HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Visiting Ottawa and CTC

Old
03-05-2013, 07:22 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmasia View Post
Hi guys.

Making my first trip to SBP on 28 March for the Rangers game.

Staying just the one night, arriving by plane at noon, and taking Via rail to Montreal Friday for the weekend.

I think I have a ticket in 211, front row, and from what I gather, that's a great seat.

If I want to have some bar / pub fun after the game, I'm assuming I should stay downtown, which is also closer to the train station.

Someone here suggested Hotel Indigo on Metcalfe.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance. First beer is on me!

cheers,
cmasia
211 is right on the corner of the visitor's side. You're basically at the goal line, and first row-200 level are my favorite seats. You'll have a great view.

Remember that the arena is FAR from downtown... try to find a restaurant that offers shuttle service to-and-from the game. It offers the best value. You could take the 400-series bus, but they get full very quickly.

As for drinking post-game, there isn't much to do around the arena except for a few cookie-cutter bars about 5 mins away. Some like 'em, some don't. They're nothing special. If it were me, I'd take the shuttle back to the downtown core and have some drinks then.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:29 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCheese65 View Post
What's up guys, I'm heading to ottawa on april 20th for the game against the leafs and I'm wondering if I can get into SBP before the game to see the morning skate. Does anyone know If it's open to the public. Also does anyone know where the best place to go to try and get an autograph would be?
Morning skates are usually closed to the public unless stated otherwise.

Best place for autographs around the arena is at the loading dock at the back after the game. You're technically "not allowed" back there, but the security guards are pretty good about letting you hang out for autographs as long as you don't act like a douchecanoe and try to get into the actual loading area/ player parking lot. Some players will stop for autographs post-game, others won't. It's hit-or-miss.

As a rule of thumb, visiting players usually don't sign. Some Sens players will sign all the time. If you are looking for autographs of visiting players, and they just lost the game, 9.9 times out of 10 they won't stop and sign anything due to being in a bad mood.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
cmasia
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
211 is right on the corner of the visitor's side. You're basically at the goal line, and first row-200 level are my favorite seats. You'll have a great view.
Hi B T.
Thanks for the comments.

in SBP, 211 - Row A is the front row, yes?

I ask, because at Bell Centre, in the 100 and 300 sections, Row A is Row 7 after AA to FF. The front row in the 200 section - Club Desjardins - at BC does begin with row A.

Cheers,
cmasia.

PS: It's looking like the Hotel Indigo on Metcalfe downtown. I like the restaurant shuttle bus idea and I'll have a lot of the afternoon to find one!

cmasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Hi B T.
Thanks for the comments.

in SBP, 211 - Row A is the front row, yes?

I ask, because at Bell Centre, in the 100 and 300 sections, Row A is Row 7 after AA to FF. The front row in the 200 section - Club Desjardins - at BC does begin with row A.

Cheers,
cmasia.

PS: It's looking like the Hotel Indigo on Metcalfe downtown. I like the restaurant shuttle bus idea and I'll have a lot of the afternoon to find one!
Row A is in fact the first row. I never understood the "AA" crap at the Bell Centre.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Sudz

I'm going to the game Monday night against the bruins,and I'm looking for somewhere to grab some nachos and a beer after the game in Kanata. I noticed that a lot of restaurants close at 10:00 on week nights, any suggestions for places that will be open? Do places that normally close at 10 stay open later on game nights?

Sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:12 PM
cmasia
Rookie User

Guys, thanks for the help.

Scored a single ticket directly from the Sens office for the Rangers game on March 28.

Section 207, Row A, Seat 5. I'm stoked.

Staying at either the Hotel Indigo or The Novotel downtown. Haven't decided yet.

Already booked a seat of the shuttle from Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin for $10.
D'Arcy McGee's no longer offers a shuttle.

Then Friday, it's the train to Montreal for the Saturday Habs game v Rangers and the Monday game v Hurricanes!

Can't wait... and thanks again for the help!

Cheers,
cmasia

Old
03-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
I'm going to the game Monday night against the bruins,and I'm looking for somewhere to grab some nachos and a beer after the game in Kanata. I noticed that a lot of restaurants close at 10:00 on week nights, any suggestions for places that will be open? Do places that normally close at 10 stay open later on game nights?
Most of the pubs should be open. Boston pizza will definitely be open.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Guys, thanks for the help.

Scored a single ticket directly from the Sens office for the Rangers game on March 28.

Section 207, Row A, Seat 5. I'm stoked.

Staying at either the Hotel Indigo or The Novotel downtown. Haven't decided yet.

Already booked a seat of the shuttle from Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin for $10.
D'Arcy McGee's no longer offers a shuttle.

Then Friday, it's the train to Montreal for the Saturday Habs game v Rangers and the Monday game v Hurricanes!

Can't wait... and thanks again for the help!

Cheers,
cmasia
Sounds like fun, have a blast!

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Hey guys so I'm going to be in Ottawa for the first time on the 22nd and 23rd of April visiting a friend. I've already purchased tickets to the Senators-Penguins game (Section 308 row O so they seem pretty decent) and plan on visiting Parliament Hill and probably the Rideau Canal as well as parts of Gatineau. Is there anything specific you guys would recommend? Any specific sights or places I should go?

If it helps, I'm a 19 year old guy visiting my friend who goes to UOttawa.

Thanks a lot

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Ror84

Flying in on April 19 from Saskatchewan for the April 20 tilt vs the Leafs. Myself and 3 friends got club seats. Hoping for a good time. Not sure what to do Friday night and Saturday before the game. We are staying at Brookstreet because it said it was close to the rink, that type of hotel wouldn't have been my first choice otherwise but oh well! Don't plan on spending too much time in the hotel if you know what I mean...

Can anybody tell me what the best bars are in the area? Willing to taxi around to something if its worth going to as well! What part of town is Chris Philips Big Rig!?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Ror84: 03-16-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Ror84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:39 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ror84 View Post
Flying in on April 19 from Saskatchewan for the April 20 tilt vs the Leafs. Myself and 3 friends got club seats. Hoping for a good time. Not sure what to do Friday night and Saturday before the game. We are staying at Brookstreet because it said it was close to the rink, that type of hotel wouldn't have been my first choice otherwise but oh well! Don't plan on spending too much time in the hotel if you know what I mean...

Can anybody tell me what the best bars are in the area? Willing to taxi around to something if its worth going to as well! What part of town is Chris Philips Big Rig!?

Thanks guys.
Hate to burst your bubble a bit, chum, but the advantage of staying at the Brookstreet (it's close to the arena) is the disadvantage of the arena itself (the arena is hella-far from the city center). The Brookstreet is also the Player's hotel though, most visiting teams stay there, so there's a chance you might run into some Maple Leafs in the hotel bar, haha.

Avoid taking a taxi anywhere. I mean, sure, you could do that, but it's probably a $50 ride just to get to Big Rig from Brookstreet, let alone downtown (Big Rig is next to the IKEA, the 97 bus should get you there, if I can remember correctly). A cab ride downtown might cost you $70+ (Taxi's in Ottawa ain't cheap) The bus is your friend, you can take a bus to Fallowfield Station, and from there the 97 should at least connect you to the rest of the city.

The Brookstreet itself, while being a gorgeous hotel, is in the middle of nowhere. Not very conducive to seeing the rest of the city. Nice golf course though, if you want to play a round.

There aren't really that many great bars in the vicinity of the Brookstreet, off the top of my head. The hotel is really stuck right n the middle of suburbia, so you're going to have a few neighborhood pubs, but nothing that really screams "night life". If you're really hell-bent on soaking up the nightlife, I might almost suggest changing hotels. Stay somewhere downtown, and take one of the restaurant shuttles to the game. The major difference is that the Brookstreet is 5 mins from the arena, and staying downtown means you'll have an hour commute to and from SBP, at least.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:22 PM
RingWraith

Visiting Eastern Canada

Hello all. In June I will be venturing to Eastern Canada for the first time since a one week stay in Ottawa 11 years ago. We'll be driving and hitting up Toronto and Montreal as the focus of our trip with day trips planned to Niagara Falls, Ottawa and Quebec city respectively. Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of time, so I think we'll only be in each major city for 2 or 3 days. Will probably hit up a Blue Jays game, the HHOF, and Canada's Wonderland in Toronto. I have general admission tickets to the Grand Prix in Montreal on June 9th. But I'm looking for other suggestions of things to do and see during our brief visits. Looking for intensive, very "Toronto", "Ottawa", and "Montreal" type experiences.

Unfortunately the Maple Leafs boards have been beyond useless. The moderators just stuff any and all inquiries in to the Lounge thread which is flooded with idle banter and buries any serious posts. Misguided and pathetic. The Canadiens boards seem oddly unresponsive. So I'm tossing it on here in hope. Any help will be majorly appreciated!

RingWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:59 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWraith View Post
Hello all. In June I will be venturing to Eastern Canada for the first time since a one week stay in Ottawa 11 years ago. We'll be driving and hitting up Toronto and Montreal as the focus of our trip with day trips planned to Niagara Falls, Ottawa and Quebec city respectively. Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of time, so I think we'll only be in each major city for 2 or 3 days. Will probably hit up a Blue Jays game, the HHOF, and Canada's Wonderland in Toronto. I have general admission tickets to the Grand Prix in Montreal on June 9th. But I'm looking for other suggestions of things to do and see during our brief visits. Looking for intensive, very "Toronto", "Ottawa", and "Montreal" type experiences.

Unfortunately the Maple Leafs boards have been beyond useless. The moderators just stuff any and all inquiries in to the Lounge thread which is flooded with idle banter and buries any serious posts. Misguided and pathetic. The Canadiens boards seem oddly unresponsive. So I'm tossing it on here in hope. Any help will be majorly appreciated!
Visiting the Parliament and the canal locks downtown. National Gallery, War Museum, Museum of Civilisation are all good places to visit and are typical Ottawa things to visit. Dinner in the downtown market is the best "touristic" place to eat dinner.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
RingWraith

Sounds like a solid day visit. Thanks, mate. I've been to the Gallery and Parliament Hill so I think I'd like to check out the Museum of Civilization this time around. For my travel mates seeing Parliament and Rideau Canal is pretty well a given.

RingWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
cmasia
Rookie User

Hey guys.
Even though my Rangers tanked last night, I had a blast.

Ended up staying at Hotel Indigo, and I highly recommend it. Nice room, decent amenities, free wifi, and a 6 - 8 minute walk to Lieutenant's Pump. $131 tax included.

Great crowd at the Pump before the game, and then about 80 of us got on an old school bus for the ride to SBP. Only 2 downsides of the bus:
1) Big pre-holiday traffic
2) No beer

The bus is $10 ( a steal! ), and from what I was able to learn it's the only bus from downtown.

It took about 50 minutes to get there but only 25 to get back.

Sat in 211, A, 5. Awesome, awsome seat. One of the best views I've ever had a game. Elevated but very, very close to the action.

It looks like there is not a bad seat in the house.

My only complaint about SBP is the inadequate concourse to handle the between period crowds for both the 200 and 300 section fans. Between periods 1 and 2, it took almost the entire 18 minutes to hit the head, then get a hot dog and a beer.
The concourse was not as crowded between periods 2 and 3.

After the game, I hung around some fun people back at the Pump.

Overall, a terrific experience.

Thanks again to those who posted comments and suggestions for me. Greatly appreciated.

I'm writing this from the Panorama Lounge a ViaRail, waiting for my train to Montreal.
Maybe my Rangers will show up Saturday night.

Cheers!

Old
04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
hlaverty06

Hey guys,

I'm visiting Ottawa tonight and was wondering where I could see the Devils vs Isles game and grab something to eat?

Thanks!

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm visiting Ottawa tonight and was wondering where I could see the Devils vs Isles game and grab something to eat?

Thanks!
What part of town are you in?

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
West part of the city I think, near Clarence and st Patrick street

Old
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
West part of the city I think, near Clarence and st Patrick street

Old
04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Hey guys.
Even though my Rangers tanked last night, I had a blast.

Ended up staying at Hotel Indigo, and I highly recommend it. Nice room, decent amenities, free wifi, and a 6 - 8 minute walk to Lieutenant's Pump. $131 tax included.

Great crowd at the Pump before the game, and then about 80 of us got on an old school bus for the ride to SBP. Only 2 downsides of the bus:
1) Big pre-holiday traffic
2) No beer

The bus is $10 ( a steal! ), and from what I was able to learn it's the only bus from downtown.

It took about 50 minutes to get there but only 25 to get back.

Sat in 211, A, 5. Awesome, awsome seat. One of the best views I've ever had a game. Elevated but very, very close to the action.

It looks like there is not a bad seat in the house.

My only complaint about SBP is the inadequate concourse to handle the between period crowds for both the 200 and 300 section fans. Between periods 1 and 2, it took almost the entire 18 minutes to hit the head, then get a hot dog and a beer.
The concourse was not as crowded between periods 2 and 3.

After the game, I hung around some fun people back at the Pump.

Overall, a terrific experience.

Thanks again to those who posted comments and suggestions for me. Greatly appreciated.

I'm writing this from the Panorama Lounge a ViaRail, waiting for my train to Montreal.
Maybe my Rangers will show up Saturday night.

Cheers!
Glad to hear you had a good time.

04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

I'll be at the Sens vs. Canes games on April 16th at SBP. My girlfriend and I will be sitting in section 219, row F. How are those seats? I payed 85$ each, which is face-value. I reckon we'll have a good view?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Yes. I sat front row in 219 for the Tampa game last weekend. Excellent view and hopefully you get lucky like me and see all of our goals down there.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Yes. I sat front row in 219 for the Tampa game last weekend. Excellent view and hopefully you get lucky like me and see all of our goals down there.
Thanks dude!

Another question.. I'm sitting in Row F. Is that closer or farther away from the ice?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
Thanks dude!

Another question.. I'm sitting in Row F. Is that closer or farther away from the ice?
Farther

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Driving up for the weekend so my gf can watch her Flyers finish the season in Ottawa.. Section 305, row B for the game.. Staying downtown at the Ottawa Jail Hostel Friday and Saturday nights

Devils are playing the Rangers at 3pm on NBC in the USA that afternoon, any idea of a good bar near the arena where I could catch my game before we head over to SBP? I'd prefer it to be close so that we can be parked at the arena by 6pm

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote