HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Quick Delayed Penalty Goals (Rule Change?)

Old
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

vCash: 500
Quick Delayed Penalty Goals (Rule Change?)

One rule I do not understand is why a penalty is nullified if a team scores quickly on a delayed penalty. I can understand wiping the penalty if the team pulls their goalie and scores during the 6 on 5. What I don't get is why the team does not still get a power play when they score immediately after the ref raises his arm. How was the team taking the penalty penalized? The goal that gets scored against them is not punishment for taking the penalty if it occurs within seconds.

This just happened on Stamkos' goal tonight. He got hooked and scored literally one second later. Anyone else not like the current rule?

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

It's fine. If it didn't stop them from scoring, why penalize?

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:27 PM
msrulo

It's not the scorers fault against the person taking the penalty. I like the rule.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Rayzorexe
Nothing Special

The rule is fine. It works similarly to a penalty shot.

Rayzorexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
I agree with the OP. The goal being scored on the delayed penalty is still even-strength.

04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

It doesn't have to be the scorer drawing the penalty though. A team could score while there is a delayed penalty because of an interference call behind the play. I always thought it was the player's conduct that was being penalized, not the denial of a scoring chance, while those may not always be mutually exclusive.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
It doesn't have to be the scorer drawing the penalty though. A team could score while there is a delayed penalty because of an interference call behind the play. I always thought it was the player's conduct that was being penalized, not the denial of a scoring chance, while those may not always be mutually exclusive.
Interesting point, actually. I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I think you're right in principle.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
JGuardz

Quote:
I always took it as the players conduct potentially negated a scoring chance, and as a result the delayed penalty is nullified when you score a goal.

Plus, i'd prefer not getting scored against twice on what could have potentially been a weak call..

JGuardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Hynh

The rule is fine but the penalty should still show up on the boxscore.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuntt View Post
I always took it as the players conduct potentially negated a scoring chance, and as a result the delayed penalty is nullified when you score a goal.

Plus, i'd prefer not getting scored against twice on what could have potentially been a weak call..
Not really. High-sticking isn't about negating a scoring chance, and roughing often isn't either. Really, a penalty is for breaking the rules... and if you get scored on before it's called, you still broke the rules.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
It's fine. If it didn't stop them from scoring, why penalize?
For the sake of argument, Daniel Sedin scored on a breakaway against the Hawks. Duncan Keith took a 2 handed swing at him 1 second before scoring, the arm went up and then down. It was essentially a free swing. Not that it matters.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
For the sake of argument, Daniel Sedin scored on a breakaway against the Hawks. Duncan Keith took a 2 handed swing at him 1 second before scoring, the arm went up and then down. It was essentially a free swing. Not that it matters.
So what?

If the refs think he was taking advantage of the situation to maliciously attack a player, it's their prerogative to assess more than just a 2 minute minor.

If they think it was only worth a minor then so be it, it was just a minor penalty and wasn't enough to stop the player from scoring so it's wiped out by the goal.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:30 AM
TheOtherOne

When a penalty occurs, normal play stops immediately and the offended team gets a chance to score a goal. The chance lasts for up to 2 min + whatever extra time it takes for the immediate play to stop. As soon as a goal is scored, the chance ends.

It's consistent, you just have to think of it in the right way.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
When a penalty occurs, normal play stops immediately and the offended team gets a chance to score a goal. The chance lasts for up to 2 min + whatever extra time it takes for the immediate play to stop. As soon as a goal is scored, the chance ends.

Alright, I approve of this rationalization.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Art of Sedinery

What bugs me is when a player is on a breakaway, and the defender takes a ticky tack hooking penalty and the guy still gets a shot off. If you are going to take a penalty, make it worth while by actually negating a scoring chance!

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post

The only way normal play ends on delayed penalty is that the offending team can't touch the puck or else the whistle blows the play dead. Is that a significant disadvantage to the offending team? I don't see how the team that drew the penalty gets an advantage until the goalie hits the bench and the extra attacker comes out.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:06 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
The only way normal play ends on delayed penalty is that the offending team can't touch the puck or else the whistle blows the play dead. Is that a significant disadvantage to the offending team? I don't see how the team that drew the penalty gets an advantage until the goalie hits the bench and the extra attacker comes out.
The advantage they get is the guarantee that they will either get the next goal, or get to play for a couple minutes with 1 extra man. Any time between the delayed penalty being called and the whistle being blown is pure advantage time for the offended team, simply because of the guarantee that the only things that can happen during that time are a goal for them, or play stoppage leading to them being up a man. Ignoring own-goals of course.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
The rule is fine but the penalty should still show up on the boxscore.
Agreed

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:49 AM
coolboarder

What if a player that scored a goal in the breakaway but got clipped with the high-sticking that drew the blood in the process, would it be downgraded to 2 minutes or the 4-minutes double minor still assessed to the trailing player that clipped that player?

coolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
What if a player that scored a goal in the breakaway but got clipped with the high-sticking that drew the blood in the process, would it be downgraded to 2 minutes or the 4-minutes double minor still assessed to the trailing player that clipped that player?
Unless someones head is split open like a ripe melon and blood is fountaining onto the ice through very little contact from the offending player, it's unlikely that the ref would already be intending to assess a high sticking double minor in the period between the penalty and the stoppage.

Realistically, the ref would put his hand down because he was only intending to call a minor for high sticking, and no call would ever show up, even though the player is bleeding.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:02 AM
DL44

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
ooo.. good one. Someone email Kerry Fraser....

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
So what?

If the refs think he was taking advantage of the situation to maliciously attack a player, it's their prerogative to assess more than just a 2 minute minor.

If they think it was only worth a minor then so be it, it was just a minor penalty and wasn't enough to stop the player from scoring so it's wiped out by the goal.
I thought when I said "for the sake of argument" and "not that it matters" it would eliminate pointless responses. I was wrong. When will I learn?

Old
04-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Unless someones head is split open like a ripe melon and blood is fountaining onto the ice through very little contact from the offending player, it's unlikely that the ref would already be intending to assess a high sticking double minor in the period between the penalty and the stoppage.

Realistically, the ref would put his hand down because he was only intending to call a minor for high sticking, and no call would ever show up, even though the player is bleeding.
Are you stating that a goal would delete a double minor? Referees are NEVER intending to assess a double minor until it is clear blood was drawn. I am not sure why anyone would think "blood fountaining" or simply "blood appearing" would matter. Realistically, it doesn't seem like you understand NHL rules.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:33 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Because as soon as the penalized team touches the puck, the play is blown dead, meaning the team that is going to be on the PP can take any chances it wants without any possible mistake going the other way. Plus the extra attacker usually gets out there pretty quickly.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I've seen quick goals after a penalty was called and before the goalie (the non penalized goalie) could get off the ice... It's rare but it does happen...

In a way that is the equalizer for teams getting 2.1 or more minutes (delayed time) after a two minute penalty has been called...

Doing it your way (the OP) the delayed penalty should be scrapped and no goals count, when a penalty is called all play stops regardless of who has the puck.. The NHL has not decided to do it that way.

Last edited by Robert: 04-25-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote