HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I don't post much anymore, but still read, and was waiting for someone to mention this...

Is there any way to split the genes of our goalie coach as well as CBJ's so we could create a hybrid clone coach?

All jokes aside, I think the tandem of both coaches are the reason for Bob's success. I do remember someone mentioning that about Bob before. Reese did a good initial job with a kid who never really had a goalie coach...and now it seems with the addition of CBJ's goalie coach BOB has rounded out his game and plugged some holes.

I'm hoping the same thing happens with Mason. CBJ's coach gave him one aspect of traning and now hopefully Reese can plug whatever other holes he wasn't able to plug in CBJ. The reason I'm liking/hoping for this theory to work, is because Mason I think has more natural raw talent than BOB. He didn't win the Calder with luck.

Hopefully the two coaching styles can round out his game and allow his natural talent to shine through. If that's the case, a 3rd+Bob+Leighton for a 2nd+Mason will be much better in the end than what we juyst got for BOB.

Thoughts on the two coaching styles effect?
Reese did a good job with Bob's puck handling. Other than that it seems like he completely ignored Bob's glaring problem with going down early and getting beat up high.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-24-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 01:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Reese did a good job with Bob's puck handling. Other than that it seens like he completely ignored Bob's glaring problem with going down early and getting beat up high.
Agree..especially when people were saying his crouching flaw that made him smaller in net was easily fixable...

Old
04-24-2013, 01:10 PM
spudnick

another source:

Quote:
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 1m Q: Do you want to stay here next year? Bryzgalov: (randomly to female reporter) Nice blouse. (long pause) What? (pause) Of course!

Old
04-24-2013, 01:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
another source:
That is better...lol

Old
04-24-2013, 01:13 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Reese did a good job with Bob's puck handling. Other than that it seens like he completely ignored Bob's glaring problem with going down early and getting beat up high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Agree..especially when people were saying his crouching flaw that made him smaller in net was easily fixable...
Yeah what I'm saying is that neither coach may have had the ability to make either goalies real good, but so far it seems Reese+CBJ's coach (dont know who it is) combined may be the reason for Bob's change in play. And could possibly do the same to help Mason.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Yeah what I'm saying is that neither coach may have had the ability to make either goalies real good, but so far it seems Reese+CBJ's coach (dont know who it is) combined may be the reason for Bob's change in play. And could possibly do the same to help Mason.
Personally I think Reese should be shown the door this summer. I think getting out of Philly and getting a chance to start is the main factors in Bob's success. I still think we should have held onto to Bob a little longer but we got good value for him at the time and I'm not certain he would have been playing as well if he was here now.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:20 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Omg, Bryz is a womanizer, lazy, loony, narcoleptic, and a below average goalie to boot. Well, I say we just deport him.

04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Devastate

Does anyone have Mason's stats for as long as he's been a flyer, and Bryz stats for the same period of time?

I'd like to see how they compare to one another.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Reese did a good job with Bob's puck handling. Other than that it seems like he completely ignored Bob's glaring problem with going down early and getting beat up high.
Or maybe, just maybe, Bryzgalov is ignoring his coaching advice. Mason seems to have taken to Reese's coaching and it seems to be paying off. Hell, you can make a case that Reese turned Michael Leighton into a capable goaltender and got the best out of Brian Boucher when no one else could. I really don't think Reese is the problem.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, Bryzgalov is ignoring his coaching advice. Mason seems to have taken to Reese's coaching and it seems to be paying off. Hell, you can make a case that Reese turned Michael Leighton into a capable goaltender and got the best out of Brian Boucher when no one else could. I really don't think Reese is the problem.
I would say our defense had a bigger impact on Leighton and Boucher than Reese. For Bryz I would say he's just not a good goalie and the defense isn't good enough like a couple of years ago to make up for it.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Does anyone have Mason's stats for as long as he's been a flyer, and Bryz stats for the same period of time?

Sure thing. I'll go by starts, and leave out relief. That cuts out a 9 save Mason shutout.

Mason:

3.02, .903
1.03, .952
2.00, .950
3.00, .897
2.00, .951

Bryz, last 5:

3.01, .893
6.00, .750
2.04, .939
3.00, .893
2.02, .933

Going back to 6 games played in, Mason picks up a 9 save shutout and Bryz adds a .820ish performance, which he gave us on the day Mason was acquired.

04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:

Mason:

6 GP, 2.08 GAA, .936 SV%, 160 SV, 171 SA

Bryzgalov

6 GP, 3.00 GAA, .879 SV%, 131 SV, 149 SA, 1 SO

Old
04-24-2013, 01:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Sure thing. I'll go by starts, and leave out relief. That cuts out a 9 save Mason shutout.

Mason:

3.02, .903
1.03, .952
2.00, .950
3.00, .897
2.00, .951

Bryz, last 5:

3.01, .893
6.00, .750
2.04, .939
3.00, .893
2.02, .933
OH lol I calculated Bryz's first 6 games vs. Mason's first 6 games.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
OH lol I calculated Bryz's first 6 games vs. Mason's first 6 games.
Haha, bonus stats are always fun. Between the two of us I'm sure we answered the question.

Edit: What's disturbing about your stat, is those numbers were generated behind a defense much, much better than we currently see. What with Pronger still being around, instead of the Liljas and AHLers of the world.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Haha, bonus stats are always fun. Between the two of us I'm sure we answered the question.

Edit: What's disturbing about your stat, is those numbers were generated behind a defense much, much better than we currently see. What with Pronger still being around, instead of the Liljas and AHLers of the world.
Yeah the worst part is that in his first game, 1 GA 22 saves on 23 shots, 2nd game, 0 GA on 20 SA, then he blew up. 5, 3, 5, 4 GA with .815, .885, .821, .840 in that order.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:47 PM
BillDineen

Bryz interview video:

http://cinesport.philly.com/philadel...th-the-flyers/

Old
04-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Devastate

Quote:

Mason:

3.02, .903
1.03, .952
2.00, .950
3.00, .897
2.00, .951

Bryz, last 5:

3.01, .893
6.00, .750
2.04, .939
3.00, .893
2.02, .933

Going back to 6 games played in, Mason picks up a 9 save shutout and Bryz adds a .820ish performance, which he gave us on the day Mason was acquired.
That's a pretty significant difference. Mason has been the far superior goalie.

On another note. Where has BP1974 been? I haven't seen him in quite some time. I'd like to see his argument for the difference between the numbers.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Go For It

Quote:
That's a pretty significant difference. Mason has been the far superior goalie.

On another note. Where has BP1974 been? I haven't seen him in quite some time. I'd like to see his argument for the difference between the numbers.
It's a 5 game sample size. It means next to nothing.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
It's a 5 game sample size. It means next to nothing.
Oh i know. I'm just saying, in those 5 games he's been the superior goaltender.

I'm not saying we should amnesty bryz, i still think we should keep him next year. But the argument all season was that ANY goaltender would put up numbers comparable to Bryz with our defense and system.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
His glove hand has been good in the sense that he gets a piece of the puck. He just struggles to hold onto to it. I noticed last night he had back to back shots where he had to use his glove hand and couldn't hold on to them. I was at the game and it looked like he was shaking his glove hand off after the first one so I don't know if it stung him initially and that's why he couldn't hold on to the second neither.

While its fun to watch him play like this right now I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. I will say though he has a lot of tools that Bryz simply doesn't have.
i wonder if its due to the glove being brand new, and perhaps not broken in ???

i will say that of his entire body of work, my only worry is his rebound tendency.. but other then that, if he can continue to play as he has. hes got my vote.

in fact i'd let him run with it and see how long he can go, a nice big fat sample of games in a row might really help him find his rookie season performance again.

i could care less what Bryz thinks of the whole situation..

Old
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i wonder if its due to the glove being brand new, and perhaps not broken in ???

i will say that of his entire body of work, my only worry is his rebound tendency.. but other then that, if he can continue to play as he has. hes got my vote.

in fact i'd let him run with it and see how long he can go, a nice big fat sample of games in a row might really help him find his rookie season performance again.

i could care less what Bryz thinks of the whole situation..
The book out on Mason has always been "glove side high". It's a small sample size so far but yes rebound control is the only legitimate gripe with him.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:53 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
WOW, that is very telling. He must want out of Philadelphia bad, and I think most fans want him gone. I hope to god Mason handles the pressures of Philadelphia exactly the opposite if how Bryz handled and still is handling it.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
WOW, that is very telling. He must want out of Philadelphia bad, and I think most fans want him gone. I hope to god Mason handles the pressures of Philadelphia exactly the opposite if how Bryz handled and still is handling it.
Mason's just as mentally fragile as Bryz. He just doesn't have the whacky outgoing personality like Bryz. Once Bryz is gone and if Mason starts to play bad they'll turn on him too. The Philadelphia media have been making a good living off of our ongoing goalie carousel for 20 years now.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I'd like to know why Bryz doesn't seem to have a good relationship with Lavy AND Jeff Reese.

He must not like the stuff they tell him, Bryz is probably stubborn.

Mason seems to be taking in Reese's knowledge and critique and it's working so far.

Albeit: Small sample size, I think Mason will thrive here.... hopefully.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:09 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
If I had to answer Tim P.'s idiotic questions every day I might act the same though.

Closed Thread