HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Jim Coleman Conference 2nd round - Québec vs. Baltimore

Old
04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Jim Coleman Conference 2nd round - Québec vs. Baltimore

All-Time Draft #7 Division Winner and Quarter Finalist
All-Time Draft #8 Division Winner and Semi Finalist
All-Time Draft #9 Division Winner and Finalist
All-Time Draft #10 Division Winner and Semi Finalist
All-Time Draft #11 Division Winner and Quarter Finalist
All-Time Draft #12 Division Winner and Champion
All-Time Draft #13 (2010) Division Runner-Up
All-Time Draft #14 (2011) Division Runner-Up
All-Time Draft #15 (2012)

Les Nordiques de Québec

(1972-1995)

General Manager: DaveG & EagleBelfour
Head Coach: Peter Laviolette
Assistant Coach: Father David Bauer

Richard Martin - Mark Messier - Bill Cook
Sid Smith - Eric Lindros - Didier Pitre
Alf Smith - Fred Stanfield - Gordie Drillon
Mel Bridgman - Michal Handzus - Stan Smyl
Art Chapman
Orland Kurtenbach

Jack Stewart - Babe Siebert
Frantisek Pospisil - Leo Boivin
František Tikal - Ron Greschner
Gilles Marotte

Tom Barrasso
Eddie Giacomin

Powerplay:
Mark Messier - Gordie Drillon - Bill Cook
Babe Siebert - Didier Pitre

Richard Martin - Sid Smith - Eric Lindros
Fred Stanfield - Frantisek Pospisil

Penalty Kill:
Mark Messier - Michal Handzus
Jack Stewart - Frantisek Pospisil

Babe Siebert - Mel Bridgman
Leo Boivin - Frantisek Tikal

vs.

Baltimore Blades

Head Coach: Pat Burns

Cy Denneny-Bobby Clarke (C)-Rod Gilbert
Dean Prentice-Adam Oates -Peter Bondra
J.P. Parise-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham
Ryan Smyth-Jonathan Toews-Milan Hejduk

Spares:Gerard Gallant (LW), Alexander Almetov (C)

Tim Horton (A)-Jan Suchy
Craig Hartsburg-Red Horner (A)
Steve Smith-Phil Russell
Spares: Doug Bodger (D), Dave Langevin (D)

Roy Worters
Evgeni Nabokov

Special Teams:

PP 1: Cy Denneny-Adam Oates-Rod Gilbert-Jan Suchy-Peter Bondra
PP 2: Ryan Smyth-Bobby Clarke-Milan Hejduk-Craig Hartsburg-Tim Horton

PK 1: Dirk Graham-Bobby Clarke-Tim Horton-Red Horner
PK 2: Dean Prentice-Brent Sutter-Jan Suchy-Phil Russell

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:57 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
After Bryan Trottier vs. Mark Messier, Bobby Clarke vs. Messier!

Good luck to the Baltimore Blades, I will analyse this series in the next few days.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good luck to Quebec in this series, will take a look at the forward matchup today.

04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
After Bryan Trottier vs. Mark Messier, Bobby Clarke vs. Messier!
And now Sherwood stock is up and world deforestation is occurring at a record pace.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
And now Sherwood stock is up and world deforestation is occurring at a record pace.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
EagleBelfour

After a hard fought, 7 games, battle against the University of Nanooks and Guy Lafleur/Chris Pronger, the Baltimore Blades will now face the Québec Nordiques, who went through the first round in 5 games.

1st line:

Bobby Clarke vs. Mark Messier. Well, if that's going to be another dandy to watch! Cy Denneny is a great offensive talent, getting passes from a fantastic playmaker, but he's up against and even bigger offensive machine in Bill Cook. The other matchup is Rod Gilbert & Rick Martin. I always founded Rod Gilbert a tad overrated, and unworthy of his usual placement in the draft. I guess the same could be said with Rick Martin, who's the weaker player of the two, no question. Overall, it's two powerful & well assembled first line. Can I give the Nordiques a 'tiny' advantage here, on the fact of a strong Messier-Cook destroying duo? Ok, maybe I shouldn't. It's a very even matchup.

2nd line:

Adam Oates is an elite playmaker on an ATD second, while Eric Lindros is a another superior second line centre, who brings fantastic brute force and offensive skills. In the playoffs, give me the guy that will hurt physically and offensively. Am I bias saying that? Perhaps. Sid Smith vs. Peter Bondra is a matchup of non-physical forwards who were excellent at scoring goals. Sid Smith brings a well more rounded game, but against Peter Bondra, how hard id it to be more well-rounded? Dean Prentice is a great 2nd line glue guy, always been a fan. However, Didier Pitre is just a better player. Faster, stronger (not physical, mind you). A better offensive player who can hurt you with one of the hardest wirst shot of All-Time. Good defensively. I definitely prefer the Nordiques second line, a favorable matchup for them.

3rd line:

Will the Blades will try their luck at home to play their defensive third line against the Nordiques first? I wouldn't be surprise. There's no way to compare two such different third line. What I can say that the Nordiques wouldn't mind that 3rd line vs. 1st line matchup, as we believe JP Parise would be completely mismatched by Bill Cook, while Mark Messier would have the best of Brent Sutter.

With that in mind, Brent Sutter is a good 3rd line defensive centre, as Dirk Graham on the right side. JP Parise brings some intangible and hard work on the left side. The Nordiques holds far more talent on their line. Gordie Drillon is a bonafide ATD scoring machine with speed. Alf Smith is an elite 3rd liner who brings a truckload of intangibles and fear. Fred Stanfield is a decent 3rd liner with decent playmaking abilities. No question in my mind that the Nordiques do own a far superior 3rd line, although they play different roles.

1st pairing:

When I made my regular season of the Baltimore Blades, I was vocal that I really liked their first pairing, but now that we play against each, I think it's a sub-par duo ... You know I'm kidding! Tim Horton is a fantastic, rock-solid, defensive defenceman with decent offensive output. He's flank by smallish, but offensively talented Jan Suchy. They work great together. The Nordiques have a botton #1 defenceman in BJ Stewart, another rock-solid defenceman, and Bebe Siebert, who brings a good all-around game with grit. Especially in the playoffs, I'll take Siebert over Suchy, but Horton vs. Stewart is no contest.

2nd pairing:

Never been a huge fan of Red Horner and his position in the draft. We was absolutely fearless and physical. Your scared when that guy is on the ice. But what else? Is that enough to select this penalty machine with the other elite #3 defenceman? Craig Hartsburg was a good rushing defenceman when he was not injured. With Jan Suchy already having a short prime and oft-injured by his reckless shot-blocking and Red Horner who will end on the penalty bench more often than any other defenceman in the draft, having another oft-injured defenceman might be a problem for the Blades. For the Nordiques, Frantisek Pospisil is an elite #3 defenceman, VERY close to Jan Suchy in term of talent and achievement. He's flanked by Leo Boivin, a good defensive defenceman who's arguably the hardest body-checker of All-Time. No contest on this one, and a huge advantage for the Nordiques.

Goaltender:

Edge to the Blades. Roy Worters is a middle of the pack goaltender in this draft, and although he doesn't have any playoff experience, I still think he would of fare well in crunch situation. It would be dishonest for me to question is playoff experience, when I believe he would of been adequate. Tom Barrasso is good playoff goalie, but a step under Worters.

Coach:

Well, Pat Burns couldn't ask for a better captain in Bobby Clarke. Who would be his scapegoat? My guess is Rod Gilbert. Anyway, Pat Burns was fabulous to get the best of his players the first 2-3 years. In this formal, and with team team at his disposition, I think he would do pretty well. Laviolette is an offensive coach that have his kind of team in front of him. Burns is better though.

Special Team:

The Nordiques hold a clear edge on the PP, while the Blades in on PK (I'm in a hurry, sorry for this short description!)

Can't wait to argue this series, good luck Tony, you have a very nice team assembled

Old
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Goaltender:

Edge to the Blades. Roy Worters is a middle of the pack goaltender in this draft, and although he doesn't have any playoff experience, I still think he would of fare well in crunch situation. It would be dishonest for me to question is playoff experience, when I believe he would of been adequate. Tom Barrasso is good playoff goalie, but a step under Worters.
I flipped through Trail's playoff writeups about the Americans looking for info about Schriner and came away impressed by Worters. Coleman doesn't cite his work, but most games he said Worters played very well or was the star of the team.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I flipped through Trail's playoff writeups about the Americans looking for info about Schriner and came away impressed by Worters. Coleman doesn't cite his work, but most games he said Worters played very well or was the star of the team.
In the very limited he played in the playoffs (9 games) Roy Worters did very well IMO. I remember one game where he lost 1-0 in OT after being badly outshot. I mean, what else can he do?

Old
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
In the very limited he played in the playoffs (9 games) Roy Worters did very well IMO. I remember one game where he lost 1-0 in OT after being badly outshot. I mean, what else can he do?
What a choker, all he had to do was score one goal.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Again Baltimore is looking forward to a well thought out argument here with Quebec. Quebec is a very tough team but not unbeatable.

Let's look at the matchups line by line:

Forward Line 1:

Cy Denneny-Bobby Clarke-Rod Gilbert vs. Rick Martin-Mark Messier-Bill Cook

Comments: First off let me say that Messier and Cook together is going to be quite scary and give teams cold shivers, it was my plan to play them together last year so I'm intrigued by this combination. I think that Clarke will do his darndest to stop them and I think that him and Denneny together with their offense should counter any damage Messier and Cook would do. As to the individuals on each line I think that Cy Denneny's goal scoring should help the Blades out a lot here. Clarke will serve 2 roles here: Feed him the puck and also battle Messier and Cook. Rod Gilbert will also chip in with good offense. As to the Nordiques Rick Martin is a decent enough goal scorer but he is going to be the weak link of the 1st line for the Nordiques (Which is no shame being with Messier and Cook). Mark Messier is of course Mark Messier, the guy was someone I got lots of praise for when I drafted him last year, he's a great leader and should do well for your team. Bill Cook is a great goal scorer. As you said both 1st lines are quite good.

So here's how I see it.

Denneny > Martin
Clarke > Messier
Gilbert < Cook

Advantage: A slight 1 to the Blades, still your 1st line is extremely talented, the 1st line match should be a great 1 to watch.

2nd Line:

Dean Prentice-Adam Oates-Peter Bondra vs. Sid Smith-Eric Lindros-Didier Pitre

Comments: Another even matchup here. Prentice vs.Smith features a very good glue guy vs. a very good goal scorer. Being that I went with more of an offensive 2nd line, I expect Prentice to draw the defensive assignments for the 2nd line for the Blades. Sid Smith will be the goal scorer on your 2nd line, solid guy for a 2nd line. Adam Oates and Eric Lindros present 2 different styles of play. Oates is the supreme playmaker while Lindros is the supreme power forward. A healthy Lindros was among the game's best, the thing was can he stay healthy? That's a big question here. Pitre and Bondra are offensive guys who probably won't do much else. I can see why people would criticize Bondra but I think that his playing with Oates will bring out the best in him.

So here's how I see it:

Prentice < Smith
Oates > Lindros
Bondra < Pitre

Advantage: Slight 1 to the Nordiques

3rd Line:

Gerard Gallant-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham vs. Alf Smith-Fred Stanfield-Gordie Drillon

Comments: Lineup change here for the Blades. We'll slot in the ultra-tough Gerard Gallant here to draw matches vs. tough lines. Alf Smith is the glue guy of this line, he's not as physical as Gallant is but he's better offensively. Solid matchup. Brent Sutter offers a good 2 way game, I expect him to play more of a defensive game though here. Fred Stanfield's an excellent play maker. Dirk Graham's one of the better 3rd line right wingers in this, Gordie Drillon will give your team a great goal scorer, how he does vs. Graham should be interesting.

How I see it.

Gallant < Smith
Sutter>Stanfield
Graham=Drillon

Advantage: Blades if we're going with the definition of what a 3rd line should be, personally I think my 3rd line and 4th line match up similarly and the same goes for your 4th and my 3rd line.

4th Line:

Ryan Smyth-Jonathan Toews-Milan Hejduk vs. Mel Bridgman-Michal Handzuz-Stan Smyl

Comments: On a team that might be the meanest in the ATD it makes sense that you would draft Mel Bridgman. It was between him and Toews for me when I picked Toews. Bridgman's a solid player. Ryan Smyth is gritty himself and a good goal scorer. Jonathan Toews is one of the better 2 way centres in the league today, he's a guy who's only going to get better. Handzuz offers a good 4th line game and little else IMO. Better to have someone like that on your 4th line than your 1st line. Milan Hejduk will give my 4th line another goal scorer. Smyl is a good energy guy for your team late in games.

So here's how I see it:

Smyth< Bridgman
Toews> Handzuz
Hejduk<Smyl

Advantage: Quebec

I'll debate the defense tomorrow, looking forward to debating this series further with both Eagle and Dave.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
EagleBelfour

Let's argue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Again Baltimore is looking forward to a well thought out argument here with Quebec. Quebec is a very tough team but not unbeatable.

Let's look at the matchups line by line:

Forward Line 1:

Cy Denneny-Bobby Clarke-Rod Gilbert vs. Rick Martin-Mark Messier-Bill Cook

Comments: First off let me say that Messier and Cook together is going to be quite scary and give teams cold shivers, it was my plan to play them together last year so I'm intrigued by this combination. I think that Clarke will do his darndest to stop them and I think that him and Denneny together with their offense should counter any damage Messier and Cook would do. As to the individuals on each line I think that Cy Denneny's goal scoring should help the Blades out a lot here. Clarke will serve 2 roles here: Feed him the puck and also battle Messier and Cook. Rod Gilbert will also chip in with good offense. As to the Nordiques Rick Martin is a decent enough goal scorer but he is going to be the weak link of the 1st line for the Nordiques (Which is no shame being with Messier and Cook). Mark Messier is of course Mark Messier, the guy was someone I got lots of praise for when I drafted him last year, he's a great leader and should do well for your team. Bill Cook is a great goal scorer. As you said both 1st lines are quite good.

So here's how I see it.

Denneny > Martin
Clarke > Messier
Gilbert < Cook

Advantage: A slight 1 to the Blades, still your 1st line is extremely talented, the 1st line match should be a great 1 to watch.
- I think Messier and Cook, together, is a stronger duo than Bobby Clarke and Cy Denneny. Especially come playoff time, I don't think Bobby Clarke holds anything on Mark Messier. I see them as doing just as much damage, a flat equal. Bill Cook, the fantastic goalscorer, leader, strong as an ox, do own a clear advantage on Cy Denneny, also a fantastic goalscorer, but a step below Bill Cook in most regard.

- So Clarke will singlehandedly feed passes to Denneny while countering Mark Messier & Bill Cook? Bobby Clarke is a fantastic hockey player, but no super human. Just being able to counter Mark Messier while being the great playmaker that he is would be quite an accomplishment, something that he will have is hand full.

The way I see it:

Clarke = Messier
Denneny < Cook
Gilbert > Martin

I don't see how the Blades holds an advantage on the first line, really. I think I was very fair by saying it was a wash.

Quote:
2nd Line:

Dean Prentice-Adam Oates-Peter Bondra vs. Sid Smith-Eric Lindros-Didier Pitre

Comments: Another even matchup here. Prentice vs.Smith features a very good glue guy vs. a very good goal scorer. Being that I went with more of an offensive 2nd line, I expect Prentice to draw the defensive assignments for the 2nd line for the Blades. Sid Smith will be the goal scorer on your 2nd line, solid guy for a 2nd line. Adam Oates and Eric Lindros present 2 different styles of play. Oates is the supreme playmaker while Lindros is the supreme power forward. A healthy Lindros was among the game's best, the thing was can he stay healthy? That's a big question here. Pitre and Bondra are offensive guys who probably won't do much else. I can see why people would criticize Bondra but I think that his playing with Oates will bring out the best in him.

So here's how I see it:

Prentice < Smith
Oates > Lindros
Bondra < Pitre

Advantage: Slight 1 to the Nordiques
- Who's on the Blades will hurt Eric Lindros? Bobby Clarke will have his hand full with Mark Messier. On that second line, no one should scare Lindros, it should actually be the under way around for Adam Oates and Peter Bondra, who should be scare to be devastated by a punishing hit from #88. Red Horner is the only player Lindros should genuinely watch.

- Ayayaye: Pitre is an offensive guy that bring nothing else? Where are you picking this up? Pitre is a fantastic offensive player. Although he do have great stats, they don't even paint the whole story, as we was use at defence on and off for so long during his career. He own one of the best and most powerful wristshot of All-Time, he played good defence & although not a physical player, he was strong as an ox, very difficult to outmuscle him. To top that, he owned fantastic wheel, a very fast player. Didier Pitre holds a lot of intangible, and a matchup between Pitre and Bondra is a significant advantage for the Nordiques.

How I see it:

Oates = Lindros (as a #2 C, with weaker competition, give me Lindros)
Prentice = Smith (I'm surprise you give the edge to Sid Smith. He's very underrated at #34X, and the better goalscorer, but Prentice brings far better intangible to the table)
Bondra << Pitre (Huge difference in talent & effectiveness)

It's a clear advantage to the Nordiques IMO

Quote:
3rd Line:

Gerard Gallant-Brent Sutter-Dirk Graham vs. Alf Smith-Fred Stanfield-Gordie Drillon

Comments: Lineup change here for the Blades. We'll slot in the ultra-tough Gerard Gallant here to draw matches vs. tough lines. Alf Smith is the glue guy of this line, he's not as physical as Gallant is but he's better offensively. Solid matchup. Brent Sutter offers a good 2 way game, I expect him to play more of a defensive game though here. Fred Stanfield's an excellent play maker. Dirk Graham's one of the better 3rd line right wingers in this, Gordie Drillon will give your team a great goal scorer, how he does vs. Graham should be interesting.

How I see it.

Gallant < Smith
Sutter>Stanfield
Graham=Drillon

Advantage: Blades if we're going with the definition of what a 3rd line should be, personally I think my 3rd line and 4th line match up similarly and the same goes for your 4th and my 3rd line.
- You're mixing up the assignment, as your LW will play against my RW and vice versa. Slotting the extra tough Gerard Gallant to play against Gordie Drillon might be a decent idea, but will he ever be able to catch him?

- Alf Smith not as physical as Gerard Gallant? I'm very unsure about that. Alf Smith is an elite third liner in this draft. A great offensive talent, good playmaker, fantastic playoff performer, but recognize as the roughest SoB of his time. No question that Alf Smith is the best player of both third line. Dirk Graham will have the assignment of checking him, good luck to him!

- Talking about Dirk Graham: one of the better 3rd liner in this draft? Let's take a look: Cecil Dillon, (Dave Taylor), (Eric Nesterenko), (Ron Ellis), (Tony Amonte), (Pie Mackenzie), Claude Provost, (Claude Lermieux), Ed Westfall, Larry Aurie, (Igor Liba), (Jerry Toppazzini), (Blair Russel), (Tod Sloan), Danny Gare, Vladimir Vikulov, Gordie Drillon, (Johnny Peirson)

There's very few elite 3rd liner in this draft, but there's plethora of guys that I consider in the same group. Some play different style of play, so it's hard to judge, but I counted 18 3rd line RW (didn't look at better 4th liner) that are clearly better or in the same group. You want to call Dirk Graham above average? Definitely. One of the best? No.

- The two best forward of the six are own by the Nordiques, this is a big win for the Nordiques

Graham << Smith
Sutter > Stanfield
Gallant <<< Drillon (Very unfair matchup in term of skills)

Old
04-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
- Who's on the Blades will hurt Eric Lindros?
Horton and Horner

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Horton and Horner
If the Blades wanna put Tim Horton on the ice against Eric Lindros, be my guess. I understand that during a game they will play against each other, but Eric Lindros will mostly have to watch Red Horner, which should be by any means is assignment.

With that in mind, the Blades definitely have more players that should be scared of Eric Lindros than Lindros have players on the Blades to be scared of.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Great points I say to Eagle Belfour. Good to see a good argument in a series, I'll debate the defensemen when I get home from work. Also it should be noted that Phil Russell, should he get shifts vs. Lindros, is another player Lindros should worry about.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Great points I say to Eagle Belfour. Good to see a good argument in a series, I'll debate the defensemen when I get home from work. Also it should be noted that Phil Russell, should he get shifts vs. Lindros, is another player Lindros should worry about.
When I have time, I'm always ready to argue in a civilize manner

I think there's too much focus on 'Eric Lindros worrying about physical player'. Yes, Lindros did got his head down on Scott Stevens and got his socks knocked out. Couldn't stay healthy afterwards. But now it seems the conversation has turn into: poor little Lindros should play sheltered minutes against non-physical player so he could play at his potential. Why do I feel this is completely wrong? Eric Lindros, one of the greatest machine of hockey, a tower of strength, a player that everyone was scared to play against around the league, should worry about a #6 defenceman? You wanna play Phil Russel against Eric Lindros? I'll take this matchup everyday of the week & twice on Sunday.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:43 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Now time to debate the defense

Pairing 1:

Tim Horton/Jan Suchy vs. Jack Stewart/Babe Siebert

Comments: One of my team strengths is my 1st pairings both Horton and Suchy are pretty good defenseman and will make for a good pairing. Horton's going to get a lot of assignments against the physical Nordiques players, a role that I'm sure he'll handle well. Jan Suchy will be our #1 offensive option on defense. The Nordiques first pairing offers Jack Stewart, a great hitter in his day and Babe Siebert, who will play the Tim Horton role on your team. Again it's a solid pairing that should play its role well.

Here's how I see it:

Horton>Siebert
Suchy>Stewart

Advantage: Blades

Pairing 2:

Craig Hartsburg/Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil-Leo Boivin

Comments: Hartsburg and Horner offers the classic offensive defensive battle. Still they're matched up here vs. a really good 2nd pairing. Hartsburg was such a good offensive defenseman and he could have been so much better had it not been for injuries. Going against Boivin won't help him much here but I expect the best for Hartsburg. Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil is a great battle between 2 hard hitting defensemen.

How I see it:

Hartsburg<Boivin
Horner<Popisil

Comments: A clear advantage here to the Nordiques, you guys have a really good 2nd pairing, good job.

3rd Pairing:

Steve Smith/Phil Russell vs. frantisek Tikal/Ron Greschner

Comments:

I've always been a fan of Ron Greschner, the guy is probably 1 of the better 3rd pairing offensive defensemen in this. 1 question though is what kind of defensive game does he play? Because he's matched up here vs. Steve Smith and while Greshcner might be Smith's better offensively Smith seems to be better than him in a lot of other ways. Tikal and Russell is a good battle of 2 physical defensemen.

How I see it:

Smith>Greschner
Russell<Tikal

Advantage: Goes to the Blades, it's close though.

Looking forward to a rebuttal here. I'll debate the goalies, coaching and special teams tomorrow.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
EagleBelfour

I really like the way we handle this series: you write something down on a part of our confrontation, some back & forth rebuttal, and then move on to something else Let's keep it up that way!

Quote:
Now time to debate the defense

Pairing 1:

Tim Horton/Jan Suchy vs. Jack Stewart/Babe Siebert

Comments: One of my team strengths is my 1st pairings both Horton and Suchy are pretty good defenseman and will make for a good pairing. Horton's going to get a lot of assignments against the physical Nordiques players, a role that I'm sure he'll handle well. Jan Suchy will be our #1 offensive option on defense. The Nordiques first pairing offers Jack Stewart, a great hitter in his day and Babe Siebert, who will play the Tim Horton role on your team. Again it's a solid pairing that should play its role well.

Here's how I see it:

Horton>Siebert
Suchy>Stewart

Advantage: Blades
Not much to disagree on that. Tim Horton is a key of the Blades success, and a difficult defenceman to play against. He's paired up with Jan Suchy, a great offensive defenceman with decent defensive skills.

My only qualm is the ranking, it should read:

Horton > Stewart
Suchy =< Siebert

Suchy is a very talented defenceman, moreso than any of the Noirdiques defenceman, but he's got a very short prime, with a bunch of unimpressive season after his accident. Babe Siebert got a productive career as a LW, and a fantastic (just as good IMO) prime as a defenceman. It's close, but give me Babe Siebert. Horton is a better defenceman than Jack Stewart, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Pairing 2:

Craig Hartsburg/Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil-Leo Boivin

Comments: Hartsburg and Horner offers the classic offensive defensive battle. Still they're matched up here vs. a really good 2nd pairing. Hartsburg was such a good offensive defenseman and he could have been so much better had it not been for injuries. Going against Boivin won't help him much here but I expect the best for Hartsburg. Red Horner vs. Frantisek Popisil is a great battle between 2 hard hitting defensemen.

How I see it:

Hartsburg<Boivin
Horner<Popisil

Comments: A clear advantage here to the Nordiques, you guys have a really good 2nd pairing, good job.
Nothing I can disagree with this. Pospisil was a hard-hitting defenceman, but also someone that could pinch offensively. A very good package of a defenceman.

Quote:
3rd Pairing:

Steve Smith/Phil Russell vs. frantisek Tikal/Ron Greschner

Comments:

I've always been a fan of Ron Greschner, the guy is probably 1 of the better 3rd pairing offensive defensemen in this. 1 question though is what kind of defensive game does he play? Because he's matched up here vs. Steve Smith and while Greshcner might be Smith's better offensively Smith seems to be better than him in a lot of other ways. Tikal and Russell is a good battle of 2 physical defensemen.

How I see it:

Smith>Greschner
Russell<Tikal

Advantage: Goes to the Blades, it's close though.

Looking forward to a rebuttal here. I'll debate the goalies, coaching and special teams tomorrow.
Actually, Frantisek Tikal is our #5 defenceman, Ron Greschner #6. For me, Tikal is the best defenceman of the bunch, he brings a lot of great qualities on the table, an underrated European defenceman. At ES, I would also take Steve Smith over Ron Greschner. Greschner was a great PP player, but at ES he was decent, but nothing special. I will agree that Smith brings more to the table. We were flip-flopping to put Gilles Marotte into the lineup, since we don't even use Greschner on the PP ... maybe next round if we can go through this one

Old
04-27-2013, 09:25 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
About how I see things as well EB. Tikal is most definitely the anchor of the #3 pairing, and likely will stay that way regardless of who he's paired with. As you suggested it may be a good idea to swap out Greschner with Marotte for this series since Grech isn't being used as a PP specialist.

This one will likely come down to a battle of depth. I think Quebec's physical nature would give the team a bit of an edge here, but Clarke can easily get opposing players off their game via his own chippyness as I well know from having him last season. Clarke vs Messier is probably one of the most interesting matchups of the ATD this year, two of the only high end centers in this with the ability to run the #1C spot on ES, PP, and PK. Though having Oates on the #1 PP instead is the right call, not utilizing him in such a manner would be wasteful IMO. But overall I think Quebec just brings too much depth to the table in this series.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Goaltending:

Roy Worters/Evgeni Nabokov vs. Tom Barasso/Ed Giacomin

Comments: Worters is the best goalie in this series. As I've said in other instances he's a goalie that I think, had he not been stuck on bad teams, would have been regarded on a much higher level. He's going to be a goalie that should steal some games for the Blades. Tom Barasso's a lower end #1 goalie in this but he's still pretty good, his temperament matches your team quite well. Barasso's not as good as Worters but he's still pretty good. Nabokov is a mid level #1 who won't play much due to the presence of Worters but he won't leave our goaltending in dire straits should Worters get injured. Ed Giacomin's pretty good and might be the best backup in the league this year.

So here's how I see it:

Worters>Barasso
Nabokov<Giacomin

Advantage: A close 1 here to Baltimore mainly due to the presence of Roy Worters

Coaching:

Pat Burns vs. Peter Laviolette/Fr.David Bauer

Comments: In drafting Pat Burns, I got a coach who got the most out of his players. I think Burns and Clarke will get along great the same as Burns and Gilmour did in real life. I think both coaches are going to get the most out of their lineups which will make for a good battle.

How I see it:

Burns>Laviolette

Advantage: A close 1 to the Blades here but neither team willl be hurt by its coaching.

Special Teams:

Due to the toughness of your team I expect there will be a good many power play opportunities for your team. Denneny and Bondra should be the beneficiary of many of Oates passes. The 2nd power play unit for the Blades is pretty good with the net presence in Smyth, the playmaker in Clarke and the goal scorer in Hejduk. Horton and Hartsburg will look good on the defense's back end. The Blade's PK should be pretty good as well. I like your special teams unit but think Greschner should be there on the power play and think Messier should be on either the 2nd PP unit or 2nd PK unit to prevent tiredness as I am doing with Clarke.

Final Thoughts: Looking forward to seeing how this series turns out, while Quebec has the toughness advantage I think this series is close enough in other areas to ensure it'll be a close series, good luck to you guys in this series.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:42 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Goaltending:

Roy Worters/Evgeni Nabokov vs. Tom Barasso/Ed Giacomin

Comments: Worters is the best goalie in this series. As I've said in other instances he's a goalie that I think, had he not been stuck on bad teams, would have been regarded on a much higher level. He's going to be a goalie that should steal some games for the Blades. Tom Barasso's a lower end #1 goalie in this but he's still pretty good, his temperament matches your team quite well. Barasso's not as good as Worters but he's still pretty good. Nabokov is a mid level #1 who won't play much due to the presence of Worters but he won't leave our goaltending in dire straits should Worters get injured. Ed Giacomin's pretty good and might be the best backup in the league this year.

So here's how I see it:

Worters>Barasso
Nabokov<Giacomin

Advantage: A close 1 here to Baltimore mainly due to the presence of Roy Worters
Exactly. Really not much to add, other that I think Nabokov is definitely a below-average backup, if not one of the worst in the draft. Giacomin would be the best backup in this draft, other than perhaps Rogatien Vachon. Does it matter much at this poin? Nah!

Quote:
Coaching:

Pat Burns vs. Peter Laviolette/Fr.David Bauer

Comments: In drafting Pat Burns, I got a coach who got the most out of his players. I think Burns and Clarke will get along great the same as Burns and Gilmour did in real life. I think both coaches are going to get the most out of their lineups which will make for a good battle.

How I see it:

Burns>Laviolette

Advantage: A close 1 to the Blades here but neither team willl be hurt by its coaching.
Nothing to add on this. Fair assesment.

Quote:
Special Teams:

Due to the toughness of your team I expect there will be a good many power play opportunities for your team. Denneny and Bondra should be the beneficiary of many of Oates passes. The 2nd power play unit for the Blades is pretty good with the net presence in Smyth, the playmaker in Clarke and the goal scorer in Hejduk. Horton and Hartsburg will look good on the defense's back end. The Blade's PK should be pretty good as well. I like your special teams unit but think Greschner should be there on the power play and think Messier should be on either the 2nd PP unit or 2nd PK unit to prevent tiredness as I am doing with Clarke.

Final Thoughts: Looking forward to seeing how this series turns out, while Quebec has the toughness advantage I think this series is close enough in other areas to ensure it'll be a close series, good luck to you guys in this series.
To make it simple: I think the Nordiques own a decent advantage on the PP compared to the Blades, while the Blades owns an advantage on the PK. On your inquiries:

- The Nordiques have a plethora of talented offensive player to use on the PP, and it's hard to fit Ron Greschner on the blueline. He was a great PP quarterback, but was he better than Babe Siebert? Fred Stanfield? Frantisek Pospisil? In our evaluation of our staff, we don't believe he was. Does that mean we should perhaps bench him and use another defenceman, considering we don't use Greschner main asset? For now, we will leave it like that, but perhaps next round we will make a switch.

- We believe Mark Messier is the only forward in the draft that can play 1stES, 1stPP & 1stPK in this draft (base on longevity + talent). Ironically enough, the only other player that could make a case is Bobby Clarke IMO. We're not planning to make any changement in our special team lineup, and we're comfortable with the way it is setup.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quebec defeats Baltimore in 6 games.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:22 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Congrats to Quebec on their win and to Eagle and Dave on a well-fought and well-argued series. The best of luck to you guys for the rest of the playoffs. I'll be back for the MLD in a few months time. Good luck to the remaining GM's.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Congrats to Quebec on their win and to Eagle and Dave on a well-fought and well-argued series. The best of luck to you guys for the rest of the playoffs. I'll be back for the MLD in a few months time. Good luck to the remaining GM's.