HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1960 Soviet National Team Olympic Planning

Old
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1960 Soviet National Team Olympic Planning

Brief article indicating Soviet National Team plans for the 1960 Winter Olympics:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6889%2C4813885

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Ya, thats an interesting Olympics', group of players really on all of the teams. The Russians, Canada, Swedes & Czech's were favoured, but Team USA seemingly came out of nowhere and won all 7 games to take the Gold, backstopped by the Jack McCartan. "The Forgotten Miracle" its referred to as, a company called Northland Films making a doc about in 2010 apparently, though I have yet to see it (maybe youtubes got it?). As a side-bar, Herb Brooks tried out for the Squaw Valley Team but didnt make the cut. Extra fire in the belly when motivating his troops in 1980 I should imagine... note in the article how the Russians are tactically changing direction, going with regular Defensive & Forward "Units" as opposed to a more man-on-man on-the-fly type approach to the game. Setting the tone rather than responding to it, though not quite "there" yet as here they won Bronze, Canada Silver (Harry Sinden was on that Canadian team as well). Might be interesting to list the players on Team USA, the Czech's etc, see where their careers took them thereafter.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Might be interesting to list the players on Team USA, the Czech's etc, see where their careers took them thereafter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc...inter_Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6OgbCP6EzU

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Well that looks like a must see film for sure. Brilliant!.... and ya, I did do a quick scan of the players on Team USA earlier, Tom Williams in particular sticking out as he went on to a lengthy career in Boston, Minnesota & so on, his career or rather I should say his life marred by tragedies, his wife committing suicide, his son dying at 23... not nice.... and Jack McCartan; lengthy career. Had played a handful of games for the Rangers circa 59-60, but most of it in the old EPHL, Central & WHL, re-surfacing in the WHA with the Minnesota Fighting Saints from 72-75, only really playing steadily during one season, 38 starts.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Canadiens1958

Australian National Team

1960 was the only Winter Olympics that saw Australia qualify. Must be a story behind that.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:30 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
1960 was the only Winter Olympics that saw Australia qualify. Must be a story behind that.
After the 60 Olympics, I met a guy who played on the Australian hockey team. He was also on the figure skating team. He came to Winnipeg and stayed for a while and did play a few games in the Manitoba Jr. League. I believe his name was Tim Spencer.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Canadiens1958

Manitoba Junior League

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
After the 60 Olympics, I met a guy who played on the Australian hockey team. He was also on the figure skating team. He came to Winnipeg and stayed for a while and did play a few games in the Manitoba Jr. League. I believe his name was Tim Spencer.
Manitoba Junior League seems to have a long, rich amd varied history with innovation and a bit of controversy thrown in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitob..._Hockey_League

Old
04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Manitoba Junior League seems to have a long, rich amd varied history with innovation and a bit of controversy thrown in:
I think that I may have contributed to the controversy part. February 14, 1960. Winnipeg Rangers vs Brandon Wheat Kings. 448 penalty minutes. Canadian Jr. record. It was originally reported as 436 minutes but they found 12 more minutes they had missed. I was the referee.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I think that I may have contributed to the controversy part. February 14, 1960. Winnipeg Rangers vs Brandon Wheat Kings. 448 penalty minutes. Canadian Jr. record. It was originally reported as 436 minutes but they found 12 more minutes they had missed. I was the referee.
Interesting. Then Id imagine you'd have gotten an ear & a face full of old Jake Milford huh? He mustve been goin apoplectic over that one. Head Coach of Brandon at that time if Im not mistaken. Went on to build a real powerhouse in Brandon, on to the NHL thereafter.... Jake was the guy Eddie Shore traded to wherever for a pair of Art Ross Nets he needed badly for the old Springfield Arena as your likely aware. Back in the day, Milford was offered try-outs I believe with New York & Montreal, but opted to go play in the UK instead. Upon his return, minors, then Coaching, LA etc. Wound up out here in Vancouver where he died quite suddenly in 1984 & much beloved.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:11 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting. Then Id imagine you'd have gotten an ear & a face full of old Jake Milford huh? He mustve been goin apoplectic over that one. Head Coach of Brandon at that time if Im not mistaken.
Jake wasn't like that. He was always a class act. It was a player from his team that started the game ending, to quote the press, "Riot."

Old
04-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I don't know too much about it. But it seems Australia along with Japan didn't have to go through a qualification process, they just got a free pass to participate. There was probably next to no-one else playing hockey between the Black Sea and the Pacific at that time (outside of the Soviet Union), so Australia and Japan basically had nobody to play against to qualify. The Australians had two Czechoslovak emigrants on their roster (Ivo Veselý and Zdeněk 'Steve' Tikal, brother of František Tikal), maybe their presence in Australia inspired a little hockey boom there and the 1960 attempt at the Olympics? Afterwards Australia dropped out of international hockey, reappeared in the IIHF B-Group (second tier) in 1962 and then disappeared until the 1970s.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Canadiens1958

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I don't know too much about it. But it seems Australia along with Japan didn't have to go through a qualification process, they just got a free pass to participate. There was probably next to no-one else playing hockey between the Black Sea and the Pacific at that time (outside of the Soviet Union), so Australia and Japan basically had nobody to play against to qualify. The Australians had two Czechoslovak emigrants on their roster (Ivo Veselý and Zdeněk 'Steve' Tikal, brother of František Tikal), maybe their presence in Australia inspired a little hockey boom there and the 1960 attempt at the Olympics? Afterwards Australia dropped out of international hockey, reappeared in the IIHF B-Group (second tier) in 1962 and then disappeared until the 1970s.
Australia enjoyed a sports boom after hosting the 1956 Summer Games. and benefiting from the resulting facilities.

1962 WHC saw a boycott led by the Soviets and Czechs along with the exclusion of the East Germans open 3 spots in Pool B for non traditional countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Wo..._Championships