HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 46: Preds vs Flames 7:00 PM CST "Salute the 7th Man Edition"

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
I guess I should turn in my "fan" card due to the fact I'm not happy that the Preds won last night

Old
04-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I have a feeling this was quite the Pyrrhic victory.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I have a feeling this was quite the Pyrrhic victory.
could not agree more

Old
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Persona5

The win doesn't feel good because it wasn't even against an NHL team...

Old
04-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Old
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
you guys *****ing have a screw loose.

the home fans, who have been treated to crappy, low scoring hockey for most of the season, get to go into the summer with a small amout of positive vibes.

a lot of our future played well last night, and I'll trade the confidence they gain for one spot in the draft order any day.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Webersmashpuck

Ive been really impressed by Bang and especially this game. He is awesome at forechecking, heck he killed 20-30 seconds on a penalty himself harassing the Flames with the puck.

Its good to get the win. If we lose out on Mackinnon and have to take Barkov, even if Mackinnon is better, I would put money that our organization would be in a better spot that the team below us.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Happy to see Leggy get 200th career goal.

Awesome to see Forsberg get his first point in the NHL.

Happy to see Watson with his first NHL goal.

Way to go Preds beating the Flames for the last home game.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I find it laughable that there were calls for SK's head when he quit on a play yet we have people calling on the team to quit on a season, their teammates, and themselves.

I'm pleased that the team keeps fighting. Even with the injury devastated lineup, they keep digging deep and playing hard in every game. The kids are demonstrating the work ethic we used to prize from our players. The heart the team continues to display is one of the few bright spots in a disappointing season. With two desperate bubble teams remaining on the schedule, some of you might get the losses you hope for so much.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I find it laughable that there were calls for SK's head when he quit on a play yet we have people calling on the team to quit on a season, their teammates, and themselves.

I'm pleased that the team keeps fighting. Even with the injury devastated lineup, they keep digging deep and playing hard in every game. The kids are demonstrating the work ethic we used to prize from our players. The heart the team continues to display is one of the few bright spots in a disappointing season. With two desperate bubble teams remaining on the schedule, some of you might get the losses you hope for so much.
You seriously need to work on reading comprehension.

I - and I think most other people who are "cheering against our team" - want our boys to come out and play their a***es off every single shift. I want us to try as hard as we can to win, I just hope that we end up getting outplayed despite our effort. I don't want our players to give up. I just want them to be outclassed, for right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:20 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I find it laughable that you're defending guys who are giving a great effort that have no business being in the NHL. Here's some notes for you. Legwand, SK and Spaling were our veteran leaders up front last night. Yes, Spaling. The other 9 forwards have either been tweeners, promising prospects or borderline NHL talents. Forsberg and Watson have futures with this team. Halischuk is trying to make a case for himself but hasn't he had enough time in our lineup to do so, and I like Hali. Butler was a waiver wire pick up. Mueller, Henderson and Mueller are up there in age. Clune is Clune and fills a roll. Smith is an enigma at best at this point. Bong hustles but has hands of stone, which we have plenty of on the roster. So at the end of the day, of the 9 forwards, two have futures with us and the other 7 may latch on or not. Where are the spots for them on next years roster?

It's great that they played hard but they did it against a team that was dressing a similar roster as we were and they were worse than we were, which is hard to imagine. They sat 5 or so veterans last night. We should be up in arms about their tank job. We're actually going out and playing hard but guys playing hard for something that isn't even in their future is laughable. Good for them that they got up for the game but I'd be excited if it was actually guys that have a future with the Preds as opposed to guys who aren't likely to be here in the next 2 years.

So why should I get excited about a team that has youth that is playing hard, that won't be here, that is only hurting our draft position for a guy that will be here for the next 15 years hopefully? Couple that with the lack of effort for most of the season and now the team is bringing it? Call me a bad fan. Call me a fair weather fan. I'm trying to be realistic about the future of the team and if losing means long term success, what's wrong with that? I mean really, we sucked this year, massively. I love the effort some of these guys are showing but to me it's a lot too late. This sort of effort should have been there from the get go, not the last couple of games because young kids are competing for spots that don't exist.

Here's what the roster will look like up front next year.

Fisher, Legwand, Wilson, Bourque, Beck, Hornqvist, SK, Forsberg, Spaling, Gaustad, Clune, Halischuk and Smith. That's 13 right there. That's not including a guy like Yip who might be re-signed as an UFA. Same goes for Butler. That's 15. Add in the possible top 5 pick and you've got 16 slots filled. Where are the spots for the young guys that are playing so hard? While it's great that Henderson, Bang and some others are getting a chance, they are not part of the future. They are playing for jobs in someone else's organization and hurting ours long term.

Like I said, if me wanting the team to tank makes me a bad fan, so be it. I can handle the name calling but if we can land an elite talent, do it. If it means our guys have to suck, so be it. What I don't want is guys playing hard to move us up in the standings and these are the same guys that will be on our roster instead of a better player. Let's see, whoohooo, Henderson and Bang and others are playing hard and we lose out on a Mackinnon or Drouin. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Crappy 4th line guys instead of an elite forward. Yeah. Let's do that and be the little train that could but at the end of the day can't because we don't have the horses to do it. We finally have a chance to land what we've all been wanting and we sit here and argue over semantics of how we're going to get there? Big freaking deal, lose a few games. It's looking at the big picture and not at the short term. It's a rosy feeling winning the last home game but I'd rather have a stud in our lineup next year then last nights win.

Sorry if this comes off as pessimistic but I want a top 3 forward to pair with what we already have up front and if that makes me a jerk or pessimistic, so be it. Top 3 forward or bust.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
jlsg

The level of play has pretty much been there all year with the exception of about 3 or 4 games in the middle. It would have been difficult to lose last night because the Flames team that was on the ice was absolutely horrible. We won't be winning many more even though I would love to beat the Wings and put a dent in their playoff hopes.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

good post atty^^

Old
04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
The level of play has pretty much been there all year with the exception of about 3 or 4 games in the middle. It would have been difficult to lose last night because the Flames team that was on the ice was absolutely horrible. We won't be winning many more even though I would love to beat the Wings and put a dent in their playoff hopes.
Knocking the wings out of the playoffs will only give them a shot to win the lottery. Why would we care to do that.

Love the post Atty....I agree 100%.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Hard as it is for me to say it, I would rather see the Wings and Jackets in and the Wild out, if possible.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Glen, are you saying you don't want the guys playing hard?

Old
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Glen, are you saying you don't want the guys playing hard?
Want them playing hard but want them to lose. I know that's a weird thing to say but playing hard at this point is hurting us more than anything if we win. Play hard. Lose. High draft pick. Top 3 forward. If they had played hard all year long I probably would want them to continue that but since the effort hasn't been there all year, why start now. I'm messed up in the head but I hope you get where I'm coming from.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Fans wanting a loss is one thing, if player quits or wants to lose that's unexceptable. I want players that never, ever want to lose at anything, even it it's just a game of UNO.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
jlsg

I could not care less if the Wild are in or out. They won't get past the 1st round regardless. I just think the Wings need a reality check and not making the playoffs would be a good one. Considering the history it would be appropriate for the Preds to put a nail in the coffin as a send off to the new alignment. We'll take care of the Wild next year when we play them more often.
As far as the draft order, I really have a hard time with this since the future capabilities of some of these young men is still in question. We know which is the better now, but will that translate to 3 or 5 years from now. Plus the lottery potentially messes up the whole deal anyway. I think more is gained from playing the kids hard, playing to win then doing anything else.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 162
It is pointless to argue the tanking issue. It is also shortsighted to think that FF and Mac would fix the offense on this team next year.
2011-2012 the team scored 232 goals. Fro Glenns list.

Fisher, Legwand, Wilson, Bourque, Beck, Hornqvist, SK, Forsberg, Spaling, Gaustad, Clune, Halischuk and Smith

This lineup is not going to put up over 200 goals even if the Preds got Mac there still not going to be close. This team defensivly is not as good as 2011-12 either. There is a real confidence issue for the team and there has been most of this abysmal season.

