HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Will NHL teams start wearing new jerseys every season?

Old
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Soon...

... eventual primary jersey pattern,

followed by Nascar on Acid...
I loved those. The NHL really needs to endorse them.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I loved those. The NHL really needs to endorse them.
Ya really not bad at all. The Blue Jackets jerseys in particular lookin mighty sharp. Sort of a throwback to the NY/Brooklyn Americans... but for the corporate I.D. of course. Remove that, you'd actually have something quite nice, though already, Columbus has a fantastic jersey exactly as it is, and one of the nicest in the league.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:39 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Soccer kits cost, at most, ~$50. Nobody will buy an NHL jersey every year at the price point they're selling at currently.
God, I wish that was the case for MLS. Replica kits are ~$100 and authentics are ~$130, and that's without any numbering.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Schalkenullvier*

kits have become ****ing expensive

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
northeastern

Is support new thirds every other year or so personally why not

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Soccer kits cost, at most, ~$50. Nobody will buy an NHL jersey every year at the price point they're selling at currently.
$50 on a soccer kit? C'mon Brodie, when? 1974 and a Geordie Best Manchester United #7?. The 5th Beatle was old Georgie. I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted. Fifty quid wouldnt have lasted 15 minutes in a bar with that guy. Besties Beach Club. Hermosa Beach CA. 70's-90's....

Old
04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
kits have become ****ing expensive
Little OT, but why do most(?) German clubs put the player's name under the number and club name above?

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:27 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Didn't realize that teams were the ones broadcasting games and not, you know, the TV stations...
TV stations pay the teams to broadcast the game and have specific advertisement breaks. Then they make money off of the advertisments they sell.

So in theory, teams make cash, TV stations make cash, the advertisers make cash because we buy their items.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
I never get why major sports teams decide to cheapen their brands by dilluting them with someone elses brand? You're talking about a 50+ million revenue business here where branding is fairly important to bring in revenue, so why the hell would you dillute it with some corporate logo? It's like coca-cola sticking an Apple logo ontop of theirs just cuz apple pays them some money? crazy

The European soccer team that figures it out and ditches the corporate sponsorship and instead makes a beautiful jersey with their own logo prominent instead will reap some serious rewards.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
The European soccer team that figures it out and ditches the corporate sponsorship and instead makes a beautiful jersey with their own logo prominent instead will reap some serious rewards.
I think you underestimate how well those not-so-beautiful jerseys sell. Over the last couple of years Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Manchester United have sold more than 1,000,000 jerseys per season. Other clubs are not far behind.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I think you underestimate how well those not-so-beautiful jerseys sell. Over the last couple of years Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Manchester United have sold more than 1,000,000 jerseys per season. Other clubs are not far behind.
Who cares?? Really, this is a hockey board, what does it matter how many soccer shirts are sold in Europe... or anywhere? (Seriously)

I am just fine going through my hockey fan life without ever clicking on a "hockey jersey" thread and then realizing, "oh look, more soccer shirts and stadiums."

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Who cares?? Really, this is a hockey board, what does it matter how many soccer shirts are sold in Europe... or anywhere? (Seriously)

I am just fine going through my hockey fan life without ever clicking on a "hockey jersey" thread and then realizing, "oh look, more soccer shirts and stadiums."
Sorry for ruining your life. There are enough soccer-free threads around, no-one forces you to stick around here if you don't like it.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:

And yet, here you are.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
And yet, here you are.
In a HOCKEY jersey thread. (or so I thought)

There IS a soccer forum here somewhere, I will check it out when I am so inclined.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:

There IS a soccer forum here somewhere, I will check it out when I am so inclined.
Its the business of hockey forum. Discussing the financial structure of other leagues, especially in relation to hockey, is entirely relevant.

I suggest you approach a moderator if you feel so strongly about this issue.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Which is about if jerseys become like soccer kits as in they are redesigned with small changes every year. I can't see why you couldn't bring data about those soccer kits to this discussion.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

The OP immediately and distinctly compared soccer practices to hockey practices. It only makes sense to discuss the merits of both systems.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I know they sell a lot atm anyway, but whoever bucks that trend and tells their insurance company sponsor to get lost and instead puts a beautiful logo on their jersey will rock the sport world and gain tonnes of positive publicity and start a course on building a healthier long term brand. Again if this sponsorship logo is such a no brainer why isn't any real company plastering someone elses logo ontop of their own for a pile of cash? Cuz brand building matters and has its own intrinsic value, something these sports clubs seem to forget.

Honestly if I owned some kind of shady apparel factory in Asia I would be highly tempted to just make knock off non-corporate jerseys myself lol, you could make serious money by giving sports fans what they want; Jerseys with that beautiful Arsenal cannon across the chest not Emerites airlines.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
The OP immediately and distinctly compared soccer practices to hockey practices. It only makes sense to discuss the merits of both systems.
Absolutely. Put everything on the table. CFL, AHL, ECHL, Major Junior & NCAA, NFL, MLB & NBA as well if its relevant. You need to understand & appreciate how others sports & leagues, individual franchises deal with merchandising & jerseys, sponsored or not, purposes of comparison etc etc.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265

I learned mspaint while at Coney Island Community College. Go Whitefish!

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:21 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
I never get why major sports teams decide to cheapen their brands by dilluting them with someone elses brand? You're talking about a 50+ million revenue business here where branding is fairly important to bring in revenue, so why the hell would you dillute it with some corporate logo? It's like coca-cola sticking an Apple logo ontop of theirs just cuz apple pays them some money? crazy

that's a very misguided point of view.

what you fail to understand is why people buy sports jerseys in the first place. its not to look fashionable, its a tribe mentality to show support for your favorite team or player. if the new york rangers wear a jersey with a huge chase logo on it, then the marks will want to wear the same thing the pros wear.

if say, the devils "buck the trend" and wear a jersey free of corporate logos, you wont suddenly have a bunch of rangers fans running out to buy devils jerseys. the fans will wear whatever the team tells them to wear.

there is a much better case to be made that the nhl is missing out on additional revenues by not having jersey sponsors. the real important question is what would those logos be worth in additional revenues.

Last edited by The CyNick: 04-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.
The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Burke the Legend

And how do you build the size & spirit of the "tribe" long term? Not by slapping a Pfizer logo on it.

It may not be as easy to quantify the negative effect vs the positive of a new revenue line, but it is there.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
I know they sell a lot atm anyway, but whoever bucks that trend and tells their insurance company sponsor to get lost and instead puts a beautiful logo on their jersey will rock the sport world and gain tonnes of positive publicity and start a course on building a healthier long term brand.
There have been clubs in England as recently as last season who played without kit sponsors... spoiler alert: they weren't making it rain

And kids jerseys are required to be sold without the sponsors names if the sponsors are betting companies... which also don't fly off the shelves in any appreciable way

point is, the sponsors don't have anything to do with sales

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Tinalera

It already seems already that NHL teams change their jersey every 3-5 seasons (apologies for exaggeration, that's what it seems like). I think that's the reason why the 3rd jerseys seem to have such quick overturn. I do agree with others we aren't far from a small upper shoulder patch for ads in the near future. As far as changing every year or two-my (admittedly totally probably uniformed) speculation is that the economics are a bit different between the two sports-just get the feeling there's a lot more people/money around and being spent (I'm sure there's an economic word for it lol) for Football/Soccer in Europe compared to over here. Soccer in Europe seems to be like NHL in Canada/certain us cities. I mean, if the NHL had every team with a Canadian rabid type fanbase-then yes I could see the economics in play as the NHL would probably be having NFL type of revenues. With that "smaller" economics, I'm not sure the scenario would happen.

I just KNOW I didn't get myself across clearly here and I'm going to pay for it

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Little OT, but why do most(?) German clubs put the player's name under the number and club name above?
well in my team's case (shown above) they only changed it and put the team name above in the off-season. The reasoning was that the club should always be more important than the player, so they put the team name above... I liked it better before honestly:

Why they put the team name on there at all (I know english clubs don't), no idea how it developed.

Quote:

Well jersey ads bring a significant part of revenue, and I don't think brands are diluted in any way.

Imagine a soccer jersey with a team logo on the belly, I wouldn't wear that.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote