HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Galchenyuk 9-16-25 +11 12:19
Jordan Staal 10-20-30 -18 20:00

Wonder if Pierre would still trade our 1st pick for him?
I said it a few weeks back and still stand by it...Staal is NOT a 6 mil per year calibre player. Between him and Semin Carolina will struggle to build a winner. I know Carolina is not a good team and he plays against tough opposition, but -18 is pretty putrid.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
Please Montreal give us the 2 points next game to keep our playoff hopes alive. We were screwed by the Refs and the NHL with the disallowed goal. This is the 3rd one in the past 10 games.
lol just show up, hit us a little shot from anywhere and you'll get the 2 pts

Old
04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Please Montreal give us the 2 points next game to keep our playoff hopes alive. We were screwed by the Refs and the NHL with the disallowed goal. This is the 3rd one in the past 10 games.
You need about 5 shots per period to win.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
bsl

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
no problem, where's our Crosby ? where's our Malkin ?

****ing exactly good response, 'Habs need to emulate Pens.' I cannot believe someone posted this here.

Pens Sucked incredibly badly, were the worst of the 67 expansion by far, except for the Seals, who don't count, almost lost their franchise, and then tanked twice to draft the two best NHL players the last 25 years, and Malkin too.

What a muppet. Good response. I ****ing hate the Pens.

In 3 years, their **** time is coming, because there is no way they ever draft two of the best players ever within 10 years again.

When they fold, and they will, I will dance in the street naked, and it will not be pretty.

Re above, I checked again, it was SouthernHab who said we should 'emulate the Pens.' No surprise there.

Last edited by bsl: 04-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Welcome to struggle for 8th place. See you next year in the same spot.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
habtastic

Quote:
As if you won't destroy us. Right now, you guys deserve to be in and it must be annoying to see our pathetic efforts sitting in 2nd or 4th. Ladd, Kane, Bfuglien et. al will deliver. Plus, as if we are going to get a goal past Pavelec. I would just concentrate on the scoreboard watching after. It could work out positively for both of us if you beat us in OT. You get an ROW and we get a point to secure home ice.

You have a physical team. You really think you're gonna lose this one?

Old
04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Galchenyuk 9-16-25 +11 12:19
Jordan Staal 10-20-30 -18 20:00

Wonder if Pierre would still trade our 1st pick for him?
I've never been a huge J. Staal fan, but those numbers are a good example why stats don't always tell the full story. Without digging into Corsi and all that crap I would wager that Jordan Staal plays some of the toughest minutes in the league and Galchenyuk plays some of the easiest. Not to mention the caliber of the teams they play on.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I've never been a huge J. Staal fan, but those numbers are a good example why stats don't always tell the full story. Without digging into Corsi and all that crap I would wager that Jordan Staal plays some of the toughest minutes in the league and Galchenyuk plays some of the easiest. Not to mention the caliber of the teams they play on.
That's a fair point, but also consider this is J. Staal in his arguable prime/he's not gonna get that much better. This is Chucky straight from Sarnia to the Habs so the point is still quite valid that we should not have even dreamed of giving up Chucky for J. Staal.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Superficially looking at player usage charts, J. Staal plays roughly the same usage as Eller (~48% o-zone start, decent competition), which means slightly easier assignments than Plekanec. Compared to Plekanec he has comparable points, less shots and more positive posession.

Galchenyuk doesn't actually play against weaker competition but has much more generous o-zone starts (though less so than the DD line).

Really Jordan Staal is comparable to Plekanec, a great 2-way center but not someone you should rely on offensively. He's not getting that overpaid when you consider the Leafs give almost as much to Grabovski, though it makes you realize how absurd it is when people complain about Plekanec making 5M a year.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I would not trade #27 for J. Staal, but Staal would help take the load off Pleks and contribute as a PKer and give us a big body if he were here. He gives more than just points. He helps keeps pucks out of his team's net.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
I would not trade #27 for J. Staal, but Staal would help take the load off Pleks and contribute as a PKer and give us a big body if he were here. He gives more than just points. He helps keeps pucks out of his team's net.
We have Eller. Don't we ?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
That's a fair point, but also consider this is J. Staal in his arguable prime/he's not gonna get that much better. This is Chucky straight from Sarnia to the Habs so the point is still quite valid that we should not have even dreamed of giving up Chucky for J. Staal.
Yes, the point I was making is that this is Galchenyuk's 1st year. Plus, wasn't McGuire saying 1st pick AND something else for J. Staal? So glad we have that kid. He's the only bright spot in the last few games.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
And his stock is on the rise. Particularly with post-menopausal ladies.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
And his stock is on the rise. Particularly with post-menopausal ladies.

Just happened to watch that episode of 24CH yesterday. LOL.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Eller is not quite there yet.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Superficially looking at player usage charts, J. Staal plays roughly the same usage as Eller (~48% o-zone start, decent competition), which means slightly easier assignments than Plekanec. Compared to Plekanec he has comparable points, less shots and more positive posession.

Galchenyuk doesn't actually play against weaker competition but has much more generous o-zone starts (though less so than the DD line).

Really Jordan Staal is comparable to Plekanec, a great 2-way center but not someone you should rely on offensively. He's not getting that overpaid when you consider the Leafs give almost as much to Grabovski, though it makes you realize how absurd it is when people complain about Plekanec making 5M a year.
That's really surprising to be honest...either Staal's getting easier match-ups than I thought or Eller's getting harder match-ups than I thought

Thanks for doing the digging though. If DenverHabsFan's overall point was that he wouldn't trade the pick that became Galchenyuk for Staal plus a $6m extension, then I fully agree as well.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Et le But

Quote:
That's really surprising to be honest...either Staal's getting easier match-ups than I thought or Eller's getting harder match-ups than I thought

Thanks for doing the digging though. If DenverHabsFan's overall point was that he wouldn't trade the pick that became Galchenyuk for Staal plus a $6m extension, then I fully agree as well.
Well, from what I see Carolina is pretty offensive-minded with how it uses its forwards overall, and there's a lot more balance - the Staal brothers basically play the same quality of competition, with Eric starting 57% of the time in the offensive zone and Jordan only 49%. Jordan gets the harder assignments but I believe Mueller uses more of a power vs power strategy, no exploitation line comparable to the Desharnais line in Montreal.

J. Staal definitely isn't getting the brutal matchups he has had in the past with the Penguins, but it also says a lot about how when things were working for us, how much of the heavy lifting Plekanec and Eller had to do.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
a

****ing exactly good response, 'Habs need to emulate Pens.' I cannot believe someone posted this here.

Pens Sucked incredibly badly, were the worst of the 67 expansion by far, except for the Seals, who don't count, almost lost their franchise, and then tanked twice to draft the two best NHL players the last 25 years, and Malkin too.

What a muppet. Good response. I ****ing hate the Pens.

In 3 years, their **** time is coming, because there is no way they ever draft two of the best players ever within 10 years again.

When they fold, and they will, I will dance in the street naked, and it will not be pretty.

Re above, I checked again, it was SouthernHab who said we should 'emulate the Pens.' No surprise there.
Dance naked.

I hate the Pens as well. Check the last time they won a Cup and then check the last time we won a Cup.

Then look at the roster they have now minus Malkin and Crosby and tell me which team is better.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Grabovsky is one of the worst players making 5 mil per year, not the median. Grabovsky shouldn't justify J.Staal getting 6 mil/year any more than Gomez jutifies overpaying Nash or Lecavalier.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Grabovsky is one of the worst players making 5 mil per year, not the median. Grabovsky shouldn't justify J.Staal getting 6 mil/year any more than Gomez jutifies overpaying Nash or Lecavalier.
It shouldn't, but the fact is two way C's are a premium, and it's why we are lucky to have two good ones, which is why complaining about Plekanec making 5M a year is absurd.

And J. Staal IS overpaid but not ridiculously so. But Pittsburgh was smart to trade him since for them, that cap space is much better used elsewhere.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
Are the Bruins and Canadiens tanking on purpose right now or something? I can't even decide which teams in more trouble.. ugh.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
The Nightman

Karlsson might be back tomorrow.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe there's been any decision made just yet but I wouldn't be surprised if Erik Karlsson returns to OTT lineup tomorrow night.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It shouldn't, but the fact is two way C's are a premium, and it's why we are lucky to have two good ones, which is why complaining about Plekanec making 5M a year is absurd.

And J. Staal IS overpaid but not ridiculously so. But Pittsburgh was smart to trade him since for them, that cap space is much better used elsewhere.
I agree on Plekanec, solid signing.

Pittsburgh may have to do that again with another core player once Malkin and Letang get extensions. Kunitz? Orpik?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
Karlsson might be back tomorrow.

@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe there's been any decision made just yet but I wouldn't be surprised if Erik Karlsson returns to OTT lineup tomorrow night.
Say goodbye to Subban's Norris and Markov's Masterton hopes.

Art Ross still TBD.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Say goodbye to Subban's Norris and Markov's Masterton hopes.

Art Ross still TBD.
Masterton is still safe, Sens already nomited Benoit.

Closed Thread