HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Michel Goulet

Old
04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
Michel Goulet

While watching the Rangers game today they mentioned Birthdays on this date and they mentioned Michel Goulet.What a goal scoring machine he was from 81 to 88.Growing up a Rangers fan my second favorite team was les Nordiques.What a player this guy was and he really never comes up in conversations as a great LW in his time.Pure sniper.My other favorite player from that team was Normand Rochefort.Guy was the original line backer on skates for my generation.Number 5 forever! Is there a chance Qubec could ever get a team back??

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Nalens Oga
Hth

vCash: 1963
Quebec will get a team back but I would move this to the History of Hockey section.

Most of these kids do not know who Oates or Damphousse are let alone Goulet or the Stastny's or Paiement.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Walkingthroughforest
johnny be good

We're at the point where Mario Lemieux is being questioned as being overrated as he scored a lot on the power play.

It's a great question, but this isn't your audience.

Walkingthroughforest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Big Phil

Goulet was a fine sniper in his time. Had a nice scoring touch, nose for the net. He believes that he would have hit 100 goals in a season had he played with Gretzky. He said so in an interview on Legends of Hockey. You never know, but he never got more than 57 in a season. I doubt Gretzky adds 43 goals to his resume. I'm not sure Goulet was any better of a goal scorer than Kurri and we saw Kurri peak at 71. Goulet did however have great chemistry with Gretzky in the 1984 Canada Cup though. A fine talent in his own right, and without a doubt a HHOF talent.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Goulet was a fine sniper in his time. Had a nice scoring touch, nose for the net. He believes that he would have hit 100 goals in a season had he played with Gretzky. He said so in an interview on Legends of Hockey. You never know, but he never got more than 57 in a season. I doubt Gretzky adds 43 goals to his resume. I'm not sure Goulet was any better of a goal scorer than Kurri and we saw Kurri peak at 71. Goulet did however have great chemistry with Gretzky in the 1984 Canada Cup though. A fine talent in his own right, and without a doubt a HHOF talent.
Yeah he was probably drunk when he said that. Goulet is most definitely an HOF caliber player but there's not a chance in any dimensional plane that he would have scored 100 goals even if he was flanked by a prime Oates and prime Gretzky feeding him saucer passes to an open net all day as if it was the team mandate to do so. The only way he gets 100 goals is if he plays for the Verdun juniors. sorry Michel. Such a statement is even more ridiculous because it diminishes the merits of the other hall of famer he was lucky enough to share ice time with.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Hey guys I never knew HF had this forum for History of Hockey..I will make it a reg stop from now on...

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Yeah he was probably drunk when he said that. Goulet is most definitely an HOF caliber player but there's not a chance in any dimensional plane that he would have scored 100 goals even if he was flanked by a prime Oates and prime Gretzky feeding him saucer passes to an open net all day as if it was the team mandate to do so. The only way he gets 100 goals is if he plays for the Verdun juniors. sorry Michel. Such a statement is even more ridiculous because it diminishes the merits of the other hall of famer he was lucky enough to share ice time with.

The part where he talks about possibly cracking 100 goals in a season had he played with Gretzky starts at 1:40. No, he doesn't appear drunk, but very sincere that he would at least be close to it. I don't think he would have, but there it is in the video for all eyes to see.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

One of the last WHA players standing when he retired, a 'baby Bull' with the Birmingham Bulls in 1978-79. One hell of a sniper. He is the first person that comes to mind for me, even over the Stastny brothers when I hear the name Nordiques.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
tony d
Is it though?

One of my favourite left wingers of the 80's. Such a great goal scorer. Had a bad injury to end his career.

04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Wrigley
He had a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
One of my favourite left wingers of the 80's. Such a great goal scorer. Had a bad injury to end his career.

Agreed. He was great and I like him even more than HHoFer LW Bill Barber.

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:21 AM

One of my all time favorites. As great a goal scorer he was, he also worked the boards and was pretty tough in his own way.

I think the 100 goals quote is more of a nod to Gretz than anything. Goulet never struck me as the showboating type.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

The part where he talks about possibly cracking 100 goals in a season had he played with Gretzky starts at 1:40. No, he doesn't appear drunk, but very sincere that he would at least be close to it. I don't think he would have, but there it is in the video for all eyes to see.
His best shot would have been 1983-84, and even then Gretzky would have needed to make him twice the goal-scorer Stastny made him. Playing with Stastny probably gained him an additional 10-20 goals. Does playing with Gretzky bump him up another 50? I find that extremely hard to believe. Stastny was an excellent playmaker in his own right.

Perhaps Goulet reaches 70 with Gretzky, maybe even 80. But not 100. Especially as Gretzky through his career showed a preference for a scoring RW rather than a scoring LW. Jari Kurri. Bernie Nicholls on the PP. Tomas Sandstrom. Alexei Kovalev. Yes, he played with Luc Robitaille; but notice that Robitaille's numbers dip in 88-89 when Nicholls is acquired and are almost identical to Sandstrom's in 90-91 despite Sandstrom being far less talented offensively. In 1991-92, Kurri replaces Robitaille on Gretzky's line and Robitaille plays on a line with Bob Kudelski and Tony Granato... and puts up 107 points, his best since the Gretzky trade. Robitaille has a record season for LWs in 1992-93 when he is centered not by Gretzky (who is injured for 39 games) but Kurri, who posts an 87-point season, his best post-Edmonton. Robitaille drops under 90 the following season, playing with a healthy Art-Ross winning Gretzky. Kurri scores 77 points on the RW on the same line.

As you can see, Robitaille was actually able to do more offensively with other centers (Kurri, Kudelski) than he did with Gretzky, due to Gretzky's diplayed pattern of succeeding better with a RW.

How this would translate to Goulet, unsure. Perhaps Goulet would do quite well on the right side. But I think that a center like Yzerman (Ogrodnick, Gallant, Shanahan) or Lemieux (Stevens) who tended to impart greater success to the left side would have been a better bet to push Goulet to 100, despite not being Gretzky.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:51 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

I'm sure he woudn't have scored 100 goals but Goulet didn't play with Stastny. Dale Hunter was his center.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote