HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 11:58 AM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think Edmonton will take him.
Depends what Nashville does, but I'm expecting Carolina to have a choice between Nurse, Barkov, and Monahan so with that in mind the Oilers would be picking between 2 of those 3 and I think Nurse and Barkov are both off the board before Monahan gets selected.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:59 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I get the feeling Nashville will definitely take either Barkov or Lindholm.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Eh, I don't think that's necessarily true.

1. Florida - MacKinnon
2. Colorado - Jones
3. Tampa Bay - Drouin
4. Nashville - Monahan/Barkov [no chance they take Nichushkin, IMO]
5. Carolina - Nichushkin [they did extend Semin, after all)
6. Edmonton - Monahan/Barkov/Lindholm
7. Calgary - Monahan/Lindholm
8. Philadelphia - Nurse

I agree it gets trickier if we are picking 9th instead of 8th.

Really, the one two teams in the top seven that I can see realistically picking Nichushkin are Tampa Bay (if they end up picking 4-7) and Carolina.
If the board breaks down like that I will buy all of Flyers@HFboards a beer. (Yuengling though. Don't expect ****ing Delirium or Guinness products.)

Your entire premise is based on the theory that Carolina will take Nichushkin over Nurse and that Edmonton will take Monahan or Barkov over Nurse.

I don't see either of those things happening.

That said, I like the idea of Ristolainen more and more. He's a taller, slightly slower version of Timonen. He's calm, he can move the puck, he uses his body effectively even if he's not bashing faces, he's intelligent as all hell, and he has great positioning. He almost has to make the Flyers' team though. He would gain a LOT working with Timonen in his last season.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
I get the feeling Nashville will definitely take either Barkov or Lindholm.
Agreed, I could definitely see them taking Lindholm, who I view as a top 3/4 player from this draft class.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think our board is...

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. MacKinnon
4. Nurse
5. Monahan
6. Shinkaruk
7-15. Anyone could go...
i'd rather have Mantha than Shinkaruk

Old
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If the board breaks down like that I will buy all of Flyers@HFboards a beer. (Yuengling though. Don't expect ****ing Delirium or Guinness products.)

Your entire premise is based on the theory that Carolina will take Nichushkin over Nurse and that Edmonton will take Monahan or Barkov over Nurse.

I don't see either of those things happening.

That said, I like the idea of Ristolainen more and more. He's a taller, slightly slower version of Timonen. He's calm, he can move the puck, he uses his body effectively even if he's not bashing faces, he's intelligent as all hell, and he has great positioning. He almost has to make the Flyers' team though. He would gain a LOT working with Timonen in his last season.
Nichushkin is clearly the wild-card, no doubt.

I don't think it is that much of a stretch to think that Edmonton takes Monahan or Barkov over Nurse--that's the overwhelming perception of their board's fans, for instance, who presumably know something about the team's drafting tendencies and organizational needs.

Anyway, I'm not uncomfortable with Ristolainen either. You draft him, and you pretty much know you have a 3/4 defenseman who can steady a 2nd pairing (in the future) and quarterback a 2nd PP unit. He's probably one of the safest choices in the top-10--but I guess the question is whether the Flyers, who rarely find themselves drafting this high, are best suited to take such a conservative approach. If we're up, and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nurse are all off the board, I think he's our best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i'd rather have Mantha than Shinkaruk
Surprising no one.

But, seriously, if we take Shinkaruk or Mantha in the top-10, I'll be a bit disappointed. I know that it is difficult to criticize the organization's drafting when it comes to forwards--and either or both may well end up to be very, very good NHL players. But we know that we need a young defenseman--and this is a chance to cash in on an awful abbreviated season. If a top-tier forward falls to us (like Couturier in 2011), that's a different matter, but I'd hope that they would take Ristolainen (or even Zadorov) over Shinkaruk or Mantha.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not uncomfortable with Ristolainen either. You draft him, and you pretty much know you have a 3/4 defenseman who can steady a 2nd pairing (in the future) and quarterback a 2nd PP unit.
You are referring to his floor right? Ristolainen does have 1st pairing measurables. The question, for all defensemen even Jones and Nurse, is does he have the decision making to be a top pair guy. Only time in the NHL will tell.

Speaking of Jones:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-56573

If anybody doesn't think this kid will be shoved down the throats of hockey fans and thru the media, think again. It will be "Crosby after the canceled season" level. The big question is where will he end up? Would Gary Bettman really risk him going to American media purgatory in Alberta, Canada? And if you are willing to keep him out of certain teams hands, would it be that much of a leap to pick his destination? (For the record, yes, I am wearing a giant tin foil hat but is it really that far fetched to think upper management would rig a closed door draft lottery to the benefit of the entire league?)

Old
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
BillDineen

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 3h
Valeri Nichushkin says he likes #Flyers & #Rangers most of all, wants to spend summer in NA to train hard #NHLdraft2013

Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Nichushkin is clearly the wild-card, no doubt.

I don't think it is that much of a stretch to think that Edmonton takes Monahan or Barkov over Nurse--that's the overwhelming perception of their board's fans, for instance, who presumably know something about the team's drafting tendencies and organizational needs.

Anyway, I'm not uncomfortable with Ristolainen either. You draft him, and you pretty much know you have a 3/4 defenseman who can steady a 2nd pairing (in the future) and quarterback a 2nd PP unit. He's probably one of the safest choices in the top-10--but I guess the question is whether the Flyers, who rarely find themselves drafting this high, are best suited to take such a conservative approach. If we're up, and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nurse are all off the board, I think he's our best choice.

Surprising no one.

But, seriously, if we take Shinkaruk or Mantha in the top-10, I'll be a bit disappointed. I know that it is difficult to criticize the organization's drafting when it comes to forwards--and either or both may well end up to be very, very good NHL players. But we know that we need a young defenseman--and this is a chance to cash in on an awful abbreviated season. If a top-tier forward falls to us (like Couturier in 2011), that's a different matter, but I'd hope that they would take Ristolainen (or even Zadorov) over Shinkaruk or Mantha.
i agree, i wouldn't take either in the top 10.

i was just saying that if, for whatever reason, we were in a position where it was between Shinkaruk and Mantha, i'd pick Mantha. I like Mantha a lot, but obviously this teams #1 priority is a defenseman, and if were in the position to pick Nurse, it's a no brainer IMO. After Nurse though, it becomes more murky. I like Ristolainen, but I'm not as high on him as some other people seem to be. I like Zadorov, but i don't see top pairing potential in him. I see him as developing into a slightly more aggressive Braydon Coburn. Pulock is a mystery, his ceiling is probably that of a top pairing OFD, but his floor is a career AHLer... I like Morrissey and Theodore more than Pulock actually, but i see all 3 as being more 'project' type guys, which scares me with our organization.

all in all, I'm still an advocator of doing anything we can to get the #1 overall pick. Overpay, i don't care; i want Seth Jones on this team.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
MP92

Mantha could be our future top line sniper. Mantha-G-Voracek. That would be pretty awesome.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Valeri Nichushkin says he likes #Flyers & #Rangers most of all, wants to spend summer in NA to train hard #NHLdraft2013
The kid seems like he is REALLY motivated. Imagine his level of motivation and excitement if either the Flyers or Rangers draft him.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Mantha could be our future top line sniper. Mantha-G-Voracek. That would be pretty awesome.
welcome aboard friend!

Old
04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
You are referring to his floor right? Ristolainen does have 1st pairing measurables. The question, for all defensemen even Jones and Nurse, is does he have the decision making to be a top pair guy. Only time in the NHL will tell.

Speaking of Jones:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-56573

If anybody doesn't think this kid will be shoved down the throats of hockey fans and thru the media, think again. It will be "Crosby after the canceled season" level. The big question is where will he end up? Would Gary Bettman really risk him going to American media purgatory in Alberta, Canada? And if you are willing to keep him out of certain teams hands, would it be that much of a leap to pick his destination? (For the record, yes, I am wearing a giant tin foil hat but is it really that far fetched to think upper management would rig a closed door draft lottery to the benefit of the entire league?)
I'm sure ideally Bettman and the NHL would want Jones in large US city with a big media presence. I don't think that will happen though.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Mantha in the top 10 is a waste of a pick that high.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Mantha in the top 10 is a waste of a pick that high.
i agree. i love mantha, and i'd be ecstatic if we picked him, but only if we were to acquire another, later 1st. there are more pressing needs and mantha can be had later on in the 1st.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
It would be great if he could get out of that KHL contract.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i agree. i love mantha, and i'd be ecstatic if we picked him, but only if we were to acquire another, later 1st. there are more pressing needs and mantha can be had later on in the 1st.
Honestly, if we truly want a winger, I think we should grab Nichushkin.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, if we truly want a winger, I think we should grab Nichushkin.
yeah, that'd be nice, but he'll likely go in the top 10. the reason I'm advocating mantha is because he's underrated IMO and can be had later on in the 1st after we draft a defenseman, if we were to trade for a second one.

say we had 2 firsts; hypothetically #8 and #18. would you rather pick Nichushkin and say Pulock or Nurse and Mantha? personally, i'd rather have the latter.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Yes, I'm referring to his floor. I think a realistic ceiling is a good #2 rather than a true franchise defenseman (in the sense that he does everything well, but few things exceptionally, and perhaps doesn't have the tools to truly take over a game), but I'd be happy to be proven wrong, assuming that he's wearing the Orange and Black.

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out from the scouting reports, though, is whether RR is considered to be a good skater for his size, or a true "plus" skater--a la Coburn.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Insulin

We're going to win out and win the lottery. We deserve it. Just let something bounce our way.

If we do end up in a position to draft another forward like Monahan or Lindholm, are we mentioning Couturier because we would like whatever forward we draft and Laughton more or is Couturier's value just higher than anybody elses?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It would be great if he could get out of that KHL contract.
I don't see the Flyers drafting Russians in the first round.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to his floor. I think a realistic ceiling is a good #2 rather than a true franchise defenseman (in the sense that he does everything well, but few things exceptionally, and perhaps doesn't have the tools to truly take over a game), but I'd be happy to be proven wrong, assuming that he's wearing the Orange and Black.

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out from the scouting reports, though, is whether RR is considered to be a good skater for his size, or a true "plus" skater--a la Coburn.
Picture Eric Desjardins and you've got Ristolainen.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

I think a lot of people are underestimating Ristolainen and jumping on the hype bandwagon that is Nurse. Nurse could very well end up as a more physical Coburn. His hockey sense is still a bit questionable but his increased offensive output this year and exceptional athletic ability has shot him thru the roof in the rankings. Ristolainen has been ranked as a top 10 pick going on two years now so he bares the burden of being a known entity much like Couturier was. He doesn't have the "wow" factor but he also has been playing against men the last two years, not teenagers. Finland's disastrous world juniors performance didn't help. Ristolainen has all the tools just not the remarkable athletic ability of Jones or Nurse. Any one of those guys could be an elite #1. It all depends on decision making at the speed of the NHL game which can not be replicated and is often a guess by evaluators. That is why so many supposed franchise defensemen end up as unremarkable and so many of the best guys come from the later rounds. Personally I think Ristolainen's floor is a #2 defensemen with the chance, like every other defensemen taken, of being a #1.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
But without any kids to fracture his arm playing catch.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's a very good description but bigger and a little meaner.

Closed Thread