HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Mikey09

vCash: 500
Vladivostok in, hope to see Medvescak aswell in this season, Gdansk and Stavanger Oilers in 14/15. But what about Milan? least interesting for me.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
Vladivostok in, hope to see Medvescak aswell in this season, Gdansk and Stavanger Oilers in 14/15. But what about Milan? least interesting for me.
Stavanger definitelly not for 14/15, at least according to info I have now. All can change within a year.

Milan is done deal, matter of time.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Faterson

What happened to Zagreb? Why not this year already? One of Slovak young star forwards plays there (Gašparovič).

Old
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
What happened to Zagreb? Why not this year already? One of Slovak young star forwards plays there (Gašparovič).
well KHL commission is in Zagreb right now, so who knows.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:17 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Media misintepreted Medvedev´s words, only webhokej24 was correct

Nothing is official, khl commison was in Zagreb (21-23.4). We will see, it is 50-50 now.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Mikey09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Media misintepreted Medvedev´s words, only webhokej24 was correct

Nothing is official, khl commison was in Zagreb (21-23.4). We will see, it is 50-50 now.
They'll be new Vityaz, if u know what i mean

Old
04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Faterson

Only depends on their wallet.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:21 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
They'll be new Vityaz, if u know what i mean
financially weak club? No, they will have bigger budget than Slovan. I would say the same as Lev. They are able to do it.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
financially weak club? No, they will have bigger budget than Slovan. I would say the same as Lev. They are able to do it.
Or maybe he thinks that they won't make play-offs in the first season but will be a tough club for anyone to beat. Either that or bullies.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
pakovits

Quote:
what makes you think that? hockey is nowhere near as popular in croatia as it is in slovakia or czech republic. it's a marginal sport in croatia.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Mikey09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Or maybe he thinks that they won't make play-offs in the first season but will be a tough club for anyone to beat. Either that or bullies.
thats it little broad street bullies

Old
04-25-2013, 04:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakovits View Post
what makes you think that? hockey is nowhere near as popular in croatia as it is in slovakia or czech republic. it's a marginal sport in croatia.
believe me. it has nothing to do with popularity of sport, but money and club´s management. Look, hockey in Ukraine is marginal, but Donbass has 2-3times bigger budget than Slovan. Croatia is destination no.1 for KHL, Bratislava is just a place where KHL is played, nothing special. Praha is destination no.1 for KHL on the other hand, and has budget cca 19-20 mil euro.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:29 AM
pakovits

Quote:
believe me. it has nothing to do with popularity of sport, but money and club´s management. Look, hockey in Ukraine is marginal, but Donbass has 2-3times bigger budget than Slovan. Croatia is destination no.1 for KHL, Bratislava is just a place where KHL is played, nothing special. Praha is destination no.1 for KHL on the other hand, and has budget cca 19-20 mil euro.
ukraine has its own russia-friendly billionaires who don't mind putting up the cash for this project. there is no one like that in croatia. the only way this happens is if russians pay for it. if they're willing to spend their own money so that the small number of croatian hockey fans can watch higher-quality hockey, i say good luck and thank you, but i don't see how that is sustainable.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:49 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

you answered yourself.

How is sustainable if citizen of USA owns Manchester United, citizen of Russia owns Chelsea London, Sheikh of Qatar owns PSG?

Old
04-25-2013, 05:17 AM
pakovits

Quote:
you answered yourself.

How is sustainable if citizen of USA owns Manchester United, citizen of Russia owns Chelsea London, Sheikh of Qatar owns PSG?
the us citizen owns man united because it makes him money. there is no money to be made from a hockey club in croatia.

chelsea, man city, and psg are owned by people who have more money than they can ever spend and own clubs as status simbols. that's why they own clubs in the worlds most popular sport and on the highest level of the sport. they don't own clubs in a marginal sport in a small and relatively poor country.

what would be the point? what kind of prestige would they get from that?

Old
04-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Faterson

Hockey is not a marginal sport. It's followed around the world. Baseball or "American" football are a lot more "marginal" than hockey, yet they are hugely profitable.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:34 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Fact that hockey is marginal sport in Croatia (as whole country) has nothing to do with eventual Medvescak's entrance in KHL. Medvescak comes from croatian capital of Zagreb, where hockey is for 4th straight season sport no.1 with attendance higher than basketball/handball/soccer.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:35 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Hockey is not a marginal sport. It's followed around the world. Baseball or "American" football are a lot more "marginal" than hockey, yet they are hugely profitable.
He thought that hockey is marginal sport in Croatia, what is true if you think about whole country, but here we are talking about one club from one city.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Valverde

Just a heads-up: Gdańsk still hoping to get in this summer, Mario Czerkawski as a chief executive is already making some calls as far as roster goes... Nothing official yet, but seems to me they're pretty confident they'll play in the KHL next season.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:01 AM
pakovits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Fact that hockey is marginal sport in Croatia (as whole country) has nothing to do with eventual Medvescak's entrance in KHL. Medvescak comes from croatian capital of Zagreb, where hockey is for 4th straight season sport no.1 with attendance higher than basketball/handball/soccer.
even in zagreb, 90% of sports fans are primarily football fans, and basketball is also a lot more popular than hockey.

medveščak has the highest attendance because people are boycotting clubs under control of criminals who only use them for their own enrichment. that doesn't mean hockey has suddenly become hugely popular in zagreb. medveščak has good attendance, but the general interest outside of those who go to games is quite low. it doesn't come close to the interest that cibona use to have when they were half-decent, not to mention dinamo before it was hijacked.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
Just a heads-up: Gdańsk still hoping to get in this summer, Mario Czerkawski as a chief executive is already making some calls as far as roster goes... Nothing official yet, but seems to me they're pretty confident they'll play in the KHL next season.
That's good. I want both Zagreb & Gdańsk to join for the very next season. And Košice (not gonna happen)! The Norwegian & Italian club would be fine, too. (Let alone a Finnish, German, Swiss or Austrian club.)

Old
04-25-2013, 06:08 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
even in zagreb, 90% of sports fans are primarily football fans, and basketball is also a lot more popular than hockey.

medveščak has the highest attendance because people are boycotting clubs under control of criminals who only use them for their own enrichment. that doesn't mean hockey has suddenly become hugely popular in zagreb. medveščak has good attendance, but the general interest outside of those who go to games is quite low. it doesn't come close to the interest that cibona use to have when they were half-decent, not to mention dinamo before it was hijacked.
Yes, but you also have to know that since ex-yugoslavia ceased to exist there were no hockey on level good enough to attract fans. We got that with EBEL league and for me it is not suprise so many fans showed up.

In late 80-s Medvescak also had very good attendance numbers, when they won three titles over mighty slovenian duo Jesenice and Olimpija.

You must be some anti-croatian/medvescak fan, don't you ?

Old
04-25-2013, 06:17 AM
pakovits

nothing of the sort. just trying to be realistic. i am very glad that medveščak in ebel happened. i just don't think it's wise to exaggerate the popularity of hockey in zagreb.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:32 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
nothing of the sort. just trying to be realistic. i am very glad that medveščak in ebel happened. i just don't think it's wise to exaggerate the popularity of hockey in zagreb.
And nobody does that Fans who are filling stands 4th seasons in a row speaks for themselves. Reasons why are fans coming to the games are less important. Fans in stands and soldout games were (only) reason why Medvedev ever came to the idea to talk about Medvescak in KHL.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Nobody is exaggerating anything. Look at the attendances from around Europe - Medvescak is clearly one of the most popular clubs in Europe and there's no reason to believe they will suddenly stop being successful if they move to the KHL. You are the one making unfounded assumptions, and irrelevant claims. Hockey being a minor sport in Croatia may be true, but this has not hindered Medvescak at all.

Closed Thread