HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew LeBlanc playing tonight

Old
04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

vCash: 500
Brandon Pirri can't buy a break it seems. So if Leblanc has 10 points over the next 3 games it'll be "that was great kid see ya next year" and Pirri will continue to sit while Kruger, Bolland, Sharp muddle their way through 2C in the playoffs.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
BronYrAur

It is kind of bizarre. If Hawks need to re-sign LeBlanc I guess they could be getting him in a game or two to show him they are serious about giving him a role with the team next year.

However, given that Bolland and Sharp have been injured of late, it is quite confounding that they wouldn't give Pirri a look over the final three games to see if he could fill in for playoff injuries.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:33 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Im sure the Hawks already know what Pirri will look like and Im sure he'll get his chance next year. Since the Hawks already have LeBlanc on the roster because of the signing terms, they get to see how he'll show in a real game situation.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Pirri is a +11 despite 75 points.

It's a 2 way game, call me when he figures that out.
bolland is supposed to be a defensive whiz and is-7 because he can't contribute **** offensively. I'll take production, a plus rating, and "bad defense" over no production, a minus and"good defense" every day of the week.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

It's Playoff time, Drew Leblanc not eligible, Brandon Pirri don't want to play him, Bolland injured and stinks, Kruger does not do well at 2C, Sharp injured and never plays 2C anymore. What the **** is this team doing?

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Marina
Steve Holt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
It's Playoff time, Drew Leblanc not eligible, Brandon Pirri don't want to play him, Bolland injured and stinks, Kruger does not do well at 2C, Sharp injured and never plays 2C anymore. What the **** is this team doing?
Expecting Kane to continue carrying the second line, probably.

Should be interesting to see how LeBlanc plays though.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:01 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
bolland is supposed to be a defensive whiz and is-7 because he can't contribute **** offensively. I'll take production, a plus rating, and "bad defense" over no production, a minus and"good defense" every day of the week.
I'll take the guy who's a proven NHL player and we know can bring it in the playoffs...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I really don't know why they're not trying out Pirri in case he needs to play in the Playoffs. I think he earned a shot while Bolland is out.

Why try the guy out that can't play in the Playoffs? Makes far less sense than trying Pirri out.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
I'll take the guy who's a proven NHL player and we know can bring it in the playoffs...
I'll take both. Nevermind the most important fact. Bolland is banged up, time to start looking at options for this year, not next year.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
The good news about these two players is that in all likelihood, Dave Bolland is expendable.
Great, we have two guys with 6 combined NHL games so we can trade Bolland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
We have more capable centers than we have roster spots for.
Sure doesn't seem like it. We have Toews, a banged up Bolland playing out of position, a winger on the 3rd line and and an assortment of solid 4th line centers.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Pirri is a +11 despite 75 points.

It's a 2 way game, call me when he figures that out.
Huh? +11 is quite good. Second highest of all forwards on that roster.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Huh? +11 is quite good. Second highest of all forwards on that roster.
A guy with THAT many points shouldn't only be +11. +/- is a very flawed stat, absolutely, but he was on the ice for 75 goals he created, while being unable to do anything about 64 on the other end (plus whatever discrepancy from goals he was out for and didn't get a point on). On the ice for at least 64 goals against in 76 games. That's a ****-ing DISGRACE!

Old
04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
madgoat33

he had 75pts, how many of those were es? i doubt he was on ice for 64 ga. not to mention his net impact is still positive regardless.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:21 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Forgot PP wasn't part of +/-

Either way...this current Hawk team is as strong as they are this year because they keep the puck out of their damn net. Pirri can't contribute to that with the way he currently plays the game.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
A guy with THAT many points shouldn't only be +11. +/- is a very flawed stat, absolutely, but he was on the ice for 75 goals he created, while being unable to do anything about 64 on the other end (plus whatever discrepancy from goals he was out for and didn't get a point on). On the ice for at least 64 goals against in 76 games. That's a ****-ing DISGRACE!
And Stamkos is -9. So what does that make him?

Old
04-24-2013, 05:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
And Stamkos is -9. So what does that make him?
I already said +/- is a flawed stat. It's not usable for comparing players on different teams, IMO.

If anyone here is arguing that Pirri does NOT need to get better defensively before he deserves a shot, than you're kidding yourself.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Since he can't play, this is really a dumb move. Pirri should be the one.
That is what I think as an outsider, also might want to reward the guy that just led the AHL in scoring. Plus he could factor into the playoffs.

In any case excited to see LeBlanc in the NHL, enjoyed watching him when keeping tabs on Wings prospect Jensen. He is quite a player, you will be happy in Chicago. It could be a part of his deal in his contract too, which might explain it. Still think Pirri is the correct move here, but not my team.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:
I already said +/- is a flawed stat. It's not usable for comparing players on different teams, IMO.

If anyone here is arguing that Pirri does NOT need to get better defensively before he deserves a shot, than you're kidding yourself.
But Leblanc is? Please...

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

I wouldn't really call this a 'shot' for LeBlanc. He's not playoff eligible anyway...

Old
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

I must be kidding myself then. What prospect with virtually zero prior NHL experience is a finished product defensively? The only way to get 'better' is to play in the NHL. How many 'offensive' centers are really two way or three zone players. Those are rare. Pirri has nothing left to prove in the AHL.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
EbonyRaptor

Leblanc with 1 goal, 3 assists and +3 tonight against the Oilers, and the Hawks will have found the coveted 2C for the 10 years.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:11 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Leblanc with 1 goal, 3 assists and +3 tonight against the Oilers, and the Hawks will have found the coveted 2C for the 10 years.
You have 500v cash. Bet it.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:

Yes, it's a flawed stat, and you're using it incorrectly.

You can't simply say "Oh he's +11, that sucks" as a flat statement and pass it off as truth. For one, you would be wrong. There aren't a tremendous amount of forwards above +10 on non-playoff teams. More importantly, though, you can't use +/- this way because it is a meaningless stat unless put into context.

Context in this case is a comparison to his teammates. He has the second highest +/- of any forward on Rockford. That is more than acceptable.
The "his defense sucks" garbage has become absurdly overstated. Yes, he's not Toews. Of course, he's not the the defensive disaster that was 07-08 Kane.
It seems as if a number of posters are going to yell "zomg his defense sucks" every time they hear Pirri's name, without ever acknowledging that he may have improved his game this season. I know, I'm just preaching heresy right now. Unheard-of stuff.

He's a scoring forward. He scores points. And Rockford is pretty mediocre. A +11 from a forward on that team - judging by the +/- of the team's forwards in general - is pretty damn solid.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 04-24-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: edited out last part
Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:27 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Yes, it's a flawed stat, and you're using it incorrectly.

You can't simply say "Oh he's +11, that sucks" as a flat statement and pass it off as truth. For one, you would be wrong. There aren't a tremendous amount of forwards above +10 on non-playoff teams. More importantly, though, you can't use +/- this way because it is a meaningless stat unless put into context.

Context in this case is a comparison to his teammates. He has the second highest +/- of any forward on Rockford. That is more than acceptable.
The "his defense sucks" garbage has become absurdly overstated. Yes, he's not Toews. Of course, he's not the the defensive disaster that was 07-08 Kane.
It seems as if a number of posters are going to yell "zomg his defense sucks" every time they hear Pirri's name, without ever acknowledging that he may have improved his game this season. I know, I'm just preaching heresy right now. Unheard-of stuff.

He's a scoring forward. He scores points. And Rockford is pretty mediocre. A +11 from a forward on that team - judging by the +/- of the team's forwards in general - is pretty damn solid.
Agreed. Incredibly solid.

The best forwards out there don't really need to be great two-way players if they're smart enough to keep the puck in the offensive zone with good to average linemates. If you can cycle the puck like the Sedins or Crosby + you'll always have a good +/-.

It's actually kind of funny that Pirri's +/- is so good AND being used to argue he's bad defensively considering where Kruger, Shaw, and Leddy were in terms of +/-

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Taze em

Can we all just get over the Pirri stuff. He is on the big club next year and I'm sure the staff has made that very clear to him.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote