HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Active/Changes/Realistic?

Old
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think one thing we all agree on is, SK needs to go.
I don't agree with that but that's just me.

Say we are able to pick up someone good in the draft, let's just say Mac for fun, let's build a roster for next year and put him in the lineup.

Mac/Forsberg/Wilson
Legwand/Beck/Bourque
Fisher/SK/Hornqvist
Spaling/Yip/Clune

That's not horrendous by any means. That's a solid top 9. We don't have the redundant bottom 6 we normally have. We have guys playing pretty much on lines they should be. Is there anyone that I've left out that would be better than SK on the third line? This doesn't even equate Smith, Gaustad Halischuk, Butler or some other guys into the equation.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Do you think he's top 4 material?
He's 29 and has lots of experience. In SEL he plays top pair, and was captain for Modo. Still playing top minutes for his current team.

Not sure here, but I'll be surprised if he signs a 'bottom line deal'.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:37 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

So wait, the Preds have a problem with redundancy and need to add size/grit to its bottom six?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
I don't agree with that but that's just me.

Say we are able to pick up someone good in the draft, let's just say Mac for fun, let's build a roster for next year and put him in the lineup.

Mac/Forsberg/Wilson
Legwand/Beck/Bourque
Fisher/SK/Hornqvist
Spaling/Yip/Clune

That's not horrendous by any means. That's a solid top 9. We don't have the redundant bottom 6 we normally have. We have guys playing pretty much on lines they should be. Is there anyone that I've left out that would be better than SK on the third line? This doesn't even equate Smith, Gaustad Halischuk, Butler or some other guys into the equation.
You can't win with a 18 and 19 year old on your top line imo no matter how good of prospects they are. I would be ok with them being on the second line if they prove they can handle it but top line duty is rough on young kids. Just ask Edmonton.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
You can't win with a 18 and 19 year old on your top line imo no matter how good of prospects they are. I would be ok with them being on the second line if they prove they can handle it but top line duty is rough on young kids. Just ask Edmonton.
So you dole out the time evenly with the three top lines. It's not like I'm saying, hey, FF/Mac/Wilson are the number 1 line but you give them minutes like the other two lines. Heck, you can even mix them in with some vets and see if you can get some upper end talent on all three lines. We have enough vets to make that happen.

All I was just trying to point out was that SK is still a valuable piece in a top 9 role.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
So you dole out the time evenly with the three top lines. It's not like I'm saying, hey, FF/Mac/Wilson are the number 1 line but you give them minutes like the other two lines. Heck, you can even mix them in with some vets and see if you can get some upper end talent on all three lines. We have enough vets to make that happen.

All I was just trying to point out was that SK is still a valuable piece in a top 9 role.
I agree that he has value as a top 9 player. I don't agree that he is worth the 3 mil a year he is making while playing in a 3rd line role. I would much rather trade him for a pick or a prospect and look to sign a player in the offseason like Horton, Fillpula, Stalberg, or Raymond. There are others as well that I would rather see the Predators spend that money on.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Asking me about SK is like asking Byrddog about Smith, I'm just not a fan.

To me he's too lazy for the NHL.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
We have tiebreaker on TB, and they have more games remaining than us...I do think they'll win one or two, Bishop's been playing well.

I'm just saying, in all likelihood, if we lose out...we finish third, regardless of what Colorado does.
Either which way, I'll be happy as a pig in **** with any of the 3.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Here's what my spreadsheet looks like, I'm not thinking lines but pools of talent. We NEVER will see fully constructed lines so think pools of talent.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
PFL615

If Fisher is our #1 center and SK, Halischuck, Spaling, and Yip are still on the team we really did not accomplish anything in the offseason.

Open -Wilson-Open

Open -Fisher-Flipper

Borkie-Legwand-Beck

Clune-Goose-Open

IMO we have Four spots to fill in the offseason. Wildcard is Leggy is moved and Watson takes 3rd line center.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 AM
AintLifeGrand

I think Butler deserves to be on the team next year. During his tenure with Nashville, he is playing at .5 ppg. I think he can at least blossom into a 50pt second line guy...

Right now I'm thinking Butler>>>> Craig Smith.

I think we are going to pick 4/5/6 and get Lindholm which is awesome IMO.. Forsberg will appreciate it and both him and Lindholm will thrive playing together.

I think we trade Smith+Blum/Ellis+additional prospect to CBJ for the LA Kings Pick, with it we select Petan.

Next year

wilson-fisher-Beck
Butler-Lindholm-Hornqvist
Bourque-Legwand-Forsberg
Clune-Goose-Halischuk
Spaling

in 3 years

Wilson-Lindholm-Forsberg
Butler-Petan-Leipsic
Bourque-Watson-Hornqvist
Arberg-Fisher-Budish

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:11 AM
NoNecksCurse

wtf am i missing? smith+ellis/blum+another prospect for a mid 1st?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 04-24-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: no
NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Would a deal like this interest you guys

To
Nashville
Grabovski with 1.5 million retained salary (4m per)
3rd in 2013

Toronto
Austin watson
2013 2nd

Nashville gets a gifted scorer who plays tough and has a good two way game and toronto gets a big young talented prospect with high potential. Let me know what you guys think.

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:24 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post

To
Nashville
3rd in 2013

Toronto
Austin watson
2013 2nd

Nashville gets a gifted scorer who plays tough and has a good two way game and toronto gets a big young talented prospect with high potential. Let me know what you guys think.
No interest. Thanks. Saw Watson score his first goal last night and he had a pretty nice wrister. I think we hold on to him for a while and watch him develop.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I want no part of Grabovski. I'm sick of the tweeners already.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I actually would like to add Grabo at the right price. He isn't the solution, but adding another 20 goal type guy never hurt. He has to come cheap though.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:08 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I actually would like to add Grabo at the right price. He isn't the solution, but adding another 20 goal type guy never hurt. He has to come cheap though.
he makes 5.5 M a year.

No thanks.

Trotz said on CwC this morning that while certain players have "made cases" for a roster spot next season, he wouldn't say that anyone has made such a case that they'll be pencilled in. He said Taylor Beck is probably the closest, but he used Craig Smith as an example of why you can't get too excited by what a guy does when he first comes into the lineup.

He said that they're going to try to fill holes via FA and trade this summer, and whatever spots they have leftover will be up for grabs.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post

To
Nashville
3rd in 2013

Toronto
Austin watson
2013 2nd

we dont have a 2nd rounder this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
he makes 5.5 M a year.

No thanks.

Trotz said on CwC this morning that while certain players have "made cases" for a roster spot next season, he wouldn't say that anyone has made such a case that they'll be pencilled in. He said Taylor Beck is probably the closest, but he used Craig Smith as an example of why you can't get too excited by what a guy does when he first comes into the lineup.

He said that they're going to try to fill holes via FA and trade this summer, and whatever spots they have leftover will be up for grabs.
Im really glad to hear that. This is the first summer that Poile has had MAJOR work that needs doing. In the past when we would get frustrated with Poile being relatively inactive it was justifiable because we were pretty good and just needed to keep progressing toward competitiveness. Small moves and preserving assests was acceptable. This is the first time in the history of the team that we are dramatically worse than we had been the preceeding season. Im expecting multiple moves.

Last edited by PredsV82: 04-24-2013 at 09:35 AM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
PFL615

Hope people are seeing through this sudden surge by Spaling and Halischuck. Same old story with those two.
They are busting it basically as a tryout for another team. (I hope)

I agree Butler deserves a shot he has more talent, faster, and has a better shot than Yip, Hali, Spaling, and could replace 1 of them as an upgrade.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Maybe that's why OKT will be a part of this team next season, a top 4 d-man..

IF he's improved as much as everyone says he'll be a very good BOTTOM PAIRING defenseman.

If he manages to be top-4 - without having lost the so-called "toughness" (read: enforcer capability) that keeps folks blind to his faults - I will be shocked beyond measure.

About the only way I see that even slightly working is if, by some miracle, he and Klein discover enough chemistry to win a Nobel Prize. And that it's a genuine partnership rather than Klein covering for OKT's faults.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Hope people are seeing through this sudden surge by Spaling and Halischuck. Same old story with those two.

I agree Butler deserves a shot he has more talent, faster, and has a better shot than Yip, Hali, Spaling, and could replace 1 of them as an upgrade.
Disagree with Butler versus Spaling. Spaling's shot is far better and he brings more to the table on special teams.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
we dont have a 2nd rounder this year.

Im really glad to hear that. This is the first summer that Poile has had MAJOR work that needs doing. In the past when we would get frustrated with Poile being relatively inactive it was justifiable because we were pretty good and just needed to keep progressing toward competitiveness. Small moves and preserving assests was acceptable. This is the first time in the history of the team that we are dramatically worse than we had been the preceeding season. Im expecting multiple moves.
It'll have to be via trades because free agency seems to be a barren landscape of aging talent on the decline. Not sure who's available out there via trade but I hope Poile can fill some of the holes we currently have.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:36 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Ok hon. The last time a fan from another team came in and railed on a Preds acquisition, I made a bet with said person and they made a clown of themselves, literally.

I know how much you HATE clowns so I say this. Wanna make a bet?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post

Spaling is a very good bottom 6 and penalty killer, can take draws, and will chip in occasional offense. Halischuk is simply a bottom 6 grinder type who is very effective when he plays with the right energy. What's to see through? I don't think there's illusions that either of these guys will be anchoring our first line.

Butler is a top 6 guy who has not been consistent enough to justify top 6 minutes with any of the 3 teams he's played for, and is not nearly complete enough in a bottom 6 role to count on him, especially over a guy like Spaling.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Spaling and Halischuk are great bottom six players. I doubt they ever develop into second line options, but I think they can both be quality 3rd liners.

Halischuk just needs to remember he is best suited skating hard and playing tough. He got in trouble when he tried to be a skilled player.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote