HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 08:56 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

vCash: 500
What's weird is that my friends in other CFL cities like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Calgary all LOVE the name. They think it sounds classic and original.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Larionov

Another thought - bring Tim Tebow here as the QB for 2014 (not outside the realm of possibility), and no one will care about the name. They'll sell out in a flash...

Old
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

I would still prefer they stick an & in there but I don't hate it.

Tebow would be incredible for the city.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:02 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Teams combine existing words all the time. See the Carolina RailHawks, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, the Evansville IceMen, the Fayetteville FireAntz, the Mississippi RiverKings.
Those are all terrible, terrible names.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Another thought - bring Tim Tebow here as the QB for 2014 (not outside the realm of possibility), and no one will care about the name. They'll sell out in a flash...
I doubt Tebow would ever play CFL football... half because he's hell-bent on being an NFL player, and half because in a 3-down "throwing league" like ours, a run-first garbage-armed QB like Tebow would be the worst CFL move since "Mardi Gras Night + beer = fun for the whole family!".

Probably would be a good marketing move... until week 5, when everyone has had enough of the usual "Tebow run for 4 yards / incomplete pass / punt" offensive outputs.

Tebow barely works in the NFL because they have 4 downs, and you can run the ball 70% of the game if you want to. A 3-down league would destroy him.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I doubt Tebow would ever play CFL football... half because he's hell-bent on being an NFL player, and half because in a 3-down "throwing league" like ours, a run-first garbage-armed QB like Tebow would be the worst CFL move since "Mardi Gras Night + beer = fun for the whole family!".

Probably would be a good marketing move... until week 5, when everyone has had enough of the usual "Tebow run for 4 yards / incomplete pass / punt" offensive outputs.

Tebow barely works in the NFL because they have 4 downs, and you can run the ball 70% of the game if you want to. A 3-down league would destroy him.
It's also quite the adjustment for a guy whose completion percentage is already atrocious to adjust to the Canadian style. Basically everything you learn about being a QB in the States goes right out the door.

It would be a mistake to think he would excel immediately but if he's actually willing to come up here and everyone is patient with him for the first year or two, I could see him making a nice career in Canada. The hype machine would be tremendous though.

edit: also MTL still has his negotiating rights

Old
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
cdavis*

You guys are all talking about football like it's the sens' offseason. There is still hockey you know, this is a hockey forum. I can forward you all to some CFL forums if you'd like.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis View Post
You guys are all talking about football like it's the sens' offseason. There is still hockey you know, this is a hockey forum. I can forward you all to some CFL forums if you'd like.
Who wants to be the one to tell him what "OT" in the thread title means?

Old
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Charliebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Teams combine existing words all the time. See the Carolina RailHawks, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, the Evansville IceMen, the Fayetteville FireAntz, the Mississippi RiverKings.
Those are all MINOR league teams though. The CFL is supposed to be the best league with these rules. Minor league sports teams have weird names almost on purpose.

As for Tebow... the guy can't throw a small NFL ball.. what makes anyone think he'll be able to throw the big CFL ball.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

OT = OFF TOPIC

No hockey in ze CFL Proposal thread.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Love the name RedBlacks.

I hope it offends everyone!!

Old
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
lafite

Quote:
That would also give us the team name "The Rollers", meeting the all important "R" on the helmet criteria.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
That would also give us the team name "The Rollers", meeting the all important "R" on the helmet criteria.
As in Holy Rollers? I see what you did there - you have to wake up pretty early to fool me!

Personally, I think Tebow gets a bad rap because of the media circus that accompanies him. This guy's athleticism is off the charts, and we forget that there have been plenty of QBs come through the CFL who had less than beautiful throwing mechanics, and did just fine. It sure would be a fun experiment to watch...

Old
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
As in Holy Rollers? I see what you did there - you have to wake up pretty early to fool me!

Personally, I think Tebow gets a bad rap because of the media circus that accompanies him. This guy's athleticism is off the charts, and we forget that there have been plenty of QBs come through the CFL who had less than beautiful throwing mechanics, and did just fine. It sure would be a fun experiment to watch...
Personally, I think Tebow gets a bad rap because he is an awful QB with fatal flaws in even the simplest of QB skills: arm strength, arm quickness, accuracy, and he just does not think the game well enough to be a true QB. He's a runner who can barely throw. A GREAT runner who can barely throw? yes. But we're talking about a guy who once had an "over under" betting line of "number of complete passes" set at 10, and he failed to complete even that.

I agree about his athleticism, though: the guy is a freak. I think he could have had a HELL of a career if he had made the switch to the backfield, or even to TE. He could have been a combo threat. Can't fault the guy for taking the money and trying his best at QB, but long-term, his career would be far better off had he made the position switch.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
You mean like 67's ?
No not at all because 67 in itself is a number and 1967 is a year in which they were formed which is fairly common knowledge however a Redblack does not exist anywehre i know of

Old
04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Wait, we're getting a 2nd CFL team? Where are they going to play? Are they going to share Landsdowne with the Renegades?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy on the Road View Post
Wait, we're getting a 2nd CFL team? Where are they going to play? Are they going to share Landsdowne with the Renegades?
Sens are folding and Scotiabank will be converted...

Old
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
What's weird is that my friends in other CFL cities like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Calgary all LOVE the name. They think it sounds classic and original.
I agree with them, like the RedBlacks since they cant be the RedGreens.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I don't care what we are called at this stage as long as win. I can't wait to get back to the park. RedBlacks? Growing on me...

Old
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I don't care what we are called at this stage as long as win. I can't wait to get back to the park. RedBlacks? Growing on me...
Yeah same..

Old
04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Can someone explain to me what a Tiger-Cat is?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
ti·ger cat
Noun
A small forest cat (Felis tigrina) that has a light brown coat with dark stripes and blotches, native to Central and South America.
Any moderate-sized striped cat, such as the ocelot, serval, or margay.
Synonyms
wildcat - bobcat

04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Thank you. That was killing me.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
That's at least the product of two teams merging.

Oh well, if they're going with Redblacks, it will give me something to make fun of. I'll probably adopt them as a second favourite team, but they've hardly done anything to try to win me over... not that that would have been at all easy...

Old
04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Oskie Weewee, oskie wowow, come on Tigercats eat em raw ....

Closed Thread