I can't hope even for one loss and really do not understand how anyone could. I get many are coinvinced a top 3 pick will fix the ills of the team. It could help but not a noticable help for a couple years. If ths team ges into Oct with the same players that were listed they stll do not have a legiimate 1st line, adding a top 5 pik will not change this next year.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:05 PM
RaiderDoug

I don't care if they play hard. I'm tired of the Playing-hard Preds. Scrappy little team that we are, we play hard, scare some good team in the playoffs, and then get a pat on the head at the end of every season - "blah blah blah, imagine if the Preds had one more forward or spent a little bit extra money or blah blah blah".

I want a Cup. Untalented players playing hard might get you to the second round and give you to warm fuzzies. Great.

If we want to get to the top of the mountain, we need a dynamic elite level scorer to go with our world class d-man and goalie. Those guys go top 3. We ain't getting one picking 15-20, where we usually pick. I seriously doubt we pick anywhere near that next year. We don't shop for FA's, and FA's don't really look at us, and you really can't get one of them in FA anyway. This is our chance to get one of these guys, for free.

But hey, when we pick some other project at #6 and sit there wondering for the next half decade where's our Crosby, our Ovechkin, or why can't we get lucky like that - at least we'll be able to point out that our guys played hard and beat a lame Calgary team that one night years ago to finish 24th instead of 28th.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
It is pointless to argue the tanking issue. It is also shortsighted to think that FF and Mac would fix the offense on this team next year.
2011-2012 the team scored 232 goals. Fro Glenns list.

Fisher, Legwand, Wilson, Bourque, Beck, Hornqvist, SK, Forsberg, Spaling, Gaustad, Clune, Halischuk and Smith

This lineup is not going to put up over 200 goals even if the Preds got Mac there still not going to be close. This team defensivly is not as good as 2011-12 either. There is a real confidence issue for the team and there has been most of this abysmal season.

I can't hope even for one loss and really do not understand how anyone could. I get many are coinvinced a top 3 pick will fix the ills of the team. It could help but not a noticable help for a couple years. If ths team ges into Oct with the same players that were listed they stll do not have a legiimate 1st line, adding a top 5 pik will not change this next year.
Who cares about next year only.

Getting a pick like Drouin/MacKinnon could change the fortunes of a franchise for a decade or more. We've got Weber and Rinne locked up for like 13 and 6 more years respectively.

Getting a talent like that, especially considering we're not the Rangers and we don't go out and buy one, seems alot more important than one meaningless win over an AHL roster in a non-playoff year anyway.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
it's not that it will help the ills of the team per say, but it will go a long way to the next 5 years, a top 3 pick and a couple of FA's could help, but at the rate we are going, we may very likely end up just trading for some rentals like we usually do.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 162
Retention of talent is an issue here. When your looking long term. And while Rinne and Weber are signed long term FF and Mac or Drouin would not be in there prime before Rinne and Weber would be in there decline. Both are 18 and most forwards are in there best years at 25 to 28. In 7 years im not sure Where Rinne will be and Weber is he is still here which I doubt will be 34.

It wiould make more sense to trade this first rounder and perhaps Blum or ellis or both to get a player like Thomas Vanek who is in the prime years now. Pick up couple more forward when teams look to dump salary this summer and regroup.

Weber will not want to stay here and wait for the Preds to devlop FF, Watson, This pick, to become competitive and have a chance for a run for a cup.

Now if there is a option to get Mac DP has to do it. But it will be a sign that he return to the playoffs may be a few years. Then Weber will force a trade so he may have a chance for a cup. One only has to look at Pronger to see what could go down, he wanted a chance for a cup and didn't see it in St Louis so he forces a trade, didn't work out another trade. Then there Hossa who jumped arround until he got his cup.

If we were privy to DP, Trotz and the ownership we might have an idea how this is going to fall out but were not. Were fans with far reaching opinions but we need to look no further than the past to get a feel of what DP will do.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Byrd, no one is saying a top 3 will fix the ills next season but it sure as heck won't hurt for the next 10-15 years will it? Teams have to plan for the immediate and long term future of the franchise. Landing a top 3 forward certainly helps us. Team that with Forsberg and the future is brighter. I hate losing as much as anyone around here but does losing a few games right now benefit us more for years or does a few wins help us long term?

Closed Thread