HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Season Roster

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
  #76
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I'm glad you are not the GM, I don't like any of the trades.
Whether or not one likes what he did, I certainly really appreciate he actually took the time to make REASONABLE projections and kept it under budget. Most people just want to gripe about any idea anybody throws out by saying that we need a couple of extra thirty goal scorers up front. Huge pet peeve of mine. I do a mental "no **** sherlock" every time.

He trades have a reasonable chance of being accepted by the other party and his signings are actually monetarily sensible, and his roster is one that actually works in the context of a real life budget.

No ripping off other teams for star players, and no signing UFAs to insane discounts of 40% off for no reason, and no going 15 million dollars over budget.

Well done Sceva Sct.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
  #77
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Alright, I'm bored enough to actually try and make a roster for next year, numbers next to names would be actual salary not caphit:

Boedker (2.5M) - Krejci (5.25M) - Doan(5.55M)
Kopecky(3M) - Hanzal(2.75M) - Vrbata(3M)
Miele(850K) - Goc(1.7M) - Brown(870K)
Klinkhammer(1M) - Gordon(1.6M) - Moss(2.1M)
Bissonnette(750K)

Ekman-Larsson(3.5M) - Michalek(4M)
Schlemko(1.1M) - Stone(1.25M)
Klesla(2.975M) - Rundblad(1M)
Valabik(650K) or Summers(850K)

Smith(3.5M)
Johnson(1M)

Total money in salary: $49.895M - $50.095M (depending on Summers/Valabik)

Trades:
Yandle to Boston for Krejci + pick: Don't really want to do this now as I'd rather wait for Gormley and Rundblad to pan out before making a decision on the left side D, but it would give us a legit top 2 center. Krejci is only signed for 2 more years so I'd want something coming back in addition. Krejci also brings a cup ring.

Vermette + Korpikoski to Florida for Kopecky + Goc + pick: A little bit of a money saving and flexibility in the future move here. Florida may lose Weiss so Vermette would be a skill upgrade on Goc. Could drop Kopecky and Korpi from deal depending on money and preference,but Kopecky, like Krejci, brings a cup ring. Goc, very reliable wouldn't lose much on faceoffs, brings more offensively than Chip does. He is UFA after next season so I'd want some assurances or a pick coming back.

Morris moved for a pick(s)

If Gormley forces our hand and proves ready we could move Klesla, thereby saving money.

Signings:
Most are self explanatory, fudge with the numbers as you want.
Backloaded Boedkers deal to save money now, but I'd have him at about a 3M caphit.
I'd rather have Summers as 7th but I'm assuming he walks so Valabik is in Portland and doing fine, has NHL experience so sign him cheap as a 7th dman.
Miele, I don't know, maybe give him a shot on wing or find someone in free agency. Not necessarily make or break, but what the heck. He has skill, familiarity with Brown and Goc is very reliable, maybe it could work. If not, bump Klink up and play Biz until we find a replacement.
If Smith wants more than that, he can walk cause we can't afford it. I guess then I'd look at Neuvirth by trade or Griess in UFA.
Not bad, not bad at all. Now if we can only get a top eight pick this year.

Jakey53 is online now  
Old
04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
  #78
Mosby
Howl On
 
Mosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Two intangibles to look for if we're not re-signing Smith:

1. A goalie with exceptional puckhandling skills. How important is this to Dave Tippett's system? Remember, he had another great puckhandler in Dallas with Marty Turco.

2. The goalie's ability to steal a game. We've seen how many games Smith has stolen for us, specifically in last year's playoffs. If we can't make significant upgrades up front, we're going to need our goalie to win a lot of games for us.

Mosby is online now  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:21 PM
  #79
Redcoyote
Hungry
 
Redcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Until we can get a #1 center, which I am beginning to doubt will ever happen, we are going to have to stay dedicated to playing defensive hockey with a dominate goalie and scoring timely goals when the opposition makes mistakes.

The difference between this team and last years team has been Whitney leaving and Vrbata being out for a big chunk of the regular season. I am not sure what our record was when Vrbata was out but that seemed about the time that we dropped in the standings.

I don't care how boring people claimed we were last year with the way we played. I loved frustrating other teams and fans. I loved seeing the Coyotes play smart, dedicated hockey. I am not sure where to place the blame but the team this year has just looked sloppy, whether its not capitalizing in the offensive zone or defensive lapses that leave our goalies out to dry.

Its going to be another year with only 1-2 players worthy of playing top six minutes and having three 3rd lines. Hell this year Yandle and OEL are two of our better offensive players. Next year one of the only positives we can count on is that we should see some more growth from Stone and Rundblad. We might get 30 goals from those 4 defensemen.

Out of our forwards Vrbata is the only one likely to get 25+ goals. Doan is still has heart but he'll be lucky to get 20+. Hanzal, Boedker, Korpi, Vermette are all unlikely to get more than 15 goals. They are well rounded players but they aren't finishers.

We are going to live or die on whether or not we can have a dominate goalie that gives us a chance to win every night. As its been said we don't have the luxury to just throw money as good players. We can't afford to give Smith a paycheck on what might have just been a fluke season where all the stars aligned. His play before and after that season have warranted no where near a big payday.

If Smith returns to form and resigns for a decent amount or if we go a different route and lightening strikes twice and we get the best out of a goalie we are looking at a team that will battle for 6-8th in the west. We simply won't have the kind of offensive scoring to threaten LA and Anaheim over the course of the season.

If we don't get a dominate goalie we are going to give up bad goals and then have to take more risks and chances to create opportunities. Our offense won't be able to capitalize and we'lll end up giving more chances, ending up down several goals and packing it in before the 3rd period even starts. It could get ugly. My only hope is that Maloney won't allow that to happen (if he is still around)

I know that landing a player would Staal or Tavares would result in having to adjust the rest of the lineup. If Maloney has shown anything its that he can find cheap 3rd line talent. So yeah we might have to move some higher paid players that aren't playing as much but I'd rather have that problem. Its pointless speculation at any rate because we aren't landing a top line center or a 30 goal scorer. This team's idea of addressing the offense is signing Sullivan, bringing in Conner and letting him compete with Miele.

Redcoyote is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:23 PM
  #80
Redcoyote
Hungry
 
Redcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Two intangibles to look for if we're not re-signing Smith:

1. A goalie with exceptional puckhandling skills. How important is this to Dave Tippett's system? Remember, he had another great puckhandler in Dallas with Marty Turco.

2. The goalie's ability to steal a game. We've seen how many games Smith has stolen for us, specifically in last year's playoffs. If we can't make significant upgrades up front, we're going to need our goalie to win a lot of games for us.
Amen

Redcoyote is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  #81
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tippet's Doghouse
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Pros going into next season:
OEL, Stone and Boeds will be a year older
More practices, and video time.
More rest. I think this will prevent many of the injuries that happened this year.

Just say the entire line-up and coaching/GM staff stays the same next year; I think they will be tighter defensively just because of the normal schedule alone. Still need to address scoring, and until Gormely or Rundblad prove themselves I am not sure this will happen with Yandle still on the team.

Grimes is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 11:44 PM
  #82
Redcoyote
Hungry
 
Redcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Pros going into next season:
OEL, Stone and Boeds will be a year older
More practices, and video time.
More rest. I think this will prevent many of the injuries that happened this year.

Just say the entire line-up and coaching/GM staff stays the same next year; I think they will be tighter defensively just because of the normal schedule alone. Still need to address scoring, and until Gormely or Rundblad prove themselves I am not sure this will happen with Yandle still on the team.
I think the defense will be better. Having a full training camp to go into and having OEL, Stone, Rundblad and Gormley all improving along with hopefully having Michalek get more comfortable.

The real question will be how much worse will our offense be. I don't think Boedker is going to turn into anything more than a 40-50 point scorer at this point. As much as I hope I'm wrong I doubt Chipchura and Klinkhammer come out scoring goals and creating chances they way they did at point this year (if either is even resigned)

Redcoyote is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 12:38 AM
  #83
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,175
vCash: 500
Let's not forget that slapping down 48 games in 99 days is a complete ****ing joke.

rt is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:32 AM
  #84
theTik41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
why does everyone seem to think rundblad is going to be on the team next year? he had a chance this year and lost out to stone. honestly i dont think he is going to be playing in the nhl, i see him going over to the khl or european team. all those highlights of him were in sweden not the nhl. i think he has a ton of talent but the fact is, he is on his 3rd nhl team and is still not an nhl player (not even the 7th dman). i wish we could have turned him into a winger.

theTik41 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 03:45 AM
  #85
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Let's not forget that slapping down 48 games in 99 days is a complete ****ing joke.
For sure and losing Korpi, Z, Vrbata and Smith for almost a third of the season really didn't help matters much either. I personally kind of dismissed the injuries until I thought about it in full season terms in which case they would've missed roughly 25 games each, that's a lot.

Sinurgy is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:09 AM
  #86
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTik41 View Post
why does everyone seem to think rundblad is going to be on the team next year? he had a chance this year and lost out to stone. honestly i dont think he is going to be playing in the nhl, i see him going over to the khl or european team. all those highlights of him were in sweden not the nhl. i think he has a ton of talent but the fact is, he is on his 3rd nhl team and is still not an nhl player (not even the 7th dman). i wish we could have turned him into a winger.
The primary reason Stone won out over Stone is that Stone is a much better defensive d'man.
As well as the short preseason and the pathetic, condensed regular season which limited the 'look at'!
Coach Tippet likes to pair an offensive d'man with a defensive one.
Rundblad will not supplant Ekman-Larsson or Yandle, so he'll be battling for a roster spot with Schlemko (who isn't waiver exempt), the player I've been saying "the possibility of trading Yandle because of the emergence of Sclemko". IMO, this team is full of top 4 d'man and the belief that GMMaloney will rectify the perceived 'logjam' (probably at the draft and/or after free agency starts).

IMO, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Keith Yandle, Zbynek Michalek, Derek Morris, David Schlemko, Rostislav Klesla, Michael Stone, David Rundblad, and Chris Summers
deserve to be in the NHL. While Gormley should be soon (hopefully).

If you are wondering why Maloney didn't move d'man at the deadline, it's because more teams could be interested after the season. Teams that are looking at the deadline wouldn't want to move players for players at that time and draft picks don't fill the roster for next season and is a gamble (at the draft, you are targeting certain players).

DesertDawg is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:14 AM
  #87
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTik41 View Post
why does everyone seem to think rundblad is going to be on the team next year? he had a chance this year and lost out to stone. honestly i dont think he is going to be playing in the nhl, i see him going over to the khl or european team. all those highlights of him were in sweden not the nhl. i think he has a ton of talent but the fact is, he is on his 3rd nhl team and is still not an nhl player (not even the 7th dman). i wish we could have turned him into a winger.
He's only been in North America for a season and a half and he's made a TON of progress defensively. What more could you want? It took Keith Yandle two full seasons of North American pro hockey to crack the NHL full time. Yandle also had the benefit of cracking the roster for a crappy team, with crappy D depth and a crappy head coach who felt no need for an actual system for the players to learn. Things are different now. Rundblad is right on pace. You are just impatient.
0
Concerning the trades, you are just working that angle to try and justify your impatience. St Louis used the 17th overall pick to acquire him, then Ottawa used the 16th overall pick to acquire him, then Phoenix used a recent 3rd overall pick to acquire him. I'd say his value has remained solid. Your point might stand if he fetched less each time. He hasn't. That means he's wanted, not that he's not wanted.

If a car sold six times and turned a profit for the previous owner each time would you say nobody wants that lemon ?


Last edited by rt: 04-25-2013 at 09:27 AM.
rt is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
  #88
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's only been in North America for a season and a half and he's made a TON of progress defensively. What more could you want? It took Keith Yandle two full seasons of North American pro hockey to crack the NHL full time. Yandle also had the benefit of cracking the roster for a crappy team, with crappy D depth and a crappy head coach who felt no need for an actual system for the players to learn. Things are different now. Rundblad is right on pace. You are just impatient.
0
Concerning the trades, you are just working that angle to try and justify your impatience. St Louis used the 17th overall pick to acquire him, then Ottawa used the 16th overall pick to acquire him, then Phoenix used a recent 3rd overall pick to acquire him. I'd say his value has remained solid. Your point might stand if he fetched less each time. He hasn't. That means he's wanted, not that he's not wanted.

If a car sold six times and turned a profit for the previous owner each time would you say nobody wants that lemon ?
Well said. I, for one am stoked for Rundblad. A TON of offensive upside. Imagine a future pairing of OEL/Rundblad. If our system can turn defenseman such as Schlemko and Stone into top 6 defensemen, imagine what we can do with a well developed Rundblad.

Rabbit is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
  #89
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
For sure and losing Korpi, Z, Vrbata and Smith for almost a third of the season really didn't help matters much either. I personally kind of dismissed the injuries until I thought about it in full season terms in which case they would've missed roughly 25 games each, that's a lot.
Also, the fact that Sullivan and Lombardi were complete busts, really devastated our offense. Sullivan had 21 power play points last season. Whitney had twenty and Vrbata only 17 for comparisons sake. Sullivan has been a deadly pp threat his entire career. You'd think even as an old man he'd hang on to at keast that ability. A lot of tines old guys turn into specialists of one kind or another late in their careers. Sulkivan was useless on our powerplay and hurt more often than helped.

Speaking of the pp, there needs to be some serious accountability for that mess. Don Maloney needs to shake up the coaching staff. If John Anderson was running the PP, he needs to be fired. If Dave Tippett was running the PP he needs to be banned from it and forced to hand the reigns cimpletley over to Anderson one hundred percent. Having 5'4'' teve Sullivan manning the point with his 36" stick an two foot reach is inexcusble. He should've been QBing from the half wall. Having David Moss spend every PP sitting on the bench instead of parked in front of the net is inexcusable. He's an EXCELLENT net front presence with the man advantage.

Don Maloney and his staff went out to the market and brought home excellent tools for fixing our broke PP. The coaching staff misused those tools and completely botched the job. It's time for Maloney to turn his attention to the staff rather than the personnel for his next attempt to fix the PP.

rt is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
  #90
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
For sure and losing Korpi, Z, Vrbata and Smith for almost a third of the season really didn't help matters much either. I personally kind of dismissed the injuries until I thought about it in full season terms in which case they would've missed roughly 25 games each, that's a lot.
I didn't like the 48 game schedule either, but it was the same for every team. Some teams had more injuries than others but you can not use that as an excuse. We missed the playoffs because of lack of talent.

Jakey53 is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:03 AM
  #91
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Also, the fact that Sullivan and Lombardi were complete busts, really devastated our offense. Sullivan had 21 power play points last season. Whitney had twenty and Vrbata only 17 for comparisons sake. Sullivan has been a deadly pp threat his entire career. You'd think even as an old man he'd hang on to at keast that ability. A lot of tines old guys turn into specialists of one kind or another late in their careers. Sulkivan was useless on our powerplay and hurt more often than helped.

Speaking of the pp, there needs to be some serious accountability for that mess. Don Maloney needs to shake up the coaching staff. If John Anderson was running the PP, he needs to be fired. If Dave Tippett was running the PP he needs to be banned from it and forced to hand the reigns cimpletley over to Anderson one hundred percent. Having 5'4'' teve Sullivan manning the point with his 36" stick an two foot reach is inexcusble. He should've been QBing from the half wall. Having David Moss spend every PP sitting on the bench instead of parked in front of the net is inexcusable. He's an EXCELLENT net front presence with the man advantage.

Don Maloney and his staff went out to the market and brought home excellent tools for fixing our broke PP. The coaching staff misused those tools and completely botched the job. It's time for Maloney to turn his attention to the staff rather than the personnel for his next attempt to fix the PP.
I agree, but I think if we had more talent, the PP would have been better. We have had different coaches try different things over the past three years but nothing has worked. But I do agree that with the tools we had they were misused.

Jakey53 is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
  #92
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Well said. I, for one am stoked for Rundblad. A TON of offensive upside. Imagine a future pairing of OEL/Rundblad. If our system can turn defenseman such as Schlemko and Stone into top 6 defensemen, imagine what we can do with a well developed Rundblad.
Right. We have to be patient.

Jakey53 is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
  #93
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 45,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I didn't like the 48 game schedule either, but it was the same for every team. Some teams had more injuries than others but you can not use that as an excuse. We missed the playoffs because of lack of talent.
There is a reason why heavily system based, tight defensive teams have struggled this year. Teams that are effective as a cohesive unit, rather than a bunch of individuals have suffered. The reason being the rash of injuries, the total lack of training camp, and no practice time. The Blues were the top Western team last year, no? The Hawks barely squeaked in. Now they've flip flopped. Anaheim was a whipping post last year. Now? Toast of the league. Hell, even Edmonton looked half decent for part of the year. If it had been a 24 game season, they'd have made it. Nashville and Phoenix are traditionally always right there, both teams have been well out of it basically the whole year.

I'm not saying this schedule we've been almost totally ineffective this season. I am saying it's a contributing factor to our been less effective this season. There are other factors, but this is one of them.

Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, etc. can just show up and dominate. Guys like Hanzal, Fisher, Legwand, Vermette, etc. need the help of the entire team to lift them up and make them effective. Game breakers versus system players. It's really no wonder.

rt is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
  #94
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
I'll answer your questions, starting with paragraph 2:

Everyone says our D is better. I am one of the people who doesn't think so. While we may be giving up fewer shots on goal, we are allowing better quality shots. Same with scoring chances. Just b/c there is a decrease in shots or scoring chances doesn't mean that we are allowing similar quality opportunities. Our shots against per game could have gone down for several reasons:

1. We added Z back, which means an added shot blocker in the mix. If our number of blocked shots has increased, that means fewer pucks are getting to the goal, hence our shots on goal go down. That's an entirely plausible reason for why our shots on goal against has decreased.

2. Teams in the West got a taste of Smith's ability to play the puck last year. How do we know that coaches haven't been instructed to make sure that you dump the puck behind, rather than shooting at Smith so he can glove it, put it down, and play the puck? Difference is, when you glove it and play it, it counts as a shot on goal.

Last year, we gave up 31.6 SOG, and this year, it is 30.2. You could easily make the case that if an additional shot or two gets blocked per game and teams are avoiding letting Smith play the puck, that makes up the difference right there on a nightly basis.

Our forwards and d-men have also made far more turnovers that have led to odd-man rushes and shots that are tough to turn away. People have posted as much on these boards, so maybe, on paper we look like a better defense than what we have actually put on the ice.

As for the Whitney thing - I didn't say that we were a stronger goal-scoring team. I said we were stronger on the puck. Meaning that Whitney knew where to put the puck so that our players had the best chance to get it, whether that is in the corners, or tape-to-tape passes. I think that can be echoed when you look at the veterans we did not keep in Whitney, Rozsival, and Aucoin - all veteran players who had that "feel" for when and where to play the puck. I think we lost some of that going into this year, which is why we are seeing goals scored as fairly similar, but overall our possession of the puck has been slightly lacking. Plus, as we have found ourselves down more, our D is more likely to cheat up to join the rush, which again, can create problems in terms of quality scoring chances by the other team, b/c we may be out of position more often.

I don't think Smith has had a great year, but he has certainly not been the sole reason why we are struggling. I think our D has been out of position far more times this year than any of the other previous three years, and that is why the goals against are reflected as such. Again, go to NHL.com, and look at some of these games where 4+ goals are given up, and I think that you will see the same number of "bad" goals (goals Smith wants back) as last year in the replays. But you will see more goals scored from areas of the ice where we would not allow opponents to sneak into in previous seasons. That could be related to Smith if he is not talking with our defense, but I think that is an issue where everyone in the back 6 is not doing enough...
I can see your point on blocked shots influencing shots against. I still think, and I heard Tip in an interview, scoring chances are down for the year. With no practice time, at the beginning of the season, you would think scoring chances would be up with the sloppy play, but they are not. It leads me to think Smith was making those key saves last year but not this year, while scoring chances were less and they should be more based on sloppy early play and no preparations. It is always easier to remember defensive lapses when they end up in our net(this year) but not when Smith makes a great save(last year). I think Smith was 80% of the solution last year and 80% of the problem for the team this year. No preparation, Smith being injured and over worked, might have something to do with his performance.

The subject of our D being not as good as last year, then which D? Yandle seems similar, Z is a shot blocking machine, DMO was 20 pounds lighter and clearly better, OEL was good, Stone they are very happy with, Klesla is solid. Who underperformed? I would take Stone and Z this year over Rozi and AA performance wise..

cobra427 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
  #95
Etch
Registered User
 
Etch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 721
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I can see your point on blocked shots influencing shots against. I still think, and I heard Tip in an interview, scoring chances are down for the year. With no practice time, at the beginning of the season, you would think scoring chances would be up with the sloppy play, but they are not. It leads me to think Smith was making those key saves last year but not this year, while scoring chances were less and they should be more based on sloppy early play and no preparations. It is always easier to remember defensive lapses when they end up in our net(this year) but not when Smith makes a great save(last year). I think Smith was 80% of the solution last year and 80% of the problem for the team this year. No preparation, Smith being injured and over worked, might have something to do with his performance.

The subject of our D being not as good as last year, then which D? Yandle seems similar, Z is a shot blocking machine, DMO was 20 pounds lighter and clearly better, OEL was good, Stone they are very happy with, Klesla is solid. Who underperformed? I would take Stone and Z this year over Rozi and AA performance wise..

Would agree with this. It's also worth mentioning how in the not too distant past (last year) bashing Yandle was pretty common for give aways and bonehead moves. You often don't notice unless things are going wrong, and I think Yandle's defense has actually improved. Similar argument could be made for Morris, and he just flat out looks so much better this season. I don't buy the defense underperforming one bit, and like Cobra said, neither does Tippet.

Etch is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  #96
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs
 
Sindiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,553
vCash: 500
Fellas, the difference isn't so much the "D" as it was the forwards having the puck a lot more last season vs this season. It seemed last season we had the puck (possession wise) a lot more.

This year, it seemed that we'd get 1 shot, then no rebounds...yesterday was actually pretty decent at continued pressure in the offensive zone, we had that a lot last year and a lot of that was due to Whitney, he knows how to control the play, just like others have said.

This year, we were basically a turnover machine in the offensive zone from the forwards and Yandle's occasional lapse of channeling Jovonovski.

The "D" is better, the forwards weren't...it makes a big difference. We weren't healthy, last year we were, it makes a big difference, especially when we had to call up career AHLers to Bolduc, Johnson, Connor to help out and Sullivan was absolute garbage.

Moss was the only positive from the offseason as he was without a doubt better than Pyatt at every part of the game.

Sindiggy is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
  #97
BUX7PHX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I can see your point on blocked shots influencing shots against. I still think, and I heard Tip in an interview, scoring chances are down for the year. With no practice time, at the beginning of the season, you would think scoring chances would be up with the sloppy play, but they are not. It leads me to think Smith was making those key saves last year but not this year, while scoring chances were less and they should be more based on sloppy early play and no preparations. It is always easier to remember defensive lapses when they end up in our net(this year) but not when Smith makes a great save(last year). I think Smith was 80% of the solution last year and 80% of the problem for the team this year. No preparation, Smith being injured and over worked, might have something to do with his performance.

The subject of our D being not as good as last year, then which D? Yandle seems similar, Z is a shot blocking machine, DMO was 20 pounds lighter and clearly better, OEL was good, Stone they are very happy with, Klesla is solid. Who underperformed? I would take Stone and Z this year over Rozi and AA performance wise..
Still not sure that this team truly was better on defense, though. Defense being a five person group - we were out of position far more often.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but what I did was go back to ESPN.com, and click on some individual games. The sample size is obviously small, and completely random. Maybe I happened to choose all awful games this year, and our best games last year.... who knows?

However, the number of shots that opposing teams took last year between the circles is far fewer than the number that occurred this season, when looking at the games, as a whole.

Again, I can't say that every game is like this, but here is a game from this season vs. last:

2012-13 season:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400443054

2011-12 season:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400047541

While this is a poor sample, b/c this obviously only shows 1 game from last year vs. 1 game from this year - just look at where the concentration of shots is coming from on the ice. While it is only 1 game, this is indicative of the subset of games that I flipped through this season. There comes a point where a goalie can't stop all of these shots, considering the increased percentage taken between the circles. You can say that, in theory, our defense has played better, but I think that if we were to look at a comparison of all games from last year vs. this, you would see a greater concentration of shots against during this year occurring in high percentage scoring areas, as opposed to last year.

Edit: if you open up the games, click on the rink, and it will show shots, penalties, and goals. Make sure you click off the "penalties" button to clearly see where the concentration of shots is coming from.

BUX7PHX is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:15 PM
  #98
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,652
vCash: 500
My college try at a $50 million roster for next year. Needless to say, it was pretty difficult, especially since I wanted to keep Yandle and resign Smith.

Doan ($5.300m) - Hanzal ($3.100m) - Vrbata ($3.000m)
Boedker ($2.500m) - Boyes ($2.000m) - Korpikoski ($2.250m)
McMillan ($0.800m) - Vermette ($3.750m) - Leblanc ($1.170m)
Chipchura ($0.750m) - Hendricks ($0.900m) - Moss ($2.100m)
Klinkhammer ($0.750m)

OEL ($5.500m) - Stone ($1.100m)
Yandle ($5.250m) - Morris ($2.750m)
Schlemko ($1.188m) - Rundblad ($1.000m)
Summers ($0.900m)

Smith ($3.500m)
Johnson ($0.750m)

CAP PAYROLL: $50,427,500

Trade: Michalek for Louis Leblanc (MTL)

A gamble, as Z is Z, but Leblanc is young (and should be easily re-signable as an RFA in 2014), has Top 6 upside, can play some center, and also has a two-way game. I think Stone can take the next step and fit in as OEL's partner on the first pairing - the two have played well together in Portland during the lockout.

Klesla for a draft pick (ideally a 2nd rounder)

UFA signings:

Boyes (he's played center before decently, at $2 million he's worth a gamble to perhaps be a go-to guy for Boedker on the 2nd line)

Hendricks (Gordon + BizNasty replacement on the 4th line, and a SO specialist)

Other re-signings should be self-explanatory, cap hits should be in the realistic range.


Last edited by IPreferPi: 04-25-2013 at 11:35 PM.
IPreferPi is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
  #99
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tippet's Doghouse
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Just an idea, Ryder will be a UFA, and on a team not in our division. Currently at 3.5
Klesla for a pick. Maybe trade Z or Morris if space still needs to be made. I do think there needs to be two veterans on the blue line, and I would count Yandle as one by next year.

Grimes is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:41 PM
  #100
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tippet's Doghouse
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
How is Bozak in his own end, and on the dot?

Grimes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.