HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Tiebreaker

Old
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Pitlick*

vCash: 500
Tiebreaker

After the season, there is a possibility we could be tied with the Rangers and/or Islanders, and also have the same number of Regulation / OT wins (1st tiebreak) with these teams.

What is the second and third tiebreaker in this scenario?

Does it change if it is a 3-way tie rather than a 2-way tie?

Sorry to the neat freaks for starting a thread for this, but it is an interesting topic...

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
This kind of fits into what we've been discussing in the Around the NHL thread.

Ottawa is control of it's seeding (and playoff) destiny.

If the Sens finish 3-0-0 they will 100% be the 6th seed at worst in the playoffs. I don't know why SportsClubStats says otherwise.

EDIT: Maybe it has to do with teams like the Leafs falling in the standings.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Pitlick*

Tie with NYI in points and ROW... If we go 2-1 / 3-0, and Islanders 1-1 / 2-0; both teams will have 56 / 58 points and 21 / 22 ROW.

Who wins the 2nd tiebreaker with us and NYI? And what is the 2nd tiebreaker?

Edit: okay, we CAN tie NYR in points and ROW, if they go 0-0-2, and we go 1-2. And it can be 3-way with NYI if they go 0-2. Who wins the tiebreaker between Ott and NYR? And who wins the tiebreaker between all 3 teams?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
So...

The Islanders are two points up on us, with a game in hand. If we win that game in hand, we have the same number of ROW as them as well. We do hold the tiebreaker. It comes down to points in the games between us. Because there weren't an even amount of home and away games between us, the Senators first home game isn't counted (because the Sens had more points in the season series, you take away the winners first home game). That was a win. So it comes to the two in the Island, which the Sens won one and lost one in a shootout. The Sens in those two games got three points, while the Islanders got two. So the Sens win the tiebreaker.

Against the Rangers, we swept the season series three games, with one being in a shootout. Ironically, the shootout game wouldn't count for the same reasons the Sens win against the Islanders at home won't, so it gets thrown away. The Sens got 4/4 points, while the Rangers got 0/4. We win the tiebreaker there.

As Manked said, we control our own destiny. With the chance now to tie the NYI/NYR in points and win the tiebreakers, going 3-0-0 would get into the sixth seed.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Does it not go Points>wins in regulation>goal differential>then which team one more games against the other.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
Tie with NYI in points and ROW... If we go 2-1 / 3-0, and Islanders 1-1 / 2-0; both teams will have 56 / 58 points and 21 / 22 ROW.

Edit: okay, we CAN tie NYR in points and ROW, if they go 0-0-2, and we go 1-2. And it can be 3-way with NYI if they go 0-2. Who wins the tiebreaker between Ott and NYR? And who wins the tiebreaker between all 3 teams?
We would due to a better h2h record.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Does it not go Points>wins in regulation>goal differential>then which team one more games against the other.
No.

*Source Below*

* - Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
No.

1) Points
2) ROW
3) Points between the two teams
4) Goal differential

Old
04-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:

If it's a three way tie, this is what NHL.com says. "If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing."

Not going to look heavily into it, but we went 5-0-1 against those two teams. If the "odd games" (not sure what exactly they are...) mean the first two Sens home games in each season series, we went 3-0-1. None of them could beat that because each at least have one regulation loss to us.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:56 PM
malcolmedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.com
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.
Three way tie I would assume it goes into a mini division of games played between each other.

malcolmedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:57 PM
porknbeans

i just want us to get into the playoffs (either by default or by actually winning games lol)

Whatever seed we get doesn't really matter IMO, the playoffs are a whole new game.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Pitlick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
i just want us to get into the playoffs (either by default or by actually winning games lol)

Whatever seed we get doesn't really matter IMO, the playoffs are a whole new game.
I disagree. There is a huge difference in playing Pittsburgh vs. playing Montreal, for example.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post

Yea, me too. Job one, clinch making the playoffs. After that, worry about seeding.....although 8th is the least preferential for obvious reasons.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmedge View Post
Three way tie I would assume it goes into a mini division of games played between each other.
Yes, that is what the rule says.

And yeah we hold the head to head tie-breaker against NYI and NYR, as well as the three way tie-breaker after ROW.

It's just a matter of catching them in ROW and points.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmedge View Post
Assuming "odd games" is the uneven season winners first home game, it looks like we'd win that one as well. Looked up each teams results, points gotten against each other and I took the odd game out (NYR-NYI does not have an odd game since they met four times, two on each home teams rink).

Senators

3-2 SOL vs. NYI
5-3 W vs. NYI
3-2 W vs. NYR
3-0 W vs. NYR
Record: 3-0-1 (7/8 possible points - 87.5% of possible points were earned)

Islanders

3-2 W vs. OTT
5-3 L vs. OTT
4-1 L vs. NYR
4-3 W vs. NYR
2-1 OTL vs. NYR
1-0 OTL vs. NYR
Record: 2-2-2 (6/12 possible points - 50% of possible points were earned)

Rangers

3-2 L vs. OTT
3-0 L vs. OTT
4-1 W vs. NYI
4-3 SOL vs. NYI
2-1 W vs. NYI
1-0 W vs. NYI
Record: 3-2-1 (7/12 points - 58.33333% of possible points were earned)

Ranking by Percentage of Possible Points

1) Ottawa Senators - 87.5%
2) New York Rangers - 58.3333333%
3) New York Islanders - 50%

So based on the NHL rules, "If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.", the Senators make it as the 6th seed, the Rangers the 7th seed and the Islanders the 8th seed.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:03 AM
kendroberts

Hi, I'm Ken the Sports Club Stats guy.
I saw you guys talking about how Ottawa has to get 6th if they win out, and why does scs says otherwise. So I looked at my "remove the odd game" code and ...... I think I'm doing it wrong :<
I'm sleepy, so I don't trust my eyes, but I think I'm correctly removing the odd game when there is one, but if there isn't I remove both teams first home games!!!!!!! Which is terrible.
I'll let you know what I find. Thanks.

kendroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:10 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
I disagree. There is a huge difference in playing Pittsburgh vs. playing Montreal, for example.
Absolutely enormous. We have just as good a chance against Montreal than they do against us. Especially with Karlsson.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
kendroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendroberts View Post
I saw you guys talking about how Ottawa has to get 6th if they win out, and why does scs says otherwise. So I looked at my "remove the odd game" code and ...... I think I'm doing it wrong :<
I'm sleepy, so I don't trust my eyes, but I think I'm correctly removing the odd game when there is one, but if there isn't I remove both teams first home games!!!!!!! Which is terrible.
Update 1: I still think my code is wrong. I fixed it (locally, to test) and nobodies odds changed. For example, it still shows all the same seeds in Ottawa's what if section.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Update 1: I still think my code is wrong. I fixed it (locally, to test) and nobodies odds changed. For example, it still shows all the same seeds in Ottawa's what if section.
I just wanted to take the time to say thank you so much for your site! It's a huge help and I love it to death.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:59 AM
kendroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I just wanted to take the time to say thank you so much for your site! It's a huge help and I love it to death.
Thank you for that, especially since I just said I messed things up.

The program agrees with everyone's answer to the OP.
I logged each case where Ottawa is in the head to head tiebreaker, Ottawa always won:

Code:
				Seed
	5		6			7			8
Ottawa	Islanders	
Ottawa	Rangers	
Ottawa	Rangers		Islanders	

Ottawa		Islanders	
		Ottawa		Rangers	
		Ottawa		Rangers		Islanders	

Ottawa		Islanders	
					Ottawa		Rangers

Old
04-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
So...

The Islanders are two points up on us, with a game in hand. If we win that game in hand, we have the same number of ROW as them as well. We do hold the tiebreaker. It comes down to points in the games between us. Because there weren't an even amount of home and away games between us, the Senators first home game isn't counted (because the Sens had more points in the season series, you take away the winners first home game). That was a win. So it comes to the two in the Island, which the Sens won one and lost one in a shootout. The Sens in those two games got three points, while the Islanders got two. So the Sens win the tiebreaker.

Against the Rangers, we swept the season series three games, with one being in a shootout. Ironically, the shootout game wouldn't count for the same reasons the Sens win against the Islanders at home won't, so it gets thrown away. The Sens got 4/4 points, while the Rangers got 0/4. We win the tiebreaker there.

As Manked said, we control our own destiny. With the chance now to tie the NYI/NYR in points and win the tiebreakers, going 3-0-0 would get into the sixth seed.
I read it as you take away the first home game of the team that had more. So the first one @ the ilse. So counting one home game each. Seems fairer overall. Same overall result, home win and a SOL.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Impressive service

Thanks!

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
So let's pretend we haven't actually clinched a spot yet.

Who gets in if we tie Winnipeg?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
So let's pretend we haven't actually clinched a spot yet.

Who gets in if we tie Winnipeg?
Winnipeg, they have us in ROW.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
I read it as you take away the first home game of the team that had more. So the first one @ the ilse. So counting one home game each. Seems fairer overall. Same overall result, home win and a SOL.
Good catch.

This would actually take away our SOL because it was the first game we played on the Island. So we went 2-0 against them, while they went 0-2 against us. In the Rangers one, we take away the first game we played in Scotiabank Place against them. This was a 3-2 shootout win. So we go 2-0 against them, they go 0-2 against us.