HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Why is Adam Burish consistently playing over Gomez and Sheppard?

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 500
Why is Adam Burish consistently playing over Gomez and Sheppard?

Can anybody explain to me why Adam Burish has been scratched only once while Gomez and Sheppard are consistently scratched? I don't get it. Both of them are much better, Burish has made 1 good play in his Shark career.

Even if we continue winning, #TMacStillSucks

MarleauApologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
domon

$$$$$$

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Gomez and Sheppard dont play the same style game as Burish. while both are vastly better at the game of puck, they both need to play with good linemates to suceed and are unable to play the agitating, greasy style that burish does.

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Can anybody explain to me why Adam Burish has been scratched only once while Gomez and Sheppard are consistently scratched? I don't get it. Both of them are much better, Burish has made 1 good play in his Shark career.

Even if we continue winning, #TMacStillSucks
Same reason why Handzus and Murray were in the lineup when it was obvious that better players were riding the pine. If Sheppard is riding the pine in the playoffs, it'll be a shame because he is proving time and again to be better than quite a few forwards that get regular time right now like Burish, Desjardins, and even Wingels.

Hopefully, they can find a sucker in the off-season or just use the amnesty buyout on him because guys like him constantly get every opportunity that they don't deserve on this team and that's not a healthy environment to have for an organization.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Gomez and Sheppard dont play the same style game as Burish. while both are vastly better at the game of puck, they both need to play with good linemates to suceed and are unable to play the agitating, greasy style that burish does.
I'd completely agree if this was true, but Burish is consistently the guy getting agitated.

Can't deny he's greasy though, but not in a good way. Did you guys see his hair in a bun last night at Fan Appreciation night? disgusting

Old
04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I haven't counted, but I think that's 7,200,000 reasons.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
If he drew penalties with his style, it'd be one thing. Problem is he doesn't. He's a dumb hockey player that is passive most of the time between the whistles. To add to that, he's easily agitated himself and takes selfish penalties. Burish plays losing hockey and needs to sit when the playoffs come up.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

I hope he melts down in the playoffs so they buy him out.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If he drew penalties with his style, it'd be one thing. Problem is he doesn't. He's a dumb hockey player that is passive most of the time between the whistles. To add to that, he's easily agitated himself and takes selfish penalties. Burish plays losing hockey and needs to sit when the playoffs come up.
This.

He doesn't give it his all every shift.
He takes more penalties than he draws (18 mins of minor penalties, 5 for one fight in 44 games)
Average at best defensively
Ruins all offensive pressure every time he is on the ice.
1 goal in 44 games
Not physical, very soft player actually.

Basically, in a nutshell, he doesn't do ANY that a player of his skill level needs to in order to play at an NHL level at league minimum, much less when he's payed 1.85m/yr, and is getting 7.4million over 4 years.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
This.

He doesn't give it his all every shift.
He takes more penalties than he draws (18 mins of minor penalties, 5 for one fight in 44 games)
Average at best defensively
Ruins all offensive pressure every time he is on the ice.
1 goal in 44 games
Not physical, very soft player actually.

Basically, in a nutshell, he doesn't do ANY that a player of his skill level needs to in order to play at an NHL level at league minimum, much less when he's payed 1.85m/yr, and is getting 7.4million over 4 years.
He's a great example of what a speed player is without other skills or intelligence.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:33 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's a great example of what a speed player is without other skills or intelligence.
He's not even that fast... I'd rather have Taco.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's not even that fast... I'd rather have Taco.
Well, yeah I would too. Torrey has other skills and has vastly better defensive awareness and aggressiveness. Burish is fast for his position but he looks slower because of all the mistakes he makes especially if he has the puck on his stick or is in a defensive posture.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Sheppard was obviously the reason the Sharks lost therefore he will get scratched for the entire playoffs. Burish was just dragged down by having Sheppard on his line. /T-Mac logic

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:15 AM
oyster

#grit #toughness #guts

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:17 AM
murdock1116

I think the reason Burish is playing is because Tmac "thinks" he brings more value to the Penalty Kill. We see Burish play on the second line PK all the time. Tmac wouldn't trust Gomez or Sheppard to do that.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
#grit #toughness #guts
I'm waiting for those to be brought into his game. lol #dive #passive #gutless

Old
04-25-2013, 12:23 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
They think he'll block a shot and win a game I dunno #Toddlogic.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:08 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

because it's part of the pro-cess.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:18 AM
OrrNumber4

Speculatively? TMac simply feels that Burish is a better fit for his model fourth-line. Which, is poppycock. That is a reason for putting Burish over Kennedy. Gomez especially is simply the better player than Burish, who is little more than a warm body.

Without knowing what is going on behind the scenes, definitiveness is elusive. For example, Darryl Sutter used to play Andy Sutton over Andrei Zyuzin because while more talented, the latter was a lazy player while Sutton worked his tail off. Sutter wanted to convey to Zyuzin that he couldn't coast on his talent level.

(Cue the "no, Sutter didn't play Zyuzin because he is a Russian!!!")

That to, to be fair, both Gomez and Sheppard have had a history of not being totally "committed"

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:27 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Speculatively? TMac simply feels that Burish is a better fit for his model fourth-line. Which, is poppycock. That is a reason for putting Burish over Kennedy. Gomez especially is simply the better player than Burish, who is little more than a warm body."
Pretty sure Gomez was only scratched to rest him (he's been taking a beating the last few games). Why Burish is in over Sheppard all the time, who knows? The reason Burish is in over Kennedy is because Kennedy simply isn't a very good player. He sucks defensively, isn't physical at all, and he's only offensive when he's paired with skilled forwards (Top-6 forwards). It isn't "poppycock", Kennedy's skill-set doesn't work in the bottom-6, and he isn't good enough for the Top-6. Sheppard over Burish, easily. Kennedy over Burish, no.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Because he's made his way into the mystical land of Koala's favorites. The same place in Tmac's heart where Wallin, White, Murray, and Handzus once lived.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Speculatively? TMac simply feels that Burish is a better fit for his model fourth-line. Which, is poppycock. That is a reason for putting Burish over Kennedy. Gomez especially is simply the better player than Burish, who is little more than a warm body.
Gomez has skills and could create some opportunities if he's given some decent linemates. He was one of the better playmaking centers in the league in his prime. He has 15 pts in 39 games which means he's on pace for about 30 pts in an 82 game season which is 3rd line numbers while centering a 4th line with Burish and Desi. If Sheppard was on the 4th line instead of Burish, maybe they can generate more opportunities and the 4th line could be an offensive threat. Gomez is pretty shifty and Sheppard is pretty strong on the boards. Burish absolutely kills any offensive push the 4th line can have because he can't catch a pass, he refuses to shoot most of the time, and he can't win board battles. He has zero offensive impact. Gomez,Sheppard,Desi isn't the traditional checking 4th line but I bet they can dominate the majority of 4th lines.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:32 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Pretty sure Gomez was only scratched to rest him (he's been taking a beating the last few games). Why Burish is in over Sheppard all the time, who knows? The reason Burish is in over Kennedy is because Kennedy simply isn't a very good player. He sucks defensively, isn't physical at all, and he's only offensive when he's paired with skilled forwards (Top-6 forwards). It isn't "poppycock", Kennedy's skill-set doesn't work in the bottom-6, and he isn't good enough for the Top-6. Sheppard over Burish, easily. Kennedy over Burish, no.
You are misreading what I said.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:38 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
You are misreading what I said.
My bad. Did you mean it's poppycock as a reason to put Burish over Gomez, but it's okay to put Burish over Kennedy? I really think Gomez was only scratched because he's bruised.

In general, I don't necessarily think it's poppycock though. It's nice if your 4th line can score, but they can't be a liability defensively and they have to have some grit to their game. Sheppard has been better at both of those qualities than Burish this season. Kennedy provides neither of those qualities.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Burish is only playing for faceoffs and the PK, but he's just so bad at hockey. Everything about him rubs me the wrong way both on and off the ice.

I really wish TMac would go with Sheppard-Gomez-Desjardins as a fourth line. That's third line quality and would dominate other team's fourth lines.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote