HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Gabriel6676

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Cry me a river. Try being a fan of this **** show and then get back to me.
Agreed

Old
04-24-2013, 12:03 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Just read an interesting article by the Hockey News stating that this draft isn't that special after all. Kind of surprised me. I've been hearing for so long it being deep well into the second round I've started believing it. According to the article most scouts are saying pretty good top end talent to the 7-8-9 spots (which looks like we are going to land in the sweet spot) but that after that it isn't that special or that deep.

And like Cerebral said in a post just a few up I think we are going to land another top end talent. Im in the Barkov/Monahan camp but any of those top 8 look like they could find their way onto our roster in short order and could be very good players. And that article in the Hockey News makes me feel a little less gun shy if Mac T wants to include either or both of our second rounders in deals to help us in any draft day deals. That first round pick I hope doesn't get moved unless its for top flight talent. Put it this way, if I had a choice between Barkov or trading him for Yandle I'd be keeping Barkov.
Agreed. I know people say Hopkins is the #1C that Edm has been missing for years, and it's true; but they've been missing a big, 2 way C like Barkov for longer. He is such a perfect fit it's almost unbelievable.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Agreed. I know people say Hopkins is the #1C that Edm has been missing for years, and it's true; but they've been missing a big, 2 way C like Barkov for longer. He is such a perfect fit it's almost unbelievable.
He's at least 2-3 years away from being ready in that role though...can this fanbase wait that long?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I don't think Florida or Colorado are going to take him. Florida is loaded with young defence and people seem to be thinking col will be taking drouin

Tampa might be choosing between nichuskin and jones

4 th might be a decent place to be picking
If anyone in the NHL needs Jones, it's Colorado. Given he also happens to be BPA, it's an easy choice.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He's at least 2-3 years away from being ready in that role though...can this fanbase wait that long?
Gagner can be a very effective 2C fill in until Barkov or Monahan is ready.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:24 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
He may be 2-3 years away from being a force, but I think he could at least play here next season, and if not definitely the year after. He's played two seasons of Pro in Finland already.

Last edited by BarDownBobo: 04-24-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Spelling(love my iPhone)
Old
04-24-2013, 12:25 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Gagner can be a very effective 2C fill in until Barkov or Monahan is ready.
We are not going to compete for a playoff spot in that division next year with RNH-Gagner as our 1-2C's

Old
04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
SterlingArcher

Barkov will make the team who drafts him next year I think. Then again I could see as many as six guys doing that for their respective teams next year. This draft is really good and has top end talent that could help their teams in different ways,

Old
04-24-2013, 12:32 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
He may be 2-3 years away from being a force, but I think he could at least play here next season, and if not definitely the year after. He's played two seasons of Pro in Finland already.
What's amazing about that is the kid is still 17, and doesn't turn 18 till September. It means he started the 2011-12 season as a 15 year old, and this past one as a 16-year old.

He's put up better numbers than Granlund at the same age, and it's even more amazing because he's doing it with his size and power-forward like style. Smaller skill players (Granlund/Rajala) tend to over-score in that league, but it's rare to have a big-bodied forward like that come up and score the way Barkov has.

Even Mikko Koivu took till age 21 to score anywhere CLOSE to Barkov's rate, and even then he was well off the scoring clip of 16-17-year old Barkov.

I'm just wondering - does he engage physically/along the boards/defensively? Because it's going to be hard for him to step right in and help this team compete for playoff spots/Cups within 1-2 years if he's not ready for that role yet.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Best available forward in this draft IMO is Valeri Nichushkin. He's a C that plays the game like a PF. Big brutalizing force who engages physically, skates like the wind, has great vision, and draws comparisons to Evgeni Malkin with his style (way more than Grigorenko did).

To me he's probably the best candidate to become a great 2C on this team - potentially even a 1C over RNH.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:36 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Best available forward in this draft IMO is Valeri Nichushkin. He's a C that plays the game like a PF. Big brutalizing force who engages physically, skates like the wind, has great vision, and draws comparisons to Evgeni Malkin with his style (way more than Grigorenko did).

To me he's probably the best candidate to become a great 2C on this team - potentially even a 1C over RNH.
He's not a center though.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
What's amazing about that is the kid is still 17, and doesn't turn 18 till September. It means he started the 2011-12 season as a 15 year old, and this past one as a 16-year old.

He's put up better numbers than Granlund at the same age, and it's even more amazing because he's doing it with his size and power-forward like style. Smaller skill players (Granlund/Rajala) tend to over-score in that league, but it's rare to have a big-bodied forward like that come up and score the way Barkov has.

Even Mikko Koivu took till age 21 to score anywhere CLOSE to Barkov's rate, and even then he was well off the scoring clip of 16-17-year old Barkov.

I'm just wondering - does he engage physically/along the boards/defensively? Because it's going to be hard for him to step right in and help this team compete for playoff spots/Cups within 1-2 years if he's not ready for that role yet.
From what I've heard, he's not a guy who goes out and throws bone crushing hits, but he uses his size much to his advantage. He's comparable to Anze Kopitar and a more offensive Mikko Koivu.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:42 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
We are not going to compete for a playoff spot in that division next year with RNH-Gagner as our 1-2C's
Agree to disagree. If we can get better passing on the back end and size on the wing in the top 9, we could make it, so long as RNH rcovers quickly.

