HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I don't understand why everyone is so negative?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 07:43 PM
fuhr

vCash: 500
I don't understand why everyone is so negative?

What should really be expected from these guys?

This team isn't that good so i think we should all accept it and move on. We could all complain,right or wrong,about some of the choices made by the coaching staff but that's not the real problem. This team is simply not talented enough to win playing the style they do. That's why the PP sucks not because Simpson and company can't get them to score. Christ,i bet you Simpson would be more effective than almost every forward on this team on the PP and he's been retired for how long? If they trap like the Wild and Flames they'll win more games 2-1 but that isn't how this team plays or should play.

Think about it,this team is minus two of it's top forwards from last year and has replaced them with Adam Oates. Oates will be better in the 2nd half but he won't replace Comrie and Marchant. Also,add into the equation that Smyth has been worthless and misused all year and what does that leave you? That's right,not much. Other than York what consistent threat do they have?

In all honesty,this team is about where it belongs near the bottom half with a slim chance of making the playoffs. If they can move Ryan Smyth,Laraque and maybe Jason Smith,if a contract can't be worked out,do it. See what they can get in a trade and i don't mean just draft picks. They should be able to get guys that can help them now that are cheaper in the right situation.

This season,for the most part,is done as far as the playoffs go and if they sneak in by some miracle they'll get pounded by whomever they play. So,what is the point. Hopefully they'll get a crack at one of the top three picks next season and see what that can bring.

With a little time and tinkering this team will be fine......in a year or two.

Last edited by fuhr: 12-30-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Silver

I'm negative because Oiler games aren't fun to watch anymore. I'm ok with losing when the team shows up, throws some hits, plays with a little emotion, and are coached half decently.

None of that is happening now, and to top it off, we aren't winning. It seems like most of the players have George's attitude, and that isn't a good thing. No one seems pissed about not winning. This team got off to a decent start, and I thought they were playing some exciting hockey early in the year. Then everything went down the tubes...

Old
12-30-2003, 08:06 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I'm negative because Oiler games aren't fun to watch anymore. I'm ok with losing when the team shows up, throws some hits, plays with a little emotion, and are coached half decently.

None of that is happening now, and to top it off, we aren't winning. It seems like most of the players have George's attitude, and that isn't a good thing. No one seems pissed about not winning. This team got off to a decent start, and I thought they were playing some exciting hockey early in the year. Then everything went down the tubes...
I agree with you that the games aren't fun to watch anymore and something does need to be done about that. I think getting rid of some of the vets that are becoming dead wood wouldn't be a bad idea and getting someone in here with some energy. A Brendan Morrow/Mark Bell type of player would be nice.

The thing i miss most from Oiler games is the lack of energy most nights but a good chunk of that is because of a lack of confidence,leadership and a small thing called talent.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:13 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I guess I am alone because I still think the games are very exciting.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:45 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I guess I am alone because I still think the games are very exciting.

I think exciting is a bit much but in the Oilers defence they need a willing partner for the game to be good and on most nights they don't have that partner.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:38 PM
momentai

Excitement can come a whole lot easier when you're winning... and a lot harder to come by when the team is losing.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:58 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Excitement can come a whole lot easier when you're winning... and a lot harder to come by when the team is losing.

Very true......but i just don't think this group of players is good enough to win more than a handful of games here and there.

Closed Thread