HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part II]

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Source?

I thought for sure he wanted out after that season ending surgery interview he gave.
Ill search for it, but I think I saw it twice. Once from the Panthers Facebook page and one from Twitter. It was a short video interview with Weiss after the surgery. He was at Incredible Ice in the parking lot and the person talking to him asked about returning and he said " I love it here. I want to be a Panther and retire a Panther. Talks between the organization and I are going good" IMHO, there was a reason why the team went bad was when he was out of the lineup. I know we have a lot more talent now but he is still a great player

Old
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Ill search for it, but I think I saw it twice. Once from the Panthers Facebook page and one from Twitter. It was a short video interview with Weiss after the surgery. He was at Incredible Ice in the parking lot and the person talking to him asked about returning and he said " I love it here. I want to be a Panther and retire a Panther. Talks between the organization and I are going good" IMHO, there was a reason why the team went bad was when he was out of the lineup. I know we have a lot more talent now but he is still a great player
I've only seen that interview he gave to nhl.com right after it was announced that he was done for the season, and that interview had really a sort of a tone that he was looking forward to July 1st and getting out.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:54 PM
AvsFanJosh

I know you guys need forwards more than defence but I have a feeling florida will take the bpa no matter what, please leave us jones !

Old
04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
iam76

with tampas loss think were def top 2. it seems

Old
04-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
with tampas loss think were def top 2. it seems
Tampa won so we are guaranteed Top 3.

-ghoste

Old
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Tampa won so we are guaranteed Top 3.

-ghoste
We were already guaranteed a top 3 because of tiebreaker.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
We were already guaranteed a top 3 because of tiebreaker.
Yep, missed it. You're right.

-ghoste

Old
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

It's still OK to be happy for a Tampa win. They're still #3 in the lottery and they don't need anymore help since we'll be in their division for eternity.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Hyooberdough

Is Jones supposed to be a generational talent, i.e. the Crosby of defense or something similar? Because that's the only way I can see us passing up on Mac, and maybe for good reason...

Old
04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

The Panthers website is in full tank commander mode

http://panthers.nhl.com/index.html

Old
04-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Ricky Bobby

If the Panther win the lottery and gets Jones.

Would the Panthers consider immediately trading one of Kulikov or Gudbranson for another pick in the top 10 so they could draft a forward seeing as Colorado, Tampa, Edmonton, Carolina, Philly all see themselves as teams that should be on the cusp of winning, need help on D and might want a player whose a little further along in their development?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
If the Panther win the lottery and gets Jones.

Would the Panthers consider immediately trading one of Kulikov or Gudbranson for another pick in the top 10 so they could draft a forward seeing as Colorado, Tampa, Edmonton, Carolina, Philly all see themselves as teams that should be on the cusp of winning, need help on D and might want a player whose a little further along in their development?
Most likely no, I don't see us taking Jones if we win the lottery, ad we're right close to winning as well. Closer than several that you mentioned.

04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
I've only seen that interview he gave to nhl.com right after it was announced that he was done for the season, and that interview had really a sort of a tone that he was looking forward to July 1st and getting out.
please forgive me, as I thought this interview was after he had his surgery, but nevertheless, he seems very convincing that he wants to remain a Panther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7My3YsGFp8

Old
04-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyooberdough View Post
Is Jones supposed to be a generational talent, i.e. the Crosby of defense or something similar? Because that's the only way I can see us passing up on Mac, and maybe for good reason...
I think he's as close to being a generational talent as you can get without actually being one. But it's so much harder for a defenseman to be a generational talent than a forward. Jones is going to become a top 5 defenseman imo but i prefer mackinnon. His combo of speed and scoring touch is too hard to pass up for me.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Chino Oscar

vCash: 400
Jonathan Drouin - CHL Player of the Week - Playoffs

http://www.theqmjhl.ca/article/moose..._143034/143034

Old
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Most likely no, I don't see us taking Jones if we win the lottery, ad we're right close to winning as well. Closer than several that you mentioned.
i disagree. if we win the lottery, i do see us taking jones. the consensus seems pretty clear that he's the #1 pick in this draft.

that being said - even if we finish last, there's a 75% chance we don't win the lottery with the way it's set up now.

i don't want us to take jones. i hate taking d-men that high in the draft...too volatile. but if we pick first, i think we will.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i disagree. if we win the lottery, i do see us taking jones. the consensus seems pretty clear that he's the #1 pick in this draft.

that being said - even if we finish last, there's a 75% chance we don't win the lottery with the way it's set up now.

i don't want us to take jones. i hate taking d-men that high in the draft...too volatile. but if we pick first, i think we will.
Top player, yes, but as the Angry Frog quoted from Central Scouting:

"Drouin couldn't have done anything more to push the envelope against MacKinnon and Seth Jones, so that's as tight a gap as you'll ever get between first and third. If you're picking No. 1, 2 or 3, you're a happy team."

Tallon might go BPA, but who is his BPA? We still have the combine in the end of May, so we should get a better feel about the prospects come then. I still think he goes Drouin or Mac.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:37 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Top player, yes, but as the Angry Frog quoted from Central Scouting:

"Drouin couldn't have done anything more to push the envelope against MacKinnon and Seth Jones, so that's as tight a gap as you'll ever get between first and third. If you're picking No. 1, 2 or 3, you're a happy team."

Tallon might go BPA, but who is his BPA? We still have the combine in the end of May, so we should get a better feel about the prospects come then. I still think he goes Drouin or Mac.
I think this explains well the whole situation. The top3 (or even top4 if you want to count Barkov in) is so close to each other that it could be for the best to draft a BPA that the team needs.

Kulikov
Gudbranson
Petrovic
Brennan (you might not agree on this one, but he's looked really good so far)
Matheson

Then there's the possibility that Campbell keeps his high-end play up until close to his 40's, he could still be here when the kids would be ready for a serious run at the cup. Hell, look at how Chicago had their D when they won the cup:

Keith (drafted)
Seabrook (drafted)
Hjalmarsson (drafted)
Campbell (UFA)
Sopel (UFA)
Boynton (UFA)

We need a number one center more than a number one defenceman.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
I think this explains well the whole situation. The top3 (or even top4 if you want to count Barkov in) is so close to each other that it could be for the best to draft a BPA that the team needs.

Kulikov
Gudbranson
Petrovic
Brennan (you might not agree on this one, but he's looked really good so far)
Matheson

Then there's the possibility that Campbell keeps his high-end play up until close to his 40's, he could still be here when the kids would be ready for a serious run at the cup. Hell, look at how Chicago had their D when they won the cup:

Keith (drafted)
Seabrook (drafted)
Hjalmarsson (drafted)
Campbell (UFA)
Sopel (UFA)
Boynton (UFA)

We need a number one center more than a number one defenceman.
And of course you could still draft a defenseman in the 2nd round.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 04-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 08:06 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
We can draft Bowey or Mccoshen (going to boston college, same as matheson.. could spark a bond and create competition) with the 30th/ 31st.

Both look like great picks.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Hello again Panthers fans

Wondering what it would take to get the Avs to move up from 2nd to 1st if that's how the picks turn out and if we want to. Picks? Players? Prospects? Pension plans? Something else beginning with P?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
04-25-2013, 08:34 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Hello again Panthers fans

Wondering what it would take to get the Avs to move up from 2nd to 1st if that's how the picks turn out and if we want to. Picks? Players? Prospects? Pension plans? Something else beginning with P?
Aittokallio + low pick?

Most of us want MacKinnon over Jones and would be pretty happy if Avs or someone else won the lottery and dropped Panthers down to 2nd since we aren't that sure if DT would pass Jones at number one.

OT: Also change that ramen avy, it's disturbing and not in a good way.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Thats actually one of the better philosophies too with the draft. I hope we do go this route cause there will be several good defenders available at our pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
We can draft Bowey or Mccoshen (going to boston college, same as matheson.. could spark a bond and create competition) with the 30th/ 31st.

Both look like great picks.
Both would be quality picks though I think I'd almost rather us try and hit a home run with the selection and take Samuel Morin. There are other options too with guys like Robert Hagg, Mirco Mueller, Keaton Thompson & Steve Santini as well. We should be able to land a solid potential top 4 d-man with our 2nd round pick.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:10 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Thats actually one of the better philosophies too with the draft. I hope we do go this route cause there will be several good defenders available at our pick.Both would be quality picks though I think I'd almost rather us try and hit a home run with the selection and take Samuel Morin. There are other options too with guys like Robert Hagg, Mirco Mueller, Keaton Thompson & Steve Santini as well. We should be able to land a solid potential top 4 d-man with our 2nd round pick.
I figured most of those guys are taken off the board in the first round. I saw Morin jumped quite a few players in the draft lists. Again, prospect combines will sort some of the madness. Hagg may fall as he is in a slump as of late and activated lazy mode apparently. Supposedly had a lackadaisical sort of tread peeking.

Quite excited seeing how petrovic has performed. It kinda gives me the notion of Tallon drafting a forward.

We shall see.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
We should be able to land a solid potential top 4 d-man with our 2nd round pick.
While it's unlikely to happen, Ristolainen could also fall to the 2nd round. You never know with GMs, Maatta was thought last year to surely go in the top10 but fell to 22nd.

Ristolainen is 6'3, just thinking about a top3 of Guds/Petrovic/Ristolainen. Dat mass.

Closed Thread