HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Will NHL teams start wearing new jerseys every season?

Old
04-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
point is, the sponsors don't have anything to do with sales
I'll disagree there, I've passed on buying a kit specifically because of it having a dud primary sponsor.

While living in Aarhus I wanted to get an AGF kit...but there was no way in hell I was going to spend good money on a kit that looked like this:

...even if it was worn by a couple members of the US National Team.

Now I agree that eliminating them and whatnot isn't going to have a huge effect in Europe because they're so desensitized to ads to begin with that it's just taken as a thing. With so little ad space to sell in that sport it's just inevitable, and most European hockey leagues are in the same boat (no commercial time-outs in Finland, for example, which is why the jerseys and ice are cluttered messes). If it's an either/or situation that's fine, but when it's a both situation there are going to be people that get pissed. I have absolutely no issue with MLS teams having ads on their jerseys too, they looked ridiculous in their early years without ads (and there's usually a couple teams that don't have a sponsor each season and they just look plain) because that's just an inevitability with the sport.

Ads on jerseys are inevitable, but anything more than small patches is going to prevent me from buying a jersey. I'm not buying a Penguins jersey with a coal conglomerate's logo getting more prominent positioning than the team logo when I also have to sit through 10 of their damn commercials a game. A Consol patch on the arm? I don't like it, but it's not big enough to make a huge deal out of for me. Just keep the chest and back sacred.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
And how do you build the size & spirit of the "tribe" long term? Not by slapping a Pfizer logo on it.
Whether you and I like it or not: You do build the size & spirit of the tribe, no matter whether Pfizer is on the front or not. You might as well put it on your jersey, it doesn't hurt the tribe anyway. 1,000,000 in a season - don't tell me you think that you can do better than that.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

There have been quite a few times I've been tempted to guy a soccer jersey from one of my favorite national team guys' home squad. Each and every time I've thought it, I've gone looked at the jersey, and passed, entirely because of the ad.

It does affect sales. I'm sorry, but I do not pay to advertize for corporations. If they want to slap an ad on my shirt, they can pay me. Small makers logos? Fine, if they're unavoidable on a garment of that nature (like a hockey jersey- I'll live with the reebok logo). Paid ad space? I'm not ever going to buy your product. If the NHL put ads on jerseys, I would never buy another jersey.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
There have been quite a few times I've been tempted to guy a soccer jersey from one of my favorite national team guys' home squad. Each and every time I've thought it, I've gone looked at the jersey, and passed, entirely because of the ad.

It does affect sales. I'm sorry, but I do not pay to advertize for corporations. If they want to slap an ad on my shirt, they can pay me. Small makers logos? Fine, if they're unavoidable on a garment of that nature (like a hockey jersey- I'll live with the reebok logo). Paid ad space? I'm not ever going to buy your product. If the NHL put ads on jerseys, I would never buy another jersey.
It may affect 100 jersey sales a year, but nothing significant.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

People in Europe said the same stuff ~1980 you know. Which tells me that you'd be shocked how much you'll stop caring once you adjust to seeing it

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:02 AM
jekoh

Quote:
The European soccer team that figures it out and ditches the corporate sponsorship and instead makes a beautiful jersey with their own logo prominent instead will reap some serious rewards.
To ditch the corporate sponsorship is one thing but to make the team logo prominent?

I know I'm not buying a football shirt with a prominent team logo.

Most people in Europe and elsewhere either don't mind the corporate sponsorship or are traditionalists who would want their club teams to have a shirt like the one in my avatar, in any case they're likely to find a prominent team logo butt-ugly.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
I know they sell a lot atm anyway, but whoever bucks that trend and tells their insurance company sponsor to get lost and instead puts a beautiful logo on their jersey will rock the sport world and gain tonnes of positive publicity and start a course on building a healthier long term brand. Again if this sponsorship logo is such a no brainer why isn't any real company plastering someone elses logo ontop of their own for a pile of cash? Cuz brand building matters and has its own intrinsic value, something these sports clubs seem to forget.

I don't think this is correct. Periodically some clubs find themselves without a sponsor for whatever reason, and not only do the jerseys all of a sudden look weird because the sponsor is conspicuously absent, they find themselves at a competitive disadvantage because there's a gap in their finances.

Barcelona for a while was actually paying to keep the Unicef logo on its shirt, the idea being that it would boost Barcelona's image to associate itself with such a charity. Now they have scrapped that and are getting paid huge money to advertise something else (not sure what without looking it up).

I personally own a lot of soccer jerseys... maybe around 15 or so, and I have to admit I'm usually kind of embarrassed by the sponsor on the front. It's not the sponsor per se, but the fact that very few of them actually have cool names/logos.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

I've considered buying kits because I liked the sponsor

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post

I suppose the question is whether they lose more money by people passing on buying the jersey because of the ad than they take in from the sponsorship. And I think the answer is no, otherwise they'd get rid of the advertising.

MLS is a good example... they had no jersey advertising for what, at least 10 years? The fact that they allow jersey advertising now clearly indicates that it's better for their bottom line.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I don't see soccer jerseys as comparable at all. The ad isn't competing for attention with a huge team crest in the middle of the chest.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Aren't we being raked through the coals enough as fans? I mean an upper bowl seat is $80 and who really wants a personalized jersey anymore when great players don't even put in 10 years with their team anymore.

I get that teams have to make money too but how about cooler practice jerseys. For the Pens they can do....

Crosby's line wearing the 80's yellow
Malkins line wearing mid 70's blue
Sutters line wearing the late 90's jersey
Vitale's line wearing something unique like a trial jersey

Then just mix it up every once in a while. With the lesser price tag, they would fly off the racks and have that cool factor too. If teams want to put ads on those jersey's go right ahead.... just open up practices to the public 100% of the time.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 425
Or you could, ya know, put your own name on it instead of wearing someone else's jersey.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Pilky01

Soccer kits have never been about the design, or the crest/logo, or unique striping, as North American uniforms are. Soccer kits are just about the colours. That is why they have ads, and that is why they 'update' the uniform almost every season.

Manchester united is red-white-black
Chelsea is all blue
Liverpool is all red
Man City is sky blue
Celtic wear green hoops
Milan wear black and red stripes

The specific design, logo, or crest are simply not as important in football as they are in hockey. Its just about the colours and the basic layout.

Last edited by Pilky01: 04-26-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Kesselology
License to Phil

I always thought it would be cool if a team wore short sleeve jerseys and no hockey socks. Maybe the Brooklyn Hipsters could pull it off.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
I always thought it would be cool if a team wore short sleeve jerseys and no hockey socks. Maybe the Brooklyn Hipsters could pull it off.
... why not just go full on? Skins vs. Jerseys?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote