HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette article on rookie tourney

Old
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Chet-Nick

vCash: 500
Gazette article on rookie tourney

Anyone here subscribe to the Gazette on-line? Today's (Sunday 10th) article deals with the game versus the Panthers rookies. Can someone post/paste it? I went to the game yesterday and want to see what Hickey has to say. Thanks.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
mcphee

Chet, I took a quick read this morning and had the impression that Hickey wasn't in Toronto, and just filled in around a wire story. There was a little article about Desjardins that had little to say other than he's played big games before and Melancon and Timmins think highly of him. There was acommnet about the Dogs having an interesting situation with Danis,Halak and Desjardins competing for 2 jobs.Nothing was said to show the org's plans just stuff we already know.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Chet-Nick

Pat Hickey is in Toronto. I saw him in the media booth typing away and sitting next to Dominick Saillant (Media Relations). Gainey, and his management team, were sitting at the opposite side of the Ricoh in a private box.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:55 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Chet, I took a quick read this morning and had the impression that Hickey wasn't in Toronto, and just filled in around a wire story. There was a little article about Desjardins that had little to say other than he's played big games before and Melancon and Timmins think highly of him. There was acommnet about the Dogs having an interesting situation with Danis,Halak and Desjardins competing for 2 jobs.Nothing was said to show the org's plans just stuff we already know.
Is it me or the Gazette hockey coverage is a bit wonky? Even if I'm francophone, I tried the 6 months free delivery special a while ago [gotta have that english perspective, right?] and wasn't satisfied at all by the coverage.

I take a look sometimes at the sport sections of the Gazette and the Globe and Mail at coffee shops and I am often amazed on how little they cover hockey when you compare them with La Presse or Le Journal de Montreal...

Some days they might have La Presse-like coverage but more often than not it looks like the Devoir's sport section.

Is there not good pulp english canadian coverage outside of the hockey news?

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 10:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Is it me or the Gazette hockey coverage is a bit wonky? Even if I'm francophone, I tried the 6 months free delivery special a while ago [gotta have that english perspective, right?] and wasn't satisfied at all by the coverage.

I take a look sometimes at the sport sections of the Gazette and the Globe and Mail at coffee shops and I am often amazed on how little they cover hockey when you compare them with La Presse or Le Journal de Montreal...

Some days they might have La Presse-like coverage but more often than not it looks like the Devoir's sport section.

Is there not good pulp english canadian coverage outside of the hockey news?
I'm pretty down on the English print coverage. I get amused by the odd comment about biase in the paper, becuase I find there isn't enough content to have any leaning one way or the other. Hickey does day to day stuff, and while I kind of like the guy, he isn't a plugged in pure hockey guy like Brunet for example. He knows a bit about a lot, but isn't what a hockey mad city needs imo.

Todd's column I'll leave alone because I have such low personal regard for the guy, I ignore him. I like Fisher for his writing style and overview, plus, like it or not, he's part of the history of the team in some ways. He at 80, doesn't travel much and has a limited presence. They do a weekly where are they now, with Dave Stubbs [I believe] that I enjoy, but again, has no relevance to this year's playoff chances.

Being the only English paper, they have no one pushing them, yeah I remeber the Star. I agree with you, the coverage is weak.

Chet, I get the early edition so sometimes I get chopped down accounts of games. I had the impression he wasn't there, obviously I'm wrong. Maybe the later edition had more in depth stuff.

Last edited by mcphee: 09-10-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: age realted typo
Old
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'm pretty down on the English print coverage. I get amused by the odd comment about biase in the paper, becuase I find there isn't enough content to have any leaning one way or the other. Hickey does day to day stuff, and while I kind of like the guy, he isn't a plugged in pure hockey guy like Brunet for example. He knows a bit about a lot, but isn't what a hockey mad city needs imo.

Todd's column I'll leave alone because I have such low personal regard for the guy, I ignore him. I like Fisher for his writing style and overview, plus, like it or not, he's part of the history of the team in some ways. He at 80, doesn't travel much and has a limited presence. They do a weekly where are they now, with Dave Stubbs [I believe] that I enjoy, but again, has no relevance to this year's playoff chances.

Being the only English paper, they have no one pushing them, yeah I remeber the Star. I agree with you, the coverage is weak.

Chet, I get the early addition so sometimes I get chopped down accounts of games. I had the impression he wasn't there, obviously I'm wrong. Maybe the later edition had more in depth stuff.
Well, I greatly respect Fischer but I found there weren't a whole lot of him in any given week. Coming from a La Presse family in my youth, I was exposed to their coverage for about 20 odd years. I still had to read the Journal de Montreal to get my hockey fix because they sometimes didn't get enough coverage in La Presse (a one page blurb is weak by my standard).

While I find that La Presse has better quality (Brunet, Gagnon...) I really have the impression that the JDM make that extra step to go fetch these hockey crunchy bits. They put out so much volume that you really get the feeling that if its in the news they are going to talk about it (In the sense that they talk about everything that La Presse talks about + a ton of opeds... PCs article, supported by both mediums, helps a lot in equalizing the field).

I find it a bit sad that there is such an obvious lack of output from the english side. I read so much nowadays (La Presse, Le Journal de Montreal, RDS, Sportsnet, TSN, The Hockey News, CH Fans, Habsworld, Hockey's Future, the Gazette, listen to RDS, TSN, Sportnet, the NHL network, 110%, CKAC, Team 990) that I still prefer volume to any other coverage (I feel I can filter out the bad bits from the pure volume... I can't filter out info I don't have from the "low output but quality" mediums...)

I know I used to listen to "The Habs this week" on the CBC before the saturday's broadcast (5 o'clock) but I haven't had a chance to catch them since the lockout. I don't even bother with the vanilla news reports because I can usually get better coverage on other shows.

What is really missing IMO is an english written outlet that focuses on volume from an english perspective and an english tv round table (30 mins to 1 hour) like "Au dessus de la melée" or "110%". Its a good thing Team 990 took the "english CKAC" path and I'd like to see more in other mediums. You really can feel the difference between CKAC and Team 990 if you listen to them both and its a good thing IMO. More is better.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:25 AM
mcphee

Capt., I get frustrated with media coverage because I always get the feeling that it should be or could be better. Maybe what I want, isn't that big a demographic, so who cares.

I like the Saturday show that Reusch does, Habs this week, or is it Sports 360 now ? They don't go for showmanship and do a nice job of having balanced perspective. The Team 990 does a good job, or at least a better job, imo. Having Casavant on in the morning offers a type of perspective that might not be available anywhere else on a daily basis. They do give more blanket coverage than they used to, so I agree that more is better. I wish the more was individually better though. Stock, while a likeable guy, doesn't quite get the big picture yet, in the way a balanced host should. I cringe quite often while he's on. Their resident hockey fanatic, Marinaro is ok, but frankly, we have 100 posters with less acess but more cohesive opinions. What they do well is incorporate experts into the schedule. Melnick is imo, the best interviewer I hear on radio by a wide margin, and will get a better segment than others do from Pierre McGuire. The morning guys have McKenzie and Brophy, so it's well covered.

You know, I like sports radio. Before the Team, I'd listen to CKAC, or late night insomnia time, I'd put on the NY station, The Fan. Since the Team, I've pretty well limited my listening, because frankly, it's easier. I get their reception better during the day. CKAC at some point changed their schedule and I've lost touch with who's on when. On the road, Ottawa's sports show is good, last week in Toronto, I admit to listening to Bill Watters on the Leafs lunch, and the show wasn't horrible. I , as you can imagine, get a kick out of the curmudgeeonly old guy telling old stories.

We agree on the low output in print on the English side, I've voiced this for years. As far as round table discussion, yeah, I'd like more but is television the necessary medium ? I think the Team does something in the winter on Friday afternoons. They have 3 or 4 guys in studio to debate issues around the league. I don't often hear it because in the winter I lose signal at about 5.30. There is a decent level of media talent on the English side, and I think it can be better utilized, but where ? After getting info. from RDS/TSN, daily radio, hf, the day gets pretty full. For example, I'd imagine Mtl's Global outlet has sports guys, but I couldn't name one.

The thing I like on the English media side is that they do a good job of incorporating Francophone media into their shows, getting the more balanced perspective. So, in the end, I agree that there isn't the quality volume of info. on one side, [and I don't mean 'side' that way,] there's as much as I'll ever have time to listen to.

Old
09-10-2006, 01:07 PM
znk

What I like about the team 990 is we hear interviews with players/hockey personalities that dont speak french. Stuff you never hear on CKAC. It's really fun to have Souray talk for 20 minutes or Brian Burke do the same.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:34 PM
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
DESJARDINS IMPRESSIVE IN DEBUT

STOPS 30 OF 31 SHOTS DESPITE LARGER NETS

PAT HICKEY THE GAZETTE

TORONTO – Larger nets? They weren’t a problem for Canadiens goaltending prospect Cédrick Desjardins yesterday because he didn’t think about them.
“Rollie (goaltender coach Melanson) told me to focus on the puck and I tried to be aggressive and not worry about what was behind me,” Desjardins said when asked how he coped with a net that is six inches higher and eight inches wider than the regulation National Hockey League nets. And cope he did, stopping 30 of 31 shots to lead the Canadiens rookies to a 5-1 win over the Florida Panthers.
It was an impressive performance for the 20-year-old, who backstopped the Quebec Remparts to the Memorial Cup title last year.
While Desjardins wasn’t drafted, his play yesterday wasn’t a surprise to Melanson or director of player personnel Trevor Timmins.
“He’s played a lot of big games over the past two seasons and I knew that he would play big in this situation,” Melanson said. “He’s been in the last two Memorial Cup finals with Rimouski and Quebec and he’s a big-game goaltender.”
Desjardins is in an interesting position. He signed an American Hockey League contract, which means he should be starting the season with the Hamilton Bulldogs. But the Bulldogs already have two goalies in place.
The top spot belongs to Yann Danis, who started last season in Montreal as José Theodore’s backup. No. 2 is Jaroslav Halak, who was promoted from Long Beach, Calif., of the ECHL midway through last season and might have been the Bulldogs’ best goalie during the last six weeks of the season. He was 7-6-0, but had shutouts in three of his 13 starts, a 2.25 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage.
“One of the reasons we signed him is that we want competition on our team and it should be quite a battle in Hamilton,” Timmins said. “All three guys in Hamilton are competitors.”
Desjardins said he wasn’t worried about the competition, citing the experiences of Sébastien Caron, who won a job with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Martin Houle, an undrafted goalie who emerged as the No. 1 netminder in the American Hockey League last season.
Desjardins had little work in the first period as the Habs grabbed a 2-0 lead after outshooting Florida 12-6. But the Panthers put more pressure on him and finished the game with a 31-29 edge in shots.
The only player to beat Desjardins was Dan Collins, who scored in the third period when Florida was enjoying a 5-on-3 advantage. It was one of three two-man advantages for the Panthers, but the Canadiens killed off the other two.
Five players scored for the Canadiens. Mathieu Aubin and Matthew D’Agostini each scored their second goals of the tournament, while Sergei Kostitsyn, Ben Maxwell and Guillaume Latendresse also scored.
The win evened Montreal’s record at 1-1 and all but assured the Canadiens of a berth in the tournament final Tuesday. They are expected to win their remaining game in the round-robin tomorrow night against the York University Lions.
Notes – Defenceman Mathieu Carle is on the sidelines with a stiff neck after being levelled in the opening game against Toronto Friday. Carle, a second-round pick in June, also needed stitches to close a facial cut. ...
Tough guy forward Eric Neilson hasn’t been cleared to play in the tournament. He’s still recovering from back surgery in May.

and this is the picture: http://ee.canada.com/Repository/geti.../Pc0300100.jpg

jazzyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What I like about the team 990 is we hear interviews with players/hockey personalities that dont speak french. Stuff you never hear on CKAC. It's really fun to have Souray talk for 20 minutes or Brian Burke do the same.
Your avatar rocks

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 06:15 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Your avatar rocks
Thx man. It's a work in progress.

Old
09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypopsiclemelts View Post
DESJARDINS IMPRESSIVE IN DEBUT

Notes – Defenceman Mathieu Carle is on the sidelines with a stiff neck after being levelled in the opening game against Toronto Friday. Carle, a second-round pick in June, also needed stitches to close a facial cut. ...
Tough guy forward Eric Neilson hasn’t been cleared to play in the tournament. He’s still recovering from back surgery in May.

and this is the picture: http://ee.canada.com/Repository/geti.../Pc0300100.jpg

finaly news about Carle.

Last edited by montreal: 09-10-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old
09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Thx man. It's a work in progress.
Can't wait to see the next one... ne précipites pas les choses!

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote