HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do these guys even know how to tank?

Old
04-23-2013, 09:42 PM
dma0034

vCash: 500
At this point I'm really hoping the Flyers end up with more points than the Sabres..... would suck it they didn't

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Ugly: People still want to trade Vanek and hope that Armia is able to reach his production in 3-4 seasons. Vanek has to be the bridge and I'm hoping management will be doing anything they can to convince him to stay and sign an extension.
It's really important that they take care of that this offseason ... they need to sit him down...be open and honest...he needs to be open and honest...and go from there.

If he likes where they're heading he needs to tell them..and we need to get him signed.

If he doesn't..then we really need to trade him before the draft.

Can they start contract talks as soon as season is over?

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I'm afraid Vanek will base his decision on whether Miller is traded. If that's the case and he's honest with the front office about it, I wonder if that affects Regier's decision to trade Miller. Quite the quandary.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
UGLY: Edmonton Oilers have the 5th pick if the draft were today and we have the 9th wtf..the Oilers draft threat irritates me cheering for us who haven't had a top ten pick in how long to win so they can get another lottery pick who doesn't live up to his potential because all of their young youth. It's bad for the game and diminishes the talent league wide, Edmonton is the exact reason why I cannot stand franchise who lose on purpose to get elite picks every year.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
UGLY: Edmonton Oilers have the 5th pick if the draft were today and we have the 9th wtf..the Oilers draft threat irritates me cheering for us who haven't had a top ten pick in how long to win so they can get another lottery pick who doesn't live up to his potential because all of their young youth. It's bad for the game and diminishes the talent league wide, Edmonton is the exact reason why I cannot stand franchise who lose on purpose to get elite picks every year.
Silly argument.
If the draft were today, the Edmonton Oilers would win the draft lottery.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Settle down.

Edmonton doesn't lose on purpose. They have inept management and inept coaching. The exact problem that plagued or still plagues Columbus, Florida, Atlanta and Calgary.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Its looking like their "elite" picks aren't quite as "elite" as everyone thinks.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:08 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

I know you wouldn't believe them if they told you anyway, because conspiracies are more attractive.... But try tweeting as many Oilers as you can find, and ask them if they are losing on purpose for a top pick in the draft.

I have a hard time believing professional hockey players who have "winning" in their DNA since they were little kids, will decide to "lay down" and not compete as hard against opponents just so they can hope to draft a kid who may or may not pan out. Who may or may not play for the big club for 2, 3, 4 years! Is there ever a guarantee that draft pick number ___ will be the magic player to make a team a cup contender?

No self respecting coach, or player would blow a season like that. C'mon! You're better than that... throwing around these obtuse ideas. Think it thru.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Its looking like their "elite" picks aren't quite as "elite" as everyone thinks.
Like who? I realize this is an attempt to argue the value of high draft picks but it's a terrible one.

Hall has 45pts in 42 games and is an absolute beast. Eberle is having a down season but still has 32pts. Yakupov is over .5ppg as a rookie. Only RNH is having a terrible season and it was just revealed he has been injured since the start of the season... the AHL season. Edmonton management is a gong show. The same way Columbus, Florida, the New York Islanders and Atlanta had or still have gong show managements.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Well, if the Oilers pick 5th they will pick another forward since Seth Jones will be off the board.

All those forwards with no defense. Fans say Klefbom in untouchable, but he may not be NHL ready next year. And of course all their elite young forwards are untouchable too.

Wait till McTavish trades one this summer.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
I get that.. I really do. But all the complaining in the world isn't going to change where we end up.
So you don't complain about anything right? Cause complaining doesn't change anything right?

Kay

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
slip

Quote:
I wouldn't mind swapping rosters with the Oil.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Like who? I realize this is an attempt to argue the value of high draft picks but it's a terrible one.

Hall has 45pts in 42 games and is an absolute beast. Eberle is having a down season but still has 32pts. Yakupov is over .5ppg as a rookie. Only RNH is having a terrible season and it was just revealed he has been injured since the start of the season... the AHL season. Edmonton management is a gong show. The same way Columbus, Florida, the New York Islanders and Atlanta had or still have gong show managements.
I see Hall as being the only one with the chance of being "elite" ... maybe Yak as well.

I'm not saying they're not good players or are busts .. I think the whole elite title is getting thrown around too easy.

By the time they are even decent they'll have to let at least one of them go... Edmonton is not a franchise I'd be modeling my own after.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugLife978 View Post
G:
Vanek gets to 20
Entertaining game

B:
Draft position

U:
Letang needs a haircut. He reminds me of Xavier LaFlamme

I had that exact conversation with my friends as I was watching the game.

G
-Miller
-Vanek
(Proof we need to dump both these losers ASAP if we're ever going to rebuild properly )
-Teams below us also picked up points, so I guess no ground lost in the race to the bottom

B
-No ground gained either

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

I know you wouldn't believe them if they told you anyway, because conspiracies are more attractive.... But try tweeting as many Oilers as you can find, and ask them if they are losing on purpose for a top pick in the draft.

I have a hard time believing professional hockey players who have "winning" in their DNA since they were little kids, will decide to "lay down" and not compete as hard against opponents just so they can hope to draft a kid who may or may not pan out. Who may or may not play for the big club for 2, 3, 4 years! Is there ever a guarantee that draft pick number ___ will be the magic player to make a team a cup contender?

No self respecting coach, or player would blow a season like that. C'mon! You're better than that... throwing around these obtuse ideas. Think it thru.
Of course a Coach isn't going to try and lose on purpose.

are you honestly trying to tell me teams in the past have not packed it in?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:21 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Of course a Coach isn't going to try and lose on purpose.

are you honestly trying to tell me teams in the past have not packed it in?
Don't try moving the goalposts here. I responded to your statement about the oilers. Stay on the topic. Not " some teams" and "packed it in". Think it thru.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:23 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Don't try moving the goalposts here. I responded to your statement about the oilers. Stay on the topic. Not " some teams" and "packed it in". Think it thru.
nice originality there, who did you get that from?

Edmonton and Tampa Bay have both packed it in

Its obvious the Edmonton Oliers plan was to lose alot of hockey games and get top picks for a few years in a row

Old
04-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Hasek

Quote:
It's really important that they take care of that this offseason ... they need to sit him down...be open and honest...he needs to be open and honest...and go from there.

If he likes where they're heading he needs to tell them..and we need to get him signed.

If he doesn't..then we really need to trade him before the draft.

Can they start contract talks as soon as season is over?
Wouldn't it be better to trade him after 20 games into the season when he's leading the league in points?

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Wouldn't it be better to trade him after 20 games into the season when he's leading the league in points?
Good point.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Kublakhan
Lets Go Buffalo !!!

Quote:
Ugly:

Fan base.

Quit *****ing about the team winning.

The Awesome: One more game left.. then we don't have to hear the constant crying.

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:35 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
nice originality there, who did you get that from?

Edmonton and Tampa Bay have both packed it in

Its obvious the Edmonton Oliers plan was to lose alot of hockey games and get top picks for a few years in a row

Um... It's quite a common phrase in everyday life. Well, maybe not yours

Quote:
Moving the goalposts (or shifting the goalposts) is a metaphor meaning to change the criterion (goal) of a process or competition while still in progress, in such a way that the new goal offers one side an intentional advantage or disadvantage

And I disagree players try to not play hard so they lose, so they get better draft picks, so the team gets talented rookies who may or may not pan out, while the players on the team "tanking" get older and older and the window of their career get shorter and shorter, so the chance of winning a cup during their career gets smaller and smaller. But hey, maybe the Oilers are different, maybe they have 22 players all determined with one goal in mind! Lose! Lose! Lose! You believe your conspiracy, I'll just disagree with it...

Old
04-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Buffalo can start extension talks with Vanek the day free agency starts, so July 1st if that's still the date. I highly doubt they trade him on draft day unless Vanek already tells Regier he wants out no matter what (which in turn may depend on Regier's plans for Miller). With 07/01/2007 in mind, I'm quite certain Regier will hash all this out with Miller and Vanek in the next two months.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
I get that.. I really do. But all the complaining in the world isn't going to change where we end up.
I feelz ya, man. Everyone's different, though.

Quote:
Ugly: People still want to trade Vanek and hope that Armia is able to reach his production in 3-4 seasons. Vanek has to be the bridge and I'm hoping management will be doing anything they can to convince him to stay and sign an extension.
I agree. This team needs scoring on the wing. His scoring will slow down eventually, but he'll still be a good top 6 player. He's adequate defensively and competes. He just gets injured a lot. I think coaching needs to change his game up a bit. He'll be depreciating at a fast rate if they don't...

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Um... It's quite a common phrase in everyday life. Well, maybe not yours

And I disagree players try to not play hard so they lose, so they get better draft picks, so the team gets talented rookies who may or may not pan out, while the players on the team "tanking" get older and older and the window of their career get shorter and shorter, so the chance of winning a cup during their career gets smaller and smaller. But hey, maybe the Oilers are different, maybe they have 22 players all determined with one goal in mind! Lose! Lose! Lose! You believe your conspiracy, I'll just disagree with it...
where did I say that players intentionally lose to get a better pick, players don't care about a draft pick

I said a franchise which the Oilers have done by not insulation their young players, they have had the same awful team for years and have just plugged in high end picks because they believe the best way to get talent is with high picks, which they have done which I would consider intentionally losing.

Packing it in as a player doesn't mean that you want to lose, it's that you are not giving 100% effort to win the game and are taking shortcuts whether it's avoiding a hit to make a play on not blocking a shot

Never ever said players want to lose for draft picks, literally the dumbest thing anyone can think on here..

Old
04-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Well, if the Oilers pick 5th they will pick another forward since Seth Jones will be off the board.

All those forwards with no defense. Fans say Klefbom in untouchable, but he may not be NHL ready next year. And of course all their elite young forwards are untouchable too.

Wait till McTavish trades one this summer.
Monahan or Lindholm would be great picks for the Oil. Both are good on both sides of the puck, will play in tough situations, and allow RNH to eat up offensive minutes.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote