HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVIII

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 05:45 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Roy gets 4 years from me, max. He's awesome, but he has seen his production drop off the past two seasons and who's to say he doesn't evolve into an Andy McDonald type when he's 32-34. McDonald is good, just not 5 mil a year good.
I'd rather have him than not have him either way.

Even if his game goes downhill, the cap is rising and he'll likely be movable.

I'd be prepared to offer 6 years if he's willing to accept $4.5M (we're talking Bozak money here).

Old
04-24-2013, 05:47 PM
arsmaster

I need to see a lot more games like the Chicago game to even think about extending Roy at this point.

So far he's been really good for 2 games, the rest have been meh.

If we go on a run, and he's a big contributor to it, sure, lock him up....at this point, extension talk is very premature.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Cogburn

Using the Dreger trade as a basis, move Lu for Colborne, Scrivens, a second this year and a conditional pick next season (in place of MacArthur) based on where Toronto and Vancouver end up in the standings respectively (1st if Toronto makes the playoffs and Vancouver doesn't, 2nd if both teams make it or both don't, 3rd if Toronto fails to make the playoffs but Vancouver does).

Colborne as a call up on the Wolves/Rivermen/what ever, ditto Scrivens.

Edler for Lucic. Both are going to rebound from a disappointing-ish season, Lucic being worse then Edler Edler is having a 40 point season...extended over an 82 game schedule).

Hear me out! We lessen our defensive depth, but gain the most dynamic powerforward in the game, who is everything we hope Kassian will be. NTCs, blah, blah, blah. I know, no need to shoot this down.

Trade our second and Rodin for Paajarvi. Size for futures, Rodin would be redundant as a center with Schroeder, Colborne and Gaunce in the system as a top six center, and I really don't see his game developing as a bottom sixer or a winger (with Jensen, Kassian and Paajarvi in the system, he wouldn't be needed). I'd add if needed, and it's probably needed.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.525m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)
Tom Sestito ($0.666m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Jim Vandermeer ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,711,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $588,556

Alberts has impressed me this season, as has Corrado in his limited time up this season. Tanev, Lapierre, Weise, Sestito, Pinner and Paajarvi we sign to one year "bridge" contracts until next season, and Roy we sign to a multi year deal. These trades mitigate the loss of Booth and Raymond, and I think that line up is scarier to play against, as well as both bigger and younger.

Our 4th line gains a little more offensive flair, and our middle two lines are dangerous enough, but we'd be keeping Hansen, Lucic, Kassian and Kesler as hard hitting, defensively sound lines, with Higgins and Roy complimenting this with hard skating and offensive talent worthy of a second line.

Our D takes a hit, but we have two buyouts and at least one player already being traded for futures...and while Ballard and Edler beat the pants of Corrado and Alberts, this changes our team for the better.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:05 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Using the Dreger trade as a basis, move Lu for Colborne, Scrivens, a second this year and a conditional pick next season (in place of MacArthur) based on where Toronto and Vancouver end up in the standings respectively (1st if Toronto makes the playoffs and Vancouver doesn't, 2nd if both teams make it or both don't, 3rd if Toronto fails to make the playoffs but Vancouver does).

Edler for Lucic. Both are going to rebound from a disappointing-ish season, Lucic being worse then Edler Edler is having a 40 point season...extended over an 82 game schedule).

Hear me out! We lessen our defensive depth, but gain the most dynamic powerforward in the game, who is everything we hope Kassian will be. NTCs, blah, blah, blah. I know, no need to shoot this down.

Trade our second and Rodin for Paajarvi. Size for futures, Rodin would be redundant as a center with Schroeder, Colborne and Gaunce in the system as a top six center, and I really don't see his game developing as a bottom sixer or a winger (with Jensen, Kassian and Paajarvi in the system, he wouldn't be needed). I'd add if needed, and it's probably needed.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER

------

Alberts has impressed me this season, as has Corrado in his limited time up this season. Tanev, Lapierre, Weise, Sestito, Pinner and Paajarvi we sign to one year "bridge" contracts until next season, and Roy we sign to a multi year deal. These trades mitigate the loss of Booth and Raymond, and I think that line up is scarier to play against, as well as both bigger and younger.

Our 4th line gains a little more offensive flair, and our middle two lines are dangerous enough, but we'd be keeping Hansen, Lucic, Kassian and Kesler as hard hitting, defensively sound lines, with Higgins and Roy complimenting this with hard skating and offensive talent worthy of a second line.

Our D takes a hit, but we have two buyouts and at least one player already being traded for futures...and while Ballard and Edler beat the pants of Corrado and Alberts, this changes our team for the better.
If we get pissed off by Edler's inconsistencies get ready to hate Lucic.

I don't think Frankie will be ready for full time Top 4 next season. Banking on that seems like a biiiig mistake.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Nuck This

Quote:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER

------

Honestly, I don't see Luongo going to Toronto anymore. I have a feeling another suitor will come and I can't imagine Gillis and co are happy with how Nonis and the Leafs handled themselves during the TDL. It won't come out in the paper or nobody will admit it, but they're super mad, almost to the point they'd take less of a return somewhere else. I have a feeling a different team will offer more anyways. I hope Luongo doesn't get traded to the Leafs. Their fans have shown no appreciation or respect for him throughout his career. I'd hate it if he did well their and they all of a sudden started loving him.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Nuck This

This is my dream lineup for next season. Gaunce and Lapierre switching from center to wing depending on the game.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Brendan Gaunce ($1.088m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / David Clarkson ($3.250m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.100m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,507,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,955,056

A nice blend of skill, speed and toughness.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
This is my dream lineup for next season. Gaunce and Lapierre switching from center to wing depending on the game.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Brendan Gaunce ($1.088m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / David Clarkson ($3.250m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.100m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,507,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,955,056

A nice blend of skill, speed and toughness.
You'll be in for a rude awakening when you see what Clarkson and Roy actually get in FA.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Huge pass on Edler for Lucic.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd give it a hard look and probably do the same. As much as we need Lucic, we need a player like Edler even more. I can see why some are willing to trade him. He has not been good this year. But when he's on, I think he is the most valuable piece of the puzzle for our team.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:38 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

If you're trading Edler, it better be in a package for a guy like Kane or Benn

Old
04-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Honestly Bieksa+ for Lucic or no thanks. Edler is to valuable to trade, for a under achieving 6 million dollar player.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Honestly Bieksa+ for Lucic or no thanks. Edler is to valuable to trade, for a under achieving 6 million dollar player.
I'm all for trading Bieksa but I wouldn't trade him for Lucic. Very overrated and his contract is way to rich for us. Edler for Lucic is a terrible, terrible trade.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Hell no to Edler for Lucic.

Lucic is way more inconsistent and carries a big cap hit. We don't need that during this cap crunch, especially because of D becomes absolutely horribad.

Hamhuis bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Alberts Corrado

No depth, and Alberts as a regular is a bad idea.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Yeah a big no to Lucic's 6 million dollar cap hit. I'm definitely down trading Edler though to Philly though. Lots of juicy pieces to come back in that trade

Old
04-24-2013, 09:58 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Yeah a big no to Lucic's 6 million dollar cap hit. I'm definitely down trading Edler though to Philly though. Lots of juicy pieces to come back in that trade
this, if we were to trade Edler, something around B Schenn/Couts would spark my interest . Still would need a cheap D back though to make sure Alberts isnt in our top 6.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:17 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Yeah, no way on that too. We have a big inconsistent forward in Kassian, we don't need another. Edler is rounding into form here - if he continue that into the playoffs, he is way bigger an asset than a Lucic.

Aside from when Lucic is scrapping I am never really impressed by him. A lot of scowl and a whole lot of ineffective play. He's like the Kevin Bieksa of forwards, only he's a heavyweight.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:37 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
this, if we were to trade Edler, something around B Schenn/Couts would spark my interest . Still would need a cheap D back though to make sure Alberts isnt in our top 6.
LOL, that would spark your interest????? Considering they would not part with those players for Weber, I think that's unlikely.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
LOL, that would spark your interest????? Considering they would not part with those players for Weber, I think that's unlikely.
The asking price for Weber was Couturier + Schenn ++, and that was as a RFA looking to get paid, and Holmgren thought he had a solid chance to offer sheet him, which he did.

Edler is signed through his prime at 5 mil, and I'd assume we'd only be asking for one of Couturier/Schenn with maybe a small+. Either way I don't want to trade Edler right now barring overpayment. We shouldn't be shopping him at all.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:57 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Edler > B Schenn/Couts

Some major undervaluing going on of Edler and major over valuing of Schenn and Coutierier

Old
04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
LPH

Quote:
I believe they wanted both Schenn and Couturier and another piece in the deal. If Philly wouldn't move Schenn or Couturier for Weber than that is a huge missed opportunity. They are good, but not worth a Weber type player alone.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'd give it a hard look and probably do the same. As much as we need Lucic, we need a player like Edler even more. I can see why some are willing to trade him. He has not been good this year. But when he's on, I think he is the most valuable piece of the puzzle for our team.
His 'bad' is on pace for 40 points...if that's his bad, yeah, I can see the hesitation to trade him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I'm all for trading Bieksa but I wouldn't trade him for Lucic. Very overrated and his contract is way to rich for us. Edler for Lucic is a terrible, terrible trade.
I think Bieksa for Lucic is actually worse for us. Garrison is showing he is able to take Edler's role, but look at our team with out Bieksa this year...unless we completely change the face of our defensive strategy, I'd argue Bieksa is worth more (to us) then Edler.

Quote:
Hell no to Edler for Lucic.

Lucic is way more inconsistent and carries a big cap hit. We don't need that during this cap crunch, especially because of D becomes absolutely horribad.

