HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins at Centre

Old
09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Higgins at Centre

I've been wondering what are Higgin's capabilities on the Centre spot. Does he win faceoffs? Is he well suited for the position, or is he better on the wing? I've never seen him play centre so I was wondering what you guys were thinking.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:59 PM
MasterD

For all I remmeber, 2 years ago he had a very slow beginning of the year stats wise, and played center. As soon as he was moved (back) to the wing (played there at the end of the year before), he picked it up... You decide...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Could be a possibility but i'm not a big fan of moving a sophomore who had 23 goals in his rookie season as a winger.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
Could be a possibility but i'm not a big fan of moving a sophomore who had 23 goals in his rookie season as a winger.
Same here, but considering how weak we are at centre...we have to look at all possibilities.

We could look at something like this for the top two lines if we lose Koivu for the beginning of the season.

Kovalev - Ribeiro - Samsonov
Ryder - Higgins - Latendresse

Last edited by Moester: 09-10-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old
09-10-2006, 03:10 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I've been wondering what are Higgin's capabilities on the Centre spot. Does he win faceoffs? Is he well suited for the position, or is he better on the wing? I've never seen him play centre so I was wondering what you guys were thinking.
If he could take faceoffs it might work with Kovy and Sammy as they can both make plays and carry the puck and Higgins can skate and shoot

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Same here, but considering how weak we are at centre...we have to look at all possibilities.
Imo, although Higgins has great vision, I don't think he has the playmaking abilities to be a center.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
znk

I think he'd look good between Kovalev and Samsonov. Driving the net and opening up the ice for Kovalev and Samsonov to dangle their way in. I dont think they need a play maker. But we got Grabovsky and Chipchura on the way and I hope they will help solidify our center position in the near future. But we should wait till after training camp because right now we got a few to many unknowns. Will Koivu be ready? Will Ribeiro and Bonk pickup their play? Will Grabovsky or Chipchura earn a spot? Will Plekanec continue to improve?
I'm excited about training camp.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Higgins played centre at yale, but he's never really played centre in professional hockey. I'm not saying he can't but it's just something to consider.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
madbox

He's definitely an option if that's what it comes down to, though I do prefer Higgins coming in on off the wing.
Also from what I've gathered, faceoffs really aren't his thing.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
couris

Kovalev - GRABOVSKY IS 22 AND HAS MORE EXPRIENCE THAN LATENDRESSE - Samsonov

tought?

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Habbadasher

At this point he seems more of a scorer than a passer, but he does have the history as a centre.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Kovalev - GRABOVSKY IS 22 AND HAS MORE EXPRIENCE THAN LATENDRESSE - Samsonov

tought?
I just thought that we could put an experienced centre at #1 (Ribs) And someone who's played professionally and has some previous NHL experience. The only thing I wonder about Grab is that he doesn't have North American experience...those types of players need at least 1 year to get accustomed to the game. I think that Kost is more talented and it took him about a season and a half to catch the beat. I think that Plekanec has a much higher probability to get a centre spot this year than Grabs.

Old
09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
couris

why are we so conservative in montreal? lets take a chance with grabs a la malkin and let him play center !

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Mike8

He's lousy on faceoffs. That's why he was moved to wing.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
why are we so conservative in montreal? lets take a chance with grabs a la malkin and let him play center !
Who do you get rid of without having seen Grabovsky play one NHL game?

Old
09-10-2006, 03:52 PM
znk

Quote:
I just thought that we could put an experienced centre at #1 (Ribs) And someone who's played professionally and has some previous NHL experience. The only thing I wonder about Grab is that he doesn't have North American experience...those types of players need at least 1 year to get accustomed to the game. I think that Kost is more talented and it took him about a season and a half to catch the beat. I think that Plekanec has a much higher probability to get a centre spot this year than Grabs.
That's a myth. Some do...and some dont, especilay those who are in their early 20's

Old
09-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
He's lousy on faceoffs. That's why he was moved to wing.
FALSE! I remember clearly that Savard told the media that Higgins was moved to the wing because he wasn't creative enough to be a centre...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
FALSE! I remember clearly that Savard told the media that Higgins was moved to the wing because he wasn't creative enough to be a centre...
Uhuh. He was still lousy on faceoffs, whether it was the primary reason or a contributing reason is irrelevant. Thanks for the teaching emoticon though, I've always seen them as terribly constructive and useful.

Old
09-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Uhuh. He was still lousy on faceoffs, whether it was the primary reason or a contributing reason is irrelevant. Thanks for the teaching emoticon though, I've always seen them as terribly constructive and useful.
Got a sensitive skin, haven't we ? Chill out, man... (the emoticon is irrelevant but I thought you'd enjoy it

And for the record, Higgins did get move for "style of play" reasons; he's just not the kind of guy who likes to control the play, not that great with the puck; he's at his best when he explodes off the wing with speed, he finishes well, good on fore-check... Nobody gets permanently moved from center to wing cause they stink on face-offs. (I admit, this is one too many. Now I'm just rubbin it in... )

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I'm inclined to leave Higgins at wing.

It seems to me that the Habs have pretty good depth at center.

Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk
Chipchura
Grabovsky
Lapierre
Begin *
Murray *

The problem is at the top end: any two of Plekanec, Ribeiro and Bonk are weak Top 2 Centers. Switching Higgins with any of them wouldn't make it better.

Especially with the doubts about Koivu's eye, I'm pretty sure the rumours of Gainey's pursuit of a top center are/were true. Briere, Gomez or Marleau would really help.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:25 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm inclined to leave Higgins at wing.

It seems to me that the Habs have pretty good depth at center.

Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk
Chipchura
Grabovsky
Lapierre
Begin *
Murray *

The problem is at the top end: any two of Plekanec, Ribeiro and Bonk are weak Top 2 Centers. Switching Higgins with any of them wouldn't make it better.

Especially with the doubts about Koivu's eye, I'm pretty sure the rumours of Gainey's pursuit of a top center are/were true. Briere, Gomez or Marleau would really help.

WHat is Marleau's contract status and the status of the sharks cap.
If I were the owner Marleu and Thornton woyld me the two main guys I would want to hold onto!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Habruti!

Quote:

We could look at something like this for the top two lines if we lose Koivu for the beginning of the season.

Kovalev - Ribeiro - Samsonov
Not so sure it would be ideal... we have plenty of talent at center already and guys will be knowcking on the door soon: Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanek, Bonk, Chipchura, Grabovski, Johnson, Murray, Lapierre.

If for some reason Koivu was to miss beguining of the year I would try the following.

Higgins, Plekanek, Perezhogin
Samsonov, Ribeiro, Kovalev
Latendresse, Jonhson, Ryder
Begin, Bonk, (murray/Lapierre/Chipchura)

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Maxpac

Higgins can't play as a scoring center cause he's not creative enough with the puck, he doesn't make p;ays, he finishes them. How many times have you seen Higgins start something, close to never, he just has a real good wrister, he's fast and really reliable defensively, he's the next Simon Gangé if he's gets to his max potential

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Not so sure it would be ideal... we have plenty of talent at center already and guys will be knowcking on the door soon: Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanek, Bonk, Chipchura, Grabovski, Johnson, Murray, Lapierre.

If for some reason Koivu was to miss beguining of the year I would try the following.

Higgins, Plekanek, Perezhogin
Samsonov, Ribeiro, Kovalev
Latendresse, Jonhson, Ryder
Begin, Bonk, (murray/Lapierre/Chipchura)
Ryder on the third line ?!?
I agree that higgins centering one of the top two lines might not be the best thing, but why demote Ryder? He's our best scorer! And why put Perez on the top line instead. He's still got a lot to prove, more than Ryder at any rate.

Old
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Got a sensitive skin, haven't we ?
Not particularly, I just see the emoticon as obnoxious. If I were to start this post to you saying: "let me teach you about hockey," I'm certain you'd find it obnoxious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Nobody gets permanently moved from center to wing cause they stink on face-offs.
Sure they do. The majority of forwards in the NHL started their playing days at center. The vast majority of skilled players are natural centers. The simple reason for this is that they were their local teams' best player growing up and as such, they played at the most pivotal forward position. When these players are drafted and turn pro, many of them are shuffled to the wing position because organizations have too many centers. There can be a multitude of reasons for shuffling a player off to wing, and faceoff ability is one of them.

I don't deny that Higgins may have been moved to wing because his playing style is better suited to the wing, but to discount the fact that players that are lousy on the draw tend to be moved to wing (if their style can adapt) is not only a false sentiment but also makes for incredibly tedious discussion.