HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Active/Changes/Realistic?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Spaling is a very good bottom 6 and penalty killer, can take draws, and will chip in occasional offense. Halischuk is simply a bottom 6 grinder type who is very effective when he plays with the right energy. What's to see through? I don't think there's illusions that either of these guys will be anchoring our first line.

Butler is a top 6 guy who has not been consistent enough to justify top 6 minutes with any of the 3 teams he's played for, and is not nearly complete enough in a bottom 6 role to count on him, especially over a guy like Spaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Spaling and Halischuk are great bottom six players. I doubt they ever develop into second line options, but I think they can both be quality 3rd liners.

Halischuk just needs to remember he is best suited skating hard and playing tough. He got in trouble when he tried to be a skilled player.
This is pretty much my take as well.

A Spaling-Smith-Halischuk 4th line (because we know Goose will be hurt) Looks good to me.

I think 3 of SK, Smith, Yip and Butler need to be replaced. My choice would be Butler, Yip and SK as I still hold a little hope for Smith.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I also do not think Forsberg makes the roster next year, to start anyway.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:54 PM
PFL615

Butler has shown a lot more ability and skill than Spaling has. Spaling has been invisible 98% of the year and since Butler has been given a chance he has shown up and been very noticable. Glad Spaling has woke up in time to try to earn a spot next year though.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Butler has shown a lot more ability and skill than Spaling has. Spaling has been invisible 98% of the year and since Butler has been given a chance he has shown up and been very noticable. Glad Spaling has woke up in time to try to earn a spot next year though.
Butler showed up in the last 7 or so games, prior to that I forgot he was part of the team

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Butler showed up in the last 7 or so games, prior to that I forgot he was part of the team
This. I literally forgot he was on our roster for awhile.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok hon. The last time a fan from another team came in and railed on a Preds acquisition, I made a bet with said person and they made a clown of themselves, literally.

I know how much you HATE clowns so I say this. Wanna make a bet?
Sigh. I was hoping not to have to make this point this way.

It's not that OKT's a Preds acquisition or that he's somehow inherently bad or a team detriment or anything else like that. It's not the player - it's the poster. Wolfy is a confirmed unobjective drooling fanboy when it comes to anything and everything Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. Ask anybody who's ever had OKT on their roster. Or had rumors about their team picking up OKT. Or has been speculated as needing "team toughness". If you're after objective information, he's known to be a Bad Source. He'll sell you on the idea that OKT contributes "team toughness", praise him to the skies on anything and everything, and then pick fights with posters when they notice that OKT isn't doing his job as a defenseman and insist that "team toughness" has been improved and that teammates will be sitting ducks without OKT's badass presence to guard them. He's extremely consistent in this regard - he seems to regard defensive play as being less like preventing pucks in the net and positioning based and more like playing bodyguard to players and this wild-ass theory of his about intimidating the opposition away from wanting to make plays.

Philadelphia fans are the others who are most widely aware of this particular obsession, but there's some Red Wings fans who'll remember as well.

Some of y'all know me pretty well, so you should know I don't like this sort of ad-hominem mishegaas in a debate. I find it distasteful to suggest and don't care for arguments based on it. But I'm not sure how else to make the point at this juncture.

Will OKT be useful to the Preds? I'm not sure. There's a reasonable chance he will be. But Wolfy is not the guy you want making that evaluation.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In a top 6 role Butler might be better, but we don't want Butler in our top 6, I expect better than Butler and Spaling in the top 6.

In the bottom 6 checking line, energy role, Spaling is way better, Spaling is the better pker, I also think Spaling has a far better shot.

I don't think though it will come down to Butler battling Spaling for a spot, they're not the same type of player or even the same position.

It might come down to Buttler versus Beck though, in which that case, Beck smokes him.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
*snip*
Actually I didn't read his post, I know the rep, I was referring to *your* posts where you instantly dismissed OTK as an option.

I'll do the stat analysis of him later like I did with SK but I try not to dismiss reflexively.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Actually I didn't read his post, I know the rep, I was referring to *your* posts where you instantly dismissed OTK as an option.

I'll do the stat analysis of him later like I did with SK but I try not to dismiss reflexively.
As an option for the second pairing? He's less worthy than Hal Gill or Scott Hannan, which should tell you something.

As an option for the bottom pairing, he ought to be fine. Ought to be.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

I have no comments on the Viqsi show.

But I don't think Tollefsen would even bother coming back to the NHL as a bottom pairing guy, he has already turned down offers from the Preds until they finally reached an agreement.

Being captain on his former team in the Swedish Elite League should tell you something about him as a good defenseman and a leader. Lets just wait and see how things work out when he arrives here.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I have no comments on the Viqsi show.

But I don't think Tollefsen would even bother coming back to the NHL as a bottom pairing guy, he has already turned down offers from the Preds until they finally reached an agreement.

Being captain on his former team in the Swedish Elite League should tell you something about him as a good defenseman and a leader. Lets just wait and see how things work out when he arrives here.
And if he said, "Top 4 or I'm not coming over," the Preds would tell him to take a hike. I doubt he's even being guaranteed a roster spot.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Preds don't hand out guarantees. Just like Filly don't do rebounds, Preds don't take ****.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
And if he said, "Top 4 or I'm not coming over," the Preds would tell him to take a hike. I doubt he's even being guaranteed a roster spot.
Now that would be a waste of money, because it's definitely a one-way contract

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
In a top 6 role Butler might be better, but we don't want Butler in our top 6, I expect better than Butler and Spaling in the top 6.

In the bottom 6 checking line, energy role, Spaling is way better, Spaling is the better pker, I also think Spaling has a far better shot.

I don't think though it will come down to Butler battling Spaling for a spot, they're not the same type of player or even the same position.

It might come down to Buttler versus Beck though, in which that case, Beck smokes him.
I agree on Beck. Spaling is better defensively. I do understand they play different roles. Spaling was mentioned woth a list of other players. IMO Butler is better offensively. The eye test shows it and the numbers based on games played proves it.
Trotz said the players on the team are to much alike and we needed size. Who is he talking about if it is not SK, Yip, Hali, Spaling?

Old
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:

Butler in the few games he has played for us, has shown he has a hell of a wrist shot with accuracy. Spaling's shots is terrible. It may have some power, if he has time, but he is about as accurate as Tootoos slapshot.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
dulzhok

I just kinda bashed Nathan Horton as a #3 pick. However, with the limited field free agents, he's someone who I would set sights on.

He's scored 20+ goals the past 6 years (including 2 yrs of only playing 65 games). He's good for 25g, maybe more if he gels with a good play maker (Wilson?).

Probably around $5 million. Good player, but he certainly shouldn't be viewed as any kind of savior.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Butler in the few games he has played for us, has shown he has a hell of a wrist shot with accuracy. Spaling's shots is terrible. It may have some power, if he has time, but he is about as accurate as Tootoos slapshot.
Totally disagree. Spaling has one of the better shots from in close on the team.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Preds don't hand out guarantees. Just like Filly don't do rebounds, Preds don't take ****.
Uuummm Craig Smith?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:13 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Uuummm Craig Smith?
Smith had a damn good camp

Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Totally disagree. Spaling has one of the better shots from in close on the team.
You must be watching a different Spaling.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

why all the love for Horton? He is hurt as much as Gaustad and has mush for a mellon. Everyone forget about that? Or is Horton just the flavor of the week here?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:28 AM
PFL615

Flavor of the week. He does have size and produces on O though.
Stalberg and Bobby Ryan are who i would go hard for. Mason Raymond would be 2nd tier interest.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You must be watching a different Spaling.
Yeah, I guess so. And it's not like we have a team of great shots.

Now his release is slow but he's roofed a few nice ones when he gets time.

We're watching a different Butler too, I guess, cause I don't see him as a NHL regular.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Flavor of the week. He does have size and produces on O though.
Stalberg and Bobby Ryan are who i would go hard for. Mason Raymond would be 2nd tier interest.

I am not sure we will make a big move for a Bobby Ryan and I think Stalberg will end up re-signing with Chicago. Raymond I think will be available and would like to see us go after him. Another one I really like that I think will be out there is Clarke
MacArthur. He is one I really think will be available that I hope we go after.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mason Raymond doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.