HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Mason has been very good since he came to us.

Really hope the organization does the right thing.
The right thing is to keep Bryz for now.

Let Bryz absorb all the negative energy from the media and fanbase while Mason quietly backstops us to a playoff spot next season

Old
04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

Let Bryz absorb all the negative energy from the media and fanbase while Mason quietly backstops us to a playoff spot next season
The tandem would certainly take a lot of the pressure off Mason, so he can focus on rebuilding his game.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'm hoping that Bryz and Mason somehow pull off a Halak/Elliott type thing where they both play incredibly, Flyers make playoffs, offense comes alive, Flyers win cup, buy out Bryzgalov, start over with Mason, rinse, repeat.

04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Are people still mad Homer gave up a third round pick for Mason?
Yes! That pick has about a 14% chance of making it on the team and mason is a washed up bum!

(Sarcasm face)

Old
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Mason is looking good but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Philly is still goalie hell and Mason has a long way to go before he proves himself legit. Having said this it was interesting to hear all the positive comments from various players and the coach about Mason's skillset like lateral movement, glove, size and work ethic in practice where he wants to stop every shot. Also mentioned how he gets along with the team and Reese. Didnt really hear those kind of endorsements of Bryz except here and there. Just seemed everybody is going out of their way to praise Mason and send a msg to Bryz to shape up or ship out...

Old
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I think something going a tad bit un-noticed it Mason's ability to keep the play going by his quickness with his glove or his abilty to play the puck with his stick.

How many times have we seen a slowly rolling puck towards Bryz get covered and turn into a defensive zone faceoff. Let's face it most of the team has struggled his faceoffs (besides Giroux and Hall).

So assuming we lose the draw, that leads to most likely a scoring chance for another team as opposed to having Mason in and getting the puck back in play or out of the zone letting the Flyers go back to their "attack, attack" mentality.

Just a little thing I noticed that makes me like Mason better than Bryz.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Are people still mad Homer gave up a third round pick for Mason?
Nah...more upset about how he handled Bob and the backup situation but if Mason rights his wrongs with the whole goaltending situation thus far...then he will redeem himself of a bad offseason this year after a really good one the previous year..

Old
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

hahah odds of that happening, 0.0%..

no way Bryz stays in a position to do that.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Broad Street Elite

I can't imagine Bryz silently splitting time with Mason. I think we'd end up with a cancer on our hands as it his personality (and past rumors) indicate that he doesn't like splits. Yes, he doesn't have a choic ein the matter, but he also can be a pain in the ass for team chemistry.

I waive Bryz this offseason and target a solid veteran to share duties with Mason. Nabakov is the perfect guy imho.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:56 AM
ORYX

The numbers are in.

Steve Mason Sv %:

Pre Flyers: .899
Flyers: .936

Sign this man to a MAX contract.

In all seriousness, I like what I have seen from him, he looks night and day different then when in Columbus, for all the right reasons.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:03 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I can't imagine Bryz silently splitting time with Mason. I think we'd end up with a cancer on our hands as it his personality (and past rumors) indicate that he doesn't like splits. Yes, he doesn't have a choic ein the matter, but he also can be a pain in the ass for team chemistry.

I waive Bryz this offseason and target a solid veteran to share duties with Mason. Nabakov is the perfect guy imho.
Even if Bryz is happy splitting time, in theory, as a hockey club, does it make sense to have the goalie you splurged on, and accounting for a significant chunk of the cap, as a platoon goalie?

If it doesnt happen this season, I can't see the Flyers not buying out Bryz. He has had 1.5 seasons to show he is worth the contract. Outside of 1 month, he has been average at best, while getting paid well above average money and term.

If i'm the Flyers, the question isnt "Do we buy out Bryz?", but "Will he be a problem in the room next year splitting time, or back up role, knowing he is to be bought out?"

And I'm not saying Mason is the answer, but he has been good, and worth 1 of the two positions. I still explore other alternatives as well, such as Bernier among others.

Even acquiring a guy like John Gibson would be GREAT. Can't see Anahiem letting him go though unless part of a package to bring a strong roster player to their team.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Zinnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
The numbers are in.

Steve Mason Sv %:

Pre Flyers: .899
Flyers: .936

Sign this man to a MAX contract.

In all seriousness, I like what I have seen from him, he looks night and day different then when in Columbus, for all the right reasons.
It's only been about 5 games. I bet you could find a large number of 5 game stints that many goalies have had those or similar stats. Hell I bet even MFL had a 5 game stretch with those stats.

That being said, he is shows he has the capability, and there is potential.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnny View Post
It's only been about 5 games. I bet you could find a large number of 5 game stints that many goalies have had those or similar stats. Hell I bet even MFL had a 5 game stretch with those stats.

Because our team defensively is very well-rounded if a goalie shows the slightest bit of effort.

I'm not saying it's good enough to fix Leighton, but our defense is much better than the rumor mill contends, even with everyone getting cycled through. Why? Because our forwards are defensively better than many people suspect.

I'll take "stuff I've been saying all along" for $800 please.

It certainly helps when the goalie is active in the defensive zone as well. When's the last time you wanted Bryz to go out of the net and touch the puck?

Game-plan:
1) Sign Joacim Eriksson
2) Draft Darnell Nurse
3) Amnesty Ilya Bryzgalov and Danny Briere.
4) Re-sign Adam Hall and Kent Huskins.
5) Sign Mark Streit.
6) Call it an offseason and get ready for 2013-14 camps.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Remember Bryz's first 6 games for the Flyers this season? He had just over 2 GAA and a .924 SV%.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Zinnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
When's the last time you wanted Bryz to go out of the net and touch the puck?
I cringe, close my eyes, and pray whenever I see Bryz leave the net

Old
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnny View Post

Hence "In all Seriousness".

I watched him in London and Kitchener, saw some of him in Columbus. This short stint of success to end the season will do him wonders with his confidence heading into the offseason, as something to build on. All his years in Columbus, they'd limp into the offseason with their heads slung.

Just passing along what I'm seeing in him, small sample size or not, he is giving us reason to at least be happy with his starts thus far. No one is calling him a savior.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Has this been posted?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Remember Bryz's first 6 games for the Flyers this season? He had just over 2 GAA and a .924 SV%.
With a fully healthy defense. What Mason did last night was pretty damn impressive.

Although if they do amnesty Bryz, we definitely need a top end veteran back up to split starts with Mason or be there if he falters. Ie Biron type.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I think something going a tad bit un-noticed it Mason's ability to keep the play going by his quickness with his glove or his abilty to play the puck with his stick.

How many times have we seen a slowly rolling puck towards Bryz get covered and turn into a defensive zone faceoff. Let's face it most of the team has struggled his faceoffs (besides Giroux and Hall).

So assuming we lose the draw, that leads to most likely a scoring chance for another team as opposed to having Mason in and getting the puck back in play or out of the zone letting the Flyers go back to their "attack, attack" mentality.

Just a little thing I noticed that makes me like Mason better than Bryz.
I've noticed it as well. It really helps the team out, as you've described.

One of the things that annoyed me about Carle was watching him take a weak shot that's gloved and frozen, only to see the team lose the draw. It killed offensive pressure. I've gotten just as annoyed at watching Bryz cover anything that comes near him, regardless of how much time he has, resulting in the same thing...but in our own end. It increases the pressure on the D. If Bryz were able to consistently bail out the D while they're pressured that would be one thing, but in general he doesn't do that. Of course, if the team wasn't towards the bottom in FOs neither one matters nearly as much.

04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

My only complaint about Mason so far is inability to hold onto the puck with his glove hand. He hasn't got burnt with it yet but hopefully it's something their working on with him.

Other than that the guys killing our draft position right now. I would also like to point out his ability to play the puck is really helping out the defense right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

His rebound control is definitely his biggest weakness. Otherwise his reflexes have been good, his puck handling has been good, his positioning has been good, and I'd say his glove hand has been good+. He's been solid all around...whether it's temporary thanks to the change in scenery remains to be seen.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
His rebound control is definitely his biggest weakness. Otherwise his reflexes have been good, his puck handling has been good, his positioning has been good, and I'd say his glove hand has been good+. He's been solid all around...whether it's temporary thanks to the change in scenery remains to be seen.
His glove hand has been good in the sense that he gets a piece of the puck. He just struggles to hold onto to it. I noticed last night he had back to back shots where he had to use his glove hand and couldn't hold on to them. I was at the game and it looked like he was shaking his glove hand off after the first one so I don't know if it stung him initially and that's why he couldn't hold on to the second neither.

While its fun to watch him play like this right now I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. I will say though he has a lot of tools that Bryz simply doesn't have.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:49 PM
spudnick

Anyone read this?

Quote:
Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE 9s Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov when asked if he wanted to return next year. Turning to female reporter he said, "Nice blouse."

Old
04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Anyone read this?
Once again drawing attention to himself with his polarizing answers. Media instigates but his attitude just blows...

Old
04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I don't post much anymore, but still read, and was waiting for someone to mention this...

Is there any way to split the genes of our goalie coach as well as CBJ's so we could create a hybrid clone coach?

All jokes aside, I think the tandem of both coaches are the reason for Bob's success. I do remember someone mentioning that about Bob before. Reese did a good initial job with a kid who never really had a goalie coach...and now it seems with the addition of CBJ's goalie coach BOB has rounded out his game and plugged some holes.

I'm hoping the same thing happens with Mason. CBJ's coach gave him one aspect of traning and now hopefully Reese can plug whatever other holes he wasn't able to plug in CBJ. The reason I'm liking/hoping for this theory to work, is because Mason I think has more natural raw talent than BOB. He didn't win the Calder with luck.

Hopefully the two coaching styles can round out his game and allow his natural talent to shine through. If that's the case, a 3rd+Bob+Leighton for a 2nd+Mason will be much better in the end than what we juyst got for BOB.

Thoughts on the two coaching styles effect?

Closed Thread