HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First off, CGY or Edm would have to give us a heck of a lot more than just their 1st overall pick.
Second, if you're not happy with Price, you'll be even less happy with Bernier.

You should take a step back, maybe wash your face with some icy cold water, and chill da **** out.

You are being incredibly ridiculous and acting like an overly emotional teenage fan who's getting ready to hang himself because the GM didn't acquire one freaking Dman like JayBo (who's been playing rather average since joining CGY on a bad contract) at the deadline.

1- Bergevin didn't throw anything away. Perhaps he wasn't entirely convinced that this group are actual contenders. Maybe he thinks we need a lot more than just a JayBo to solidify ourselves as a contender. Maybe he feels like challenging for the cup in a shortened season just isn't good enough. Maybe he wants us to return to our dynasty ways. Maybe he wants to really evaluate what this current group of guys (that will be very similar to next year's) can actually do in the POs before trading picks and prospects away for rentals.
Bergevin took a very poised decision. We are still fighting for 2nd in the East, and he didn't give up. That's a loser's mentality. The guys got to the top of the division by themselves, I doubt they're in the room crying over not getting JayBo, or anybody else.
Boston and Pittsburgh won the cup in recent years. They're fully aware of what they have under their hands. As for us, we don't freaking know. Heck, I'd be ready to bet anything that you thought the Habs were at the very best a PO bubble team this year, and maybe you didn't even think they were gonna make the POs. Yet here you are pretending like you know best and crying over not selling assets for rentals because you now believe that the team who you thought was nothing more than mediocre can contend for the cup. Have you not learned anything from the past seasons?? Just a couple years ago we were red hot for the first half of the year and then collapsed, barely made the POs, and got swept in rd1.
Not even you know what type of team we really have. Maybe you should find out before making bigger moves.

2- Drewiske is a depth move. He looks like crap because he's used in a role he shouldn't play, at least not now. In any event, he also grabbed Halpern and Ryder, two great decisions. He would have picked up Sestito as well but the Nucks grabbed him first unfortunately. He was obviously in talks with certain teams, but wasn't willing to give up what was asked. So he didn't just sit on his hands.
Also, Gainey was here for 5 years, he had time to evaluate and change things to his liking but failed. Bergevin saw his team perform 36 times. Cut him some slack. But you're wrong, Gainey/Gauthier constantly traded picks away for some patch work.

3- I understand your point, you wanted to bring in some depth and size, like most fans. I don't disagree. But I'm not going to rant out as if Bergevin killed the season and the year because he opted not to trade away assets for rentals in after 36 games.

4- Pittsburgh is seeing their window close, little by little. It will be more difficult for them later on as guys like Orpik, Letang, Malkin, Kennedy, Kunitz will all need to be renegotiated with and likely get raises. There's also Crosby who's becoming an injury prone player and might be one concussion away from calling it quits (pure speculation from me, but considering the amount of time missed due to them in recent years, I believe it's a fair one). Not only that, but guys like Iginla and Morrow wanted to go to Pittsburgh. As I mentioned in the 1st point, they also know what they have under their hands, so it makes it a whole lot easier to say ''let's go for broke''.
Boston is going through their share of struggles. They've been slightly better than us.
Their trades brought them very little.

5- The point is not just to look at one or two years. It's to look over the long haul. I want us to be part of the Elite in the East (and NHL) for years to come, not have a little cinderella short season and then go back to PO bubble years. If that means not trading away picks for rental this year, so be it. Of course, this is assuming Bergevin will indeed turn us into a consistent elite team for years.

6- We've faced adversity before. We lost Diaz when he was a key player, Bourque was also lost for a long while when he was performing decently well. We lost Prust. We lost Armstrong. But we always kept winning. Now people think because we lost Emelin we're losing when in fact the whole team is just lost and our goalie can't stop a beach ball. We will bounce back from this slump the moment our goalies start making saves. We could have added three top 4 Dmen, if Price doesn't stop giving softies away multiple times within a game, we'd still be in this funk.

7- You can look at next year the way you want to. You can say the Gallys will struggle through a sophomore slump. I can say they will be better, in bigger roles, with more experience. Markov will be a year older, but he also will have gone through a first season back from injury, have some time off during summer, train to be back in even better shape next season. Bouillon could very well end up being our 7th Dman.
Halpern could be replaced via open market, Gionta is still good for 20-25 goals and could possibly be reduced to a 3rd line role. There will also be the summer to make trades or signings after establishing areas of need and improvement over the course of this current year.

So again, let's stop being over dramatic.
Best post in this thread

Old
04-23-2013, 10:38 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
STL
TBL
PHX
NSH
NJ
NYI
FLA
DAL
CGY
CHI
ANA
CAR

These teams might want DD. Most of them have poor center depth and would be very happy taking a 50pt center off our hands, no matter if he's small.

Not looking to add a small, non-physical center.

Tavares
Nielsen
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nelson
Sundstrom
Lee

Old
04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Tavares
Nielsen
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nelson
Sundstrom
Lee
Consider them off the list!

Old
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
blarneylad

I don't reply to the posts very often, but I'm of the opinion that Galchenyuk should start playing center next season and with more offensive linemates and opportunities on the powerplay.

Bergevin will make a move this offseason. Having Pleks and DD as top two centermen will not improve our chances at contending and especially not improve our team as a threat in the POs

DD should be the odd man out imho

Old
04-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Tavares
Nielsen
Cizikas
Strome
Brock Nelson
Sundstrom
Lee
Tavares is the only top 6 center in that group at this point.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
LeHabsMan

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Ryder
XXX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - XXX
Prust - XXX - Moen
XXX

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - XXX
Emelin - Markov
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

This is an outline of what I think the roster should look like next season.

According to capgeek, they have about 11,000,000 left to spend. (Lets say they sign Ryder for around 4,5 million.)

-They need to trade Gionta and Desharnais get a 3rd liner in a trade. (maybe craig smith for cheap.)
-Sign someone like Clarkson or Clowe for Galchenyuk's wing.
-Sign a big defensive partner for Diaz. Maybe Regehr?
-Sign a 4th line centre and depth forward. Maybe Steckel or Lapierre and Bickell?

Thoughts?

Last edited by LeHabsMan: 04-23-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Bourque - Eller - XXX
Prust - XXX - Moen
XXX

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - XXX
Emelin - Markov
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

According to capgeek, they have about 11,000,000 left to spend. (Lets say they sign Ryder for around 4,5 million.)

-They need to trade Gionta and Desharnais get a 3rd liner in a trade. (maybe craig smith for cheap.)
-Sign a 4th line centre and depth forward. Maybe Steckel or Lapierre and Bickell?

Thoughts?
As I said on the big board, in my opinion, I doubt Ryder will be back next year. He's too old and he'll be looking for too long of a term. He fits okay on the team but there will be younger, cheaper, bigger options for the team to sign. Unless Gionta is traded to NJ, he'll stay with the Habs. Clarkson's a bum. Bickell is a 3rd line player and won't go to a team to play on the 4th line.

It seems Bergevin showed a lot of interest in Clowe during the deadline. Heard we were in the running, heard he grew a Habs fan, know he's from the East Coast. If we were to sign him for 4mil over 6 years or 4.5 over 4, I would do it. Little bit of an overpayment but that's what it takes to sign Free Agents. Bickell is plan B. If we were to sign Clowe, Stalberg would be the perfect complimentary piece to land as well. Big guy, very fast, would fit very well in our system, knows Bergevin.

I think reuniting O'Byrne with the Habs may not be the worst option. He's a decent defensive defenceman, better than Drewiskie and I'd rather him at #6 than Bouillon. He's young, he's big, he plays the style we're looking for.

Bergevin also attempted to acquire Sestito off waivers, perhaps he can be our extra forward.

I want Lapierre back.

There are tonnes of RFAs that I hope can be made available, unlikely though.

Desharnais will likely stay with the team but if he has a bad playoffs, I hope we can trade him. I'm willing to bet he has a better year next year. Trade him to move up in the draft or to improve a wing or defensive position.

So, in no particular order in terms of lines:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Clowe
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
Stalberg-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Lapierre-Prust
(Sestito)

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Markov-O'Byrne
(Bouillon)

Old
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Bourque - Eller - XXX
Prust - XXX - Moen
XXX

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - XXX
Emelin - Markov
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

Thoughts?
I don't see the point of sticking Galchenyuk as #2 center at 19. That goes against one of the things MB keeps saying about young players, he hates rushing them. That's why Drewiske and Weber are playing instaed of Beaulieu and Tinordi. Better to hold up your prospect and have them be ready to succees than rush them into a no win situation.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't see the point of sticking Galchenyuk as #2 center at 19. That goes against one of the things MB keeps saying about young players, he hates rushing them. That's why Drewiske and Weber are playing instaed of Beaulieu and Tinordi. Better to hold up your prospect and have them be ready to succees than rush them into a no win situation.
I think a 3rd overall pick can play more than 12 minutes a night in his 2nd season. If its not working change the lines but he deserves a shot.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
As I said on the big board, in my opinion, I doubt Ryder will be back next year. He's too old and he'll be looking for too long of a term. He fits okay on the team but there will be younger, cheaper, bigger options for the team to sign. Unless Gionta is traded to NJ, he'll stay with the Habs. Clarkson's a bum. Bickell is a 3rd line player and won't go to a team to play on the 4th line.

It seems Bergevin showed a lot of interest in Clowe during the deadline. Heard we were in the running, heard he grew a Habs fan, know he's from the East Coast. If we were to sign him for 4mil over 6 years or 4.5 over 4, I would do it. Little bit of an overpayment but that's what it takes to sign Free Agents. Bickell is plan B. If we were to sign Clowe, Stalberg would be the perfect complimentary piece to land as well. Big guy, very fast, would fit very well in our system, knows Bergevin.

I think reuniting O'Byrne with the Habs may not be the worst option. He's a decent defensive defenceman, better than Drewiskie and I'd rather him at #6 than Bouillon. He's young, he's big, he plays the style we're looking for.

Bergevin also attempted to acquire Sestito off waivers, perhaps he can be our extra forward.

I want Lapierre back.

There are tonnes of RFAs that I hope can be made available, unlikely though.

Desharnais will likely stay with the team but if he has a bad playoffs, I hope we can trade him. I'm willing to bet he has a better year next year. Trade him to move up in the draft or to improve a wing or defensive position.

So, in no particular order in terms of lines:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Clowe
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
Stalberg-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Lapierre-Prust
(Sestito)

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Markov-O'Byrne
(Bouillon)
Didnt think about Stalberg. I guess we have fairly similar thoughts on the team. I agree that Ryder may want a long term but if we can sign him for short I wouldnt hesitate.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think a 3rd overall pick can play more than 12 minutes a night in his 2nd season. If its not working change the lines but he deserves a shot.
You can move him up to 14-15 minutes next year.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Draft

Quote:
You can move him up to 14-15 minutes next year.
Galchenyuk-15min
Eller-16min
Plekanec-17min
Prust/Lapierre/4th line C-12min

I'd be happy with that.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Galchenyuk-15min
Eller-16min
Plekanec-17min
Prust/Lapierre/4th line C-12min

I'd be happy with that.
Who's Lapierre?

Old
04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Who's Lapierre?
Underrated, 6'2" hometown guy who played ferociously for us and got unceremoniously kicked out by an inept and thoughtless Jacques Martin.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Underrated, 6'2" hometown guy who played ferociously for us and got unceremoniously kicked out by an inept and thoughtless Jacques Martin.

"ferociously" LMAO

I can't see MB having any interest in "drama queen" Lapierre. He stands for everything MB doesn't want on his team. He's be a downgrade from Halpern.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Draft

Quote:

"ferociously" LMAO

I can't see MB having any interest in "drama queen" Lapierre. He stands for everything MB doesn't want on his team. He's be a downgrade from Halpern.
The guy's such a character. Bergevin is always looking for "character". He does seem to have toned it down a little in the past couple of years. He plays more physically than Halpern and likely brings more offence. A little bit younger too.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The guy's such a character. Bergevin is always looking for "character". He does seem to have toned it down a little in the past couple of years. He plays more physically than Halpern and likely brings more offence. A little bit younger too.
Wayyyy too high maintenance. I don't see MB going after depth guys that require mainteance. If you get high maintenance players they should at least be high end players, not 4th liners that need a kick in the pants every 7-10 days.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Dagistitsyn

Gorges + for Simmonds?

Old
04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Bourque - Eller - XXX
Prust - XXX - Moen
XXX

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - XXX
Emelin - Markov
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

Thoughts?
Good start but I would also move Markov and Boullion, if not in the off season they will have value at the trade deadline but it's a HUGE gamble that Markov would stay healthy.

if I could get a bag of pucks for Moen I'd take it... He's done... His desire is gone; he turns away from player scrubs now.

gorges is a 4th-5th Dman on a good team...we need a guy like Murray on D and hope Tinoridi is ready for some bottom pairing minutes to start with.

Our need is for 2 physical forwards with 15-20 goal ability (not easy to find)
One nasty Dman assuming Emelin comes back and Tinordi is ready.
One legit heavy weight to support Prust, because Moen and Armstrong have zero value in any facet of the game.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

For the record, Lapierre is doing a fantastic job here for the Canucks.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Tavares is the only top 6 center in that group at this point.
Isles best line has been the 2nd line of Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo. The isles rely on an aggressive forecheck. They aren't breaking up that 2nd line for DD and he's not helping improve the forecheck or D.

Snow has two recent 1st rounders, B. Nelson and Strome, knocking on the nhl door.
Isles seem content, waiting to see if one of those two don't push Nielsen down to the 3rd line.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
For the record, Lapierre is doing a fantastic job here for the Canucks.
Awesome to hear. I was always a big fan of his and think he's grown up enough to be able to fit in with the team. Haven't heard bad things from Canucks.

On the big board there's the Markov/Gionta/Desharnais thread. Couple of trades that were proposed and got okay reception.

Kristo + DD to the Sharks for Demers (RFA) + Tierney + Pittsburgh 2nd

as well as one I just threw out there now,

Markov + Moen + (Maybe a pick) to the Oilers for Paajarvi-Svenson (RFA)

Demers will be a very good two-way defenceman soon, San Jose has several high-profile defence prospects coming up through the system, making him expandable. He has decent size, can hit quite well, still young, from Quebec.

Edmonton has desperate need of vets and depth in their lineup, much speculation that Paajarvi is on his way out. I see him as a younger version of Stalberg that could end up being Bourque's replacement. Very good defensively, fast, can score, still young.

IF these were to go through, our lineup would look something like this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Paajarvi-Galchenyuk-XXX
XXX-Prust-XXX

Gorges-Subban
Diaz-Emelin
Demers-Bouillon
(XXX)

I think losing Markov for the PP would be very difficult to handle but hopefully with Diaz healthy and Demers contributing, it'd still stay afloat. I don't think anyone has a problem with trading Desharnais or Moen. Kristo will be a loss but we have several players in the same mould in our lineup and in our prospect pool. Another 2nd round pick and a pretty decent fwd prospect could hopefully fill Kristo's loss. I don't think it'll be too difficult to sign a 3rd liner, two 4ths and a 6th/7th dman.

What do you guys think?

Old
04-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Was about to post something like this, Draft. Few more additions I would make:

Weber 1st + 3rd (or late second) for Read + Talbot

This was brought up in the Flyers trade thread and something I feel with worth consideration. Read may be small but he brings a similar element of grit and feistiness we all adore Gallagher for. Likewise, he is a solid scorer (24/40). Simply put, he is an upgrade in every way on Gionta. We're likely not to draft a player of consequence that late in the draft and we have enough picks and prospects to make up the difference- get one back in the aforementioned Edmonton deal.

Talbot should speak for himself. We are far too reliant on Prust for any form of physicality and I feel in an eighty-two season, he will wear down - he is already. Teams are likely to target him in the future for this precise reason and Talbot would offset the load. A nice bonus is, like Prust, he can easily step into the third line and not miss a step should injuries be a concern.

Personally, I would then trade Bourque or Gionta and retain Ryder. The former had a spark to the early season, but I have little belief he can maintain that degree of consistency, even less now with the concussion. The latter he is more or less a one trick pony, who trick everyone's figured out.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Read
Paajarvi - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Gionta/Ryder
Prust - Talbot - XXX

Demers - Subban
Beaulieu - Emelin
Diaz - Gorges

or

Demers - Subban
Diaz - Emelin
Gorges - Tinordi

Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
LePoche69

The more I see the games, the more I'm convinced Habs will need to sacrifice a good young forward and a pick to get a good #1.5/#2 d-man.

Markov has dangerously slowed down. He looks like a pilon out there. If I was Bergevin, I would hope a team hadn't noticed and dream about Markov's PP ability to try to trade him for a first rounder.

I would target d-men like Seabrook, Yandle... I would be willing to trade Eller for those guys, switching Galchenyuk to center next year.

Of course, I would prefer to trade Deasharnais, but he doesn't have the same trade value.

The need for a #1.5/#2 complete d-man is important since no kid will be able to do this job for another 2-4 years.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Was about to post something like this, Draft. Few more additions I would make:

Weber 1st + 3rd (or late second) for Read + Talbot
You seriously want to trade Weber, a 1st and a 3rd for a 3rd liner and a 4th liner, both being under 6' and 200lbs?

That makes no sense on any level. Both guys are solid players, but no way in hell do I send Phillie a 1st rounder in any deal involving them unless one comes back.

The team is struggling, but let's not use a 2 week stretch as a reason to pull off Rejean Houle style trades.

Closed Thread