HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
I say we try to get Adam Erne to add that future 1-2 punch along the left side with MaxPac and him if he's still available when we pick. He's frigging strong man. Watching how he can throw around Q players is neat and he's another American player. There's next to zero chance we get Bo Horvat and Max Domi is personally questionable but a great prospect nonetheless.

With the other 3 picks we absolutely need to grab Jordan Subban for the hilarity alone. If it looks like Erne will go at a pick we hold in the second grab Zadorov in the first?
Erne will be gone by our 1st pick unless he drops big time.

CSR is all over the map.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
I say we try to get Adam Erne to add that future 1-2 punch along the left side with MaxPac and him if he's still available when we pick. He's frigging strong man. Watching how he can throw around Q players is neat and he's another American player. There's next to zero chance we get Bo Horvat and Max Domi is personally questionable but a great prospect nonetheless.

With the other 3 picks we absolutely need to grab Jordan Subban for the hilarity alone. If it looks like Erne will go at a pick we hold in the second grab Zadorov in the first?
Zadorov will go top 8, I doubt we pick there.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I want Connor McDavid with a Habs jersey. Granted exceptional status in the NHL. 2014 1st overall pick please.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:50 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Habs could draft LD - S. Morin or C/LW - W. Carrier in the 1st. In the 2nd rd. RW - M. McCarron followed by LD - J. Diaby and then C - J. Hayden. In the 3rd rd C/LW - N.Moutrey and LW - Tyler Hill. With the 6th rd. pick LW - Chris Clapperton whom I'd pick with a 4th if the Habs had one, the 7th and final pick being LW - S. Tolchinski. Carrier being my 1st choice in the draft and a gamble like Galchenyuk was except with the 25th choice not the 3rd. If the Habs can get a couple of steals like Clapperton and Tolchinski with their last choices this draft could be excellent long term.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs could draft LD - S. Morin or C/LW - W. Carrier in the 1st. In the 2nd rd. RW - M. McCarron followed by LD - J. Diaby and then C - J. Hayden. In the 3rd rd C/LW - N.Moutrey and LW - Tyler Hill. With the 6th rd. pick LW - Chris Clapperton whom I'd pick with a 4th if the Habs had one, the 7th and final pick being LW - S. Tolchinski. Carrier being my 1st choice in the draft and a gamble like Galchenyuk was except with the 25th choice not the 3rd. If the Habs can get a couple of steals like Clapperton and Tolchinski with their last choices this draft could be excellent long term.
Really really worried about Morin's upside. I prefer Diaby more than Morin at this point. But will I do question sometimes Diaby's hockey sense, I will question Morin's upside. Just believe there will be better candidates at 1...and maybe even in the 2nd round. As far as D's are concerned....McCarron seems to me like a REALLY good prospect.

Good call on Clapperton, litte pest that could eventually pan out...but not in 4th for me.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I wouldnt touch either with the 1st round pick.

I would take Hartman, Klimchuk, Rychel, Horvat, De La Rose, Compher, Erne and Petan over Carrier.

I would take Hagg, Theodore, Bigras and Mueller over Morin.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post

I would take Hartman, Klimchuk, Rychel, Horvat, De La Rose, Compher, Erne and Petan over Carrier.

The players you mention before Carrier will probably be gone by the Habs turn other than De La Rose. The same goes for dmen, Hagg might be there but don't bet the farm on it.All of them are good picks for the 1st round though.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post

I'd do cartwheels if we get Mueller.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Really really worried about Morin's upside.
Care to elaborate why? I see a guy who is huge, mobile and has some offensive talent. And the hockey IQ appears to be there.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Care to elaborate why? I see a guy who is huge, mobile and has some offensive talent. And the hockey IQ appears to be there.
Yeah, high end shut down d-men who can chip in a bit of offense are highly valued in today's NHL. You can no longer have 6'4" pluggers on defense that grab on to everybody, stay at home d-men need to be able to move, think the game and also pass the puck.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Mats86

Take Diaby in second round use first pick on more offense. Diaby be as good as Morin.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
This is interesting and I'm sure most of you have seen it. http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html
Its the avg height, weight of all the NHL teams. No surprise that the Habs are the smallest team but the 2nd smallest team is Chicago. The biggest teams are Wpg, Sj, Was and Ott.
I agree the Habs need a little more size but I don't think it is that important and not our top priority at this draft.
I think our defense is where small stands out. Where Chicago is bigger on the blueline, guys like Seabrooke, Hjalmarsson, Rosival. Our defense are wearing down as season goes on, really giving up the zone where 2 months ago they weren't. Especially Bouillon, Markov they aren't playing well like earlier.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Take Diaby in second round use first pick on more offense. Diaby be as good as Morin.
From what I have seen and heard from scouts, Diaby is more limited, more like O'byrne while Morin has better HS and can be a big minute shutdown guy like Hedman or Girardi.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
The players you mention before Carrier will probably be gone by the Habs turn other than De La Rose. The same goes for dmen, Hagg might be there but don't bet the farm on it.All of them are good picks for the 1st round though.
I named 12 players and add other guys like Mac, Drouin, Jones, Lindholm, Barkov, Monahan, Nichushkin, Nurse, Risto, Shinkaruk, Zadorov, Lazar, Domi, Wennberg, Pulock, Mantha, Zykov, Gauthier and Morrissey who should be 1st rounders. That is 31 picks.

Habs should be picking at around #25 so we should get a shot at someone like Hartman, Klimchuk, Mueller or Burakovsky(forgot about him).

Old
04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Really really worried about Morin's upside. I prefer Diaby more than Morin at this point. But will I do question sometimes Diaby's hockey sense, I will question Morin's upside. Just believe there will be better candidates at 1...and maybe even in the 2nd round. As far as D's are concerned....McCarron seems to me like a REALLY good prospect.

Good call on Clapperton, litte pest that could eventually pan out...but not in 4th for me.
Muller over both Morin and Diaby. I'm gonna agree with you although I really don't like Morin's decision making.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Muller over both Morin and Diaby. I'm gonna agree with you although I really don't like Morin's decision making.
As a scout, you have to look forward to what he could become, not what he his. With Morin you have an outstanding starting line. Big, Mobile, High IQ. Now you just need to teach him how to put it all together.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I really don't see him developing into anything offensive in higher leagues. Hockey IQ...well yes. Though nothing earth shattering. At best, I see him developing into a bottom 2 defensive minded, tough d-man. While it's not bad, it's not something I envision in the first 2 rounds, especially not this year.

I do have to admit that he had a better post-season than Diaby though and not only pointwise. Seen Morin 3 times live this year and never came away impressed. But don't mind me...I've seen Hudon 10ish times in his draft year and never was impressed either...

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I really don't see him developing into anything offensive in higher leagues. Hockey IQ...well yes. Though nothing earth shattering. At best, I see him developing into a bottom 2 defensive minded, tough d-man. While it's not bad, it's not something I envision in the first 2 rounds, especially not this year.
Morin has more upside than a #5 or 6 stay at home d-man. Even scouts that are NOT high on him would put his upside higher than that.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Morin has more upside than a #5 or 6 stay at home d-man. Even scouts that are NOT high on him would put his upside higher than that.
I might be off. I probably am. Wouldn't be the first time. Call this one as one of them if you like. But as of now, I stand by what I think. Seen him live quite often. Some on TV as well. And a few on the Net. Might have catched the average games only. Just like it happened with Hudon in his draft year. It's immensely tough to judge a d-man who's so much bigger than everybody else in the league. I try to put everything in perspective as far as development is concerned. I'd love to know what the scouts you are talking about think of him. If you can share those reports, that would be great.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I might be off. I probably am. Wouldn't be the first time. Call this one as one of them if you like. But as of now, I stand by what I think. Seen him live quite often. Some on TV as well. And a few on the Net. Might have catched the average games only. Just like it happened with Hudon in his draft year. It's immensely tough to judge a d-man who's so much bigger than everybody else in the league. I try to put everything in perspective as far as development is concerned. I'd love to know what the scouts you are talking about think of him. If you can share those reports, that would be great.
You might put too much stock into what he his right now. Like I said he has pretty much all the tools to become a top 4 Dman. Remember Chara ?

Old
04-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
A lot of them see him as a 1st round pick in the 20's, there is even talk iof the late teens. He's seen a lot like Tinordi was 2+ years ago, elite shut down d-man with size + toughness. Others see him as a "good" Komisarek, big mean punishing stay at home slotted #3-4. I don't know of any that see him less than that, but there could be. Other than the top 10 picks, there can be a large variance from scout to scout.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 04-25-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old
04-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
A lot of them see him as a 1st round pick in the 20's, there is even talk iof the late teens. He's seen a lot like Tinordi was 2+ years ago, elite shut down d-man with size + toughness. Others see him as a "good" Komisarek, big mean punishing stay at home slotted #3-4. I don't know of any that see him less than that, but there could be. Other tahn the top 10 picks, there can be a large variance from scout to scout.
Mind you, I'm not too far off.....We can't say that neither Komisarek or Tinordi are offensive forces. Morin is indeed a rookie but in his 2nd year. Offensive numbers didn't improve that much, though numberwise, he had a good playoffs. Now remains to be seen whether he'll be #4 or #5. I didn't see Morin fight that much this year, only remember a Diaby vs Morin fight that I saw and while Diaby isn't exactly a great fighter, Morin had a whole lot of trouble against him. But through You Tube, you see him Ko'ed a couple of guys though Etchegary and the other guy...we can't say are fighters. He is tough. And big. Good skater for his size. He will be top 2 rounds obviously. I just believed that at the rank we will be slotted in, we will have better choices.

Mind you...I'm TOTALLY expecting we'd pick some locals. So having Morin on board, would be fine with me. We will see who is still there, I will just be expecting though that we might have missed a greater upside. Remains to be seen.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You might put too much stock into what he his right now. Like I said he has pretty much all the tools to become a top 4 Dman. Remember Chara ?
When I "scout" somebody, I don't scout what he is now. You have to like what you see and "try" to evaluate what he could become. Scouting solely on what you see now is not for drafting. Is for trading immediately to fill an immediate need. That's not what I'm doing. Yet, I make PLENTY of mistakes. Would love to see more live games and I actually am able to since we now have a team in Blainville close to my home.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Grant McCagg

A raw 6-7 defenceman with mobility and some grit who went from a player who handled the puck like a hot grenade to a confident puck carrier who ran his team's PP at season's end....Morin is all about upside. He improved by leaps and bounds since the start of the season. Went from a late second to third rounder to a top 20 candidate. It would not even shock me if he ended up being a top ten pick. Philly for one would love to have him. He's nowhere close to reaching his full potential yet, as is almost always the case with big dmen in particular.

Remember the meteoric rise of McIlrath from February to June his draft year? You may see something similar with Morin.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Mats86

Quote:
From what I have seen and heard from scouts, Diaby is more limited, more like O'byrne while Morin has better HS and can be a big minute shutdown guy like Hedman or Girardi.
If Diaby is like O'Bryne I wouldn't spent a pick on him. You can find those types as second tier free agents or in lesser trades.

Closed Thread