HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 02:31 AM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Leaving the Katz hate out of this, everyone knew the arena was necessary and eventually going to happen. Why ***** and complain for years when we could have saved much more than the currently missing amount by putting the project through long ago.
Isn't that all political decisions though, LRTs, freeways, pipelines, etc. Its rare to get a quick decision when the costs are lowest and even rarer to have the project come in on budget.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:38 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Isn't that all political decisions though, LRTs, freeways, pipelines, etc. Its rare to get a quick decision when the costs are lowest and even rarer to have the project come in on budget.
Deciding whether we need things is one thing, but arguing the benefit of something so obvious is dumb. They were debating parking capacity in the downtown core even recently when it was pretty much proven a non issue in 2 months in.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Quote:
Deciding whether we need things is one thing, but arguing the benefit of something so obvious is dumb. They were debating parking capacity in the downtown core even recently when it was pretty much proven a non issue in 2 months in.
I agree... democracy sucks... too much debating and dithering.

They need a proactive benevolent dictator who just assertively institutes what's best for the good of the city.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
If Seattle wants a team, and Katz wants to move there, I guarantee the NHL will allow it. And yeah, put Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yak in any other market and they will sell tickets. The NHL and city can't force Katz to build an arena with his own money
Because Seattle is so attractive an option?

Its not. Hockey would be very much the second sports occupant, behind basketball and they would be only a renter. All of the entertainment dollars from concerts etc will definitely not go to the hockey owner. Good luck with that deal.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Leaving the Katz hate out of this, everyone knew the arena was necessary and eventually going to happen. Why ***** and complain for years when we could have saved much more than the currently missing amount by putting the project through long ago.
Katz's gamesmanship probably didn't do much to move the timeline along...

Old
04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I doubt the NHL would be too happy seeing the Oilers go from Edmonton (a crazy hockey obsessed market) to Seattle.

Look how long the NHL is willing to keep Phoenix on life support. I don't think they take relocating lightly at all. It's not like it was in the days when teams were being ripped out of Canada. They see it was wrong to move from areas of strong support to areas of weakness so moving the Oilers would be an idiotic option.

They hate to see teams relocate. Atlanta was a forced move... and that went from an area of weakness to an area of strength (Winnipeg).

Katz fairy tale journey to Seattle was BS and I'm sure Bettman and the NHL thought so as well.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Mayor Mandel sounded pretty pissed off today while criticizing the Redford government.

http://www.630ched.com/news/edmonton...spx?ID=1945052

He sounds pretty emphatic that we need more provincial funding (non-direct/an increase in MSI) or this isn't going to happen.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Then it's likely not going to happen. Why does he think they'd change their minds now?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I doubt the NHL would be too happy seeing the Oilers go from Edmonton (a crazy hockey obsessed market) to Seattle.

Look how long the NHL is willing to keep Phoenix on life support. I don't think they take relocating lightly at all. It's not like it was in the days when teams were being ripped out of Canada. They see it was wrong to move from areas of strong support to areas of weakness so moving the Oilers would be an idiotic option.

They hate to see teams relocate. Atlanta was a forced move... and that went from an area of weakness to an area of strength (Winnipeg).

Katz fairy tale journey to Seattle was BS and I'm sure Bettman and the NHL thought so as well.
When they find out there's no chance for an arena here, bettman won't lift a finger to stop the team from moving.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Then it's likely not going to happen. Why does he think they'd change their minds now?
For what it's worth I've been conversing with a gentleman on the Sportsnet boards about the subject and he's pretty confident that they'll go ahead. He figures that this is just a last ditch effort to convince the provincial government. Here's what he had to say yesterday when I asked about the latest development.

Quote:
Do you mind me asking where your info on the situation comes from? You can PM me about it. Just curious.
Quote:
No trouble and no need for PM. I'm happy to share as much as I'm willing to share in an open forum in this thread.

Truth be told I'm a senior executive within a mid-level revenue generating corporation located within the DT core. The majority of my business involves both public and private sector interests. Im a member of the Alberta Chamber of Commerce and an active participant in the DT Businesss Association, sit on a number of committee's and also play an active role in the community I live in located Central West close ish to the river valley. As a result I 'hear stuff' and get some info here and there from fairly credible sources both within my business and private life.

I am not directly affiliated with the NHL, Oilers, Rexall, Katz or the Arena development proper. Myself and my company do stand to benefit significantly in the development along with every other DT business.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Anyway, I think Ive been fairly accurate and quite honest about what I know and do not know within this thread which I started MANY years ago. I dont like to post rumour and tend to go with the "Stuff I hear" as its rarely way off base.
He's been pretty credible over the course of this entire ordeal. He posted about negative developments regarding the project last October before The Katz Group made their demands.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Mayor Mandel sounded pretty pissed off today while criticizing the Redford government.

http://www.630ched.com/news/edmonton...spx?ID=1945052

He sounds pretty emphatic that we need more provincial funding (non-direct/an increase in MSI) or this isn't going to happen.
Mandel looking like an asshat lately. One week he's crying about post secondary funding and taking it as a personal slight against Edmonton, next week this. Province has NEVER agreed to any additional funding for the arena and had already maintained always that city could opt MSI if thats what they wanted to do.

Only Mandel, through all of this, was claiming that he secretly knew that the province would find away to come through to help fund this.

Mandel basically being mad because he's lied throughout about a specific provincial contribution and now begging for it.

I like Mandel, but credibility gone. At this point he's only pissing off the provincial govt at the worst possible time for them. This will be remembered and Mandel is planting some ill advised hostile seeds.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
When they find out there's no chance for an arena here, bettman won't lift a finger to stop the team from moving.
Yeah because god forbid, the Islanders & others didnt play in antiquated arenas forever.
Great point

Old
04-25-2013, 01:39 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Yeah because god forbid, the Islanders & others didnt play in antiquated arenas forever.
Great point
You don't remember the Lighthouse Project, do you? Or the fact that they actually are moving?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You don't remember the Lighthouse Project, do you? Or the fact that they actually are moving?
Ah yeah I do.How long did they play at NASSAU andd how long did the drama of Lighthouse go on?

Old
04-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

David Staples is emphatic that the deal is about to fail.

Quote:
David Staples ‏@dstaples 20m
On arena, reasonable solution is 50/50 private-public split on final $55 million, but I do not expect this. Deal is about to fail. No arena
Quote:
David Staples ‏@dstaples 18m
So there will be no arena, no entertainment district, no mass injection of downtown infrastructure money. Some folks will be pleased. Not me
Whether you're for the arena or against it... to just scrap it right now seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Looks like the city and The Katz Group need another mediation round with Bettman.

The Katz Group can whine and pout all they want about the city "failing" this project but the truth is that they've bent over backwards time and time again to make this happen. It's time for Uncle Daryl to take a hit in the wallet if he doesn't want to see this collapse.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I can't fathom how anybody would be able to cheer for this team if they moved away. The Oilers move, I'm done with the NHL.

Anyway, reading some more tweets Staples seems to be basing his pessimism on the idea that councilors will vote against moving forward on the 8th. A person who claims to have attended the last several council meetings regarding the arena told him that he's underestimating just how many councilors are vehemently in favour of this project and Staples' only response was "I hope you're right."

Staples is in the dark just like the rest of us... he just pretends that he isn't.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The arena deal will get done. There's going to be posturing right up until the very end though.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

Old
04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I think this city is at a tipping point. Greatness or continued mediocrity. These next couple weeks will have a significant effect on the future.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:03 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

how come Staples is the only one saying its dead?
Mayor has said peep
councillors has been silent
no statement from Katz

I'll wait until all parties involved says its dead

but to me, killing this 480M deal over 55M seems absurd...but this is Edmonton

Old
04-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
how come Staples is the only one saying its dead?
Mayor has said peep
councillors has been silent
no statement from Katz

I'll wait until all parties involved says its dead

but to me, killing this 480M deal over 55M seems absurd...but this is Edmonton
Like I said, Staples seems to be basing it on the idea that councilors will kill it on the 8th because they don't have the remaining 55 mil. He doesn't have any proof that they will, he just doesn't see a solution. To kill it outright after so much money and so much time has been invested seems absurd, but like you said... this is Edmonton.

EDIT: The anti-arena crowds on Twitter and Facebook seem to be celebrating already. It's interesting that this is all based off Staples' opinion.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

$455,000 for this bat and the sports figurine cut outs on the lamp posts along 118 ave.

Maybe this arena deal needs some more thought.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

$455,000 for this bat and the sports figurine cut outs on the lamp posts along 118 ave.

Maybe this arena deal needs some more thought.
You'll be sorry that you said that when the bug invasion happens.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Well looks like Katz is going to have to pony up that 55 million. its going to be hard for the guy I hope he can find it in his heart to do it.

Closed Thread