vCash: 500
September 8th Herald article

Eyes on Kessel

HockeyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
BruinAddict

Sounds like Kessel is making a good impression with the team, that's music to my ears.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

It was nice to hear the praise from Boyes and Bergeron, especially his feelings about getting better playing vs the pros. (I know...I know...they were not going to say he sukked).

I have been arguing with people on the B's ESPN board since they drafted him, about him turning pro vs staying in college. My point was always that he was going to mature faster and get better quicker playing with the pros (NHL or AHL) than in college. Looks like Bergeron agrees

I would love to see him plaing on the line with Berg and Boyes, and shift Sturm to LW with Savard and Murray. Sturm would provide at least some D on that line and IMO Murray could flourish with Savard and Sturm moving the puck around.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
It was nice to hear the praise from Boyes and Bergeron, especially his feelings about getting better playing vs the pros. (I know...I know...they were not going to say he sukked).

I have been arguing with people on the B's ESPN board since they drafted him, about him turning pro vs staying in college. My point was always that he was going to mature faster and get better quicker playing with the pros (NHL or AHL) than in college. Looks like Bergeron agrees

I would love to see him plaing on the line with Berg and Boyes, and shift Sturm to LW with Savard and Murray. Sturm would provide at least some D on that line and IMO Murray could flourish with Savard and Sturm moving the puck around.
Great point....I'd like to see some of the funky line changes that Lewis alluded to. Savard-Murray-Sturm would be an interesting match-up.
I think it was in Kessels best interest as a play to turn pro as well......but who is this Finnish winger you refer to as Sukked? haven't heard anything about him yet!

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
neelynugs

kessel's playmaking ability has seriously been downplayed for a long time, so it's nice to hear guys like boyes and bergeron dismiss that notion. a lot of guys painted phil as a selfish puck hog who likes to score goals and doesn't use his teammates. i thought it was a pretty poor description, and when playing with NHL caliber players, you'll see just how good this kid's vision and passing skills really are, IMO.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
kessel's playmaking ability has seriously been downplayed for a long time, so it's nice to hear guys like boyes and bergeron dismiss that notion. a lot of guys painted phil as a selfish puck hog who likes to score goals and doesn't use his teammates. i thought it was a pretty poor description, and when playing with NHL caliber players, you'll see just how good this kid's vision and passing skills really are, IMO.
Was it simply that he was so much better than the college kids, add a bit of teammate jealousy, and you have the making of a "media-burning-at-the-stake"?

Old
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Pielsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper! View Post
Was it simply that he was so much better than the college kids, add a bit of teammate jealousy, and you have the making of a "media-burning-at-the-stake"?
I'll bet that is a pretty good summary of what happened to Kessel in College, Stomper. Leave it to the media to run with a negative story, despite the facts...

Phils speed and gamebreaking ability are sorely needed in Boston. I sure hope someone like Bergeron, Boyes or even Chara offer to let Kessel live with them for a while if he makes the big club. Actually, Kessels head might start to spin from seeing too many of Chara's dizzying workouts.

Pielsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper! View Post
don't get me wrong here - some of what has been said of phil is accurate. he's got a bit of growing up to do, but at the same time, he's been unfairly judged in a lot of other ways.

as for the talent level, i think you hit the nail on the head. i saw some of him at minnesota where he'd make an incredible play, only to watch a teammate shank the pass. we'll see just how good of a playmaker he is when playing with real NHL talent (and as i said, you'll really see it)

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Go Kessel Go

09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
OntheBorder555

Still in shock that kessel is on this team. When the draft was coming up, I thought we had no shot. Now there is a chance you will hear dale arnold say "Bruins on the powerplay....Kessel circles around and feeds it down low to Bergeron....bergeron sends it back to the point to Chara..."

Think about that for a minute!

OntheBorder555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:39 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheBorder555 View Post
Still in shock that kessel is on this team. When the draft was coming up, I thought we had no shot. Now there is a chance you will hear dale arnold say "Bruins on the powerplay....Kessel circles around and feeds it down low to Bergeron....bergeron sends it back to the point to Chara..."

Think about that for a minute!
...........bliss...........

Old
09-08-2006, 12:20 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
On a side note, how awsome is it to see this:

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
TheRealness

I noticed out of all the rookies, he looks like to have the most NHL ready body. Im interested to see how he fares come March when his normal season would end.

TheRealness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Shinny

Good to read postive things about Kessel from his teammates. It always impresses me how articulate Boyes is when talking about hockey. Could listen to the guy for hours!

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Cheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyguy14 View Post
That's awesome. I'm so psyched.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Good to read postive things about Kessel from his teammates. It always impresses me how articulate Boyes is when talking about hockey. Could listen to the guy for hours!
One of my favorite Brad Boyes stories is when I asked him about his passion for hockey and what he loved about it the most.

His answer came without hesitation- it was the power of the team, he said. And, he used a tennis analogy, saying he had watched a Wimbledon match over the summer and said he could never play an individual sport and enjoy it the way he does hockey because, he said, when the tennis player won, and raised his arms in victory, "he was alone in his glory."

That's what he said...Alone in his glory.

And, so- when you see Boyes pot a goal or make a nice assist, and you see him go skating into that crowd of Bruins in celebration, know that *he* is *not* alone in his glory. And that he's savoring the purest moments of his passion for the game.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
looks like he's got a little scruff going... thata boy.

TwineTickler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
One of my favorite Brad Boyes stories is when I asked him about his passion for hockey and what he loved about it the most.

His answer came without hesitation- it was the power of the team, he said. And, he used a tennis analogy, saying he had watched a Wimbledon match over the summer and said he could never play an individual sport and enjoy it the way he does hockey because, he said, when the tennis player won, and raised his arms in victory, "he was alone in his glory."

That's what he said...Alone in his glory.

And, so- when you see Boyes pot a goal or make a nice assist, and you see him go skating into that crowd of Bruins in celebration, know that *he* is *not* alone in his glory. And that he's savoring the purest moments of his passion for the game.

That's a great story. I know Boyes is intelligent because of academic awards he's received, but plenty of smart guys aren't particularly articulate. I remember one NESN show last season where he was showing how to do something on the ice and the way he explained it was impressive. And he obviously loves the game and being part of a team. He seems like a future front office guy to me.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 11:59 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Wow, looks like he slimmed down on those pudgy cheeks from the draft.

He's got the un-groomed AO look going on.

BadBruins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 03:25 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
Wow, looks like he slimmed down on those pudgy cheeks from the draft.

He's got the un-groomed AO look going on.
one of his best attribute is his skating and as someone who has played alot of hockey (not well) there is no way you can be out of shape- the cardio work out alone is amazing; but you'd be on all fours in the corner either gasping for air or blowing lunch if you could not keep up or do the drills.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

I have no issue with Kesselís conditioning and how it was reported during the combine and subsequent draft three weeks later.

It was widely known coming out of the combine that Kessel did not test well, particularly in the stationary bike-based VOMax test, which measures aerobic and cardiovascular endurance. The thing about that test is that prospects can train to do well at it by spending hours at a gym hooked up to a similar apparatus and condition themselves to ace that particular event, just as they can be groomed and prepared to execute a perfect interview.

Guys like Derick Brassard, for instance, whose seasons ended in April, were able to dedicate two months to getting ready for the combine physical testing (and VOMax) whereas Kessel wasn't, because he was playing college hockey, then went into the World Championships. Being in game shape does not translate well to the demands placed on your cardiovascular fitness for the VOMax. It just doesn't. You have to train for that differently, just like you wouldn't prepare for a marathon by running 40-yard sprints.

In Kesselís defense, he spent much of the spring months playing hockey for Minnesota and then representing Team USA in the World Championships. He didnít have the time that others did to increase their scores on that particular test, which drew the biggest scrutiny.

Nobody disputes that Kesselís combine scores, at least in that event, were below the norm. But, in looking at the bigger picture, the Bruins simply donít place as much emphasis on those physical tests as they do the interview process. Kessel talked about being grilled with hard questions, as did Ottawa 1st-rounder Nick Foligno, who told me that Boston was without a doubt the toughest interview of any of the 29 teams he talked to over the weekend.

In the end, Kessel throwing up during the VOMax and his pudgy cheeks weren't enough to stop the B's from snapping him up when he was available. Will be interesting to see how he does from here...

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 03:18 PM
bb74

I can't help but think we're looking at a Forsberg - Sakic set-up down the middle with Bergeron and Kessel in a two to three years - Kessel's got Sakic speed, wrister, passing and vision while Bergeron is the Forsberg quarterhorse on skates that can do it all.

Maybe a homer analogy but I'm pretty excited about these two in a B's uniform for the forseeable future and expect great (not just good) things from them.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
I have no issue with Kessel’s conditioning and how it was reported during the combine and subsequent draft three weeks later.

It was widely known coming out of the combine that Kessel did not test well, particularly in the stationary bike-based VOMax test, which measures aerobic and cardiovascular endurance. The thing about that test is that prospects can train to do well at it by spending hours at a gym hooked up to a similar apparatus and condition themselves to ace that particular event, just as they can be groomed and prepared to execute a perfect interview.

Guys like Derick Brassard, for instance, whose seasons ended in April, were able to dedicate two months to getting ready for the combine physical testing (and VOMax) whereas Kessel wasn't, because he was playing college hockey, then went into the World Championships. Being in game shape does not translate well to the demands placed on your cardiovascular fitness for the VOMax. It just doesn't. You have to train for that differently, just like you wouldn't prepare for a marathon by running 40-yard sprints.

In Kessel’s defense, he spent much of the spring months playing hockey for Minnesota and then representing Team USA in the World Championships. He didn’t have the time that others did to increase their scores on that particular test, which drew the biggest scrutiny.

Nobody disputes that Kessel’s combine scores, at least in that event, were below the norm. But, in looking at the bigger picture, the Bruins simply don’t place as much emphasis on those physical tests as they do the interview process. Kessel talked about being grilled with hard questions, as did Ottawa 1st-rounder Nick Foligno, who told me that Boston was without a doubt the toughest interview of any of the 29 teams he talked to over the weekend.

In the end, Kessel throwing up during the VOMax and his pudgy cheeks weren't enough to stop the B's from snapping him up when he was available. Will be interesting to see how he does from here...
funny you should say that because there are two cardio machines that I been doing for years and years- and I can kick butt on them. However, one of my friends who is a top natural body builder and oustanding athlete in several sports and done alot of the area marathons has hopped on next to me from time to time to BS and can't come close to keeping up with me because they regularly don't do it. I'm sure I would suck at most of their stuff if I did them but I know better. However, I know what you mean Kirk, you can prepare for something and after awhile it's easy if you do it enough. If that had something to do with landing Kessel than halelujiah.....I agree with bb74 post above the Bruins may be looking at Bergeron and Kessel down the middle someday emanating the same fear as Forsberg and Sakic did at one time.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote