HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I can't argue with that.

I'm weary of drouin because he is a tad shorter and smaller than any other guys in top five-six. But I think Mack and barkov are locks.
Shorter or not, he's the best all around forward in the draft. If he's there, you have to take him.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Shorter or not, he's the best all around forward in the draft. If he's there, you have to take him.
No I definitely agree. I'm just saying I would prefer a guy with more size, but yeah he is definitely the forward I would want second only to mackinnon. Barkov is close third, the guy is just destroying the Finnish league!! Plus had such nice size.

And yes, lots of shorter guys have killed it in the NHL, theo fleury was only 5'6''!!! And was amazing!! I love theo!

I just mean the majority of big stars are over 6' tall, size does help overpower guys.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
braindead

Drouin might be the quickest upgrade to the current lineup also, not that that should be a selection criteria. I don't think Poile would pass on him but doubt he would be gunning for him. Our only chance of getting him, literally, is to wind up picking 3rd. Personally, I would be overjoyed to have him. Our fans have never had a guy with that electric skill set to cheer for and won't get it with anyone else in the top 10.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Drouin might be the quickest upgrade to the current lineup also, not that that should be a selection criteria. I don't think Poile would pass on him but doubt he would be gunning for him. Our only chance of getting him, literally, is to wind up picking 3rd. Personally, I would be overjoyed to have him. Our fans have never had a guy with that electric skill set to cheer for and won't get it with anyone else in the top 10.
Mack, Drouin, and Nichushkin all have that electric skill set you are talking about.

The only worry about Drouin is will his game translate to the NHL well. If he can I can see him being a Patrick Kane type player and that would be awesome.

Nichushkin I think will be a really good NHL player but the Russian aspect I think will make Poile cringe at the thought of drafting him.

Mack is what the Predators need. He can and will be a star center which is really hard to find in the NHL. With Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad being 30+ and the fact we lack a true #1.

We have the goaltender. We have a world class d-man. We now need a world class center to drive a top line. Mack is the man for the job and that is why we need to lose the next 3 games...lol.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:37 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Mack, Drouin, and Nichushkin all have that electric skill set you are talking about.

The only worry about Drouin is will his game translate to the NHL well. If he can I can see him being a Patrick Kane type player and that would be awesome.

Nichushkin I think will be a really good NHL player but the Russian aspect I think will make Poile cringe at the thought of drafting him.

Mack is what the Predators need. He can and will be a star center which is really hard to find in the NHL. With Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad being 30+ and the fact we lack a true #1.

We have the goaltender. We have a world class d-man. We now need a world class center to drive a top line. Mack is the man for the job and that is why we need to lose the next 3 games...lol.

Fail for Mack! Lol

But yeah I agree, Mack would be sweeeeeet!!

Old
04-23-2013, 05:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm reading and researching these guys. Of the big three, I'm #drollinfordrouin then #jonesin then #steppinginfrontofaMacKtruck

Old
04-23-2013, 06:00 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm reading and researching these guys. Of the big three, I'm #drollinfordrouin then #jonesin then #steppinginfrontofaMacKtruck
Really?! You would prefer jones over Mack??

Ps, I like the #'s! Lol. Clever.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Really?! You would prefer jones over Mack??

Ps, I like the #'s! Lol. Clever.
Yes, to me it's a possible immediate fix and losing Suter hurt....a lot and if the Preds draft Jones

A) they have an instant pair with Klein.

B) Weber can tutor Jones.

B) If Weber get's *****y, the Preds have the option of moving him.

Also I have a dream of trading Weber straight up for Tavares.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:49 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yes, to me it's a possible immediate fix and losing Suter hurt....a lot and if the Preds draft Jones

A) they have an instant pair with Klein.

B) Weber can tutor Jones.

B) If Weber get's *****y, the Preds have the option of moving him.

Also I have a dream of trading Weber straight up for Tavares.

Yeah I agree it would be an instant fix on defense, but even when we had suter we were never ''really'' a cup contender because we could never score goals. I think most important priority is drafting a franchise forward which we have always lacked.

Weber will tutor and play with josi and we can pick up a top four defensemen free agent I'm sure quite easily with all our extra cap room, or even offer sheet pietrangelo.

I would like jones but I think Mack or drouin is priority. Just my opinion.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Mercalius

If we're on the outside looking in at MacKinnon, I throw everything I could (within reason) to walk away with him. I follow the NFL draft pretty heavily, and I'm looking at it from this perspective:

1.) He's ridiculously productive. Leaf fans were clamoring a year ago to tank for him, and he's done nothing to hurt his draft stock since then. The elite talent is there, the consistent production is there, and he's about as pro-ready as they come.

2.) He fills an immediate need. He may need some developmental time, but it's not a huge stretch to assume he'd be ready to play day one. Thus, we'd be getting a very quick return on our investment.

3.) We realistically won't be looking at touching another player of his caliber for a long time. He's an elite talent, and I think most people who are honest realize this was a season of anomalies. Injuries, shortened season, consistent players being inconsistent - etc. It's very likely we return to form (or at least closer to form) next season than it is to assume we'll be picking in the top 5 for two years in a row. As such, even having to trade a first next year to ensure landing him wouldn't be too big of a blow.

4.) It immediately sets us up for the future. With acquiring Forsberg, and ideally MacKinnon, you've loaded the cupboard for the immediate future and bettered both elite prospects by allowing them to come up together. A healthy Wilson mixed with those two could give us something we've dreamed about for years now.

Now, I'm not saying that Drouin, Lindholm, and Barkov aren't amazing prospects as well, but if MacKinnon develops into what he's projected to be, I don't think 2-3 years from now we'd sweat at all giving away a 2014 1st rounder or a few of our own players. An acquisition like that, mixed with landing Filip, plus the rest of the team righting the ship could take this franchise to places it's never been before.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
If we're on the outside looking in at MacKinnon, I throw everything I could (within reason) to walk away with him. I follow the NFL draft pretty heavily, and I'm looking at it from this perspective:

1.) He's ridiculously productive. Leaf fans were clamoring a year ago to tank for him, and he's done nothing to hurt his draft stock since then. The elite talent is there, the consistent production is there, and he's about as pro-ready as they come.

2.) He fills an immediate need. He may need some developmental time, but it's not a huge stretch to assume he'd be ready to play day one. Thus, we'd be getting a very quick return on our investment.

3.) We realistically won't be looking at touching another player of his caliber for a long time. He's an elite talent, and I think most people who are honest realize this was a season of anomalies. Injuries, shortened season, consistent players being inconsistent - etc. It's very likely we return to form (or at least closer to form) next season than it is to assume we'll be picking in the top 5 for two years in a row. As such, even having to trade a first next year to ensure landing him wouldn't be too big of a blow.

4.) It immediately sets us up for the future. With acquiring Forsberg, and ideally MacKinnon, you've loaded the cupboard for the immediate future and bettered both elite prospects by allowing them to come up together. A healthy Wilson mixed with those two could give us something we've dreamed about for years now.

Now, I'm not saying that Drouin, Lindholm, and Barkov aren't amazing prospects as well, but if MacKinnon develops into what he's projected to be, I don't think 2-3 years from now we'd sweat at all giving away a 2014 1st rounder or a few of our own players. An acquisition like that, mixed with landing Filip, plus the rest of the team righting the ship could take this franchise to places it's never been before.

Very well put. Period.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:32 PM
dulzhok

duplicate

Old
04-23-2013, 09:33 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post

Prospects are prospects. Since when does Filip Forseberg instantly become a sure-fire elite talent that will take us places we've never been before?

I guess I've been on the other side of getting overly exicted for prospects. I used to frequently check in on guys like Scottie Upshall, Adam Hall, and Denis Arkhipov on nearly a weekly basis. I followed Legwand closely after being drafted, only to see his production dramatically drop his 2nd yr in juniors.

We put millions of dollars into scouting as done every team, and they usually don't get it right. So for us fans-- reading internet scouting reports written by whomever, watching 2-minute youtube highlight videos... it can be entertaining at times, but it's a total crap shoot for us to figure it out.

As for everyone saying this year is anomaly and we probably will be back into the playoffs. I disagree. There's a chance, for sure. But we've taken a huge step back as a organization-- for one 2 of our top 5 players are gone. For two, there's been a whole ****storm involving many aspects of our organization. And now we are proposing two 18/19 year olds to change things in one year? I realize we've had some injuries, but we weren't good before Mike Fisher and others went down. It's FAR from a given that we will be back in the playoffs next year.

Back to prospects, I'm just over the hype. I'm happy to be picking early as it hopefully is an indicator that we'll get a good player. But it'll happen when it happens if it ever happens. I'm nice to see someone like Wilson start to put things together. Hopefully it'll happen for others in our system. Until then, it's just a guessing game.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Prospects are prospects. Since when does Filip Forseberg instantly become a sure-fire elite talent that will take us places we've never been before?
Nothing is sure-fire, but the hype/excitement over him is well-warranted. And I didn't say just acquiring him fixed our woes. However, he could very easily be a key building block in shifting us towards an offensively-potent force we haven't had in years.

Quote:
I guess I've been on the other side of getting overly exicted for prospects. I used to frequently check in on guys like Scottie Upshall, Adam Hall, and Denis Arkhipov on nearly a weekly basis. I followed Legwand closely after being drafted, only to see his production dramatically drop his 2nd yr in juniors.
That's fine if you tend to have a wait-and-see attitude towards prospect. It's probably the more rational train of thought. However, certain prospects warrant certain levels of enthusiasm. MacKinnon was a consensus #1 overall for the 2013 draft for over a year. It's only recently that Jones/Druoin have even threatened his status, and it's not for a lack of production on his part. There was no falloff. They simply emerged beside him.

Quote:
We put millions of dollars into scouting as done every team, and they usually don't get it right. So for us fans-- reading internet scouting reports written by whomever, watching 2-minute youtube highlight videos... it can be entertaining at times, but it's a total crap shoot for us to figure it out.
Yeah, and we are good at finding certain players, as are other teams. We have a knack for defensemen and goalies. Other teams would likely jump over MacKinnon as well. It has next to nothing to do with Youtube highlight videos, even though one could easily argue that as a fan, if you take this type of mindset, what good does following the draft even do - since we ultimately have no control over it and there's pre-conceived bias in every piece of information we're fed? We're fans. We speculate and communicate with the limited knowledge we do have. There's plenty of information that's been presented to give us every reason to think MacKinnon is as close to a sure-thing we'd see in a long, long time.

Quote:
As for everyone saying this year is anomaly and we probably will be back into the playoffs. I disagree. There's a chance, for sure. But we've taken a huge step back as a organization-- for one 2 of our top 5 players are gone. For two, there's been a whole ****storm involving many aspects of our organization. And now we are proposing two 18/19 year olds to change things in one year? I realize we've had some injuries, but we weren't good before Mike Fisher and others went down. It's FAR from a given that we will be back in the playoffs next year.
You have to draft your future sometime. MacKinnon is borderline pro-ready. No, he won't likely set the world on fire the second he gets to Nashville, and we're already learning to temper our expectations with Forsberg - but...when do you pull the trigger, if ever, if a player's age and immediate contribution are the outliers in determining one prospect's value over another? That's a silly argument. No one's expecting us to compete for a Cup next season, but writing off next year as being as bad as this one is of equally rash, largely delusional mindset. By 2014, both of these guys should be ready to go for the next decade. I'd say it's worth compromising one year and leaning on youth to give your best shot to ensure stability for the next 10+ years.

Quote:
Back to prospects, I'm just over the hype. I'm happy to be picking early as it hopefully is an indicator that we'll get a good player. But it'll happen when it happens if it ever happens. I'm nice to see someone like Wilson start to put things together. Hopefully it'll happen for others in our system. Until then, it's just a guessing game.
That's fine, but if you're one or two picks away from landing a franchise defining player, you go for it every time. You may not believe Nathan is that guy, and he may well not turn out to be, but he's as highly regarded as they come outside of generational talents, immediately gives us a blue-chip prospect in a dire area of need, and the pieces forfeited to land him may not be nearly as bad as it could be in other years. I think he's that type of talent. Neither of us will know until a few years from now, but I'd hate to see him dominating in 2015-2028 and trying to justify not spending the 2014 1st round pick it might've taken to acquire him.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
PFL615

Preds can even screw up a chance for top 3 pick... Guess winning these meaningless games are worth losing ouy on a franchise forward.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

So what good does tanking for a pick do if there is no guarantee that they "become a sure-fire elite talent" and fans often get "overly exicted for prospects"?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
You have to draft your future sometime. MacKinnon is borderline pro-ready. No, he won't likely set the world on fire the second he gets to Nashville, and we're already learning to temper our expectations with Forsberg - but...when do you pull the trigger, if ever, if a player's age and immediate contribution are the outliers in determining one prospect's value over another? That's a silly argument. No one's expecting us to compete for a Cup next season, but writing off next year as being as bad as this one is of equally rash, largely delusional mindset. By 2014, both of these guys should be ready to go for the next decade.
When did I say I've written off next season and we will be equally as bad? I didn't. I said it's far from a given that we'll be a playoff team, as many people seem to be saying.

In terms of 2014, it too is far from a given that Forsberg and whomever we draft we be ready to set the world on fire. FAAAR from a given.

Personally, I hope we do more than just put our hope in prospects. But I've felt this way many off seasons, and nothing outside of acquiring Sergei Kosisyten has happened for the last 7 years. And now we have less assets and a poor UFA class. So I approach next year with no expectations.

Quote:
That's fine, but if you're one or two picks away from landing a franchise defining player, you go for it every time. You may not believe Nathan is that guy, and he may well not turn out to be, but he's as highly regarded as they come outside of generational talents, immediately gives us a blue-chip prospect in a dire area of need, and the pieces forfeited to land him may not be nearly as bad as it could be in other years. I think he's that type of talent. Neither of us will know until a few years from now, but I'd hate to see him dominating in 2015-2028 and trying to justify not spending the 2014 1st round pick it might've taken to acquire him.
I honestly haven't even heard of MacKinnon until last week (through no fault of his). But I agree, if he's a elite player that will lead our franchise for the next decade+, yes you make the move. However, #1) that's a big IF. #2) If teams ahead us feel the same way, they aren't going to trade him unless it's a massive overpayment. The only reason the Sharks traded us the #2 was because they liked Brad Stuart over Legwand. The only reasons someone will trade us a #2 or #3 pick is because 1) They can get their guy later, 2) Massive overpayment, or 3) They feel the talent is similar between someone like MacKinnon and Barkov, etc.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So what good does tanking for a pick do if there is no guarantee that they "become a sure-fire elite talent" and fans often get "overly exicted for prospects"?
That's right, there is no guarantee that #3 pick will be an all-star. Is there better probability that a #3 will have a higher success than a #6-- sure. That's why I'm rooting for a tank.

But I do think it's premature to say if we pick player X, he and Filip Forseberg will "take this franchise to places it's never been before". I think it's getting ahead of yourself.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 11:25 PM
predwings

I'd rather have the #3 pick and be happy about our future than be #6 and expect mediocrity again. Problem is the surefire forwards will all be gone before we draft...unless we want to trade up and move people..

Old
04-23-2013, 11:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

looking at #4 and barkov now... that's unless we win another game..

Old
04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
looking at #4 and barkov now... that's unless we win another game..
We'll be finishing between 5 & 7 - can't see us lose to CBUS, CALG is throwing their games, and we're all but a lock in front of the FL teams and COL. EDM is best tanking team in the league. CAR has tough schedule and could easily lose out.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
We'll be finishing between 5 & 7 - can't see us lose to CBUS, CALG is throwing their games, and we're all but a lock in front of the FL teams and COL. EDM is best tanking team in the league. CAR has tough schedule and could easily lose out.
Up in their barn? I can see us losing to Cbus very easily, unless they sit a bunch of their starters.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Top 6 Spaling

This win puts Mackinnon and Drouin pretty much out of our sights, barring a trade up or a lottery miracle.

Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan is looking like it. We better hope they are more Kopitar and less Legwand.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
That Calgary team they iced tonight would give any Oiler team a run for the tanking crown.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
This win puts Mackinnon and Drouin pretty much out of our sights, barring a trade up or a lottery miracle.

Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan is looking like it. We better hope they are more Kopitar and less Legwand.
Hope for a lottery win for #1, but any one of those 3 I certainly will like having on the team.

Closed Thread