HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Do you think that the Oilers would be in the playoffs if they were in the East? I don't think so, maybe a bit higher. I wish we could see if they could be the Jets. The Canucks have zero depth and the Sharks are underachieving again this year. The Caps are playing like they should be and the Rangers are reminding me of the Kings last year. Can see them doing allot of damage if they can avoid the Pens and Crosby in the first round.

I also said that the Southeast was similar to the Northwest division. Three in each division are bottom feeders.
Subtract the losing streak which was induced by the Oilers being out of it in a very strong WC and we're better than the Winnipeg Jets.

The Rangers are the biggest house of cards club going. A joke that they finished first last season and I could see them exiting. To a very normal Devils club at that.

Either of the Sharks or Nucks would go deep in the East this year. At least this year The Pens, Caps, Bruins have finally risen to the top. No pretenders. But I don't see the bottom 5 East playoff teams having much of a chance at anything. In the west all the playoff teams except Columbus are legitimate threats.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Kreuger is not the problem, folks. We've gone through coaches here like Rita MacNeil wolfs down sandwiches (too soon?). Seriously, when do the players have to take the responsibility they deserve? I'm not saying that the coaching has been excellent, but 46 games are not enough time to make that decision. You guys would be lousy investors, flipping stocks at the first sign of trouble. I think Ralph needs at least a full season, and if he doesn't have the complementary players he needs to succeed, that's not his fault.
Kreuger several times this year has commented that the "coachable moments" with this team come after losses. Particularly bad losses. If you look through the schedule and parse through the games one sees that there does appear to be a pattern and for instance a 6-0 loss precipitating the clubs best play of the season in subsequent games.

So what we have here is a bunch of players paying attention only when they are desperate and who otherwise are free agents playing as individuals and not even flirting with the idea of playing 60 system minutes/night. They're just too good for that, right...

WE have a few arrogant players who think they are better than they are young and old alike.

Any GM paying attention to this dynamic should be delivering some fire and brimstone missives outright challenging the players commitment and balls and in defence of the coach who in this org has inhabited the walk the plank position.

The players on this club play exactly like players would on a poor team that has had 4 coaches in 5 years. Because they assume, always, that somebody else walks the plank, never them.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
KlimasLoveChild

We need to bring in a guy with this kind of passion to coach the team

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:44 AM
oilphan

Yup. He is our coach.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Topkatz

We need to be at least looking at Ruff otherwise we don't deserve to play in playoffs.

Topkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkatz View Post
We need to be at least looking at Ruff otherwise we don't deserve to play in playoffs.
Lindy Ruff as the associate coach would be perfect. I know he said on the team 1260 he would do it if it was the right team. Any chance we are that team?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Yeah, this stretch and some of these decision lead me to believe that they may consider making a change with Kruger.

This situation reminds me of Calgary from about 6 years ago, they promoted Jim Playfair(I think that who it was), he wasn't ready and replaced him the next year.

I will say this, it better not be Dave Tippett, I give him full marks for what he's done with the Yotes, but if I have to watch this young talent play that unwatchable hockey, it might drive me to drink.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
DousedInOil

Any other coach in this league that goes from a playoff team at trade deadline to bottom five in the league would be fired. He has a record of 1-9 with 13 goals for. Rookie coach or not, it's unacceptable.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Any other coach in this league that goes from a playoff team at trade deadline to bottom five in the league would be fired. He has a record of 1-9 with 13 goals for. Rookie coach or not, it's unacceptable.
Agreed, I also find it troubling this team can't seem to get shots on goal. I get the Oilers not being "good enough", but no shots, I don't remember it being this bad last year.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, this stretch and some of these decision lead me to believe that they may consider making a change with Kruger.

This situation reminds me of Calgary from about 6 years ago, they promoted Jim Playfair(I think that who it was), he wasn't ready and replaced him the next year.

I will say this, it better not be Dave Tippett, I give him full marks for what he's done with the Yotes, but if I have to watch this young talent play that unwatchable hockey, it might drive me to drink.
Too late for that.

I honestly don't know who the right guy is. Of all the guys available who is going to be the ones to have this group commit to a system? We already have witnessed that Nelson couldn't get these kids to commit yet with a lessor bunch of kids he can get them to work. I don't think a Torterlla is the answer either. We need to find that next MacLean, McLellan or Byslma, but easier said then done.

For the record I'd like to see what Kreuger can do with some better talent, but at the same time he needs to figure out how to adapt better. If his style is to roll lines and it doesn't work because he doesn't have talent, then he better find a better system.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Too late for that.

I honestly don't know who the right guy is. Of all the guys available who is going to be the ones to have this group commit to a system? We already have witnessed that Nelson couldn't get these kids to commit yet with a lessor bunch of kids he can get them to work. I don't think a Torterlla is the answer either. We need to find that next MacLean, McLellan or Byslma, but easier said then done.

For the record I'd like to see what Kreuger can do with some better talent, but at the same time he needs to figure out how to adapt better. If his style is to roll lines and it doesn't work because he doesn't have talent, then he better find a better system.
I like a Quenneville type move by the Oilers, get a guy who's an established coach who can take the team to the next level. I will say Flat Out, that guy is Lindy Ruff, he's a former player, long time NHL coach and has coach the whole spectrum of players(given their talent)

If they're going to make a change, he's the guy you get, imo.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Kreuger is not the problem, folks. We've gone through coaches here like Rita MacNeil wolfs down sandwiches (too soon?). Seriously, when do the players have to take the responsibility they deserve? I'm not saying that the coaching has been excellent, but 46 games are not enough time to make that decision. You guys would be lousy investors, flipping stocks at the first sign of trouble. I think Ralph needs at least a full season, and if he doesn't have the complementary players he needs to succeed, that's not his fault.
I am not sure I need to see another season. 46 games is enough.

No team should lose 9 out of 10.....especially when it was from a playoff position. To me that means the coach has lost the room.

At this point of the development cycle the Oiler's need a coach who is a hard ass systems coach not a fluff girl who is just there make the players feel warm and fuzzy despite losing 9 of 10.

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:59 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Lindy Ruff as the associate coach would be perfect. I know he said on the team 1260 he would do it if it was the right team. Any chance we are that team?
Why would he be an associate of Ralph? He probably means associate to Babcock, Quennville, Hitchcock, or another successful veteran coach.

Under no circumstances should Lindy have to answer to Ralph.

Lindy as Head Coach and Guy Boucher as Associate Coach.... Go!

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Why would he be an associate of Ralph? He probably means associate to Babcock, Quennville, Hitchcock, or another successful veteran coach.

Under no circumstances should Lindy have to answer to Ralph.

Lindy as Head Coach and Guy Boucher as Associate Coach.... Go!
Fair enough. With the way things go around here it's only a matter of time before associate coaches are head coaches. I would offer him an associate position and if the oilers aren't a playoff team by Christmas you promote him.

Obviously I would still love to have him as head coach right off the bat but it doesn't seem like its the oilers style.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Beerfish

Krueger will last until half way through next year when he will be replaced by MacT.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Topkatz

Lets be honest, if they did fire Kreuger I would genuinely not be surprised the read the headline:

Kreuger Fired! Kelly Buchberger hired as new Oilers head coach.

Why is it so funny when all i want to do is cry inside

Topkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Why do they want to go back to the associate coach again? Did it really work that well last time?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
onetweasy

Quote:
Lets be honest, if they did fire Kreuger I would genuinely not be surprised the read the headline:

It is scary to think that it could happen.......and if it does I hand in my "keys" to the team and watch soccer for a few years until the franchise is sorted out......

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetweasy View Post
I am not sure I need to see another season. 46 games is enough.

No team should lose 9 out of 10.....especially when it was from a playoff position. To me that means the coach has lost the room.

At this point of the development cycle the Oiler's need a coach who is a hard ass systems coach not a fluff girl who is just there make the players feel warm and fuzzy despite losing 9 of 10.
Hell yeah.

Bag skate them until they get the message.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Krueger will last until half way through next year when he will be replaced by MacT.
by, the most predicable outcome to the coaching situation. the Oilers will wait till the season is all but lost, then do an internal shuffle. we've it too many times to expect otherwise.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
special blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

What are you drinking now?
I do agree with you completely though. I in no way want to watch our talent coached by Tippett.
Ruff really does seem like the best option out there and i'd like to see it happen. Let him pick his coaching staff though. Enough is enough with the old boys club.

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
special blend

Quote:

Sounds about right for this organization

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I think Krueger is toast. Part of the job is to keep your players motivated, even though the games don't mean anything. It's obvious that the players don't care anymore and are just mailing it in. There's no system.

I think he's in over his head with being a head coach in the NHL. I liked him as an assistant, but not as a head coach.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Subtract the losing streak which was induced by the Oilers being out of it in a very strong WC and we're better than the Winnipeg Jets.

The Rangers are the biggest house of cards club going. A joke that they finished first last season and I could see them exiting. To a very normal Devils club at that.

Either of the Sharks or Nucks would go deep in the East this year. At least this year The Pens, Caps, Bruins have finally risen to the top. No pretenders. But I don't see the bottom 5 East playoff teams having much of a chance at anything. In the west all the playoff teams except Columbus are legitimate threats.
Too bad losses actually count.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by special blend View Post
What are you drinking now?
I do agree with you completely though. I in no way want to watch our talent coached by Tippett.
Ruff really does seem like the best option out there and i'd like to see it happen. Let him pick his coaching staff though. Enough is enough with the old boys club.
Quinn, Renney and Kruger weren't from it though. So, yeah, it's not always so "clear cut"

Edit: Neither was Tambellini.