HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Do they deserve to be in the HHOF?

Old
09-08-2006, 03:59 PM
BM67

vCash: 500
A note of correcton:

Quote:
Over the eleven seasons that followed, Mohns became an anchor on the Bruins' defense with his blueline partner, Fernie Flaman. Mohns' mobility and puckhandling skills made him a fan favourite with the Boston crowd. In 1959-60, he became only the second rearguard in NHL history to score 20 goals in a single season.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=13754

Doug Mohns played forward as well as D, so maybe he really shouldn't be counted, but none the less he is regarded as the second defenseman to score 20 in a season.

He is another boarderline guy worthy of discussion.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Mahovlich/Vanbiesbrouck-This isn't the hall of very good.
Yes, but Lemaire is in. He played on the top Habs line for 5 or 6 years (Cournoyers before Lafleurs) and still only has 70 more points career wise than Big Pete in a few less games. And Pete was picked for Team Canada 72 and 76. Lemaire - nuthin'.

I bet you think Lemaire was something special.

It was Pete who fed Lafleur; Lemaire I swear would always look for his own shot (usually wide) on a 2 on 1. He never headmanned it to Flower either. Just watch some old games. It was Pete who had 82 assists next to Shutt/Lafleur. Lemaire was a non factor in Lafleurs success - look at 1978/1979 when Jacques was injured.

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Yes, but Lemaire is in. He played on the top Habs line for 5 or 6 years (Cournoyers before Lafleurs) and still only has 70 more points career wise than Big Pete in a few less games. And Pete was picked for Team Canada 72 and 76. Lemaire - nuthin'.

I bet you think Lemaire was something special.

It was Pete who fed Lafleur; Lemaire I swear would always look for his own shot (usually wide) on a 2 on 1. He never headmanned it to Flower either. Just watch some old games. It was Pete who had 82 assists next to Shutt/Lafleur. Lemaire was a non factor in Lafleurs success - look at 1978/1979 when Jacques was injured.
When did I mention Lemaire? If you want to debate, then debate, don't side track. And it's a moot point now as Lemaire is HHoF worthy as a coach.

09-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
1. Was the top penalty killer on Cup winning teams in Montreal and one of the best in the league from 71-78. Excellent defensively.
He was not. The top penalty killing centers in the dynasty years were Jarvis and Lemaire.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 09-09-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Hextall and Martin Brodeur are the two best puck-handling goalies I've seen play.

I think a guy with overrated puck-handling ability is DiPietro; he makes too many mistakes/gaffes to be considered an elite puck-handling goalie IMO, despite his pure talent in the area.
I'd add Barrasso. When he came to Ottawa for the end of a season and one round versus the Leafs I had never seen a goalie like him. He was the best stickahndling and passing goalie I have ever seen live. He was unbelievable, a magnitude of difference from all Sens goalie before and since. One of the key measures of his play was utter decisiveness. He made a choice and did it. No second guessing or doubt at all. The Sens D-Men never really got used to it.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Sens Rule

As to Vernon making the Hall of Fame. To me someone who watched his whole career he isn't a Hall of Fame type goalie. When he played I never thought he would make the Hall of Fame. He didn't have that cache that some goalies have. If you look at his career numbers you could well make a case for him. But he was not feared like some goalies were. Rarely or never was he though of one of the top 3 or 4 goalies in the NHL. That is the biggest case against him. In Detroit when he won the cup it was thought during the season that Vernon would be their weakness come playoff time. He wasn't but the attitude surrounding players in their careers has to matter in Hall of Fame voting. I would not put him in. Though I would not be upset if he made it.

Richter had that cachet of a great goalie deserved or not for around 5 seasons. Hextall had it in his rookie year and for another few years. Barrasso had it from his rookie year through the Pens cup wins. Beezer had it for 3 years or so in Florida and for at least a year or 2 in New York.

Honestly I think more goalies should make the Hall of fame. They are the most important players on almost every team and if Hextall, Moog, Richter, Beezer, Vernon, Barrasso all eventually made the Hall of Fame considering some of the previous selections it might not be a bad thing. Joesph too.

But of all of them I think Barrasso has the best case for selection.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Hawker14

none. can't speak to the fairly anonymous oldtimer on the list, but i won't be sitting around in 30-40 years telling my grandkids how great any of these guys were. none are hall of fame material.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
What's your thoughts on all of them?
I can't comment on Hollett, and I'd say no to the rest of the group.

Also regarding Hextall and "God Bless Canada"'s comment about him in the 89 playoffs against the Pens: ....

Hextall was injured and Kenny Wreggt came in and was brilliant in the game 7 affort in Pittsburgh ... the last hurrah for the Howe, Propp, Poulin, Kerr, teams of the 1980's.

Hextall was just too inconsistant. Could be great and then terrible.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:44 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
When did I mention Lemaire? If you want to debate, then debate, don't side track. And it's a moot point now as Lemaire is HHoF worthy as a coach.
Calm down. Just asking if you think Lemaire was very good in your opinion or a HoFer?

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote