HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013-2014 NFL Thread (Week 1!)

Old
04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
2013-2014 NFL Thread (Week 1!)

New thread for the draft. We'll blow the other one up since this is now the technical start of the 2013-2014 season for us draftniks.

Jets picks in the first 4 rounds:

9: Dee Milliner, CB
13: Sheldon Richardson, DT
39: Geno Smith, QB
72: Brian Winters, OG
141: Oday Aboushi, OT
178: William Campbell, OG
215: Tommy Bohanon, FB

Giants picks in the first 4 rounds:

19: Justin Pugh, C/G/T
49: Johnathan Hankins, DT
81: Damontre Moore, DE
110: Ryan Nassib, QB
152: Cooper Taylor, S
225:
253:

1. KC - Fisher
2. Jax - Joeckel
3. Mia - Jordan
4. Phi - Johnson
5. Det - Ansah
6. Cle - Mingo
7. Ari - Cooper
8. Stl - Austin
9. Jets - Milliner
10. Ten - Warmack
11. SD - Fluker
12. Oak - Hayden
13. Jets - Richardson
14. Car - Lotulelei
15. NO - Vaccaro
16. Buf - Manuel
17. Pit - Jones
18. SF - Reid
19. Giants - Pugh
20. Chi - Long
21. Cin - Eifert
22. Atl - Trufant
23. Min - Floyd
24. Ind - Werner
25. Min - Rhodes
26. GB - Jones
27. Hou - Hopkins
28. Den - Williams
29. Min - Patterson
30. Stl - Ogletree
31. Dal - Frederick
32. Bal - Elam

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw

Last edited by Bird Law: 04-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
17futurecap

Take your pick at what the Jets can use, S, Pass Rusher, CB, G, WR, TE, RB, QB. Hoping for a guard and a trade down to get more picks, boring, but so many needs.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I think the Jets trade down with one of those picks, maybe more than once in this kind of draft. New GM, looking to stock up on picks.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think the Jets trade down with one of those picks, maybe more than once in this kind of draft. New GM, looking to stock up on picks.
As he should. Jets are in straight up rebuilding mode right now. Only question is do you take a QB this year? Perhaps you build up the O-line a bit and take whoever falls to the 2nd? Jets have a lot of options and will have even more if they trade down in the draft.

If Smith falls, they can take Smith, Austin, and Bailey. Re-unite those guys and let them run wild on the AFC East.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Take your pick at what the Jets can use, S, Pass Rusher, CB, G, WR, TE, RB, QB. Hoping for a guard and a trade down to get more picks, boring, but so many needs.
Yep. Will be interesting to see what they do over the next two years.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
As he should. Jets are in straight up rebuilding mode right now. Only question is do you take a QB this year? Perhaps you build up the O-line a bit and take whoever falls to the 2nd? Jets have a lot of options and will have even more if they trade down in the draft.

If Smith falls, they can take Smith, Austin, and Bailey. Re-unite those guys and let them run wild on the AFC East.
I know it's boring but I'm hoping the Jets take one of Warmack or Cooper at the 9. Then if they still have the 13, take either Austin or Patterson.

I know there's a premium on 3-4 rushers in this draft and who really knows if Rex is gonna be around next year, and if the new coach will still implement the 3-4. Not sure how smart it is too draft a guy like Mingo or Jones and then switch defenses.

And to the QB. If they trade the 13 to the 49ers, I can see them taking one at the 31 or 34. Not sure if I'd like it but it's a trade they'd make so they could definetely get someone they like. Personally I'd rather them wait until next year as this is obviously a rebuilding year but I know they really like Manuel and Nassib.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I know it's boring but I'm hoping the Jets take one of Warmack or Cooper at the 9. Then if they still have the 13, take either Austin or Patterson.

I know there's a premium on 3-4 rushers in this draft and who really knows if Rex is gonna be around next year, and if the new coach will still implement the 3-4. Not sure how smart it is too draft a guy like Mingo or Jones and then switch defenses.

And to the QB. If they trade the 13 to the 49ers, I can see them taking one at the 31 or 34. Not sure if I'd like it but it's a trade they'd make so they could definetely get someone they like. Personally I'd rather them wait until next year as this is obviously a rebuilding year but I know they really like Manuel and Nassib.
Trade down to take a guard. Both should be available in the teens.

If the Jets take Manuel or Nassib over Smith, it'd just be a disaster for them again. Would be such a stupid move. I don't see how either one should be even considered over Smith. I have to think they are considering those guys for a second round pick. That wouldn't be a bad move, either.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Giants will go DE, CB, or maybe OL. They need OL but given Reese's history not sure it happens (ditto LB which I didn't even list, don't see it happening despite on-paper "needs").

If by some chance Warmack falls, snag him. Not likely.

Semi-realistic targets:

1. Rhodes
2. Fluker
3. Carradine

Trufant, Hayden, Werner, Datone Jones (maybe, not a true 4-3 end) in the mix. Cooper, Richardson, Vaccaro as well if they fall.

04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Giants will go DE, CB, or maybe OL. They need OL but given Reese's history not sure it happens (ditto LB which I didn't even list, don't see it happening despite on-paper "needs").

Semi-realistic targets:

1. Rhodes
2. Fluker
3. Carradine

Trufant, Hayden, Werner, Datone Jones (maybe, not a true 4-3 end) in the mix. Cooper, Richardson, Vaccaro as well if they fall.
Looking more likely that Warmack falls to us, actually.

Reese supposedly loves him, too.

Vaccaro? Huge pass. Not a fan of his at all. Same with Rhodes (only reason he is rated high is because he is tall -- average CB otherwise).

Vaccaro and Okafor are the only two players I'd flip a **** if we drafted. Do not want either of them at all.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Trade down to take a guard. Both should be available in the teens.

If the Jets take Manuel or Nassib over Smith, it'd just be a disaster for them again. Would be such a stupid move. I don't see how either one should be even considered over Smith. I have to think they are considering those guys for a second round pick. That wouldn't be a bad move, either.
Yeah I agree they could trade down for the guard. I've seen so many different mocks it's a tough draft to guage where guys might be or go. Lot of teams need so many positions and it's a deep draft so there's a lot of different ways for it to go.

I don't think they would take those guys over Smith as I think I saw he's their number 1 QB. I've just been assuming all this time they wont take him at the 9 or 13 and he'd be gone by the 2nd round. And if they don't trade the 13 for picks I'm not sure a team with no depth should take another QB there so it should be interesting to see what they do. Idzik appears to have a good head on his shoulders so I think he's got a good plan here.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Looking more likely that Warmack falls to us, actually.

Reese supposedly loves him, too.

Vaccaro? Huge pass. Not a fan of his at all. Same with Rhodes (only reason he is rated high is because he is tall -- average CB otherwise).

Vaccaro and Okafor are the only two players I'd flip a **** if we drafted. Do not want either of them at all.
Yea I'm not a Vaccaro fan either. My list was more who I expect to be on the radar rather than who I want.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Yeah I agree they could trade down for the guard. I've seen so many different mocks it's a tough draft to guage where guys might be or go. Lot of teams need so many positions and it's a deep draft so there's a lot of different ways for it to go.

I don't think they would take those guys over Smith as I think I saw he's their number 1 QB. I've just been assuming all this time they wont take him at the 9 or 13 and he'd be gone by the 2nd round. And if they don't trade the 13 for picks I'm not sure a team with no depth should take another QB there so it should be interesting to see what they do. Idzik appears to have a good head on his shoulders so I think he's got a good plan here.
This draft is so weird. I can't understand why some teams (apparently Buffalo) have some poor man's Chad Pennington (Nassib) over Smith. Just blows my mind. I understand that their coach coached Nassib. But does their scouting staff watch college football?

I am sure the Jets will have a good draft. Idzik seems like a smart guy and actually seems like he knows what he's doing. Will be a nice change for you Jets fans. I hope he does well.

Although you should always prepare for drafting a tight end at 9 and a fullback at 13. Just in case.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Yea I'm not a Vaccaro fan either. My list was more who I expect to be on the radar rather than who I want.
Yeah, he's just a brutal player to me. I don't see the upside in him at all. He was consistently torched at Texas.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
This draft is so weird. I can't understand why some teams (apparently Buffalo) have some poor man's Chad Pennington (Nassib) over Smith. Just blows my mind. I understand that their coach coached Nassib. But does their scouting staff watch college football?

I am sure the Jets will have a good draft. Idzik seems like a smart guy and actually seems like he knows what he's doing. Will be a nice change for you Jets fans. I hope he does well.

Although you should always prepare for drafting a tight end at 9 and a fullback at 13. Just in case.
Yeah I can't understand the Nassib obsession, although I hear they have interest in Barkley too. Insane at the 8 pick. Should be able to get both in the 2nd.

Yeah I'm prepared for the worst. Not a big fan of Mingo and Rex loves the guy so who knows.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
I would almost rather the Giants draft a kicker in the 1st round than Manti Te'o. He's not even that good and he's a crappy human. Plus, you know there is going to be a circus wherever he goes and especially if it's in NY. I want him nowhere near this franchise.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I mean, never say never, but I would be 1000x shocked if the Giants drafted T'eo.

Very iffy athleticism. Reese does not value LBs. Potential "character isssues".

Just doesn't add up. Seems like a blatant smokescreen. But hey who knows.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Dion Jordan drops to 9, Jets snag him. Jets then trade the 13th pick to SF for the 31, 34 and draft Warford (or Cooper is he's miraculously still on the board) and Gio Bernard. Kelce in the third. OT Brennan Williams in the fourth.

We take our developmental QB Matt Scott in the fifth, and take my favorite under-the-radar pick Lonnie Pryor (FB out of FSU) in the sixth.

Come out with a stud OLB, and the perfect WCO RB, OG, TE, and FB, along with a RT to take Howard's place in a year or two.

Would be a very solid start to the rebuild.

Matt4776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:00 AM
shinchanyo

With the 9th pick the New York Jets select: Fullback (OOHHH NOOOOOO!) jesus christ

O line, LB, DL/DE. Can't see them doing Dline again unless that monster DT is still available. Maybe they'll take two WR QB is their biggest need but the talent available just won't synch with that need.Those are the threee positions where the talent will synch up with the pick and other needs.

I would be pretty thrilled to get Womack and one of the 50 billion awesome looking RT's but I feel like every1 knows mack and he'll be gone. That'd be a stacked O line for years. Then grab that TE in the 2nd round forget his name but I think he's coming out of stanford. Rebuilt line. Next year grab your QB. let him learn fo0r a year while the line continues to improve and bam when your 2nd year QB walks in it's behind a phenomenal O line with a talent at TE and some WR talent hopefully.

Can't be upset if they take a Dline or LB guy though. Could see them taking 1 O line in the 1st. D with the 13th and another O-line or a QB in the 2nd. Don't really want that but I can easily see it happening

Last edited by shinchanyo: 04-25-2013 at 07:06 AM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Idzik isn't sharing his thoughts with many people within the Jets. Brian Costello wrote that. All of them are holdovers from Tannenbaum. He can't bring in his own people from other organizations until after the draft. He can tap into what his contacts in the league think of this player and compare it to what the Jets staff thinks. I would be running ideas and scenarios at my former Seahawk collegues as sounding boards if I were Idzik who was Schneider's sounding board in Seattle.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Semi-realistic targets:

1. Rhodes
2. Fluker
3. Carradine

Fluker please.

I don't like that Carradine is 24. Ogletree's off-field stuff is worrisome.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-25-2013 at 08:28 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:20 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Idzik isn't sharing his thoughts with many people within the Jets. .
He's clearly a genius then

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Fluker please.

I don't like that Carradine is 24. Ogletree's off-field stuff is worrisome.
True, but Ogletree is a dynamic player. JR has shown a willingness to go for the best talent even with some off-field problems, so I wouldn't mind Alec at 19.

I expect us to get a very good talent, though, no matter who it is. Unless things go absolutely catastrophically wrong for us, the G-Men will end up with somebody with top of the round talent (Cooper possibly, though if he lasts all the way to 19 the other GMs ****ed up/Warmack more likely, could also be in play) who gets passed over.

Should be a good draft for the Giants- good talent at the positions we need to improve the most.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

As usual, I know nothing of college football or who is good or who the Giants are targeting.

I'm sure it's "best pass rusher available" as usual though

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
As usual, I know nothing of college football or who is good or who the Giants are targeting.

I'm sure it's "best pass rusher available" as usual though
I hate college football but I love draft time. I try to watch video on consensus first round talent whenever I get the chance. Besides that, though, I know nothing about college football either . Always fun reading up on who your team drafts the day after.

I'm proud of myself for last year, though- I really liked David Wilson from what I watched and for the first time ever called the guy the Giants were going to draft. Take that, Mayock.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Obviously Ogletree's DUI is a serious offense but I looked up his theft issues and found it pretty amusing:

"University police obtained a warrant on a misdemeanor theft charge stemming from a June incident in which a scooter helmet was reported missing from a student-athlete academic center, Chief Jimmy Williamson said.

The helmet was later reported to be in Ogletree's possession and a warrant on a theft by taking charge was issued following an investigation, Williamson said."

Shouldnt the fact that he apparently owns a scooter (a la Mike Green) have more of an impact on his draft status?