HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Well At least it was close

Old
04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Willhockey
I want da puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
My wishlist for this offseason :
- A good, all-around top9 player who can ****ing PLAY the PK, ie. Pascal Dupuis.
- A big, mean, physical Dmen... I have no names in mind as most are already signed.
- Get rid of Gionta OR Desharnais. Please.
-Ryane Clowe
-Douglas Murray / Robyn Regehr
-I want to get rid of Gionta, but none of them for sure

Willhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
It's hard to fathom, just how bad this team has been the past two weeks.....complete opposite of the Capitals, who sucked hard at the start of the season, and now roll into the playoffs ready to play.
we can only attribute 'clinching' to a certain point when discussing how **** this team has been lately. where is the leadership to push them out of this slump? where is the character? fear of getting injured? what the ****? are they that small and weak?

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Great 3rd period. Proud of them. No quit. If they can build off that, I'm not worried at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
another ****ing dispassionate end to the game. playing like a bunch of losers. guess they want to finish 5th and start on the road
come again?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
come again?
Reality is more in the middle. They were going for pucks but they lost literally every single puck battle in the last 3 minute. You could watch that and say they were trying, or you could watch it and say they weren't trying depending on your perspective.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:56 PM
habtastic

Ryder has been terrible lately. He never gets the puck in a scoring position (half his fault), is soooooo slow and really has no offensive jump. Dunno what's happened to him, but it's like we've forgotten that he exists. Kind of like when Carbo benched him on his way out last time.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
It comes down to the fact that you can count on one hand the players that have been playing hard the past week. Not going to get it done, especially when you're struggling.

The only way to get out of a slump is hard work and when the team comes down with the "woah is me" mentality after 1 unlucky break it's a loss.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Ryder has been terrible lately. He never gets the puck in a scoring position (half his fault), is soooooo slow and really has no offensive jump. Dunno what's happened to him, but it's like we've forgotten that he exists. Kind of like when Carbo benched him on his way out last time.
Exactly and he is a huge defensive liability...turns over the puck at our blue line and the opposite blue line with regularity.

He a DD never finish their checks....

Save the $4.5 million cap space next year is the best thing we can do.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Hansman

It sucks that we have lost again, but you know we have punched way above our weight for most of the season.This is what reality feels like sinking in.It's nice that we have made the playoffs.We have to give Bergy some room to swing a deal or 2 before next October and see what happens at the draft.Realistically and honestly I think we all knew it will be at least 2 more years before we are going to be a contender.

For the draft a want a big nasty forward...a la Tyler Hill
and a snarly d man

Hansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Et le But

Ryder's troubles seemed to start when he missed that game injured.

I know, "no excuses" and all, but it wouldn't be surprising if he's playing hurt.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Ryder isn't a consistent player. If he was he wouldn't be getting 2-3 year deals every time he hits free agency. He's good then he's bad. Let's just hope he steps up in the playoffs like he did with the Bruins instead of disappearing like he did with the Habs.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
sad part fellow posters, i am driving to the peg thursday am, to see the habs, and they suck

so it will be a long ride there.
I'll be in Toronto on Sat...I hear you.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Desharnais already took his bridge contract. The four year deal was his fourth contract with us.
Just because it's his 4th doesn't mean it has to be 4 years long. Hell I would have been happy if he was here for his whole career on 1 year deals.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Just because it's his 4th doesn't mean it has to be 4 years long. Hell I would have been happy if he was here for his whole career on 1 year deals.
I didn't say it was a good contract. I'm saying don't pretend like Subban got the short end of the stick and DD didn't because DD had to go through the same things Subban is going through.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I think they are tired and a going through the motions. It will be interesting to see which team comes out in the first round, surely they can't be this bad for real.
Yes they can.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Craig71

Quote:
When things are going well, his short comings are less noticable. He has got to be one of the slowest forwards in the league. He will not be kept after this season. He is only effective when a linemate sets the table for him, he can score but thats all. I always felt that if there were no offside in hockey it would be more useful to leave him in the other teams end.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
I didn't say it was a good contract. I'm saying don't pretend like Subban got the short end of the stick and DD didn't because DD had to go through the same things Subban is going through.
Subban dominated the AHL and had a sensational rookie season and was our best defender last year. DD worked his way up through the ECHL and AHL and had a good first year in the NHL and got 4 years.

They're not even comparable in talent and ceiling, why does DD deserve 4 years when the team has 3 centres that are better and Subban gets haggled to a 2 year deal (essentially 1.5 year) when he's the best defender on the team?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Subban dominated the AHL and had a sensational rookie season and was our best defender last year. DD worked his way up through the ECHL and AHL and had a good first year in the NHL and got 4 years.

They're not even comparable in talent and ceiling, why does DD deserve 4 years when the team has 3 centres that are better and Subban gets haggled to a 2 year deal (essentially 1.5 year) when he's the best defender on the team?
I have scratched my head over this one as well, it will cost sooooo much more to sign Subban when his deal ends and no one will want DD in a trade and is here for the duration of his contract unless bought out.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post

How can you say Subban dominated the AHL then not give DD the same credit? He was leading scorer in the AHL for quite a while after being called up in 2010. DD took a two year below 850k bridge deal and put up 60 points/pace for 50 on it. PK Subban is coming off his ELC and we have many years of RFA control over him. DD was a year away from UFA. Just because you don't like DD doesn't mean his deal doesn't make any sense. How many 50-60 point players can you get for 3.5 million? Ryder got that after 30 and 40 point seasons and he's pretty much the perfect comparison for DD as a pure offense worst defensive player in the league category.

The only real problem is the fact that Eller has surpassed DD this year in every facet and Galchenyuk is knocking on the door to be a centerman. You still don't wait to sign DD until the summer and say, "well we have too much depth so we're going to trade you for scraps/release you for nothing". The extension was intended to make DD play less nervously. It's not as if there will be zero teams looking at DD at 3.5. Especially a cap team starved for offense like Nashville or Phoenix. More intelligently we should try to shift DD to wing, he's not useless. He just can't handle center defensive responsibilities at the NHL level and likely never will.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
How can you say Subban dominated the AHL then not give DD the same credit? He was leading scorer in the AHL for quite a while after being called up in 2010. DD took a two year below 850k bridge deal and put up 60 points/pace for 50 on it. PK Subban is coming off his ELC and we have many years of RFA control over him. DD was a year away from UFA. Just because you don't like DD doesn't mean his deal doesn't make any sense. How many 50-60 point players can you get for 3.5 million? Ryder got that after 30 and 40 point seasons and he's pretty much the perfect comparison for DD as a pure offense worst defensive player in the league category.

The only real problem is the fact that Eller has surpassed DD this year in every facet and Galchenyuk is knocking on the door to be a centerman. You still don't wait to sign DD until the summer and say, "well we have too much depth so we're going to trade you for scraps/release you for nothing". The extension was intended to make DD play less nervously. It's not as if there will be zero teams looking at DD at 3.5. Especially a cap team starved for offense like Nashville or Phoenix. More intelligently we should try to shift DD to wing, he's not useless. He just can't handle center defensive responsibilities at the NHL level and likely never will.
Some 50-60 point players are less valuable than others, especially if they can't duplicate it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I have scratched my head over this one as well, it will cost sooooo much more to sign Subban when his deal ends and no one will want DD in a trade and is here for the duration of his contract unless bought out.
Hardball with Subban...the cornerstone of your franchise then rush to sign DD to a 4 year deal. I'm not going to judge Bergy yet since he has barely made his mark but he's been up and down with some of his moves/non-moves.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Some 50-60 point players are less valuable than others, especially if they can't duplicate it.
He's on pace for 10 less points than last season playing less albeit sheltered minutes. It's not as if he's Josh Gorges getting a contract that would have been the maximum he would have got on July 1st then playing like a bottom pairing defenseman. I don't like DD being re-signed and would prefer him not be on the team going forward but it makes a great deal of sense that he got that dollar/term.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:

your post makes sense up but desharnais on the wing. where? the issue today is too many small wingers, some who are soft and can't win puck battles. gionta and gallagher + desharnais on the wing in the top 6 is a terrifying thought. I wouldn't play him in the bottom 6 either on the wing. the team needs big wingers who can play a north south game with grit and pot the odd goal.

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
He's on pace for 10 less points than last season playing less albeit sheltered minutes. It's not as if he's Josh Gorges getting a contract that would have been the maximum he would have got on July 1st then playing like a bottom pairing defenseman. I don't like DD being re-signed and would prefer him not be on the team going forward but it makes a great deal of sense that he got that dollar/term.
Honeslty, for myself and I think a lot of other people around here more of the fact that DD is an unnecessary player on this team and with the love affair by MT is taking up a valuable roster spot for players who breaking out and being held back. There is zero reason to believe that Eller or Galchenyuk would not be doing better than DD by a good margin if given his ice time and wingers. In fact, I think after this many games in the season it's time to give Chucky back his centreice position and demote DD to the wing or press box.

And to show you it's not a blind hatred for DD I would be parking Bouillon and Weber in the press box as well for Tinordi and Beaulieu/Pateryn. What's the point of having smart high IQ vets on the back end if you're not going to surround them with people to teach and grow.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Habsawce

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Ryder
Prust-Eller-Gionta
Armstrong-Halpern-Moen

PP #1

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Ryder
Markov-Subban