HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Age of HF members

View Poll Results: How old are you?
0-10 (you never know...) 4 1.05%
11-20 51 13.39%
21-30 194 50.92%
31-40 65 17.06%
41-50 39 10.24%
51-60 17 4.46%
61-70 6 1.57%
71-80 0 0%
81+ 5 1.31%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Captain Saku

vCash: 500
I'm 28 and been member of the HFB community since 8 years checking the forum for almost every day

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:30 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I'm 28 and been member of the HFB community since 8 years checking the forum for almost every day
I've been here for 5 years but only recently started actively participating and posting.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

I've been here since I started college. Now I know why my life is ruined.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:42 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
I'm the same age as Lafleur, 61. I witnessed 17 Stanley Cup wins and I think I cried in 1960 when we didn't win it, after 5 in a row I thought the cup actually belonged to Montreal. This drought is very hard on me. Last one in 1993 was won on my birthday, best gift ever. I hope to see one more before I go.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I've spent too much time on here...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Do a poll to see how high of hockey level they played or are just armchair experts
I really don't think this matters.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Turning 24 this year.

Been a member for 9 years

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

I've spent too much time on here...
You have? I've been here going on 8 years. I think I started posting here before I joined Myspace or Facebook.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
You have? I've been here going on 8 years. I think I started posting here before I joined Myspace or Facebook.
Same here. Joined here about the time that Facebook was created.

Didn't post that much back then though, my english sucked

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I've read some of your background and - not that you need my confirmation - you've had a very impressive resume of life experiences. But even more impressive than your past is the ability to stay active and healthy in the present into your 80s. You also get bonus points for fencing with 20-year-olds on a message board. You mentioned tennis - my wife's step-father remains a major tennis buff at 75; it's the only thing keeping him from total arterial blockage, considering his eastern European diet of fat-fried fat. Like you, he still aims to keep improving until either his arm or his heart burn out. He's on the courts in Montreal, Stowe and Florida, depending on the season. Wonder if you know him (which would mean I might know you). He's no hockey fan, but he's one of the most interesting people I know; you're probably no slouch yourself.
Thank you, and best wishes to your father-in-law. I suppose the reason I'm not more advanced in tennis is that I took up the game at age 58. My father died of cancer that year, I was depressed, and I needed a new interest to take my mind off it. I signed up for an adult education tennis course and after a few months I switched to a tennis clinic. My progress was uneven. I learned to hit a good forehand but the backhand eluded me. I didn't want to use a two-hander, which all the women favored, so for years I hit only a slice backhand. This irked my instructors but I was stubborn. I maneuvered to get to the net as soon as possible to minimize exposing my backhand in rallies.When I play against old men who like to use drop shots. I frustrate them by being able to reach the ball and dink it over the net, out of reach. I was able to play this way at my age because I was naturally very fast and hadn't developed knee problems. The only concession I've had to make was to stop playing singles because I'd get out of breath too quickly. I'm competitive by nature and when opponents went headhunting while I was at the net I would take racquetball glasses out of my tennis bag (to protect my eyes) and hammer forehands in return. I didn't really want to cause injury, so if the offender's doubles partner tended to hug the net I would warn him off. Occasionally, if the headhunter hit a weak second serve, I might humiliate him by hitting a short return with sidespin in front of him or else lob over his partner's head.

I used to be a tournament chess player but gave up the game the year after I got married because there was no money it and it took up too much time. My style was aggressive. I didn't avoid complications despite not being able to calculate to the end. My younger brother called my approach "gangster chess."

I react negatively to male authority figures. A former colleague of mine termed me "a rebel in a gray flannel suit" because I conformed only outwardly. I was fired a few times in my career but not because of incompetence. I couldn't last on a sports team with a tyrannical coach--not that I was ever good enough to be on one. Did I play hockey? Not really. I didn't skate well and my shot was weak. I get vicarious enjoyment from watching others excel at it. One of my sons played intramural hockey in college. Like his father, he wasn't a good skater.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
Even though I'm a rookie member I've watched a ton of hockey.
I'm 52.
Beat me by one. Turned 51 in Jan. Don't remember any of the cups in the 60's but I remember 71 and every one since

scosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Jordache and Calvin Kleins

From 1980......

Yes I owned Tretorns and Kettle Creek pants and Bass loafers all through highchool as sad as that may be to say lol.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You missed the Richard bothers, Béliveau, Plante, Harvey, Geoffrion, et al. On the other hand, you haven't yet experienced the infirmities of old age. I'm a spry octogenarian but I'm no longer the fastest on the tennis court. One (slight) compensation is that I've finally learned to hit a clean topspin backhand. I hope to develop a more effective serve when I go on vacation in November because there won't be any contemporaries for me to take advantage of.

Maurice Richard remains my all time hockey hero but the greatest player I ever saw was Bobby Orr.
My grandfather used to tell me all about the greats. I relived those days through his stories. They emmigrated to Montreal from England just before WW2 and he was sent back over to serve with the Canadian military. I was lucky enough to live through the great dynasty of the 70s and it has been downhill ever since unfortunatly.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:26 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
My grandfather used to tell me all about the greats. I relived those days through his stories. The emmigrated to Montreal from England just before WW2 and he was sent back over to serve with the Canadian military. I was lucky enough to live through the great dynasty of the 70s and it has been downhill ever since unfortunatly.
My parents came to Canada in the late 80's, they had no idea what hockey was nevermind the Habs. I have the honor of being the first Habs and hockey fan in my family (including extended family).

Old
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
7 years isn't much better

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
My parents came to Canada in the late 80's, they had no idea what hockey was nevermind the Habs. I have the honor of being the first Habs and hockey fan in my family (including extended family).
That is awesome congrats it gets in your soul and it is impossible to shake. My 4 kids are all HABS fans just like my siblings are all HABS fans and my parents and aunts and uncles. My grandparents on my moms side settled in MTL before moving to London Ont.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:34 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
That is awesome congrats it gets in your soul and it is impossible to shake. My 4 kids are all HABS fans just like my siblings are all HABS fans and my parents and aunts and uncles. My grandparents on my moms side settled in MTL before moving to London Ont.
It truly is the greatest sport on earth.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
It truly is the greatest sport on earth.
American football is beautiful too, but I agree there's nothing like Hockey. I've played Football all my life and to a high level(relatively) and Hockey is something else.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

51 and yes i remember the last cup. I cut college classes to watch habs in playoffs and cups when i had night classes. My most favorite cup was when i was dating a flyers fan during the broad street bully days. they had just won 2 cups and robinson put dornhoefer into the boards and broke the boards!! THAT MY FRIENDS WAS THE START OF THE END OF THE FLYERS REIGN OF TERROR AND THE START OF THE HABS REIGN AS CHAMPS

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/sports/...-checks_8.html

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
You missed the Richard bothers, Béliveau, Plante, Harvey, Geoffrion, et al. On the other hand, you haven't yet experienced the infirmities of old age. I'm a spry octogenarian but I'm no longer the fastest on the tennis court. One (slight) compensation is that I've finally learned to hit a clean topspin backhand. I hope to develop a more effective serve when I go on vacation in November because there won't be any contemporaries for me to take advantage of.

Maurice Richard remains my all time hockey hero but the greatest player I ever saw was Bobby Orr.
Are you really 83? That's awesome. That's the upside of a semi-annonymous board like this. A lot of us might not ever talk about hockey or anything in real life, but here, you can argue, agree, sling insults and mend bridges with people who are from completely different generations.

Also, are there really members under 10? Really would like to know who, I'm curious.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
American football is beautiful too, but I agree there's nothing like Hockey. I've played Football all my life and to a high level(relatively) and Hockey is something else.
but but youre not even 10 years old

Old
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
51 and yes i remember the last cup. I cut college classes to watch habs in playoffs and cups when i had night classes. My most favorite cup was when i was dating a flyers fan during the broad street bully days. they had just won 2 cups and robinson put dornhoefer into the boards and broke the boards!! THAT MY FRIENDS WAS THE START OF THE END OF THE FLYERS REIGN OF TERROR AND THE START OF THE HABS REIGN AS CHAMPS

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/sports/...-checks_8.html
Whyyyy Larry... I so want to see him play live

Old
04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Thank you, and best wishes to your father-in-law. I suppose the reason I'm not more advanced in tennis is that I took up the game at age 58. My father died of cancer that year, I was depressed, and I needed a new interest to take my mind off it. I signed up for an adult education tennis course and after a few months I switched to a tennis clinic. My progress was uneven. I learned to hit a good forehand but the backhand eluded me. I didn't want to use a two-hander, which all the women favored, so for years I hit only a slice backhand. This irked my instructors but I was stubborn. I maneuvered to get to the net as soon as possible to minimize exposing my backhand in rallies.When I play against old men who like to use drop shots. I frustrate them by being able to reach the ball and dink it over the net, out of reach. I was able to play this way at my age because I was naturally very fast and hadn't developed knee problems. The only concession I've had to make was to stop playing singles because I'd get out of breath too quickly. I'm competitive by nature and when opponents went headhunting while I was at the net I would take racquetball glasses out of my tennis bag (to protect my eyes) and hammer forehands in return. I didn't really want to cause injury, so if the offender's doubles partner tended to hug the net I would warn him off. Occasionally, if the headhunter hit a weak second serve, I might humiliate him by hitting a short return with sidespin in front of him or else lob over his partner's head.

I used to be a tournament chess player but gave up the game the year after I got married because there was no money it and it took up too much time. My style was aggressive. I didn't avoid complications despite not being able to calculate to the end. My younger brother called my approach "gangster chess."

I react negatively to male authority figures. A former colleague of mine termed me "a rebel in a gray flannel suit" because I conformed only outwardly. I was fired a few times in my career but not because of incompetence. I couldn't last on a sports team with a tyrannical coach--not that I was ever good enough to be on one. Did I play hockey? Not really. I didn't skate well and my shot was weak. I get vicarious enjoyment from watching others excel at it. One of my sons played intramural hockey in college. Like his father, he wasn't a good skater.
I think I already insulted you, damn I feel ashamed.

Quote:
but but youre not even 10 years old
I've played a high level for my age

Old
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Whyyyy Larry... I so want to see him play live
He was a beast. Most guys backed away when he was ready to go.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Lshap

Quote:
He was a beast. Most guys backed away when he was ready to go.
Oh yeah, ain't that the truth! I was at a game where Robinson levelled Bobby Orr into the boards with the exact same style of flying hipcheck that we see Subban using. But Robinson's biggest asset was his ability to grab the puck and control the flow of the game with his size, skill and speed. Helluva player.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote