HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
In general though a guy who scores 103 pts in the OHL isn't gonna be a 4th liner. 3rd liner yeah (bottom 6 still applies) do why would he playing on lower line in a lesser league? Nevertheless it's not just about working on his defense it's about working in all situations for the pro experience and playing big minutes. It's not like its going to hurt the teams playoffs hopes as they arent going anywhere so why not give one of the few guys on the roster with an NHL future the opportunities? It seems like other players with legit NHL hopes like Flanagan, Laughton and Alderson to some extent were just handed the more offensive roles while Cousins (who arguably has the best offensive upside) is playing with Mathers. I don't know, considering its all relative I just don't get it.

Last yr he played one game then was a healthy scratch the rest of the time. He was also a healthy scratch earlier before getting in on the 4th line with Mathers. I don't think Murray likes him very much

Btw, cousins picked up his first assist tonight in a 4-2 win over Albany
I think it's an attitude thing more than anything. Not saying he has a bad attitude, maybe mindset would be a better term. It's great that he put up 103 points but I figure there has to be some sort of adjustment when your role goes from top scorer on your team to bottom 6 grinder. Putting him on the bottom line sends the message that he needs to focus on defense first and let the offense come after he's shown he can skate with the big boys.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I think it's an attitude thing more than anything. Not saying he has a bad attitude, maybe mindset would be a better term. It's great that he put up 103 points but I figure there has to be some sort of adjustment when your role goes from top scorer on your team to bottom 6 grinder. Putting him on the bottom line sends the message that he needs to focus on defense first and let the offense come after he's shown he can skate with the big boys.
Maybe so, but if that's their reasoning for playing Cousins beneath Who - What - Where doesn't add up to me. Any sort of justification that players like Sim or Roe have earned their ice time more than Cousins is ridiculous. The reality is that Cousins' chance of cracking an NHL line-up is way over anyone on the 3rd or 4th line, and that's what should be important for the Phantoms.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I hope that the Flyers intend on being more apt to producing a good AHL product when they move the Phantoms to Allentown. The years in Glens Falls have been whatever, it was never a long-term thing, just where the situation ended up. However, I hope they don't expect to create a new AHL market with the obvious intention of expanding the fan base and then proceed to produce woeful teams

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
lancer247

at least cousins will keep mathers busy put out fires

Old
04-23-2013, 05:45 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Maybe so, but if that's their reasoning for playing Cousins beneath Who - What - Where doesn't add up to me. Any sort of justification that players like Sim or Roe have earned their ice time more than Cousins is ridiculous. The reality is that Cousins' chance of cracking an NHL line-up is way over anyone on the 3rd or 4th line, and that's what should be important for the Phantoms.
That's exactly what I mean. It makes no sense and now the AHL regular season is over and Cousins didn't even get called up to practice with the NHL team. I feel like maybe his days in this organization are numbered, if not I really don't understand the way they are handeling him.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Psuhockey

I think everyone's opinion of Cousins might be too high. He is pegged as a 3rd line winger even with all that OHL production so its no like the coaches are benching a 1st rd draft pick. He has a lot of work to do in his defensive coverage just to make the NHL. I don't think any real conclusions can be made from this or last years ATO contracts over a couple of weekends.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think everyone's opinion of Cousins might be too high. He is pegged as a 3rd line winger even with all that OHL production so its no like the coaches are benching a 1st rd draft pick. He has a lot of work to do in his defensive coverage just to make the NHL. I don't think any real conclusions can be made from this or last years ATO contracts over a couple of weekends.
I really don't expect much but the phantoms season is over so why wouldn't he called up to continue to work on things. Makes no sense

Old
04-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I really don't expect much but the phantoms season is over so why wouldn't he called up to continue to work on things. Makes no sense
This is just speculation but usually the Flyers use the black aces call ups at the end of the season as a reward and for sending a message. Akeson wasn't called up last year even though he was one of the best scorers on the phantoms as a message for him to work on his defense. It looks like it worked. Maybe the message to Cousins is that nothing will be handed to him. IMO it isn't a big deal because Cousins isn't making the Flyers next year.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:10 AM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
they also might have specific things they are working on like his defensive game, they also might not want to expose him to a bunch of questions about his past and they want him to enter the offseason on a quiet note with some things he needs to work on .. not having to constantly answer questions from Timmy P and the rest of the group.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Coppy

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ding-to-report

Trenton Titans are apparently closing their doors next season with hopes to return the in 14-15 (but I wouldn't hold my breath). ECHL affiliation is now up in the air.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Meh, not really a big deal if they can't find one. I'm sure Reading or Elmira will do a split

Old
04-23-2013, 01:54 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post

Trenton Titans are apparently closing their doors next season with hopes to return the in 14-15 (but I wouldn't hold my breath). ECHL affiliation is now up in the air.
ECHL affiliations are pretty meaningless. However, it's a shame that this didn't happen a few years ago. Trenton would have been a perfect home for the Phantoms, although it does make me wonder if they would consider a move for the 13-14 season.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post

man it was tough staying quiet about this maybe we'll do what the Devils do, and just send our players wherever the hell we can/want.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
man it was tough staying quiet about this maybe we'll do what the Devils do, and just send our players wherever the hell we can/want.
Won't be the first NHL team to do that, won't be the last.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
well, to be honest, no disrespect to those that get sent there, but you probably wont amount to much if you're not good enough to at least play in the AHL

players in the ECHL are pretty meaningless with regards to the NHL

Old
04-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Wild one in Plymouth tonight. London wins 6-4, now lead Series 2-1. 7 goals scored in the 3rd including 4 straight against Stolarz. Lots of nastiness throughout but especially late in the game. Highlights should be up shortly on the "O's" website.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Wild one in Plymouth tonight. London wins 6-4, now lead Series 2-1. 7 goals scored in the 3rd including 4 straight against Stolarz. Lots of nastiness throughout but especially late in the game. Highlights should be up shortly on the "O's" website.
He got #1 star. By the box the game really looked nasty.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, to be honest, no disrespect to those that get sent there, but you probably wont amount to much if you're not good enough to at least play in the AHL

players in the ECHL are pretty meaningless with regards to the NHL
Depends, this season was my only year there and of course it was during the lockout, so I saw guys who will/already have played in NHL games like Akeson, Noebels, Konan, Grubauer, Mrazek, Wedgewood, etc. The ECHL is infinitely more of a developmental league than it was 5-10 years ago, but you're right, the players sent there are 99% of the time developing for an AHL career. But in fairness, there are plenty of ECHL contracts there that are damn good, and hung with each and every AHL guy. The level of skill in this sport is expanding. It was tough to sit all season and see my team/league get bashed when most fans probably hadn't been to an ECHL game in 10 years

Old
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
MP92
#RomanReignsGuy

Didn't Jonathan Quick used to play in the ECHL?

Old
04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Didn't Jonathan Quick used to play in the ECHL?
A lot of young goalies play in the ECHL to get consistent playing time.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Depends, this season was my only year there and of course it was during the lockout, so I saw guys who will/already have played in NHL games like Akeson, Noebels, Konan, Grubauer, Mrazek, Wedgewood, etc. The ECHL is infinitely more of a developmental league than it was 5-10 years ago, but you're right, the players sent there are 99% of the time developing for an AHL career. But in fairness, there are plenty of ECHL contracts there that are damn good, and hung with each and every AHL guy. The level of skill in this sport is expanding. It was tough to sit all season and see my team/league get bashed when most fans probably hadn't been to an ECHL game in 10 years
I'm not saying guys that play in the ECHL don't have skill. I just don't think we should get bent out of shape if we don't have our own ECHL affiliate

Old
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Here you go for the highlights.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index

Old
04-23-2013, 10:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'm not saying guys that play in the ECHL don't have skill. I just don't think we should get bent out of shape if we don't have our own ECHL affiliate
Oh I know, and it wasn't a direct comment at you. I just realize what the general perception of the ECHL is now that I've worked within the league while being a member of a hockey forum and working a couple Flyers events. I had Flyers "fans" come up to our table and ask if we were a beer/men's league

Old
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/AnthonySan37/sta...01099373232128

Quote:
Well, there was an absolutely dazzling save by Stolarz doing the splits and getting his right pad on a shot by Garret Meurs.
https://twitter.com/AnthonySan37/sta...01328696786944

Quote:
The save by Stolarz was so good that a Plymouth exec sitting next to me said, "That kid has been the difference… Great save."

Old
04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Oh I know, and it wasn't a direct comment at you. I just realize what the general perception of the ECHL is now that I've worked within the league while being a member of a hockey forum and working a couple Flyers events. I had Flyers "fans" come up to our table and ask if we were a beer/men's league
I played pick-up summer hockey with a guy that was playing in the ECHL about 7 years ago. When I first heard he was coming out, I didn't think much of it. All I can say is that for the entire hour, he skated circles around everyone setting up chance after chance without even breaking a sweat. The kicker was that he was actually a defenseman playing forward when he came out with us

It just goes to show you how good the guys in the NHL are when a guy from the ECHL, playing out of his position, is completely dominating a pick-up league.

I can't even imagine how, for instance, Claude Giroux would look out there with us

Closed Thread