Quote:

Isn't he a winger? Besides, he's signed in the KHL for 2 years. Since you just stated that Gagner isn't an option for 2 more years, who plays 2nd C if we take Nichushkin?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
He's not a center though.
he does play center though.....and i know hes a risk....but id seriously consider this guy

Old
04-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Isn't he a winger? Besides, he's signed in the KHL for 2 years. Since you just stated that Gagner isn't an option for 2 more years, who plays 2nd C if we take Nichushkin?
Listed on every scouting service as a winger.

Only place I've seen him listed as a center is HFboards profile page for him.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:02 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Agree to disagree. If we can get better passing on the back end and size on the wing in the top 9, we could make it, so long as RNH rcovers quickly.

That's a good point. Either way we're waiting 1-2 years in limbo for these young big C's to develop into their role. Nichushkin has been used at C and W in the past.

Of Mackinnon, Barkov, and Nichushkin, the consensus seems to be that the one most likely to "remain a C" in the NHL is Barkov, as his style is most suited to it.

I've done a lot of reading on the kid on various scouting reports, as well as prospect discussion threads on HF. He seems to be that "guy"

Mature defensive game (not Toews-at-18 level but getting there), more reliant on passing than shooting, and someone who can use his body to protect the puck, win board battles, and play the 200-foot game.

He's probably the best bet to fill that 2C role.

Listening to descriptions of his game make me think of a Kopitar-Backstrom hybrid, obviously without the high-end offensive output of Backstrom, and the all-world humongous size of Kopitar.

Lots of scouts are saying he's grown this season itself from 6'2 to 6'3, and is closer to 205-210 now than the 195 he's been listed at.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:13 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I think this is a draft where you "draft for need" over BPA in terms of offensive contributions.

It reminds me of the 2006 draft, where PIT/CHI picked Staal/Toews 2nd/3rd overall because they felt they needed that big-bodied 2-way C over a pure-offense guy.

Backstrom was supposed to be the highest-rated forward in that draft IIRC.

That being said, Backstrom has turned into a solid 2-way force on his own, and up until his recent concussion issues may have been the best of all of them.

Another thing - how about that scoring clip on Drouin? 2.14 points/game The next closest guy in the Q with a clip of 1.94 is 6'3 205lb Russian Dmitri Jaskin (wow STL stole this guy in the 2nd round of 2011)

That's a ridiculous scoring pace in this post-juggernaut-London-Knights day and age. There's no one even remotely close to his scoring clip in the CHL right now (not like Kane back in 2007, where Kostitsyn/Gagner also put up some stupid numbers).

I think back - the last guy who scored at such a ridiculous clip was Sidney Crosby in 2005 (2.71) - where the next closest scorer was at <2point/game (his linemates).

Old
04-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
I think this is a draft where you "draft for need" over BPA in terms of offensive contributions.

It reminds me of the 2006 draft, where PIT/CHI picked Staal/Toews 2nd/3rd overall because they felt they needed that big-bodied 2-way C over a pure-offense guy.

Backstrom was supposed to be the highest-rated forward in that draft IIRC.

That being said, Backstrom has turned into a solid 2-way force on his own, and up until his recent concussion issues may have been the best of all of them.

Another thing - how about that scoring clip on Drouin? 2.14 points/game The next closest guy in the Q with a clip of 1.94 is 6'3 205lb Russian Dmitri Jaskin (wow STL stole this guy in the 2nd round of 2011)

That's a ridiculous scoring pace in this post-juggernaut-London-Knights day and age. There's no one even remotely close to his scoring clip in the CHL right now (not like Kane back in 2007, where Kostitsyn/Gagner also put up some stupid numbers).

I think back - the last guy who scored at such a ridiculous clip was Sidney Crosby in 2005 (2.71) - where the next closest scorer was at <2point/game (his linemates).
I think Drouin will be the best player in this draft but if you are going to mention Drouin's stats, you should also mention Mackinnon has 23 points in 10 games. Both are scoring at a ridiculous pace.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

At this point I hope they lose the remaining games. We could easily walk out of this draft with Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov, with a shot at Jones. I also wanna see MacT at the draft lottery

Old
04-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
At this point I hope they lose the remaining games. We could easily walk out of this draft with Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov, with a shot at Jones. I also wanna see MacT at the draft lottery
The way they've been playing, it's looking like a virtual lock at this point.

Hoping for Barkov myself, just seems like a perfect fit for this franchise.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Would any of you guys marry Tambellini if it meant the Oilers would be perennial cup contenders for life?
Without thinking twice. Hell I'd even be the wife.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:37 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I think Drouin will be the best player in this draft but if you are going to mention Drouin's stats, you should also mention Mackinnon has 23 points in 10 games. Both are scoring at a ridiculous pace.
Mackinnon had no where close to the regular-season output of Drouin though. It seems a common theme that Drouin outplays Mackinnon. It happened at WJHC as well.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
I'm hoping we land Barkov. I'd be pleased with anyone from the top eight of course, but Barkov is the guy I think we need most. Lindholm or Nurse would be a great consolation prize.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Toydarian

I am just looking forward to drafting a big no.2 centre with the outside chance of a top defenseman.

The thing I have issue with is Drouin. If he is available, I think you have to draft him, but he is the farthest thing from what the Oilers need. Regardless, I doubt Drouin gets passed COL, CAR, or TBL anyway.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Mackinnon had no where close to the regular-season output of Drouin though. It seems a common theme that Drouin outplays Mackinnon. It happened at WJHC as well.
Drouin is the Hall while Mackinnon is the Seguin. Really can't go wrong with either, Mackinnon might have a better hockey sense or defensive game, but Drouin has thr X factor and personal drive that pushes him a step above. IMO

Closed Thread