Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Houston Aeros to move next season; become Iowa Wild

Old
04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

vCash: 50
Honestly, I wish they came up with a better logo if that is what they are rolling with.

I assume they just made this one up to put it out there officially, and that a script logo won't be what the team rolls with as their main.

The name limits it quite a bit, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with (if anything).

Paul Bunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://twitter.com/IAWild

Official Twitter account.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
TheeNorthStar

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
State of Hockey

Pretty lame compared to the Aeros name/logo.

Never have liked script logos either.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
StealthClobber
EUCALYPTUS!!!

If this were the Minnesota Wild jersey, I would like it. But it's not, it's for the IAWild, and that pisses me off. That jersey was an Aeros jersey, not an IA Wild jersey, and it should've stayed an Aeros jersey.

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
drumnj

Send a message via AIM to drumnj Send a message via MSN to drumnj Send a message via Yahoo to drumnj
Nice to see some professional hockey back in Iowa. Not really sure if there was a lot of interest when the Stars were here, but there are a lot of Minnesotans (or Minnesota fans in general) around, so that should hopefully help with building support. With the team being owned by the Wild, it should be much better managed than before...which is why Des Moines lost the Stars/Chops.

I'll be looking forward to catching a few games against the Griffins in the upcoming seasons. Who interestingly enough are playing against the Aeros the 1st round of the AHL playoffs. So hoping the Griffs can give the Houston team a good send off

drumnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:27 PM
StealthClobber
EUCALYPTUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnj View Post
Nice to see some professional hockey back in Iowa. Not really sure if there was a lot of interest when the Stars were here, but there are a lot of Minnesotans (or Minnesota fans in general) around, so that should hopefully help with building support. With the team being owned by the Wild, it should be much better managed than before...which is why Des Moines lost the Stars/Chops.

I'll be looking forward to catching a few games against the Griffins in the upcoming seasons. Who interestingly enough are playing against the Aeros the 1st round of the AHL playoffs. So hoping the Griffs can give the Houston team a good send off
What are you, a Griffs fan?

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Announcer has NHL dreams

Like the players he watches, Joe O’Donnell has NHL aspirations.

The 33-year-old broadcaster and voice of the Houston Aeros plans to be in Des Moines next season.

“My goal, like the players, is to get to the National Hockey League,” O’Donnell said. “Wherever that path takes me, I’m willing to work for that goal.”

O’Donnell, now in his fifth season with the Aeros, was in Des Moines on Monday, meeting fans and introducing Wild officials during a press conference.

“I’d say that I call an honest game,” he said. “I’d like to consider myself pretty objective. I’m just as passionate as the players and the fans are about winning.”
Iowa Wild notes: Team considered bringing Aeros nickname to D.M.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
nickschultzfan

Aeros are dead people. Get used to it. Comparing the Iowa Wild jersey's to the Iowa "Aeros" is like comparing your wife to your ex-girlfriend who dumped you. Nothing good will come of it.

Iowa Wild is a fine name. It's all about getting the state of Iowa into the Wild, which is a good goal to have.

25 years ago, my dad made me try hockey, because 45 years ago, the North Stars games were sometimes shown on his Iowa TV set. That worked out quite well.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 04-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 AM
sushinsky4tsar

For me, there were two names that the new farm club should not be called:

Wild
Aeros

Nice to know that these were the only names considered. The fact that they felt comfortable using the Wild name in Iowa just reaffirms the ambiguity of the name and how it offers nothing that's unique to the state of Minnesota. Of course, they don't know what the hell Iowa Wild is supposed to represent, so they just go ahead and roll out a script jersey. Granted, it's a sharp looking jersey. Maybe they will rescue the name with a fresh take on the Wild head (which I think partly salvaged the Minnesota Wild name).

Dear Wild, you want to build your brand identity through the region and in-state? Figure out a way to win a playoff series for the first time in a decade.

The Aeros name belongs in Houston for their next hockey team. Shame on them for even considering taking that with them to Des Moines. There were a few clever nicknames brainstormed by HF posters in the other thread. I'm sure that you would get something solid opening up a name the team campaign in Des Moines. They would probably come up with something that actually means something to them.

Nitpicking. All will be forgiven if it means there are some Iowa Wild broadcasts in place of Best of the 2013 Twins rebroadcasts next winter on FSN.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote