HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
looking at #4 and barkov now... that's unless we win another game..
SCStats has us at 75% chance of top 3 if we lose the final two games.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
SCStats has us at 75% chance of top 3 if we lose the final two games.
now I'm praying for a lottery win

Old
04-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
We can still end up in 3rd at this point. Tampa need to win against Florida and that is likely and then get another point against Boston or Toronto. The sad thing to me is the loss last night has put us in a position that even a single point will drop us down a good bit.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Bizzaro scenario:

1. Florida
2. Colorado
3. Tampa
4/5. Preds

Florida takes their franchise D in Seth. Colorado doesn't need another C, so they go Drouin. Tampa is on the clock, and Mackinnon is still on the board. They already have Stammer and Vinny, but desperately need defense. Do they reach for someone or try to trade back?

I would do Blum+#4/5 for #3+3rd

Old
04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Bizzaro scenario:

1. Florida
2. Colorado
3. Tampa
4/5. Preds

Florida takes their franchise D in Seth. Colorado doesn't need another C, so they go Drouin. Tampa is on the clock, and Mackinnon is still on the board. They already have Stammer and Vinny, but desperately need defense. Do they reach for someone or try to trade back?

They would take Mack in a second. Vinny is getting old and they need to replace him. No chance they would trade that pick away.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
They would take Mack in a second. Vinny is getting old and they need to replace him. No chance they would trade that pick away.
I'm not so sure. I agree they need to replace Vinny eventually, but at this point, they would have either Mac or Vinny as a #3C. Seems like a waste of assets to me. They would be better off IMO taking (that Russian whose name I can't spell) or someone like Nurse later and picking up an asset like Blum.

I could be wrong, of course, just seems like a top 6 center is the one thing that team doesn't need. They literally could use players at every position except that.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bizzaro scenario:

1. Florida
2. Colorado
3. Tampa
4/5. Preds

they will ask for more than Blum but youre right that is a feasible scenario.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
they will ask for more than Blum but youre right that is a feasible scenario.
Of course, the lottery can change things a lot.

If COL wins:

1. COL - Jones
2. FLA - Mac
3. TBL - Drouin

All easy picks

If TBL wins:

1. TBL - Jones
2. FLA - Mac
3. COL - Drouin

Again, all easy picks that fit their needs. This scenario only works if FLA wins the lottery. Still too many possibilities to really get a good idea.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:05 AM
maplepred

Trade the farm to get Mack!!

Old
04-24-2013, 09:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trotz said something this morning that almost made it sound like they would consider trading the pick for more immediate help.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Trotz said something this morning that almost made it sound like they would consider trading the pick for more immediate help.
This is the third time this morning I will use this image:

If we're in the top 5, I say you draft and roll with it. I have the patience.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:35 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
sounds like jobs could be on the hot seat. Hopefully we dont pull a brian burke with our possible lottery pick...

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
This is the third time this morning I will use this image:

If we're in the top 5, I say you draft and roll with it. I have the patience.
disagree. if we are in the top 3 and can get the sure fire guy (Mac or Drouin) then keep it, but below those two its likely gonna be a couple of years before they contribute.... and we actually can be good again next year of we plug a couple of holes.... if we can get a young scoring wing from a team, thats just as good.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Oh god, I hope not. Why can't we just draft and develop a top 5 pick, it'll be our first in years.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Oh god, I hope not. Why can't we just draft and develop a top 5 pick, it'll be our first in years.
exactly, sometimes I don't get this organization ... we really aren't as close as people will have us believe & if you add a Mackinnon/Drouin to this team ... it would help improve this team's talent/skill overall ... the fact that we won so many games early on in our existence really has put us behind the 8-ball

Old
04-24-2013, 11:48 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Considering trading your pick, which would almost certainly have to happen after the lottery short of a team making an offer Poile cannot turn down before the lottery, is perfectly acceptable. There are very few times a GM should simply shut the door on the possibility trading an asset. I would content the only untouchable asset Poile has at the moment is Shea Weber, and that is somewhat because Weber is essentially untradeable (i.e. the return for Weber would certainly not be sufficient to make up for his value to the club in terms of talent and finances).

Consider trading it. See what return we could get. If the return isn't good enough, keep it and go forward.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'm not so sure. I agree they need to replace Vinny eventually, but at this point, they would have either Mac or Vinny as a #3C. Seems like a waste of assets to me. They would be better off IMO taking (that Russian whose name I can't spell) or someone like Nurse later and picking up an asset like Blum.

I could be wrong, of course, just seems like a top 6 center is the one thing that team doesn't need. They literally could use players at every position except that.
This assumes that teams are drafting off need, rather than Best Player Available, which may be faulty reasoning. Though it's pretty common to see top picks making the jump immediately to the NHL at this point, organizational needs can often drastically fluctuate between when a player is drafted and when they begin to start achieving their potential. Most GMs simply prefer to choose the most talented player with the highest ceiling, regardless of position. Roster holes can be met through other means, while talent and potential are less easy to come by. If MacKinnon drops, it is purely due to 3-4 teams believing that there are players better than him in the draft.

By this same reasoning, if Seth Jones is undoubtedly the best player on the board when we pick, he should be our pick.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:53 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
That Calgary team they iced tonight would give any Oiler team a run for the tanking crown.
I was drawing a distinction between CALG openly mocking any semblance of competitiveness by actually throwing their games and EDM, which at least puts some effort toward looking to win by rolling their "best" lineup. Bettman ought to fine CALG for that mess.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
predwings

That shallow meaningless win last night cost us the possible number 2 pick in the draft. Had we lost every game Tampa and FLA would've played each other in the finale. If Tampa with +2 points would've put us 1 point below them. Now, we not only aren't 2-3rd we are 4th and there is almost no way we fall below 4th but there is a good possibility if we pick-up even a point we move up to 6th.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
That shallow meaningless win last night cost us the possible number 2 pick in the draft. Had we lost every game Tampa and FLA would've played each other in the finale. If Tampa with +2 points would've put us 1 point below them. Now, we not only aren't 2-3rd we are 4th and there is almost no way we fall below 4th but there is a good possibility if we pick-up even a point we move up to 6th.
As it stands right now. The worst we can pick is 7th and the best is 2nd (baring winning the lottery). If we can lose the next 2 I think we have a decent shot at picking 3rd and a very long shot at picking 2nd. Hopefully Tampa can pull out 3 point in their next 3 games. Tonight will be their first shot and lets hope they win.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
KnoxPred

FWIW mynhldraft.com has us at 4th picking.......Nichushkin

Old
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxPred View Post
FWIW mynhldraft.com has us at 4th picking.......Nichushkin
He supposedly is the 3rd most talented forward...

Still, no thanks. We need a C.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
maplepred

Calgary iced an inferior roster last night?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Several years ago, the LA Kings won a meaningless last game of the year, slipping from the #1 pick to the #2 pick. Instead of drafting Steven Stamkos, they had to merely settle for Drew Doughty. Now nobody will argue against having a talent like Stamkos, but one could make the argument that without Doughty, the Kings do not win a Stanley Cup last season.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Several years ago, the LA Kings won a meaningless last game of the year, slipping from the #1 pick to the #2 pick. Instead of drafting Steven Stamkos, they had to merely settle for Drew Doughty. Now nobody will argue against having a talent like Stamkos, but one could make the argument that without Doughty, the Kings do not win a Stanley Cup last season.
With the lottery this year, the worst team only has a 20% chance of getting the first overall pick.

Closed Thread