HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
no kidding, Yakupov was the best player in the draft. He will be an elite winger in the league.
Why exactly do you care about the Oilers?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM
BWK Fan 97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Sorry, always take the BPA. This group breaks that rule after the 10th pick and that's why our drafting sux.
No I'd say our choice of drafting in the second and third rounds have been bad. Moroz really? Hamilton over Pickard? These are examples of bad drafting.

And bpa might have been yak but it still seems like Murray would've fit in better and the oilers would've gotten more use out of him. It's not like nail got us to the playoffs

Old
04-23-2013, 10:39 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
No I'd say our choice of drafting in the second and third rounds have been bad. Moroz really? Hamilton over Pickard? These are examples of bad drafting.

And bpa might have been yak but it still seems like Murray would've fit in better and the oilers would've gotten more use out of him. It's not like nail got us to the playoffs
You won't find anyone here who will argue with you about their drafting outside the first round, but they didn't make a mistake taking Yak. Their prospect pool is actually filled with defensemen, but they have no forwards that will likely amount to anything outside of 3rd and 4th liners.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

And Murray, who missed the entire season with a shoulder injury, would have?

Long-term, Nail is the right pick by a mile. Doesn't matter if we need D now.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

The ****? Someone is actually wanting Murray who had a bummed shoulder, over Yakupov?

BPA>Need when it comes to the first overall pick. You don't go against that.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 PM
BWK Fan 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This makes no sense at all.
You say that drafting Yakupov over Murray was a mistake then followed that up by saying, look where we finished this year. You are aware that Murray was injured the whole season, aren't you? So how would he have helped out this season?
Yakupov was the BPA by a wide margin, it was kind of a no brainer to take him and he has done nothing since being drafted to prove the Oilers wrong.
If anything, Galchenyuk should have been the 2nd choice and Murray a distant 3rd.
I'm well aware Murray got hurt with Everett. I'm just saying yak helped us how? Playing on the third line. Do u really want your franchise player playing on the third line?? Murray wouldn't have helped this year but neither did a healthy yakupov. I don't hate yak( very exciting player) but after I saw Murray play against the wheat kings this year I was blown away by his play.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarTransition View Post
I mentioned this in the trades board too; send Yak to Florida (if they win the lottery). We need a potential franchise D more than another winger. They already have some key D pieces, so they might go for this. We can keep out pick for our #2 center.
Much more likely they trade down and take Mackinnon or Drouin. I doubt a team passes on Jones because of need no matter who wins the lottery. He's as close to a surefire #1 D as you're going to get in any draft.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
BWK Fan 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
You won't find anyone here who will argue with you about their drafting outside the first round, but they didn't make a mistake taking Yak. Their prospect pool is actually filled with defensemen, but they have no forwards that will likely amount to anything outside of 3rd and 4th liners.
I don't want to argue with anyone! I have watched the oilers as long as u guys. I haven't seen them in a playoff game since 2006! Murray was just a better fit I thought! I didn't know I was the only oilers fan who thought Murray was a better fit for this team then yakupov

Old
04-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Why exactly do you care about the Oilers?
because I have always liked the Oilers as a western conference team

Old
04-23-2013, 11:08 PM
jmoss45

Why is Jones getting so much love?

What happened to not taking a D high in the 1st round? How is he better then Erik Johnson?

He wasn't even PPG in the WHL this year.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Can't believe people are still complaining taking Yak over Murray

Murray would help us how this year?? Like people said if your picking 1st overall you take BPA. This year would be different since it seems like Seth Jones will be the BPA this year.

We are tied for 4th overall right now. Hopefully we take Barkov if we can keep this position.

1: FLA Jones
2: COL MacKinnon
3: TB Drouin
4: EDM Barkov

Please.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Cerebral

Well, bottom 7 seems pretty likely for the Oilers now unless they pick up more than 5 or more points (and even then it's still likely). 5th would be awesome but I'm happy with any of the prospects available in that top 7. I'm guessing it goes like this based on value:

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. Mackinnon
4. Barkov
5. Nichuskin
6. Lindholm
7. Monahan
8. Nurse

I'd take any of those players to be honest. I'd rather not gamble on the Russian factor in Nichuskin but it seems pretty likely that we'll walk away from this draft with either a quality centreman (one of Barkov, Lindholm, or Monahan) or a top defenceman in Nurse.

Ristolainen seems like a bit of a wild card - I've heard nothing but good things about him and given his all-around game, I could see a team picking him higher than expected in the draft.

I'd still love to walk away from this draft with Barkov but Monahan or Lindholm would be great behind RNH as well.

04-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

What happened to not taking a D high in the 1st round? How is he better then Erik Johnson?

I don't think Florida or Colorado are going to take him. Florida is loaded with young defence and people seem to be thinking col will be taking drouin

Tampa might be choosing between nichuskin and jones

4 th might be a decent place to be picking

Old
04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Lindo

I think a lot of Oilers fans here are thinking about the risk taking a D high. Drafting one of the big centers fill a big need almost as much as a D would. Slotting Monahan or Barkov behind RNH seems perfect as that big two-way center.

Not to mention we have a flood of D prospects coming through junior and waiting to join the Barons next year. Klefbom will probably be up with the Oilers, while Marincin, Gernat, Musil, and Fedun play in OKC with 1 or 2 starting in Stockton.

If they draft 7/8 and Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm are all gone, I wouldn't be mad about them picking Nurse or another D.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:20 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I don't think Florida or Colorado are going to take him. Florida is loaded with young defence and people seem to be thinking col will be taking drouin

Tampa will be choosing between nichuskin and jones
Hopefully they would pass on Jones and take Nichuskin. But Hedman-Jones sounds like a damn good paring in a few years for Tampa.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:20 PM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Tampa will be choosing between nichuskin and jones
I think the Avs take Jones in a heartbeat. Their D is arguably even worse than ours.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

Is Jones sort of the next Rob Blake? Big, tall, some what physical, decent puck mover.
I am really warming up to Barkov, though.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
at what point does the tanking stop? 2015? 2016?
Cry me a river. Try being a fan of this **** show and then get back to me.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:40 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
What are all the needs of the Oilers?

Number #1 Defenseman
Number #2 Centreman with two-way ability and size

What else is there?

Old
04-23-2013, 11:47 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
What are all the needs of the Oilers?

Number #1 Defenseman
Number #2 Centreman with two-way ability and size

What else is there?
Might as well get two number 1 defencemen and an elite level goaltender while we are it it. Grabbing a defenceman with our new system scares me. They will have to be very good in 1v1 situations or they will be exposed.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Would any of you guys marry Tambellini if it meant the Oilers would be perennial cup contenders for life?

Old
04-23-2013, 11:49 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I don't want to argue with anyone! I have watched the oilers as long as u guys. I haven't seen them in a playoff game since 2006! Murray was just a better fit I thought! I didn't know I was the only oilers fan who thought Murray was a better fit for this team then yakupov
The issue is more that it's always best to take the best player you can, because the higher value trade asset is always the right pick. If you can't use him then you can trade him for a substantial return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
I think the Avs take Jones in a heartbeat. Their D is arguably even worse than ours.
After glancing at their board, you appear to be right. They mostly agree that Jones at 1 would be the best option. There is some discussion about Drouin vs MacKinnon after that, but MacKinnon seems to have an edge in support. Barkov is also well liked, but seems to be considered 4th.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:52 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Bogosian which I said earlier wasn't bad, but Bouwmeester with an edge is what I might say - and that is a great player. Nurse's skating really is terrific. Top pairing potential with this guy, could be quite special.
Brent Seabrook is an excellent comp as well.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The good thing about drafting a solid two-way C like Barkov or Monahan would be that you could eventually play behind RNH "behind" him.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Harley

Just read an interesting article by the Hockey News stating that this draft isn't that special after all. Kind of surprised me. I've been hearing for so long it being deep well into the second round I've started believing it. According to the article most scouts are saying pretty good top end talent to the 7-8-9 spots (which looks like we are going to land in the sweet spot) but that after that it isn't that special or that deep.

And like Cerebral said in a post just a few up I think we are going to land another top end talent. Im in the Barkov/Monahan camp but any of those top 8 look like they could find their way onto our roster in short order and could be very good players. And that article in the Hockey News makes me feel a little less gun shy if Mac T wants to include either or both of our second rounders in deals to help us in any draft day deals. That first round pick I hope doesn't get moved unless its for top flight talent. Put it this way, if I had a choice between Barkov or trading him for Yandle I'd be keeping Barkov.

Closed Thread