HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-24-2013, 03:18 AM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The East is suspect defensively. Few if any of the clubs there would advance in WC playoffs. Any of the Hawks, Kings, Preds, Nucks, Yotes, Sharks, would've been good enough to prevail against the EC finalist Devils last year. Who are curiously such a normal team that they couldn't make the playoffs in the same weak knee EC this year. Theres not much cream in the east, a lot of spoiled milk.
That is one of the most ignorant statements I have read here.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Some perspective for you guys:

'11-12 through 45 games (January 20th 2012)
17-24-4 38 points 120GF 128GA -8 goal differential

'12-13 through 45 games
17-21-7 41 points 111GF 127GA -16 goal differential

Now can someone/anyone tell me why Krueger should be retained as head coach? Same amount of wins, less GF, and a bigger negative goal differential.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 04-24-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Jesus H just ****ing fire the whole staff hire Ruff and let him pick his ******* staff. This organization needs to stop with this I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine mentality. Bucky and Smith have done absolutely nothing since being here. I don't give a **** that you all used to shower together get over it.
We've already lined their pockets an insane amount I'm sure of it, it's time to move one. Let Ruff or Babcock come in and bring their staff along, give Buchberger a different job if you have to keep him employed for whatever reason(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Ease up Reimer. It was a simple question from someone who does not follow the Sabres at all. All I have to go on are his stats.
Ruff IMO is a good coach, the problem with the Sabres the last 3-4 years have been similar to the Oilers, they have too many mini mites out there. Had the Sabres not had some horrible injury luck in '05-06 they would've been the team beating us for the cup IMO.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

'12-13 through 45 games

Now can someone/anyone tell me why Krueger should be retained as head coach? Same amount of wins, less GF, more GA, bigger negative goal differential.
Other side of the perspective

-They added 2 rookies as "upgrades" to the 2nd worse team in the league
-All the apathetic vets predictably got worse, since why the hell would they improve at age 30+ if they couldn't hack it the last 2 years?
-The supposed top pairing defenseman whose health the season rested it's hope's on, outright crashed and burned(Whitney)
-No training camp
-Few practices

And you are saying they are only slightly worse compared to the same time frame from last year?

Fire Kreuger? We should start campaigning for a bloody Jack Adams for the poor guy

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Other side of the perspective

-They added 2 rookies as "upgrades" to the 2nd worse team in the league
-All the apathetic vets predictably got worse, since why the hell would they improve at age 30+ if they couldn't hack it the last 2 years?
-The supposed top pairing defenseman whose health the season rested it's hope's on, outright crashed and burned(Whitney)
-No training camp
-Few practices

And you are saying they are only slightly worse compared to the same time frame from last year?

Fire Kreuger? We should start campaigning for a bloody Jack Adams for the poor guy
Added 2 rookies who just so happen to be two of the top scoring rookies in the NHL, yet our GF is lower than last season. We added Fistric as well, didn't burn out Khabibulin by overplaying him, haven't had any major man games lost to key players unless you consider Horcoff such a player. You say no training camp, I say that he was able to keep in contact with most of our core in OKC in the offseason. There was also a familiarity with the players since he was associate coach here, sorry I'm not buying it.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Added 2 rookies who just so happen to be two of the top scoring rookies in the NHL, yet our GF is lower than last season. We added Fistric as well, didn't burn out Khabibulin by overplaying him, haven't had any major man games lost to key players unless you consider Horcoff such a player. You say no training camp, I say that he was able to keep in contact with most of our core in OKC in the offseason. There was also a familiarity with the players since he was associate coach here, sorry I'm not buying it.
Both rookies have struggled defensively this year, and Shultz actually has a worse +/- in half a season than any defenseman had in a full schedule last year(not that I put much stock in +/-). Yakupov has started to excel with his carefully managed icetime, but Shultz looks like he's suffering a crisis of confidence after being so heavily relied upon so soon.

RNH(Shoulder) and Eberle(broken hand) were injured most of the year, and suffered significant reductions in production nullifying any bonuses either of the rookie players provided(and even the Hall and Gagner's bumps). That isn't even including the players everyone hates(Hemsky and his foot, Horcoff, Belanger, Jones), or the depth(Lander) that forced us to watch Smyth at center ice because Tambo was allergic to giving up a 7th rounder for a center.

Sutton/Fistric was a lateral move at best, 6/7 defenseman with some toughness who doesn't get into the roster anymore than Sutton did, and isn't an impact player when he's in there either.

Familiarity and keeping touch with players during a lockout, along with a few players playing together in the AHL(where they actually struggled at times), doesn't mean they can learn and play a new system on the fly at the NHL level - especially not a team that has shown the last 2 years that they are prone to abandoning systems play at the first sign of adversity(a theme with this year's team as well).

It's just status quo around here, roster is the same mess it was last year. Whatever gains made by the young players was lost to injuries, declining vets, an identically unbalanced roster, and the petrified inactivity of an idiotic management group, yet the stats you posted show only a slight decline. You don't buy it's not the coach, I don't buy that it really has much of anything to do with the coach. It's not even really a defense of Kreuger, this team isn't good enough to win no matter who is coaching.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

"I don't see a spirit being broken, I see a spirit maturing" -Krueger

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Who did they get exposed by last year? And the Kings were on fire during the Playoffs. But this year each conference has a few great teams. Yeah the Southeast sucks, sorta like the Northwest.
The penguins got torched by the flyers who then lost easily to the devils. The bruins should not have lost to the caps but did anyway. The last few years the west has eaten up the east and even we managed to defeat most of their playoff teams last year

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:45 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Quote:

'12-13 through 45 games

Now can someone/anyone tell me why Krueger should be retained as head coach? Same amount of wins, less GF, and a bigger negative goal differential.
We have 3 more points

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
pukes

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
He just comes across as such a flake. How can nhl players possibly take this guy serious when the avg fan can't?

He comes across more like a preacher or minister giving a sermon than a hockey coach.

Reverend Ralph Kreuger

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Now that's a bunch of brown bananas.

What a donkey.

Fits right in with the rest of the inept management team.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
He just comes across as such a flake. How can nhl players possibly take this guy serious when the avg fan can't?

He comes across more like a preacher or minister giving a sermon than a hockey coach.

Reverend Ralph Kreuger
This is what happens when you hire Tony Robbins to be your coach.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Now that's a bunch of brown bananas.

What a donkey.

Fits right in with the rest of the inept management team.
I'm sick of his motivational garbage. Whatever message he is trying to articulate is clearly hitting a wall at this point, and whatever coaching strategy is not working. We should never have let Renney go, but that was an act of a desperate man trying to save his own ass. A lesson well learned in this town, from the top down.

Now that we've gone through 4 coaches in 4 years we are left with the worst of the lot. Sadly, given this organizations nepotism, if we turf Kruger we will end up with Bucki. If we end up with Bucki, it will prove MacT is a monkey on a leash, and isn't afforded the opportunity to find his own coach.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Just for ***** and giggles, I thought I'd have a peek at who the coaches and assistant coaches were in all 30 NHL teams.

For all those complaining that the Oilers are an "old boys club" or what not, it seems to be that almost every club is an old boys club.

NHL has always been that way.

This is just for your info, which most already know anyways.

I don't even know why I'm posting this.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
That is one of the most ignorant statements I have read here.
Could have written that better. What I meant to say is few if any teams in the EC last season would advance significantly in the WC. could they win a round or two, yeah. Go to the SC final? Forget it.

A very ordinary New Jersey Devils team won the east last year. This very clearly being a Phoenix Coyotes level team if that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Could have written that better. What I meant to say is few if any teams in the EC last season would advance significantly in the WC. could they win a round or two, yeah. Go to the SC final? Forget it.

A very ordinary New Jersey Devils team won the east last year. This very clearly being a Phoenix Coyotes level team if that.
PHX and LA were ordinary teams too. STL and NSH which were in the Conference semis weren't exactly great teams either.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
PHX and LA were ordinary teams too. STL and NSH which were in the Conference semis weren't exactly great teams either.
In what way was LA ordinary? They hit the playoffs as one of the better teams in the league which I called at the time. After game 2 of the playoffs I called the Kings to go all the way. That was a solid team built for playoff hockey who dominated the opposition through 4 rounds with nobody coming close to stopping them.

Phoenix, solid team concept, good goaltending, but better scoring depth on the counter than given credit for. They were one of the better scoring clubs in the playoffs, a fact people tended to ignore.

Everybody knows preds were two of the best D on the planet with one of the best goalies in net. On a club playing a solid team game.

Blues would rule in the East this season. Textbook example of teams with a focus on allround play being better than their EC brethren.

In terms of players and lineups it might be closer between conferences than it is. But in terms of coaching and team play its WC hands down.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
joestevens29

And yet NJ took LA to the most games played.

Also NJ had more scoring then PHX....

Last edited by joestevens29: 04-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.
joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Who did they get exposed by last year? And the Kings were on fire during the Playoffs. But this year each conference has a few great teams. Yeah the Southeast sucks, sorta like the Northwest.
Not a strong statement either. The Northeast is 14pts better than the SE in a shortened season featuring clustered grouping of teams tight around the pts mean. Other than a couple outliers not much to seperate teams in pts overall. But the SE is significantly worse than any other Division. We also have the Jets, who haven't beat a playoff bound team since March 19 feasting and almost making the playoffs due to beating up on 3 pathetic divisional rivals.

Theres about 3 solid teams in the East Pitts, Boston, Wash. Of those the Capitals knew enough about how easy it was going to be by basically taking the first third of the season off. All they really ever had to do was be better than the Jets and knew it. This being a team thats really only played 30 games and are well rested. Because its not necessary to extend yourself making the playoffs in the East.

Nobody can convince me that Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NYI, NYR are solid teams or a threat to do anything in either division.

All of Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver, LA, SJ are very solid teams in the West and with other playoff range teams that are just better clubs than in the East.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And yet NJ took LA to the most games played.

Also NJ had more scoring then PHX....
You serious about this? The series was very nearly a sweep and with the Devils having very little answer to the kings. The Devils you remember were demoralized and not sure what to do after going down 3-0 in the series.

Give them some credit for gutting out a game 4 win in LA in a game that could have gone either way.

Back in NJ for game 5 the Kings dominated and somehow lost.

Back in LA the Kings finished the deal and did what they should have done in game 4 and hammered the lifeless Devils 6-1. The Devils were never even remotely in game 6. Stick a fork in, done like dinner.

The only thing that even made that series appear close is the Kings having expended more energy getting to the final in the tougher WC. For instance it being hard to even make the playoffs in the WC.

As for goals scored the Devils last season played the Florida Panthers, Philly Flyers, and NYR. Not exactly world beaters at keeping the puck out of the net. The Panthers and Flyers particularly being abysmal at the same. Take a look at who the Yotes had to play and without Raffi Torres..

Last edited by Replacement: 04-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Points in Krueger's favor:

- development of Yak & PRV
- Tambo doesn't see a need to replace Horcoff after his injury
- the d core is terrible
- PP & PK solid, although I can't believe they don't set up Hall & Yakupov for the one-timer
- roster is not well designed to be competitive in the West.

Points against;
- pretty terrible 5-on-5 play
- questionable 5-on-5 systems

- team mailing it in on too many occasions

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Points in Krueger's favor:

- development of Yak & PRV
- Tambo doesn't see a need to replace Horcoff after his injury
- the d core is terrible
- PP & PK solid, although I can't believe they don't set up Hall & Yakupov for the one-timer
- roster is not well designed to be competitive in the West.

Points against;
- pretty terrible 5-on-5 play
- questionable 5-on-5 systems

- team mailing it in on too many occasions
In fairness Kreuger, his entire career is a coach that believes in high intensity energy shifts, keeping them short, getting off the ice, and rolling lines.

The bottomsix being deplorable was never going to be good enough for this on the season. Recruits like Brown and Smithson and more abysmal seasons from Belanger, |jones, Horc, Smyth didn't help.

Really who could roll lines successfully with this lineup?

Next I'll add that the topsix didn't commit to 5 on 5 system play. The system worked well enough when we played it. This being a club that sticks to system less than any team I've seen in the West.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Not a strong statement either. The Northeast is 14pts better than the SE in a shortened season featuring clustered grouping of teams tight around the pts mean. Other than a couple outliers not much to seperate teams in pts overall. But the SE is significantly worse than any other Division. We also have the Jets, who haven't beat a playoff bound team since March 19 feasting and almost making the playoffs due to beating up on 3 pathetic divisional rivals.

Theres about 3 solid teams in the East Pitts, Boston, Wash. Of those the Capitals knew enough about how easy it was going to be by basically taking the first third of the season off. All they really ever had to do was be better than the Jets and knew it. This being a team thats really only played 30 games and are well rested. Because its not necessary to extend yourself making the playoffs in the East.

Nobody can convince me that Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NYI, NYR are solid teams or a threat to do anything in either division.

All of Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver, LA, SJ are very solid teams in the West and with other playoff range teams that are just better clubs than in the East.
Do you think that the Oilers would be in the playoffs if they were in the East? I don't think so, maybe a bit higher. I wish we could see if they could be the Jets. The Canucks have zero depth and the Sharks are underachieving again this year. The Caps are playing like they should be and the Rangers are reminding me of the Kings last year. Can see them doing allot of damage if they can avoid the Pens and Crosby in the first round.

I also said that the Southeast was similar to the Northwest division. Three in each division are bottom feeders.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
MoneyGuy

Kreuger is not the problem, folks. We've gone through coaches here like Rita MacNeil wolfs down sandwiches (too soon?). Seriously, when do the players have to take the responsibility they deserve? I'm not saying that the coaching has been excellent, but 46 games are not enough time to make that decision. You guys would be lousy investors, flipping stocks at the first sign of trouble. I think Ralph needs at least a full season, and if he doesn't have the complementary players he needs to succeed, that's not his fault.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote