HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Nash and Wallace back to Charlotte, Jared Staal to make NHL debut

Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
wasnt it the first home game? or the first game vs pittsburgh? or something like that

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Loosie

Nice classy move by the Canes. With two of the Staals being former Sudbury Wolves (Marc and Jared), I've always followed thier careers. Jared I think rested too much on his family name and some fo the early reports that he was 'the best of the bunch' and unfortunatly never lived up to that hype. Maybe playing with his brothers tonight will spark him to work on his game this summer and become a full-time NHLer.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Nice classy move by the Canes. With two of the Staals being former Sudbury Wolves (Marc and Jared), I've always followed thier careers. Jared I think rested too much on his family name and some fo the early reports that he was 'the best of the bunch' and unfortunatly never lived up to that hype. Maybe playing with his brothers tonight will spark him to work on his game this summer and become a full-time NHLer.
He projects to be a solid 3rd line Power Forward in NHL13. He bounces around in the 74-76 range depending how high you upgrade your coaching.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There actually is a reason not to do that -- it double-shifts at least one of them to start the period and screws up the subsequent line rotations.

The more likely thing is that they get a shift together at the end of the game, if it's not close enough to be worth contesting full-force.
Eric and Jordan started together the first game in Toronto. I'd be stunned if they didn't all start together. Then Skinners line, then Eric with Semin and Tlusty. Fixed 3 minutes into a completely meaningless game.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

There we go. I knew it happened at some point. So the precedent is there with the Staals, even if it wasn't at home.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Jared I think rested too much on his family name and some fo the early reports that he was 'the best of the bunch'
Ya, except that never happened. I can't believe people are still misquoting this as fact all these years later. Their father said JORDAN could be the best of the bunch and it was misquoted and it's just gone from there. I don't think anyone ever thought Jared could even be close to the best of the bunch.

I don't really care that he's playing because the season is done and its obviously just a publicity stunt, but I can't help but feel bad for the guys not named Staal who had to play 4-5 pro seasons down in Albany/Charlotte before even getting a sniff of their first nhl game. Not sure I like the message that sends.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:17 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

For those who care about such things, Sundheim tweeted to Adam Gold that Jared and Jordan's nameplates would both read "J. Staal." Boo, I was hoping to go for the ultra-special "Jo. Staal" jersey when I get a new Canes jersey

04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

@PaulBranecky: Updated math: Jared Staal would be the 20th player to dress for both the Checkers and Hurricanes this season. Which is crazy.

@PaulBranecky: They are: Terry, Sutter, Boychuk, Dalpe, Nash, Gragnani, Welsh, Faulk, Bowman, Wallace, Sanguinetti, Jordan, Bellemore, Blanchard ...
@PaulBranecky: ... Staal, Nodl, Peters, Murphy, Ellis, Muse

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Ya, except that never happened. I can't believe people are still misquoting this as fact all these years later. Their father said JORDAN could be the best of the bunch and it was misquoted and it's just gone from there. I don't think anyone ever thought Jared could even be close to the best of the bunch.

I don't really care that he's playing because the season is done and its obviously just a publicity stunt, but I can't help but feel bad for the guys not named Staal who had to play 4-5 pro seasons down in Albany/Charlotte before even getting a sniff of their first nhl game. Not sure I like the message that sends.
Most of them have already gotten a recall this season though. Bowman, Boychuk, Dalpe, Terry, Blanchard, Brett Sutter... the only guy up front that's been around longer that hasn't hit the NHL yet this year is Samson. That's not to say I wouldn't mind seeing Shugg or Pither getting a look eventually either.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Most of them have already gotten a recall this season though. Bowman, Boychuk, Dalpe, Terry, Blanchard, Brett Sutter... the only guy up front that's been around longer that hasn't hit the NHL yet this year is Samson. That's not to say I wouldn't mind seeing Shugg or Pither getting a look eventually either.
Samson is still out with an Concussion, Pither and Shugg also had late season injuries that would have blocked there call ups.

Old
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Aren't Samson and Pither both injured right now though?

EDIT: thanks Misfit

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
@PaulBranecky: Updated math: Jared Staal would be the 20th player to dress for both the Checkers and Hurricanes this season. Which is crazy.

@PaulBranecky: They are: Terry, Sutter, Boychuk, Dalpe, Nash, Gragnani, Welsh, Faulk, Bowman, Wallace, Sanguinetti, Jordan, Bellemore, Blanchard ...
@PaulBranecky: ... Staal, Nodl, Peters, Murphy, Ellis, Muse
Bowman // Dalpe // Boychuk
Terry // Nash // Nodl
Blanchard // Sutter // Wallace
Muse // Welsh // Staal

Faulk // Sanguinetti
Murphy // Bellemore
Jordan // Gragnani

Ellis
Peters

The Charolina Cherokanes?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Joe McGrath

I think it says to the to this point career AHLer that keeping the Staal family happy is more important to us than you are. Which it is. You could argue about how fair that is until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Bowman // Dalpe // Boychuk
Terry // Nash // Nodl
Blanchard // Sutter // Wallace
Muse // Welsh // Staal

Faulk // Sanguinetti
Murphy // Bellemore
Jordan // Gragnani

Ellis
Peters

The Charolina Cherokanes?
I'd rather see Pete Dawg in Muse's 4th line spot. Need a bigger body there and he fancies himself a good puck handler.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
I know they've gotten a recall before him but look at how much work they had to put in and how much longer they had to play in the minors for. Especially a guy like Terry who was a very good ahl'er but had to play, what? 4-5 seasons in the ahl before getting a game. He deserved a shot before that and now Jared, who I think we can all agree is not very good, is getting a chance because of the name on the back of his sweater.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Samson is still out with an Concussion, Pither and Shugg also had late season injuries that would have blocked there call ups.
Thanks, didn't realize that all 3 were still on the mend. So basically everyone that's healthy is getting a callup.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Aren't Samson and Pither both injured right now though?

EDIT: thanks Misfit
http://www.gocheckers.com/team/lines/

Samson and Shugg just came back. Brendon Nash is still out injured. Which sucks, would have been cool to see him and Riley out there together.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Thanks, didn't realize that all 3 were still on the mend. So basically everyone that's healthy is getting a callup.
More or less, Samson and Shugg just recently came back, Pither is still out. We had 11 out for the longest time.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
We should trade with Minny for Justin Falk

Projected starting lineup next season:

Staal//Staal//Staal
Falk//Faulk

That would be soooooo worth it just to hear Tripp call that shift
Last night was cute as John and Tripp called "Streit to Strait! Strait to Streit! Streit straight to Strait!" or something similar - they had a chuckle, as did I.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I think it says to the to this point career AHLer that keeping the Staal family happy is more important to us than you are. Which it is. You could argue about how fair that is until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't make it any less true.
I think it means "Wallace and Nash would have been unavailable for Checkers Playof games if they stayed up... and Staal is probably not as valuable to the Checkers as these guys in the playoffs, hence Jared "gets" to play with the Canes, but it's really because he's least needed in Charlotte". I don't think it's a explicit thing focused on the family, but that is now a collateral benefit of it all.

More simply "Jared may suck enough to get promoted"

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

In This Thread: People acting like the Canes are in the playoffs and the Checkers were out. If I were a tweener I'd rather be Charlotte and playing for the Calder.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I don't know if players feel the same way:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Just talked to Jared Staal. Said was so excited about news of callup he was shaking a little when he drove back from Checkers practice.

Jared Staal: "You think about all the things you've gone through, junior hockey, minor leagues, to get a chance to play in NHL. ..."

Jared Staal: "It's pretty surreal. I'm exited and a little nervous, too. I just hope I can get a good night's sleep."

Jared Staal: "For me it's been a little different path and a longer road. This makes it all worthwhile. It will be special."

Old
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
In This Thread: People acting like the Canes are in the playoffs and the Checkers were out. If I were a tweener I'd rather be Charlotte and playing for the Calder.
I'll take the NHL game check, thanks. Not to mention its not these guys dream to play in round 1 of the AHL playoffs.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:26 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 50
There's no doubt in my mind that regardless of anything, all of the Staals will play for Carolina some day. Amazing as it might be, the Staals are the Carolina Hurricanes and anyone that so much as questions that reality is someone who just doesn't get it. However from a marketing stand point it is a scheme that appeals to a majority of fans whether or not it actually makes the team better for it.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that regardless of anything, all of the Staals will play for Carolina some day. Amazing as it might be, the Staals are the Carolina Hurricanes and anyone that so much as questions that reality is someone who just doesn't get it. However from a marketing stand point it is a scheme that appeals to a majority of fans whether or not it actually makes the team better for it.
Jared Staal is barely good enough to play in Charlotte.

Is a nice gimmick for a game or two when the Canes are eliminated, but there is very little chance he ever sticks on the big team.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote