HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Drew LeBlanc playing tonight

Old
04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but I don't think this says much of anything about how the brass thinks of Pirri.

It's just one game, and it's possible something held Pirri up from making it to Edmonton in time for tonight. Meanwhile Leblanc has already been travelling and practicing with the team.

If Leblanc plays from now until the season ends, I might reconsider. But for now, meh.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I said all year Pirri year will be next year, tough to call kids up to play important roles in this season.

LeBlanc is getting a game so the team can see what they might have, they brass has seen Pirri and knows what they have in him, they have to find out what they have in LeBlanc to see if he is worth re-signing next year.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I said all year Pirri year will be next year, tough to call kids up to play important roles in this season.

LeBlanc is getting a game so the team can see what they might have, they brass has seen Pirri and knows what they have in him, they have to find out what they have in LeBlanc to see if he is worth re-signing next year.
They were going to resign him regardless. The only reason they didn't give him a longer contract was because they weren't allowed to, per the CBA.

People are reading way too much into this, especially coldsteel.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't think this says much of anything about how the brass thinks of Pirri.

It's just one game, and it's possible something held Pirri up from making it to Edmonton in time for tonight. Meanwhile Leblanc has already been travelling and practicing with the team.

If Leblanc plays from now until the season ends, I might reconsider. But for now, meh.
Hm, I didn't think it through like this. This is fair. If LeBlanc is the call-up for the rest of the year (until the playoffs, obviously) to replace Bolland while he's hurt, it wouldn't make much sense. But just one game isn't a big deal.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:11 PM
McDooRoo

It's one game I probably wouldn't freak out. Even if it isn't i still wouldn't freak out. I know there are lots of Internet GMs on here, but I trust the coaching staff and Bowman know a heck of a lot more than any of us on here.....just a guess

McDooRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Well, Bowman makes himself suspect with things like this.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDooRoo View Post
It's one game I probably wouldn't freak out. Even if it isn't i still wouldn't freak out. I know there are lots of Internet GMs on here, but I trust the coaching staff and Bowman know a heck of a lot more than any of us on here.....just a guess
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do everything possible to prepare for the PO's. Leaving Pirri at home and playing a rookie who is ineligible for post season, just isn't very smart. Injuries happen. Pirri likely won't see any action in this years playoffs, but stranger things have happened.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, Bowman makes himself suspect with things like this.
Nope.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:14 PM
needle

For fans that are far less aware than most on this board, can someone answer the following questions for me...

Drew LeBlanc was the best NCAA hockey player this past year according to a trophy, why wasn't he drafted in the NHL draft, or, why didn't he make himself available for the NHL draft?

Are there a lot of successful players in the NHL that have taken the same route to the league that LeBlanc has?

If LeBlanc has some type of potential or future, why only sign him to a 1-year deal? Is that the max allowable to sign an undrafted graduating senior NCAA player?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle View Post
For fans that are far less aware than most on this board, can someone answer the following questions for me...

Drew LeBlanc was the best NCAA hockey player this past year according to a trophy, why wasn't he drafted in the NHL draft, or, why didn't he make himself available for the NHL draft?

Are there a lot of successful players in the NHL that have taken the same route to the league that LeBlanc has?

If LeBlanc has some type of potential or future, why only sign him to a 1-year deal? Is that the max allowable to sign an undrafted graduating senior NCAA player?

He was only allowed to be signed to a one year deal.

Yeah a guy by the name of Ed Belfour took a very similar route as have many others.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

An NHL prospect does not make himself "available" for the NHL draft. They become eligible depending on when they were born. LeBlanc was first eligible for the NHL draft in 2007, coming off a USHL season that saw him suit up for a mere 14 games, and post 5 assists. The following year, he put up 54 points in 58 USHL games, but as an overager, was passed over. His final year (again as an overager) of draft eligibility was his freshman season in college, where he put up 15 points (8 goals) in 38 games. After that, he was too old for the draft - again, dependent on age (21, I believe) - and was able to sign a FA contract with any NHL team.

He's clearly a late bloomer, but has been good in college for the past 3 years. I'm not sure exactly what his story is, whether he was too small back in 2007/08 or if team's simply passed on him, but there are numerous examples of players that weren't drafted that go on to have successful NHL careers. He's a late-bloomer. It's just a matter of, is he a late-bloomer that can be an NHL player. We'll see.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Quote:
Late bloomer. Draft ages are 18-20, and he is 23. Missed an entire season (2011-12) with a bad injury. Took a 5th year in college and won the Hobey Baker. That's just how it went for him. Martin St. Louis was an undrafted college player (Vermont) and look where he has gone since then.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
LandofLincoln

There is a lot of talking on here about what fair is..... Look Pirri got bypassed it still does not take away what he did for this organization or what he did for himself professionally.

It sounds a little crazy how many people were squaking.... Pirri will get his chance. It may be in the playoffs or it could be outside of the Blackhawks via trade.

Life is not fair. Jeremy Morin was a head of Brandon Saad then Morin had almost a career ending injury. He recovered he will get his chance next year. That wasn't fair. All players can do is maximize their opportunity and Pirri has done that. He proved to be worth where he was drafted at.

It's LeBlanc's opportunity whether or not it's fair doesn't matter. I hope LeBlanc maximizes the opportunity just like I hope Morin & Pirri maximize their opportunities when they get that opportunity.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:56 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Regardless of how one spins this, Pirri gets hosed here if LeBlanc plays anything more than one game, and even the one game for LeBlanc isn't fair to Pirri. He's put his time in, and fits the 2C slot Hawks need, particularly if Hossa and Sharp are his wingers.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think LeBlanc's accomplishments this year at the Collegiate level come anywhere close to Pirri's at the AHL level. And before anyone thinks that Pirri can't contribute anwhere from a small to a large amount, it's not hard to think back to Smith two years ago, and Shaw last year, and remember their impact in the playoffs. Also remember that Pirri played with a number of current Hawks this year in the AHL. He's not unfamiliar with their style.

Unless the Hawks management has spoken personally to Pirri, he must be wondering who he p/o'd so much to be repeatedly passed over for every center opportunity this year.

Last edited by pvr: 04-25-2013 at 04:15 AM.
pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
AmishRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Pirri is a +11 despite 75 points.

It's a 2 way game, call me when he figures that out.
Was really hoping this post was sarcasm till I read more posts. Highest +/- on team and it's still not good enough because he has too many points.

(highest +/- amongst forwards)

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Everyone here calling for Pirri as 2C is going to love it when he starts getting ragdolled all over the ice just like Marcus Kruger does. Every time Kruger gets slotted into the 2C all everyone does is ***** about how small he is and can't make plays because he gets knocked off the puck. Pirri and Kruger are both exactly the same size. LeBlanc is 25 lbs heavier.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Life is not fair. Jeremy Morin was a head of Brandon Saad then Morin had almost a career ending injury.
Morin was never, ever ahead of Saad.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Everyone here calling for Pirri as 2C is going to love it when he starts getting ragdolled all over the ice just like Marcus Kruger does. Every time Kruger gets slotted into the 2C all everyone does is ***** about how small he is and can't make plays because he gets knocked off the puck. Pirri and Kruger are both exactly the same size. LeBlanc is 25 lbs heavier.
Those people are all idiots and should be on your ignore list.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Pirri is much more gifted offensively. And he's far more aggressive a player than Kruger.

LeBlanc looked pretty much lost in the first. Which is pretty much to be expected, the guy's never played a pro game before. Pirri is far more NHL ready.

(For the record, I'm not calling for him to be the second line center. Although he does deserve a call-up to get a chance while Bolland is out. And Bolland doesn't belong there even when he does get back - he has looked out of place all season. Pirri has earned a chance).

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
needle

First time I have heard you have to be a certain age to get drafted in the NHL draft. I don't like that rule.

I understand setting a minimum age limit, but a maximum age limit? Who does that benefit? I'm a casual fan, but that rule is unbelievable.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:35 PM
sedag

Worst first shift ever.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

I don't want anyone thinking I don't like Pirri, because I do, and I want to see him play, but he does have some weaknesses. He has always been underweight. Not a big problem in the AHL, but could be an issue for him in the big show. I have no doubt he'll be playing in the playoffs coming up and we'll see how he handles that.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
This guy clearly is not ready. Enough.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
stingo

He didn't look as out of place in the 2nd period, but still not ready. He is too good to take a pass on though, he just needs some time in the ahl, but he will get there. Kid is clearly nervous.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:50 PM
HawksTillDeath

MUCH BETTER this period..

He's getting alot better with each ****

Glad he is showing us a little more

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote