still don't have that dman. One who can play the physical game for more than 15 minutes+ a game. The frustrating part is that Oduya seems capable enough, but a chicken**** (to call a spade, a spade). I blame Stan for failing to recognize that need and then compounding it by giving him a generous contract. Stan then tried to patch that mistake with bargain players, Rozy and Brookbank, but is that patch enough? Doesn't appear so. I'd rather that Monty get the nod ahead of Brookbank in the post season and I won't be surprised if Q feels the same and that happens. If he can play like he is capable, that could take some minutes away from Oduya if he proves to be true to form. And I see nothing to think otherwise.
What is this, I don't even..

Yes, Bowman was trying to patch his "Oduya mistake", by bringing in Roszival and Brookbank to replace O'Donnell and Lepisto.

Anyone wanna remind Bobby what the Hawks record is with Oduya in the line-up? Oh, that's right, he sucked in the playoffs. Funny thing, so did most of the team.. but that's not relevant dammit!

Old
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
H a w k s

Quote:
If Montador is playing in the playoffs, that means 2 of Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hammer, Oduya, Roszival have gone down and that likely means Chicago's not going anywhere in the playoffs. The best case scenario is Chicago doesn't have to use Montador. If they do, it's because their backend has been decimated by injuries. Preparing Montador for a situation you hope not to be in, doesn't seem like a good idea.
Um we are going now where. Too small, soft and Crawford sucks and emery is worse.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:26 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
After a decent start, it became quite obvious to several of us that JO was not the type of dman this team needed at the time, and to this day we still don't have that dman. One who can play the physical game for more than 15 minutes+ a game. The frustrating part is that Oduya seems capable enough, but a chicken**** (to call a spade, a spade). I blame Stan for failing to recognize that need and then compounding it by giving him a generous contract.
The Chicago Blackhawks were in pursuit of defenseman Nicklas Grossman from the Dallas Stars near the 2011-12 NHL trade deadline. He who hesitates is lost.

Case in point, the Chicago Blackhawks waited too long to trade for a defenseman towards the 2010-11 NHL trade deadline. The Chicago Blackhawks ended up with Chris Campoli when earlier they could have acquired Ian White.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks were in pursuit of defenseman Nicklas Grossman from the Dallas Stars near the 2011-12 NHL trade deadline. He who hesitates is lost.

Case in point, the Chicago Blackhawks waited too long to trade for a defenseman towards the 2010-11 NHL trade deadline. The Chicago Blackhawks ended up with Chris Campoli when earlier they could have acquired Ian White.
Ian White sucks and was having an awful year.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:30 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Ian White sucks and was having an awful year.
While Chris Campoli is no longer in the NHL.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
While Chris Campoli is no longer in the NHL.
Hindsight's 20/20.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Anyone wanna remind Bobby what the Hawks record is with Oduya in the line-up? Oh, that's right, he sucked in the playoffs. Funny thing, so did most of the team.. but that's not relevant dammit!
I don't see Oduya's name mentioned in the Hart Trophy conversation.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Hindsight's 20/20.
You're just an excuse machine for the Chicago Blackhawks organization.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
I don't see any of Chicago's Dmen names in the Hart Trophy conversation, but the real question is, did you have a point? I somehow doubt it.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Where anywhere in his statement did he say that, or even remotely hint at it? I mean, no one's mentioning Toews as a Hart candidate either. Is he not a valuable cog?

And no, I am not saying Oduya is as valuable as Toews is. Just showing the arbitration in the logic.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote