HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

House Cleaning Must Go On This Season Too

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i don't always agree with staples, but he is pretty spot on in this article.... the 10 players he mentioned are clearly, by stat and by eye, the worst players on the team... the group of 8 are also the players that should be looked at for trades, as they are not terrible players and will some at least some trading value.... hemsky + our 1st rounder may land us a top-pairing defenceman for example
But it doesn't look like the chart take into consideration the quality of competition which would make a pretty big difference I think. Zone starts and such. Moreover, you have to look at several years to see the trend. Maybe some players are trending upwards but just had an off season.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Broilers

vCash: 500
UFA Signings

Chicago signed Hossa and Campell long term contracts and they traded for Patrick Sharp. So we need to do something like that too. We should make one big move a year starting from this off season

But we need to replace our bottom10 Whitney, Khabibulin,Smyth... too.We should really consider to make only one year UFA signings. We need to give second chances for the desperate players who are taking pay cuts just for the new chance here.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Chicago signed Hossa and Campell long term contracts and they traded for Patrick Sharp. So we need to do something like that too. We should make one big move a year starting from this off season

But we need to replace our bottom10 Whitney, Khabibulin,Smyth... too.We should really consider to make only one year UFA signings. We need to give second chances for the desperate players who are taking pay cuts just for the new chance here.
Bottom 17?...

Old
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For me, it is time to seriously address Hemsky on the team. While everyone is bashing Horcoff and saying kick him to the street--Hemsky has been worse then Horcoff. Hemsky was the guy who we called our go to guy--but he has not done too much over the past 5 years

HOrcoff has scored more goals than Hemsky over the past 5 years

67 to 63

Hemsky has never been the guy to stand before the media and taken the **** kicking Horcoff has done over the past 5 years-- I think Hemsky and how he handles himself off the ice is rubbing off wrongly on the young players. Atleast Horcoff stands up and takes a beating on a regular basis

time for Hemsky to go
What sheer and utter garbage. Horcoff owes Hemksy half his salary for carrying is ass around for the years before his big contract.

Also according to the stats I am looking at Horcoff has 59 goals in 313 games over the last 5 years where Hemksy has 63 goals in 248 games. And this is not even looking at ice time and pp time which I'm sure horcoff has in spades over him.

Hemsky should for sure be gone along with a half dozen other vets but to pat Horcoff on the ass as usual when comparing to Hemksy is grasping.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:12 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
What sheer and utter garbage. Horcoff owes Hemksy half his salary for carrying is ass around for the years before his big contract.

Also according to the stats I am looking at Horcoff has 59 goals in 313 games over the last 5 years where Hemksy has 63 goals in 248 games. And this is not even looking at ice time and pp time which I'm sure horcoff has in spades over him.

Hemsky should for sure be gone along with a half dozen other vets but to pat Horcoff on the ass as usual when comparing to Hemksy is grasping.
last three season Hemsky and Horcoff have not played that much together

Old
04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
I think we should keep Horky. I don't like his contract, but I'm not the one paying it, so who gives two hoots.

I would like to see Horcoff hand over the C to Hall though. I think that would be an important step in the right direction for the Oilers at this point.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post

Just to expand on that though, the Hawks traded scraps for Sharp, Versteeg, and got Ladd in a hockey deal who all played major roles the Cup winning team. Add in major contributions from Bolland,Keith, Hjalmarsson, Brouwer , and Bufyglien who were all drafted outside the first round, and you have a deep team. IMO, the Oilers need some of those 2nd rounders like Klefbom to contribute.

Most rebuilding teams can't land the premiere UFA's, so its best to avoid that approach. Even the Hawks didn't sign Hossa untilafter they made it to the WCF, and that took a cheater contract to do it.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just to expand on that though, the Hawks traded scraps for Sharp, Versteeg, and got Ladd in a hockey deal who all played major roles the Cup winning team. Add in major contributions from Bolland,Keith, Hjalmarsson, Brouwer , and Bufyglien who were all drafted outside the first round, and you have a deep team. IMO, the Oilers need some of those 2nd rounders like Klefbom to contribute.

Most rebuilding teams can't land the premiere UFA's, so its best to avoid that approach. Even the Hawks didn't sign Hossa untilafter they made it to the WCF, and that took a cheater contract to do it.
Actually, Klefbom is a 1st rounder, but your point is well taken.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I'll go ahead and say this team will not make the playoffs as long as Horcoff remains a part of the roster.

Closed Thread