Hamhuis bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Alberts Corrado

No depth, and Alberts as a regular is a bad idea.
Alberts seems to have turned it around (figures, it's a contract year...) but we do also have players like Sauve who haven't looked terrible. Banking on Corrado (and this isn't just me doing this) as a top six right hander might need a few more games and playoffs to ensure that he is ready, but I don't think that part is a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I'd be hesitant to trade Edler to Philly, mostly since we can't decide on a price.

Quote:
I don't think either of those two can hold a scented candle to what Lucic can do. A million dollar cap increase to get a forward who, admittedly when he is on, can dominate a game, add extra snarl to our top six and tutor players like Kassian a little bit, or at least push him...I don't know, that would be more worthwhile to me then Couts or Schenn.

Plus. they're only really useful if we don't intend to keep Roy...and then we have like 4 million off my roster to play with in difference...so I don't know what to make there.

Quote:
Yeah, no way on that too. We have a big inconsistent forward in Kassian, we don't need another. Edler is rounding into form here - if he continue that into the playoffs, he is way bigger an asset than a Lucic.

Aside from when Lucic is scrapping I am never really impressed by him. A lot of scowl and a whole lot of ineffective play. He's like the Kevin Bieksa of forwards, only he's a heavyweight.
Kassian's best, so far, is a 21 point season. This matches Lucic's, but at the same time, this is being matched, or slightly reduced this year. Lucic has two 60 point campaigns, and this year is close to 50 if he gets a few points, which is his "horrible" drop this season.

The fights help, as he is a step up on Kassian or Bieksa, but honestly, that's not the big reason I'd want him here.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I feel Lucic is a player that would improve our team (clearly). Would there be other packages that you feel Boston would accept, that we could work with as well, and that wouldn't create a hole elsewhere on the roster?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:30 AM
LPH

Quote:
Alberts seems to have turned it around (figures, it's a contract year...) but we do also have players like Sauve who haven't looked terrible. Banking on Corrado (and this isn't just me doing this) as a top six right hander might need a few more games and playoffs to ensure that he is ready, but I don't think that part is a stretch.
I do not have enough faith in Alberts being consistent enough to handle a #6 spot, especially next to a rookie that will undoubtedly go through the occasional rough stretch as he is adjusting to the NHL. He is a very good #7 guy, but I don't want him in our starting lineup.

Quote:
I don't think either of those two can hold a scented candle to what Lucic can do. A million dollar cap increase to get a forward who, admittedly when he is on, can dominate a game, add extra snarl to our top six and tutor players like Kassian a little bit, or at least push him...I don't know, that would be more worthwhile to me then Couts or Schenn.

Plus. they're only really useful if we don't intend to keep Roy...and then we have like 4 million off my roster to play with in difference...so I don't know what to make there.
Couturier and Schenn both have cheap contracts which are extremely valuable next season, and would give us money to sign Roy to a nice contract. Then we could roll with Higgins/Roy/Kesler as our second line and Couturier or Schenn on our third line with Hansen/Kassian/Burrows/Jensen etc. We would be good down the middle, with depth, and have a kickass second line.

Quote:
Kassian's best, so far, is a 21 point season. This matches Lucic's, but at the same time, this is being matched, or slightly reduced this year. Lucic has two 60 point campaigns, and this year is close to 50 if he gets a few points, which is his "horrible" drop this season.

The fights help, as he is a step up on Kassian or Bieksa, but honestly, that's not the big reason I'd want him here.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I feel Lucic is a player that would improve our team (clearly). Would there be other packages that you feel Boston would accept, that we could work with as well, and that wouldn't create a hole elsewhere on the roster?
As much as I would like someone like Lucic on this team, he is far too inconsistent for his contract, and because he is a winger, I don't know if this is the best move for us. I also question if he would have chemistry with Kesler, who desperately needs a playmaker (unless we are planning on playing him with the twins).

Old
04-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Lundface

Quote:
His 'bad' is on pace for 40 points...if that's his bad, yeah, I can see the hesitation to trade him.

I think Bieksa for Lucic is actually worse for us. Garrison is showing he is able to take Edler's role, but look at our team with out Bieksa this year...unless we completely change the face of our defensive strategy, I'd argue Bieksa is worth more (to us) then Edler.

I'd be hesitant to trade Edler to Philly, mostly since we can't decide on a price.

Garrison does not replace Edler, he replaced Salo.

That Bieksa stat is very misleading. The first time he got injured was during the Kesler injury, with no set d pairings and Hamhuis/Garrison both playing poorly. This one is with Tanev and Ballard injured as well and Alberts/Barker playing.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:11 AM
David71

time for nucks to draft/find some right handed dman. sure they got bieska/tanev/corrado but other than that nobody else.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:16 AM
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
time for nucks to draft/find some right handed dman. sure they got bieska/tanev/corrado but other than that nobody else.
Uhhh.. why? How many do you need? Both Bieksa and Tanev are top-4 defensemen already that are going to be here for the next 3+ years. Corrado is developing nicely and is another potential top-4 defensemen.

Closed Thread