HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 03:39 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Ryan Smith sure does have night hair, tho. Lotta wave.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:52 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

Looks like Team Gretzky, though I'm sure he'd try and find a spot for Kyle Turris in the forward group somewhere.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:

Ryan Smith sure does have NICE hair, tho. Lotta wave.

Correction above.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:24 PM
True Hockey Fan

I would like to see a discussion about the Crosby line. I know that he can play with everyone, but if Neal/Bergeron plays with him, it will change the whole line-up. If Tavares doesn't play with him, where he will play ? Is he capable to be a 3rd-4th line winger ?

I thought that Giroux ans Stamkos could play with Crosby together, but now I think it's highly unlikely. I'm sure that at least one of his two linemates will be a power-forward, physical player. Rick Nash and Eric Staal are players who can definitely play that role. I don't know about Neal. Is he physical / good defensively enough to be compared with Staal and Nash ?

Let's see who has a good chance to play with Crosby:

LW: Nash, E.Staal, Tavares, Hall, Neal, Stamkos, Kunitz
RW: Nash, Neal, Giroux, Bergeron

Nash and E.Staal are no-brainers. Tavares with Crosby, that would be clearly awesome. Taylor Hall has an awesome speed, he could be a great fit too. Giroux and Stamkos could play with Crosby on a power-play.

How does your 1st line look like ?

Hall / Tavares - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Getzlaf - St. Louis
E.Staal - Toews - Sharp
Tavares / Hall - Bergeron - Giroux
13th: M.Richards / J.Staal

I would be pretty ok with this, although the 4th line with Tavares looks more like a scoring line, than a checking-line. Many people will say that Tavares is not a 4th line winger, but I don't think it really matters on team Canada.

Defensemen: (a)

Letang - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
7th: Doughty
8th: Subban

(b)

Keith - Weber
Subban - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Letang / Pietrangelo
7th: Pietrangelo / Letang
8th: Seabrook / M.Staal

Do you think that this roster can be good defensively against the Russians, against the Sedins, Zetterberg etc. ??

Old
04-24-2013, 03:49 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

^^^^

Hi True Hockey Fan:

I don't think you can go wrong up front with what you have. I would keep Mike Richards, Nash and Toews together (from 2010) if you are concerned about the Russians and Swedes. Not sure if I like Sharp on the team.

On the back end, I am not sure about Bouwmeester. He would be my #8 for either A or B.

You did not address our Achilles heel... GOALTENDING!!!

Old
04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
^^^^

Hi True Hockey Fan:

I don't think you can go wrong up front with what you have. I would keep Mike Richards, Nash and Toews together (from 2010) if you are concerned about the Russians and Swedes. Not sure if I like Sharp on the team.

On the back end, I am not sure about Bouwmeester. He would be my #8 for either A or B.

You did not address our Achilles heel... GOALTENDING!!!

The 'goaltending problem' - it's not like we have bad goalies. Actually, you can say that Crawford is now better than Quick (at least statistically). The problem is, that you can say it now, but last year it was a different story. And the next season it could be a nother one as well. It would be great to see some Vezina winner or contender from Canada. You think it is Fleury and suddenly...the Flyers show up. Luongo could be actually a very good goaltender for the olympics. He has experience, he has played some very tough games (2004 World Cup OT semifinal, 2003 and 2004 whc gold medal final, 2010 gold medal final, 2011 Stanley Cup final). It would have been all great, but he's not even the clear number one goalie in his club.

It would be awesome if Reimer, Fleury, Price, Elliott, Holtby or Crawford got MVP this play-offs (or at least play the way we all can be proud of), that's what we need.

This play-offs could change a lot, and I hope it will change a lot. Now, I would go with Price, Luongo and Fleury, but it means totally nothing what I would choose right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
AlexanderTheGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I would like to see a discussion about the Crosby line. I know that he can play with everyone, but if Neal/Bergeron plays with him, it will change the whole line-up. If Tavares doesn't play with him, where he will play ? Is he capable to be a 3rd-4th line winger ?

I thought that Giroux ans Stamkos could play with Crosby together, but now I think it's highly unlikely. I'm sure that at least one of his two linemates will be a power-forward, physical player. Rick Nash and Eric Staal are players who can definitely play that role. I don't know about Neal. Is he physical / good defensively enough to be compared with Staal and Nash ?

Let's see who has a good chance to play with Crosby:

LW: Nash, E.Staal, Tavares, Hall, Neal, Stamkos, Kunitz
RW: Nash, Neal, Giroux, Bergeron

Nash and E.Staal are no-brainers. Tavares with Crosby, that would be clearly awesome. Taylor Hall has an awesome speed, he could be a great fit too. Giroux and Stamkos could play with Crosby on a power-play.

How does your 1st line look like ?

Hall / Tavares - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Getzlaf - St. Louis
E.Staal - Toews - Sharp
Tavares / Hall - Bergeron - Giroux
13th: M.Richards / J.Staal

I would be pretty ok with this, although the 4th line with Tavares looks more like a scoring line, than a checking-line. Many people will say that Tavares is not a 4th line winger, but I don't think it really matters on team Canada.

Defensemen: (a)

Letang - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
7th: Doughty
8th: Subban

(b)

Keith - Weber
Subban - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Letang / Pietrangelo
7th: Pietrangelo / Letang
8th: Seabrook / M.Staal

Do you think that this roster can be good defensively against the Russians, against the Sedins, Zetterberg etc. ??
Bouwmeester? I'm as big a fan of Bo as anybody, but he has to proven himself in the playoffs before I would ever consider having him on the olympic squad. To put him in the same ranks as Letang is just plain silly... Otherwise, good post. I love the inclusions of Jordan Staal, Marc Staal, Mike Richards, and Patrick Sharp, but all these player's inclusions are highly contingent on future performance within the next several months. If Vancouver is any indication, Yzerman will go with whoever's hot at the time.

The issue of where to plug Tavares into the lineup is one that plagues me as well. Too good for the fourth line or checking duties, but not elite on the Crosby-Toews level. Tavares is really a natural centre, so I have him as the interchangable thirteenth forward--this allows Johnny to play on all lines minus the checking and penalty killing units in the events of injury or underperformance.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
WhiteMandingo

Team Canada 2014

Nash Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Toews Giroux
E. Staal Getzlaf Perry
Richards Bergeron Carter
Spezza/Eberle/Seguin/Benn

Keith Seabrook
Doughty Weber
Campbell Burns
Girardi/Pietrangelo/Letang

The reason I have Campbell on there is because he is left handed and if Letang or Pietrangelo were there instead Keith would be our only left handed Dman. If Burns keeps playing forward I doubt he makes the team. I just included him on there because he is big and fast. Letang or Pietrangelo most likely take that spot.

Last edited by WhiteMandingo: 04-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Team Canada 2014

Nash Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Toews Giroux
E. Staal Getzlaf Perry
Richards Bergeron Carter
Spezza/Eberle/Seguin/Benn

Keith Seabrook
Doughty Weber
Campbell Burns
Girardi/Pietrangelo/Letang

The reason I have Campbell on there is because he is left handed and if Letang or Pietrangelo were there instead Keith would be our only left handed Dman. If Burns keeps playing forward I doubt he makes the team. I just included him on there because he is big and fast. Letang or Pietrangelo most likely take that spot.
Eberle over Hall at this point is not happening.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Sorry bro, but Campbell and Burns are not making the team over Letang (especially) and Pietrangelo. Letang is an absolute lock.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:53 AM
WhiteMandingo

I know. Thats why I said they most likely dont make the team.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
WhiteMandingo

And I have Eberle over Hall because of the clutchness factor and because Hall has very low hockey IQ. I live near Edmonton and I watch pretty much every Oiler game and as much as I like Hall he makes alot of boneheaded plays.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:53 PM
86Habs

Heading into the NHL playoffs and World Championships, I'd still want to go to battle in Sochi with this lineup:

Forwards:
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
St. Louis
Tavares
Bergeron
E. Staal
Nash
Giroux
M. Richards
Hall
Getzlaf
Seguin
Sharp

Defence:
Keith
Weber
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Letang
Subban
M. Staal
Hamhuis

Goaltender:
Price
Luongo
Fleury

On defence, the only two guys who I think have a chance to move up into my top 8 are Seabrook and Bouwmeester. I want to keep at least three LHed d-men in the group, so Bouwmeester's inclusion would be at the expense of either Staal or Hamhuis. As for Seabrook, the 5 RHers (Weber, Doughty, Pietr, Letang, and Subban) are IMO locks, so it may come down to a numbers game for him.

Goaltending is still fluid. I still like Price and Luongo for the #1 and #2 spots, while #3 is a toss-up with Fleury, Crawford, Reimer, Holtby, Elliott, and Ward in the mix.

Up front, I like that group a lot. There's nothing really missing in my view in terms of special teams play or components like size, grit, defensive play, versatility, and speed. Some forwards that can do themselves a favour by having a really strong WCs include Ladd, Eberle, Benn, Kane, Jordan Staal, and Duchene. Of the forward group, I'd have to say that Sharp and Richards are the two guys that could get bumped off, but would need to be replaced with a Ladd, Staal or Benn. I prefer Richards and Sharp.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Heading into the NHL playoffs and World Championships, I'd still want to go to battle in Sochi with this lineup:

Forwards:
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
St. Louis
Tavares
Bergeron
E. Staal
Nash
Giroux
M. Richards
Hall
Getzlaf
Seguin
Sharp

Defence:
Keith
Weber
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Letang
Subban
M. Staal
Hamhuis

Goaltender:
Price
Luongo
Fleury

On defence, the only two guys who I think have a chance to move up into my top 8 are Seabrook and Bouwmeester. I want to keep at least three LHed d-men in the group, so Bouwmeester's inclusion would be at the expense of either Staal or Hamhuis. As for Seabrook, the 5 RHers (Weber, Doughty, Pietr, Letang, and Subban) are IMO locks, so it may come down to a numbers game for him.

Goaltending is still fluid. I still like Price and Luongo for the #1 and #2 spots, while #3 is a toss-up with Fleury, Crawford, Reimer, Holtby, Elliott, and Ward in the mix.

Up front, I like that group a lot. There's nothing really missing in my view in terms of special teams play or components like size, grit, defensive play, versatility, and speed. Some forwards that can do themselves a favour by having a really strong WCs include Ladd, Eberle, Benn, Kane, Jordan Staal, and Duchene. Of the forward group, I'd have to say that Sharp and Richards are the two guys that could get bumped off, but would need to be replaced with a Ladd, Staal or Benn. I prefer Richards and Sharp.
Solid team. You have 14 forwards, so as of right now, it is very difficult to see who i would eliminate from that list. I am going back and forth right now but i would leave either Richards or Seguin off that list because they are both Centers, and this team already has enough solid Centers.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
WhiteMandingo

Canada has 3 problems.

1) Almost all of their elite forwards are centermen

2)Almost all of their elite defensemen are right handed

3)Their goalies suck ass. Price and Fleury both suck. Cam Ward used to be good but he's not that great anymore. Luongo sucks. Brodeur will probably retire. This is by far our biggest weakness.

Last edited by WhiteMandingo: 04-26-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Accidentally put left instead of right.
Old
04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Canada has 3 problems.

1) Almost all of their elite forwards are centermen

2)Almost all of their elite defensemen are left handed

3)Their goalies suck ass. Price and Fleury both suck. Cam Ward used to be good but he's not that great anymore. Luongo sucks. Brodeur will probably retire. This is by far our biggest weakness.
Know I now you have no idea what your typing about.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Solid team. You have 14 forwards, so as of right now, it is very difficult to see who i would eliminate from that list. I am going back and forth right now but i would leave either Richards or Seguin off that list because they are both Centers, and this team already has enough solid Centers.
I believe (though not 100% positive) that teams will be allowed to carry 14 forwards and 8 defencemen in Sochi. In terms of those two, Seguin mainly plays RW in Boston (with Bergeron and Marchand), but can play C. Richards plays C in L.A., but played LW on the Toews line in Vancouver. So I don't see any issue with moving Seguin or Richards over to the wing. If indeed the rosters are cut back to 13 forwards, I'd lean towards cutting Sharp. We need Richards' physicality, defensive play, PKing ability, and experience, and I think Seguin would be absolutely lethal on the international ice surface by next winter. Or if Getzlaf had a poor playoff, I wouldn't hesitate to cut him for that matter.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Or if Getzlaf had a poor playoff, I wouldn't hesitate to cut him for that matter.
Plus, he's a ****** bag towards fans when there's no cameras around. Cut him from the team.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Plus, he's a ****** bag towards fans when there's no cameras around. Cut him from the team.
I disagree strongly with the first statement based on my own experience. I agree with the second statement though.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Richard F Schiller
Grandmaster User

vCash: 50
I'll have another go with the end of this season:

St. Louis - Crosby (C) - Stamkos
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Staal - Giroux - Hall
Bergeron - Toews (A) - Nash
Kane / Eberle / Benn / Duchene

Keith - Weber (A)
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Subban - Hamhuis
Letang / Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Say what you want about Price and his recent struggles, but I still believe he's an excellent goaltender (and I'm a Leafs fan).

Old
04-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Mehar

I do not see a lot of love for Jeff Carter, but i have him on my roster. The guy has good size, speed and skill and did finish the year with 26 goals in 47 games and looked impressive in many games this year. He is a straight up finisher and would look good alongside a guy like Crosby. I have him on my team right now, but i do not see him on many other lists? I think this guy definetly should be on the radar for Sochi.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:47 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I do not see a lot of love for Jeff Carter, but i have him on my roster. The guy has good size, speed and skill and did finish the year with 26 goals in 47 games and looked impressive in many games this year. He is a straight up finisher and would look good alongside a guy like Crosby. I have him on my team right now, but i do not see him on many other lists? I think this guy definetly should be on the radar for Sochi.
He's on my radar, but just on the outside looking in for me. In addition to the attributes you mentioned, he's also an effective PKer and can play both center or RW. I have him ahead of others like Perry, Eberle, and Neal, who would probably play similar roles. But, again, Carter has tremendous speed and wouldn't hurt us defensively.

Others may disagree, but he's right there as my #15 or #16 guy, and I'd look to him if a guy like Getzlaf falters in the playoffs.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Mehar

Quote:
He's on my radar, but just on the outside looking in for me. In addition to the attributes you mentioned, he's also an effective PKer and can play both center or RW. I have him ahead of others like Perry, Eberle, and Neal, who would probably play similar roles. But, again, Carter has tremendous speed and wouldn't hurt us defensively.

Others may disagree, but he's right there as my #15 or #16 guy, and I'd look to him if a guy like Getzlaf falters in the playoffs.
He can play the wing so that is why i have him and Getzlaf on my team right now. He was close to making it last time, and in the end the team chose Bergeron over Carter. He was tremendous in the Playoffs last year, and an another repeat
performance will definetly make him a candidate. I seen many LA

Games on my dish, and some of the games i saw, he was absolutely tremendous and dominant utilizing his speed, size and skill in impressive fashion. The Jeff Carter right now playing in LA, is not the Columbus version of Jeff Carter.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Bob Barker

Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
E.Staal-Toews-Nash
M.Richards-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron

Weber-Doughty
Letang-Keith
Pietrangelo-Subban
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury

This is my best shot as of right now. One thing I am adamant on is that Marty St.Louis should make this team. Wasn't a fan of Bergeron in 2010, but I know if I don't put him on, I'll be run out of town.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:28 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
E.Staal-Toews-Nash
M.Richards-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron

Weber-Doughty
Letang-Keith
Pietrangelo-Subban
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury

This is my best shot as of right now. One thing I am adamant on is that Marty St.Louis should make this team. Wasn't a fan of Bergeron in 2010, but I know if I don't put him on, I'll be run out of town.
Great team, buddy. Bergeron definately makes the team. He has been great - especially on face offs.

As long as we don't have a goalie meltdown, this team wins Gold.

Closed Thread